Not going back... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Bankhead

Silver

Re: Not going back...

Post by Bankhead » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:28 am

Oban wrote:Fuck, i had liberal arts classes that were curved by the professor. Often at the start of the quarter he or she would say: "I only give out 3 As" Class size 20-25.

Ouch.
LOL I'd much rather be going up against undergrad liberal arts majors than all you freaks of academic nature. :lol:

that's a compliment btw -- in case of any doubt.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:58 am

Spoonmanners wrote:I know of at least 4 1L's who have already dropped. And that was before finals.

I don't know how those at the bottom of the class continue. Bottom half would have me re-thinking my plan. Hell, not in the top third would make me think of dropping out.
they were probably all in Heidt with me, I swear we lost about 5 students before we even took the final.

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:Got the B school apps done yet?
Yeah... done and interviewed here, done and waiting for interviews at places that have proper admissions rounds instead of rolling admissions. It's crazy how much law school improved my productivity... best tuition dollars I've ever spent.

Spent about as much on app fees as I would have on books for this semester.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:32 am

ShiftyPig wrote:
Yeah... done and interviewed here, done and waiting for interviews at places that have proper admissions rounds instead of rolling admissions. It's crazy how much law school improved my productivity... best tuition dollars I've ever spent.

Good luck.

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:48 am

Our section lost 4 (out of 90) before finals started. With only two days of classes so far I haven't been able to tell who/how many didn't come back after the break.

One had illness problems with both her mother and herself, and two others just didn't feel like it fit. Not sure about why the fourth left.

I think we like to hyper-inflate the importance of what we're doing and try to read too much into it. People drop out of school all the time. I think the effect is just magnified for us since we are looking at the same 90 people every day for 9 months.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:49 am

ShiftyPig wrote:

how many business schools did you apply to?

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:21 pm

betasteve wrote:Jesus, ITE, I don't know who in the fuck would attend B-school. Talk about an epic waste of money. It's like saying, here's 50 grand, now teach me something that is pretty common sense. Oh, and make sure I don't actually get anything out of it.
RIght, because... as I believe I have said directly to you before... a .5L from a midrange law school knows everything about the job market. You're clearly missing the concept of B school. You also must have missed that, as 2009 employment reports come out, MBA programs (at least the caliber I'm looking at) are seeing little to no decline in placing graduates. Meanwhile, as discussed before, NW Law can't find jobs for anyone.

To whomever asked, four.

ANON3333

New

Post by ANON3333 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:31 pm

ShiftyPig wrote:
betasteve wrote:Jesus, ITE, I don't know who in the fuck would attend B-school. Talk about an epic waste of money. It's like saying, here's 50 grand, now teach me something that is pretty common sense. Oh, and make sure I don't actually get anything out of it.
RIght, because... as I believe I have said directly to you before... a .5L from a midrange law school knows everything about the job market. You're clearly missing the concept of B school. You also must have missed that, as 2009 employment reports come out, MBA programs (at least the caliber I'm looking at) are seeing little to no decline in placing graduates. Meanwhile, as discussed before, NW Law can't find jobs for anyone.

To whomever asked, four.
:roll:

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:43 pm

betasteve wrote:
ShiftyPig wrote:

To whomever asked, four.
I was hiring MBA grads for shit sales jobs before you even graduated college. MBA is for networking. However, your personality negates that benefit. The only thing you will have after B-school is a degree that essentially says "Look, I went to school to learn what most people either just plainly understand or can pick up in about 20 minutes."
even a top MBA program is a somewhat risky choice ITE. the premier jobs post MBA are banking/consulting, and they are focusing recruiting efforts on people that had experience in those areas pre-MBA. career-changers are getting slaughtered and often have to go back to their old line of work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:31 pm

betasteve wrote:I was hiring MBA grads for shit sales jobs before you even graduated college. MBA is for networking. However, your personality negates that benefit. The only thing you will have after B-school is a degree that essentially says "Look, I went to school to learn what most people either just plainly understand or can pick up in about 20 minutes."
Cool story... I'm sure that with 1400 MBA programs in the country, you were privileged enough to be hiring for your "shit jobs" out of the top 10.

I worked for a company well within the Fortune 100 and could go back in a heartbeat or use the MBA for something that pays twice as much in the same company without even trying. I had an idea of what I wanted to do with my JD, but 1) I wouldn't even need one, it was more of an over-the-top qualification that would differentiate myself and 2) the consultant we used in that role got cut from our budget as of mid-August 2009. But clearly, you already knew that about me. I already have an in on a Summer 2011 internship, yet I can't network. That said, are most of the people on here in that position? No. Is dropping out of law school for B-school for everyone? No. Most people even? No. Me? Yeah... the law degree was probably the stupid choice in the first place. But, it cost me exactly $3588 for one semester - as I mentioned in my post that set off your rant, the productivity training alone was worth that.

Leave it to a mod of all people to turn an attrition discussion into an "I know everything about b-school" peacocking display.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:35 pm

ShiftyPig wrote:Meanwhile, as discussed before, NW Law can't find jobs for anyone.
ShiftyPig, I think that you are making the correct decision. I concur that the decline in hiring at the top business schools is far less than dramatic than at any of the top law schools. I have also taken the GMAT (although my score dates back a couple of years) and recently sent out a batch of applications to a select few schools that I would entertain attending if admitted.

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:38 pm

The person with the top grades going into finals dropped out the week before they began. She just decided she liked her old career better.

We thought another guy dropped out over the break, because he did not show up to class first week back. But someone saw him at the gym and apparently he just thought first week was an epic waste of time.

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:33 pm

betasteve wrote:Oh... I guess I was just mimicing your "I know everything about law schools and who should or shouldn't attend and why" peacocking display you've displayed in the vast majority of your posts.

171, now 172 posts... and that's the best you could muster. When I talk about law schools, I cite articles - as you may or may not remember from the Northwestern discussion. And I have never told anyone what is best for them.

Yet, Mr. Account Executive who can't define "vast majority" and managed the amount I would spend in a day on things that I would wager you have seen on television, somehow, in his role that didn't even require a B.S., claims to have hired MBA's to work under him and knows everything there is to know about B-school. You do realize that there are about 1400 MBA programs in the country, right? That would put about 5/6's of them worse than Cooley Law on a comparative basis. I'm sure the people who go T14 are equally f**ked as Cooley grads.

I get it, you had to bust your balls to get where you are. Cool, but don't take it out on those of us who didn't have to do the same.

Edit because Photobucket is crap.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:45 pm

betasteve wrote:I never said I know everything there is to know about B-schools. However, dropping LS and thinking the prospects at B-school are rosy is fucking retarded. Also, if you were able to spend in a day the amount of money I managed, you wouldn't need to be going to school at all.
Right, because I can just run off with company money. Good one.

I've already admitted, in multiple threads I believe, that leaving law school for b-school is dependent on the individual's situation. Cue Captain Moderator bonzai-ing into the thread... I don't know why the fuck anyone would...... when the situation warrants. I can't help it if you still feel aggrieved and have to fight whatever fight it is you want, making stuff up and moving the goalposts along the way. Meanwhile, I'm going to go apply for a greeter job at Walmart so I can one-up the Fortune 10 gig you got with your high school diploma.

letsrun

New

Post by letsrun » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:55 pm

Betasteve talks smack on the internet because he's such a young child in real life.

letsrun

New

Post by letsrun » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:58 pm

Betasteve you are such a pimp. What was your LSAT score?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:16 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:40 pm

betasteve wrote:You are accosting me for "making stuff up" but then attempt to insult the job I had which you know nothing about. Pot meet kettle.
Afterwards, I excelled in that position, later taking a job as an account exec at a Fortune 10 company managing over $4 mil in accounts, where I did well until both paying off school debts and rekindling my desire to complete my B.S and pursue law school.
Unless you were making it up then, I'm failing to see how I'm making up that 1) the job didn't need a B.S. and 2) that managing a $4 million account for a company that must do $120 billion plus in revenue is a drop in the bucket. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you either sold oil, electronics, cars (probably not, that's barely one lot worth of vehicles), or ordered stuff to put in Walmarts. Despite your best efforts, you can only manufacture so much prestige out of managing $4 million worth of activity from University of Phoenix MBA's. FYI, $4 million would get you about a dozen production trailers to sit empty for a week or a gold-level sponsorship to one, not both, of our events.

I'm going to dinner, but trust me, we are having a proper LOL at why a moderator would go on such an obvious and poor wind-up. Actually, also why anyone would post 14000+ times on an Internet forum, but to each his own.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:46 pm

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:58 pm

FWIW - I had a good meal today. It was a meatball sub at Firehouse. A friend recommended it to me and he was right, it was greatness!
:wink:

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:08 pm

nontradintexas wrote:FWIW - I had a good meal today. It was a meatball sub at Firehouse. A friend recommended it to me and he was right, it was greatness!
:wink:
Firehouse is so often forgotten in the hierarchy of sub-sandwich franchises. It lacks the national ad power of a Subway or a Quizno's, nor are they adept at mastering local market niches the way Jimmy John's does. Really a shame, too...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:17 pm

letsrun wrote:Betasteve you are such a pimp. What was your LSAT score?
I reiterate, who the fuck are you?

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:49 pm

betasteve wrote:Sent via PM to me:
letsrun wrote:Send me your resume please so I can compare it to mine.

Thank you sir.
lolololol
Um, aren't you a mod? Publishing PMs, "private" messages, is thoroughly unprofessional. This whole thing between you two is already puerile enough - no need to damage your credibility as a moderator here with such behavior.

ETA: And after consulting with my internet-governance spouse, probably actionable, as whoever wrote to you had an expectation of privacy. Just a heads up, as this is a law school forum.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:12 pm

ITT: Beta courts arrest by the Internet police.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:25 pm

betasteve wrote:
mbw wrote:
betasteve wrote:Sent via PM to me:
letsrun wrote:Send me your resume please so I can compare it to mine.

Thank you sir.
lolololol
Um, aren't you a mod? Publishing PMs, "private" messages, is thoroughly unprofessional. This whole thing between you two is already puerile enough - no need to damage your credibility as a moderator here with such behavior.

ETA: And after consulting with my internet-governance spouse, probably actionable, as whoever wrote to you had an expectation of privacy. Just a heads up, as this is a law school forum.
You're shitting me, right?
1) You didn't need to explain to me the meaning of PM.
2) puerile, really? Childish or juvenile wasn't an option for you? I know.. you had to sound smart, huh?
3) Lol on your ETA.
You know, I only said something because you've done it before. And, yeah, I knew you would probably pull the high-school-popular-kid schtick when I pointed it out, but what you did was pretty much an abuse of your position. It wouldn't have been cool if you were just a regular poster. But you're not.

And, yeah, I expect to be trashed. Whatev.

heh. I went for puerile because I couldn't remember how to spell juvenile and didn't feel like looking it up :roll: But thanks for helping out. Won't forget it again.
Last edited by mbw on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”