1L Non-grade related competitions Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Should I get involved?

Yes
38%
Depends (Please comment as to why)
19%
Fuck No
44%

Total votes: 16

Welp2277

New

Re: 1L Non-grade related competitions

Post by Welp2277 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:19 pm

betasteve wrote:So - we have a 1L competition coming up - A closing argument competition. Is there absolutely ANY reason why I should get involved in this? I don't have any problems standing and talking in front of people. I am interested in litigation as well. Vote and/or comment.
If you have an interest in litigation, and a little bit of free time, I don't see how it would not be beneficial. It will give you good experience, and it will also provide a good topic of conversation during interviews with litigation firms. If you would rather spend the time posting on TLS, studying, or watching TV it is probably not worth it. Sounds cool though. I'd go for it.

smalltown

New

Post by smalltown » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:24 pm

I'd do it because it's fun. That's enough of a reason. We did a short mock trial competition last semester, and it was really fun. Hardly any people knew the rules of evidence because we hadn't taken it yet, but you learn pretty damn quick. I get irritated with being in the books all the time, so it was a good break to actually interact with people. I wouldn't worry about grades being hurt because of it. It doesn't sound like too much of a commitment.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:27 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:20 pm

It won't be a timesink. Just walk up there, eye everyone, then exclaim, "Beta Steve!" and sit back down.

profs<3mycomments

New

Post by profs<3mycomments » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm doing moot court - the best thing about it is that the competition is at the end of the month. After feb 1 I'm not doing shit but trying to get good grades. I feel like you're in a similar position - do it, put in the time now, and then you won't have to worry about extracurriculars again until next year.

However, the benefits are marginal at best, so if you really don't want to expend the effort, fuck no is also an acceptable position.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”