Your experience of working as an RA during 1L Summer Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chloe18

New

Your experience of working as an RA during 1L Summer

Post by chloe18 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:10 pm

I, like every other law student on this planet, am looking for a job this summer. I am qualified to apply for an RA position with one of the professors I had last semester (received an A- in her class). So my question is to those who already went through the experience... how was it? jow many hours did you work (daily, weekly)? what were your responsibilites/tasks (in detail)? did the connection you've established with the professor help you in the long run? overall, did you enjoy the experience and would you do it again? Thanks so much!

bissey

Bronze

Re: Your experience of working as an RA during 1L Summer

Post by bissey » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:15 pm

Interesting. No advice to offer, but I would think that it would be what you make of it. Curious to see replies though.

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:16 pm

Can't answer your listed questions directly, as I'm still a 1L. But I was offered a RA position with a prof from last semester sua sponte. From what I understand, that is the way it's done, i.e., students don't apply for the job; rather, the prof approaches a student after class or during office hours. Job entails doing research for only 10-15 hours a week for some article the prof plans to write.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:32 pm

I was a paid RA for the law review over the summer. It was nice to be able to work remotely (I did it while I was studying in London). Fairly boring though.

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Last edited by steve_nash on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chloe18

New

Post by chloe18 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:58 am

Thanks to everyone who posted so far. Professor told me that she would hire me as an RA. Do you think at this point she knows if she'll need me full time or part time? I would like to also split my summer doing clerking for a judge (if I get hired of course). She didn't say anything specific, just that I'll be doing research. (thanks, I knew that lol)

I actually like exploring westlaw/lexis so I don't mind the tedious work. I love researching lol :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”