0L Prep

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SherlockShokralla

New

0L Prep

Postby SherlockShokralla » Tue May 14, 2019 10:12 pm

So, I'm pretty set on prepping for 1L, and I already know the 3 subjects that will be taught in the fall. My question is why do a lot of the guides recommend to read all 6 E&E books? Is there an extra benefit to reading all 6 before 1L, or did they just not know what classes they were going to take?

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Re: 0L Prep

Postby BeeTeeZ » Tue May 14, 2019 11:10 pm

SherlockShokralla wrote:So, I'm pretty set on prepping for 1L, and I already know the 3 subjects that will be taught in the fall. My question is why do a lot of the guides recommend to read all 6 E&E books? Is there an extra benefit to reading all 6 before 1L, or did they just not know what classes they were going to take?

1L courses always include torts, civ pro, property, contracts, crim, and con law. When you take each course depends on your school/section, so such guides wouldn't prescribe studying one subject over/before another.

FWIW, I have no idea what guides you're talking about, and I think it would be a waste of time to read E&E's during 0L.

SherlockShokralla

New

Postby SherlockShokralla » Tue May 14, 2019 11:27 pm

BeeTeeZ wrote:FWIW, I have no idea what guides you're talking about, and I think it would be a waste of time to read E&E's during 0L.

I'm referring to Arrow's and Ken's. Both reference some intense 1L prep, but I was wondering why all the books if you'll only have 3 in your first semester. Also, I understand that 0L prep isn't usually recommended but I'm not really reading them to "learn" the law. I'm reading primarily to just get train myself to sit down and read and to familiarize myself with terms and rough concepts. Is that good?

Sls17

Bronze

Postby Sls17 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:24 am

I seriously doubt that will be a good use of your time before classes start. You may very well wind up confusing yourself or burning out early. I urge you to just enjoy yourself until classes start, at which time you’ll be immersed in this stuff and figuring it out with plenty of support, guidance, and reinforcement.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:07 am

SherlockShokralla wrote:I'm reading primarily to just get train myself to sit down and read and to familiarize myself with terms and rough concepts. Is that good?

No.

There is literally no point to doing this.

MrAdultman

New

Postby MrAdultman » Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
SherlockShokralla wrote:I'm reading primarily to just get train myself to sit down and read and to familiarize myself with terms and rough concepts. Is that good?

No.

+1

Read Getting to Maybe if you want. I found it helpful. I also found the TLS/TLS guides helpful, just because it's good to come in on day one knowing what an exam is and how to tailor your study to excelling on them. Reading the E&Es is at best overkill, and at worst counterproductive.

WinterComing

Silver

Postby WinterComing » Wed May 15, 2019 2:22 pm

MrAdultman wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

No.

+1

Read Getting to Maybe if you want. I found it helpful. I also found the TLS/TLS guides helpful, just because it's good to come in on day one knowing what an exam is and how to tailor your study to excelling on them. Reading the E&Es is at best overkill, and at worst counterproductive.

+2

Agree exactly with what Adultman said. I found Getting to Maybe helpful, and maybe there are other similar guides that could be useful. But don't do anything substantive on the law. I think it's likely to be counterproductive because (1) you might confuse yourself, (2) you'll do best if you learn the subjects in the way that your professor teaches them, and (3) 1L is long and draining and starting early means you might be dragging at exam time.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:55 pm

+3. Law school isn't that different from undergrad in this respect: sure, the 1L curriculum is far more standardized from school to school, but you have no idea what your prof is going to focus on or what they're going to find interesting, and remembering/regurgitating that (with respect to a new fact pattern) is where the points are at exam time. (And this can extend all the way to "terms and rough concepts" - my torts class basically never learned about any of the intentional torts, and my property class was easily less than 10% interpretation-of-wills stuff.) There's a decent chance of lulling yourself into some false sense of security and an even stronger likelihood that you'll at least be wasting your time. If you're going to read beforehand, probably better to focus on (1) guides to doing well in law school, as others have said; (2) more general interest writing that will keep up your close reading and analysis skills; and/or (3) stuff you enjoy that you simply won't have time for once 1L starts.

New

Postby 265489164158 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:41 am

I would get in the habit of reading a daily newspaper and possibly the New Yorker, but would not try to teach yourself from guides or supplements. Professors want their phrases and explanations on your mind, not something from an E&E. Just try to enjoy your life for now.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Postby lawhopeful100 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:36 am

For what it's worth, I prepped before law school and thought it helped. Finished about top 3% after 1L year at a T1 regional school (I was a 2016 grad). I read the E&Es, and looked at the hornbooks for the 1L subjects and read getting to maybe a few times in the spring of my last year of college because I had a really low key schedule my senior year. Then over the summer I would take all the practice tests I could find that had sample answers (back when I did it I think Berkley had a bunch online). I would echo what I think others have said that your teachers will likely teach their own version of your course, so I wouldn't get caught up on like knowing the law cold or remembering specifics. Rather, I thought the important point for me was just practicing taking law exams. I prob had done 25 or so before 1L started, and most people prob hadn't taken more than 2 before fall finals. Again, this all might not have made a difference, but I think law exams are like anything else where practice gets you better, and I thought taking a bunch over the summer helped. I also think having a general familiarity with the principles of 1L classes made learning them easier, but that may be a side point.

Edit: Btw, I think this topic has been addressed a bunch of times on this forum, so you can probably search prior threads if you want more opinions.

SherlockShokralla

New

Postby SherlockShokralla » Thu May 23, 2019 10:55 pm

Thank you so much everyone! I appreciate your advice and perspectives, it’s helped calm a lot of my nerves down. I wanted to start early because I guess I wasn’t happy with my performance in Undergrad, and wanted to really start law school with a bang and do much better. I can see now that I might have to rethink how I’m going to get myself in shape for 1L. I’ll definitely read Getting to Maybe and just look over law exams to get a good idea. Thank you :)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students?