Cross-section grades Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nickwar

Bronze

Cross-section grades

Post by nickwar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:52 pm

This is probably a stupid question, but how do cross-section grades work? Ie -- if I am ranked 33 of 100 in my section, will I be ranked in the same percentile when all sections' grades are combined? Or are cross-sectional grades calculated with raw test scores, even though each professor's test is different?

Either way seems to have unfair qualities. Ie -- sections might benefit from an abnormally easy/difficult test or have higher/lower performing students.

Anyone know how this usually works?

kyle

New

Re: Cross-section grades

Post by kyle » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:39 pm

edit - i suck at math

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:34 pm

I hear that my section has a harder curve....which really sucks because they people in my section seem much smarter than the other section. I think some section stacking went on, unfortunately.

nickwar

Bronze

Post by nickwar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:43 pm

So in other words a stacked section will probably end up hurting you when all sections' grades are combined? If raw test scores are used, this wouldn't necessarily be the case, but I don't know how they do it.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:45 pm

nickwar wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but how do cross-section grades work? Ie -- if I am ranked 33 of 100 in my section, will I be ranked in the same percentile when all sections' grades are combined? Or are cross-sectional grades calculated with raw test scores, even though each professor's test is different?

Either way seems to have unfair qualities. Ie -- sections might benefit from an abnormally easy/difficult test or have higher/lower performing students.

Obviously, I can only speak to the experiences at my school, but some classes varied quite a bit between sections. For example, my con law prof graded around a 2.5 curve while the other two sections graded around a 3.0-3.1. A lot of us complained, but there really wasn't much we could do about it in the end. Just the way things go. I busted my ass in that class hoping that I would at least reach the median of the other sections so I wouldn't be at a disadvantage.....and hoped that my other classes would even everything out. No way around it, if your school isn't good about keeping similar curves between sections, you may get screwed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:49 pm

orangeswarm wrote:
nickwar wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but how do cross-section grades work? Ie -- if I am ranked 33 of 100 in my section, will I be ranked in the same percentile when all sections' grades are combined? Or are cross-sectional grades calculated with raw test scores, even though each professor's test is different?

Obviously, I can only speak to the experiences at my school, but some classes varied quite a bit between sections. For example, my con law prof graded around a 2.5 curve while the other two sections graded around a 3.0-3.1. A lot of us complained, but there really wasn't much we could do about it in the end. Just the way things go. I busted my ass in that class hoping that I would at least reach the median of the other sections so I wouldn't be at a disadvantage.....and hoped that my other classes would even everything out. No way around it, if your school isn't good about keeping similar curves between sections, you may get screwed.
That is such b.s. crap, how can they get away with this? I think this is even worse than shady self-reported employment statistics. :x

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:55 pm

This doesn't apply to my school, but another interesting thing to consider is scholarships that require you to maintain X GPA./class ranking. When you get placed in the same section with the other scholarship recipients under similar guidelines, some people can't finish in a certain percentage/GPA range.

Bye-bye scholarship.

This is more a warning to keep things in mind for the newbies coming in. Be certain to consider this.

Hope everyone is well.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:04 pm

Yea, those are the people that I feel sorry for. A lot of people have no idea that a school would stack sections with scholarship recipients until long after they begin school. I still can't believe some schools would stoop that low. Talk about being shady.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:05 pm

This makes me really glad we don't have sections

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nickwar

Bronze

Post by nickwar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:24 pm

aguyingeorgia wrote:This doesn't apply to my school, but another interesting thing to consider is scholarships that require you to maintain X GPA./class ranking. When you get placed in the same section with the other scholarship recipients under similar guidelines, some people can't finish in a certain percentage/GPA range.

Bye-bye scholarship.

This is more a warning to keep things in mind for the newbies coming in. Be certain to consider this.

Hope everyone is well.
This is exactly my concern. I may be playing conspiracy theory here, but pretty much every single person in my section has a scholarship and seems like an overly-hard worker. Now that our first grades have come out, our teacher says our class has been the best he's ever seen -- not exactly comforting at a school with a 2.9-3.1 curve.

I've done fairly well so far, but I can't help but recognize the implications stacking a section with scholarship students might have.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:26 am

nickwar wrote:
aguyingeorgia wrote:This doesn't apply to my school, but another interesting thing to consider is scholarships that require you to maintain X GPA./class ranking. When you get placed in the same section with the other scholarship recipients under similar guidelines, some people can't finish in a certain percentage/GPA range.

Bye-bye scholarship.

Hope everyone is well.
This is exactly my concern. I may be playing conspiracy theory here, but pretty much every single person in my section has a scholarship and seems like an overly-hard worker. Now that our first grades have come out, our teacher says our class has been the best he's ever seen -- not exactly comforting at a school with a 2.9-3.1 curve.

I've done fairly well so far, but I can't help but recognize the implications stacking a section with scholarship students might have.
You're playing conspiracy theory. Schools give out tons of scholarships, and I think the 'stacked section myth' is just a pervasive urban legend. Of course, if a school gives ~40% of their students scholarship money, every section will look 'stacked' because mathematically 40% of each section will have a scholarship they may lose... but I don't think there's any evidence that schools disproportionately stack.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”