Living with Parents during Law school? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AngryAvocado

Silver

Re: Living with Parents during Law school?

Post by AngryAvocado » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:14 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:I don't even think my mom would allow me to live at home for my own sake. Law school or not, these are some of the prime years of your life. You'll never be able to live your mid-twenties again, and enjoying these years is well worth the extra couple hundred I'll spend a month paying off loans (if that).

By the way, I got through 4 years of undergrad spending ~12k total for CoL (and I was hardly the epitome of frugality). Granted, living someplace urban would likely double or even triple that, but 60k COL over three years=you're doing it wrong. Live with a roommate (or 3), learn to make some inexpensive meals that will feed you 2-3 times each attempt, and find some places with good drink specials for crying out loud.
So, you spent $3,000 a year in living expenses?! How did you manage that, at a school in the third world?!
It wasn't a bustling metropolis, but wasn't exactly rural either (T30 public). I'll admit that it probably would have come out to about ~15-16k if my parents didn't occasionally chip in for rent and such. The biggest expense was obviously rent, but we found a place for <$1000 and split it 4 ways. Aside from that, I just ate cheap and did almost no extraneous shopping. To be honest, I'll probably be a little less concerned about CoL expenses in law school than I was in UG.

Regardless, the point was that you can live on your own (at many places, at least) without taking on a crippling amount of debt.

frost

Bronze

Post by frost » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:47 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:I don't even think my mom would allow me to live at home for my own sake. Law school or not, these are some of the prime years of your life. You'll never be able to live your mid-twenties again, and enjoying these years is well worth the extra couple hundred I'll spend a month paying off loans (if that).

By the way, I got through 4 years of undergrad spending ~12k total for CoL (and I was hardly the epitome of frugality). Granted, living someplace urban would likely double or even triple that, but 60k COL over three years=you're doing it wrong. Live with a roommate (or 3), learn to make some inexpensive meals that will feed you 2-3 times each attempt, and find some places with good drink specials for crying out loud.
So, you spent $3,000 a year in living expenses?! How did you manage that, at a school in the third world?!
It wasn't a bustling metropolis, but wasn't exactly rural either (T30 public). I'll admit that it probably would have come out to about ~15-16k if my parents didn't occasionally chip in for rent and such. The biggest expense was obviously rent, but we found a place for <$1000 and split it 4 ways. Aside from that, I just ate cheap and did almost no extraneous shopping. To be honest, I'll probably be a little less concerned about CoL expenses in law school than I was in UG.

Regardless, the point was that you can live on your own (at many places, at least) without taking on a crippling amount of debt.
Wow. This would never happen in nyc. I guess that may be one of the reasons I am so glad to stay home. It's a huuuge price difference, not a matter of a 250 a month for rent. Plus I actually did live with roommates for two months in law school and they were so horrible I gladly went running home to my parents... that's a whole other story but I guess it was my bad luck too that's made me feel comfortable living at home under parents who are way less oppressive than bad roommates.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:16 pm

frost wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

Wow. This would never happen in nyc. I guess that may be one of the reasons I am so glad to stay home. It's a huuuge price difference, not a matter of a 250 a month for rent. Plus I actually did live with roommates for two months in law school and they were so horrible I gladly went running home to my parents... that's a whole other story but I guess it was my bad luck too that's made me feel comfortable living at home under parents who are way less oppressive than bad roommates.
Well, 12-15k is still a solid chunk of change, but I have to say, I'm downright impressed that you were able to pull that one off. Good for you man, damn.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:57 pm

My brother lives at home since he works 10 out of every 14 days on the road. Doesn't make sense to get an apartment to only be there 8-10 days a month. When home, he goes out with friends, comes up with reasons to stay at their houses, and drinks heavily. Part of it is where my parents live, but they also grate a little on each other.

And my parents are pretty cool and have let his girlfriends sleep in bed with him, and they generally let him drink, they do his laundry and include him in meals, etc. It's just not your place and limits you from full adulthood. Parents have opinions on your life unless they are just neglectful or demented, and they will express them eventually.

I also think the grade boost from living super close to campus instead of commuting and from avoiding the Everybody Loves Raymond thing is worth a little more debt. Anybody who thinks they'd perform better commuting but being babied should do the opposite.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:06 pm

NayBoer wrote: Parents have opinions on your life[strike]unless they are just neglectful or demented,[/strike]and they will express them eventually, irrespective of where you live.
FTFY

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:11 pm

postitnotes wrote: Sleeping with your long-term S/O in your parents' house isn't reminiscent of high school, considering married couples do it when they visit the parents. If you just relate "sleeping with your S/O" in your parents' house with high school flings, then you haven't matured enough to understand what a long-term relationship entails. If anything wanting to have "sleepovers with boys" is far more reminiscent of adolescent years.

Good lord. I used casual language and was making jokes. I would never equate high school flings with the relationships I've been in since, naturally. I'm not an idiot, thank you.

I've been in serious relationships that lasted several years, kiddo....but we weren't married. Though the relationships were loving and committed, it wasn't marriage. You make the comparison as if they are one in the same. When I'm married or engaged, I'll sleep in the same bed with my husband to be in my parents house. Thats my personal preference...doesn't make it any less or more mature than yours.

I don't like to play house in my parents house.

fongandrew

New

Post by fongandrew » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:24 pm

Do you intend to have a significant other during law school?

Do you intend for this significant other to visit your place anytime during law school?

Do you and your significant other intend to do things in your place that might be incredibly awkward to explain if your parents were to stumble in during and/or overhear said things being done?

Would this awkwardness be totally worth the rent that you'd be saving?

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:27 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
NayBoer wrote: Parents have opinions on your life[strike]unless they are just neglectful or demented,[/strike]and they will express them eventually, irrespective of where you live.
FTFY
Haha. That's true, my parents do nag me over the phone, but the difference is that I can get off the phone quickly with a lie or an excuse. When I was living at home, these naggings would often occur at the dinner table or while I was playing video games. Couldn't really avoid them. And my parents weren't even that bad, but I'd hear comments about my hours, my eating and spending habits, and so on sometimes. It's not that parents can't judge you from 3000 miles away, but it's much easier to not have to hear the criticisms when you don't live with them. Also, when you're at home, your parents sort of expect you to incorporate their suggestions into your life, but if they're not around you all the time, then they don't know or care as much if you don't follow their advice. And that's what it becomes - when you're living by yourself, nagging is much more like unsolicited advice rather than soft-serve demands.

For example, did your parents express an opinion on your fu manchu? 'Cause that's the sort of things parents will register opinions on, but not if they can't see you.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:30 pm

NayBoer wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
FTFY
Haha. That's true, my parents do nag me over the phone, but the difference is that I can get off the phone quickly with a lie or an excuse. When I was living at home, these naggings would often occur at the dinner table or while I was playing video games. Couldn't really avoid them. And my parents weren't even that bad, but I'd hear comments about my hours, my eating and spending habits, and so on sometimes. It's not that parents can't judge you from 3000 miles away, but it's much easier to not have to hear the criticisms when you don't live with them. Also, when you're at home, your parents sort of expect you to incorporate their suggestions into your life, but if they're not around you all the time, then they don't know or care as much if you don't follow their advice. And that's what it becomes - when you're living by yourself, nagging is much more like unsolicited advice rather than soft-serve demands.

For example, did your parents express an opinion on your fu manchu? 'Cause that's the sort of things parents will register opinions on, but not if they can't see you.
I got my dad and brother to also grow one. The inspiration was photos of my dad in the 1980s and 90s.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:56 am

GeePee wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:My mom lives about .5 miles from the law school in question. So I can either take a 1.40 bus ride, a 2 stop subway ride for around the same price, take the 5-10 minute drive depending on traffic, or invest in a bike and be super fit.
There's this thing called "walking." I hear it takes about 6 or 7 minutes to go a half mile... pretty cool if you ask me.
Yes, Or walking is an option too.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:57 am

tesoro wrote:
GeePee wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:My mom lives about .5 miles from the law school in question. So I can either take a 1.40 bus ride, a 2 stop subway ride for around the same price, take the 5-10 minute drive depending on traffic, or invest in a bike and be super fit.
There's this thing called "walking." I hear it takes about 6 or 7 minutes to go a half mile... pretty cool if you ask me.
lol @ buying a bike for a 0.5 mile commute.
Well I'd probably "buy" a bike from a local bike co-op, or used on craigslist or something.. Defiintely not something I would spend more than a $100 on. In addition, if i went the bike route, it wouldnt ONLY be for the commute to and from class...

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:01 am

In response to my mom wanting to feed/clothe/ and give me rides if im at home..

Its not like you ask them to do these things. I currently live in my own apt (bc Im not yet in law school, and have a job) but everytime I go home even for 10 minutes my mom is practically trying to force feed food down my throat. It's just a parental instinct or something.

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:06 am

oberlin08 wrote:
tesoro wrote:
GeePee wrote:
lol @ buying a bike for a 0.5 mile commute.
Well I'd probably "buy" a bike from a local bike co-op, or used on craigslist or something.. Defiintely not something I would spend more than a $100 on. In addition, if i went the bike route, it wouldnt ONLY be for the commute to and from class...
LOL at the fact that the drive takes longer than the walk and you still have to park. Be in super shape walking. Only problem I foresee is bad weather which is the same as a bike.

Or get one of these:

http://www.kk.org/streetuse/6-wheel-segway.jpg

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:08 am

I need to learn to post pics to threads :(

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Its a city so bc of stoplights and things like rush hour traffic or construction, yes the walk would probably be shorter, cheaper and healhier. Segways are sweet though

SmittenMitten

Bronze

Post by SmittenMitten » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:03 pm

If I end up in my hometown (which is my 1st choice) I will definitly live with my dad. But, it would be just me and him,and he works all night- so is asleep by 6pm. I'd probably talk to him less than I do now (I have lived across country for 5+ years). The benefits would be the huge money save on utilities, rent, etc. And I'm pretty sure he'd let me go grocery shopping with him- plus I have a dog and the dog wouldn't be alone all day while I commute to campus. Other than that- if it doesn't work out as well as I hope the first year- I am open to moving into my own place for 2L. Even if I do that-I will have saved about 15K (chicago). Which is worth it I think.

For what its worth, I do everything now on my own- and I have not lived at home since I went to UG. I also know that if I want my clothes to still be wearable-it is best for me to do my own laundry as my father once accidentally used straight bleach instead of detergent on a "darks" load.

PitchO20

Bronze

Post by PitchO20 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:52 pm

I live in Fairfax, VA, a suburb of DC (11 miles outside DC). If I end up going to American, GW, or Catholic, hell if I'm going to increase my debt by moving to ANOTHER DC suburb where I'll still have to commute via metro, but won't save on food, rent, furnishings, etc. Ditto renting a place in the city, where the rent would be astronomical, and it's almost guaranteed I'll have a roommate. On that point, I have nothing against having a roomie, but for the vigorous study of 1L I don't want to take the risk that me and this person have incompatible study habits, living conditions, etc.

I'm no shut in, and I know I'll go out of my way to make class events. It doesn't make sense to toss up a place where I know I'll be able to study, read peacefully, sleep well, get a good meal, etc. and pay more to do it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nazrix

New

Post by Nazrix » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:32 am

Living at home is the best thing I could imagine doing in this economy, especially if you don't have a full ride, you should seriously consider it.... in all honestly, if I were doing interviews and you told me you lived at home to save money, I would applaud you and think that you are the kind of guy I'd like to work with, one who doesn't spend like a drunken sailor.

Take this from someone who blew $60,000 my 2nd year of law school leaving like a king, and who will be pumping your gas in a few years because of it. I will be asking guys like you where a T20 order of the coif like me can get a 40k job.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:29 am

Nazrix wrote:Living at home is the best thing I could imagine doing in this economy, especially if you don't have a full ride, you should seriously consider it.... in all honestly, if I were doing interviews and you told me you lived at home to save money, I would applaud you and think that you are the kind of guy I'd like to work with, one who doesn't spend like a drunken sailor.

Take this from someone who blew $60,000 my 2nd year of law school leaving like a king, and who will be pumping your gas in a few years because of it. I will be asking guys like you where a T20 order of the coif like me can get a 40k job.

Can you enlighten us as to how you spent 60k in one school year? Here I am thinking maybe if I'm lucky, I can get away with spending 60k for all three years for living expenses..

hitmon33

New

Post by hitmon33 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:40 am

Maybe it's just me, but my parents would tell me "no fucking way" if I asked to move in.

WhyBother?

Bronze

Post by WhyBother? » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:47 am

hitmon33 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but my parents would tell me "no fucking way" if I asked to move in.
+1

I moved the month I graduated from undergrad. They tried to be supportive, and we have a great relationship, but they were very worried that if I didn't leave then I never would. My aunts, uncles, and their friends have had a LOT of trouble "getting rid of" their adult children, so I can see their point of view. They just didn't want it to come to that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:24 am

WhyBother? wrote:
hitmon33 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but my parents would tell me "no fucking way" if I asked to move in.
+1

I moved the month I graduated from undergrad. They tried to be supportive, and we have a great relationship, but they were very worried that if I didn't leave then I never would. My aunts, uncles, and their friends have had a LOT of trouble "getting rid of" their adult children, so I can see their point of view. They just didn't want it to come to that.

Interesting. I guess everyone's situation is different. My mom was borderline sad that I didn't want to live with her after UG

Cardboardbox

Bronze

Post by Cardboardbox » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:35 am

I'm trying to grapple with this too.

I've been living at home throughout UG, and now that I'm about to graduate and hopefully go off to LS I figured it'd be time to move out. That was the plan originally as I thought I'd be going to work full time, but now that I've decided to make the desicion to pursue a law degree I'm still kind of thinking about it. I live in NY so CoL is extremely prohibitive, however, the commute to my ideal school would take a good hour at the least. Privacy at home isn't an issue as I have my own entrance and my own part of the home away from the rest. But I keep reading how ideally you'd like to minimize your commute to LS as it's been proven people who live closer to campus (and obviously put in the work :lol:) generally do better than those who have a long commute. I, like everyone else, obviously want to be at the top but I'm wondering if that really holds true and if that slight advantage justifies the extra $36-40k in debt.

iamtaw

Bronze

Post by iamtaw » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:02 pm

fonzerelli wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:I live with my parents.

Essentially, it is terrible. I live off campus, it is difficult to do on campus activities and to socialize. It is extremely perturbing, very frequently. However, I must concede, it is much better than going into a boatload of debt.

I am all about minimizing debt, since I am extremely skeptical about the job market, but, if you are more optimistic, I wouldn't recommend it; living with your parents is incessant, but it is definitely feasible to do it (and do well in LS).

Are you kidding? Living at home is great. Socially frowned upon, sure, but the perks are amazing.

However, I must confess, my Italian Mom cooks awesomely, so I am quite biased.
THE MEATLOAF!!!! MOM!!!!!
what is she doing back there??? i never know what she's doing!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:44 pm

Cardboardbox wrote:I'm trying to grapple with this too.

I've been living at home throughout UG, and now that I'm about to graduate and hopefully go off to LS I figured it'd be time to move out. That was the plan originally as I thought I'd be going to work full time, but now that I've decided to make the desicion to pursue a law degree I'm still kind of thinking about it. I live in NY so CoL is extremely prohibitive, however, the commute to my ideal school would take a good hour at the least. Privacy at home isn't an issue as I have my own entrance and my own part of the home away from the rest. But I keep reading how ideally you'd like to minimize your commute to LS as it's been proven people who live closer to campus (and obviously put in the work :lol:) generally do better than those who have a long commute. I, like everyone else, obviously want to be at the top but I'm wondering if that really holds true and if that slight advantage justifies the extra $36-40k in debt.
Well...that's a little interesting...without debt I would tend to care about my grades much less. Looks like quite the trade-off scenario you've got going there. I'd say for $35 I'll take a hit on my grades.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”