Any 1Ls feel less motivated than last semester? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Do you feel more motivated this semester or less?

More
38%
Less
62%

Total votes: 73

wiseowl

Silver

Re: Any 1Ls feel less motivated than last semester?

Post by wiseowl » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:44 pm

Kohinoor wrote:I don't know about motivation per se but I feel pretty crummy. No job, waiting on grades, and broke.
here here

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:51 pm

flhealth wrote:we got our grades before the semester started and you can def feel a different vibe already...everyone is getting to class earlier and sitting much closer to the front (no back benching) and people who never opened their mouths last semester and gunning like crazy...other peoples motivation gives me no choice but to take it up a few notches
I wish I could use this as evidence, but our profs this semester are much crazier and less laid back than in the fall, so I think it's more a reaction to that fact than grades. Every prof went out of their way to stress attendance and participation while it wasn't mentioned once last semester. None of that figures into final grades though, so maybe they're 'trying' harder, but in the wrong way.

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:57 pm

My grades were not as good as I would have liked, so I've been in the library pulling 6-8 hours since school started last week. Granted, a lot of what I'm doing is also related to job search: writing cover letters, fixing resume, going through writing sample with a fine tooth comb. Funny thing is, I think this is opposite what most people are doing. Most people don't seem to give a shit, and there's hardly anyone in the library. There does seem to be a different vibe though, but I think that is more due to people reordering the LS hierarchy because of grades.

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:34 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
flhealth wrote:we got our grades before the semester started and you can def feel a different vibe already...everyone is getting to class earlier and sitting much closer to the front (no back benching) and people who never opened their mouths last semester and gunning like crazy...other peoples motivation gives me no choice but to take it up a few notches
Very interesting ... it seems as though I have been observing a different phenomena ... 2 weeks in, people seem to be less talkative (perhaps it is b/c we only have 2 doctrinal classes together this semester).
my school is probably the exception because we have a SUPER HARSH 1L curve (2.57) and if you get less than a 2.0 after the first year, you're gonzo...the system is built so that the atrition rate is around 20% thus the huge sense of urgency that has set in...and from what i've seen so far from some of my classmates, thats a good thing

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:35 pm

Motivation level: about the same

Effort: maybe less, trying to work smarter this semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:47 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:51 pm

legends159 wrote:Motivation level: about the same

Effort: maybe less, trying to work smarter this semester.
it's so much easier now that I kind of know what to do.

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:07 pm

Don't know about less motivated per se, but definitely more hesitant to hit the ground running. I haven't got my grades back yet, so i don't know how/if I should adjust my study strategy, see what works, etc.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:39 pm

betasteve wrote: No grades yet, so maybe a little fear is motivating.
TITCR

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mac.empress

Bronze

Post by mac.empress » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:53 pm

chadwick218 wrote:My hope for this coming semester is that my classmates who performed well become overly confident and forget about what made them successful in the first place while my classmates who performed poorly simply give up on law school.
Evil but CR.

mac.empress

Bronze

Post by mac.empress » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:59 pm

grobbelski wrote:I'm trying to get motivated, but it is hard when my sectionmates keep throwing sweet parties
:lol:

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:04 pm

I am feeling good about things, I am feeling motivated. Everything is going well for me.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:09 pm

Class rank will come out soon. I'm sure that will send more shockwaves of motivation through the masses. Most people have a basic misunderstanding of the curve. A lot of people here think above a 3.0 is median, which in reality above a 3.2 is median. Most are surprised to learn that around a 3.6-3.65ish is top 10 %.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:12 pm

I've had barely any work so far. I have two cases to read for this three-day weekend. Predictably, I have not yet started them. My classes are moving at a snails pace, two of my professors are already behind the syllabus.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:15 pm

Not less motivated, but differently motivated. More drawn to PI than ever, and looking outside the usual places. Very seriously considering that JD/MSW option. Wondering if and how much I'll actually want to practice when this is done. Being a law student suits me (well, except for the constant grading/measuring/comparing) but I wonder how much I'll like actual practice. I love my school, and whatever happens, my JD means a lot to me.

(My one final grade is fine, though my long memo was a bit of a fail. Fortunately it's only 30% of the grade in that class. Therefore, this bit of angst was not GPA based. Still waiting, waiting, waiting on the last.)

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:39 pm

BobSacamano wrote: My classes are moving at a snails pace, two of my professors are already behind the syllabus.
THIS. How does this happen after only a week? Over-ambitious syllabi, or they're all tired out from that last minute grading?

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:23 pm

I'm pretty much the same, at least with motivation. I'm currently working harder, but I think that's just the odd work-flow of LRW this quarter. My goal is to have consistency -- consistent work, consistent rest/chill out time, consistent grades.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

agumon

New

Post by agumon » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:14 am

Compared to fall my motivation is non-existent. Readings are a chore and LRW is a pain. Not to mention career stuff.

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:12 am

chadwick218 wrote:My hope for this coming semester is that my classmates who performed well become overly confident and forget about what made them successful in the first place while my classmates who performed poorly simply give up on law school.

JPeavy44

New

Post by JPeavy44 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:17 am

macattaq wrote:
haha awesome

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”