What EXACTLY is a synthesis for LRW Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
pbarber

New

What EXACTLY is a synthesis for LRW

Post by pbarber » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:40 am

Got a synthesis due for LRW soon and can't really wrap my head around what he is expecting from us. Due to the anonymous grading, he won't look at our papers to even tell us if we r on the right track. If there are any examples on-line that anyone knows of that would be a huge. However ANY AND ALL help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

pbarber

New

Re: What EXACTLY is a synthesis for LRW

Post by pbarber » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:23 am

anyone?

Redzo

Bronze

Post by Redzo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:58 am

What did your teacher say that it is?

pbarber

New

Post by pbarber » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:04 am

Well he doesn't really explain it all, from what I've gathered, it's an explanation for the rule. We have a case, and some precedents. He wants us to pull the rule from the precedents and explain them, but doesn't explain how to go about this exactly. I can explain the rule in one paragraph, and it needs to be a minimum 5 pages

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:22 am

pbarber wrote:Well he doesn't really explain it all, from what I've gathered, it's an explanation for the rule. We have a case, and some precedents. He wants us to pull the rule from the precedents and explain them, but doesn't explain how to go about this exactly. I can explain the rule in one paragraph, and it needs to be a minimum 5 pages
How many cases are there? When you say you can explain the rule in one paragraph, perhaps you are talking about the black letter law? Your job then is to summarize the cases in the form of sub-rules. The cases don't necessarily contain the exact language you need. Rather, you need to synthesize or summarize the holdings of the various cases.

Just for full disclosure, I have no idea what a synthesis is. I'm gathering that your professor wants a rule statement. Still, five pages seems like a bit much for a rule statement unless you are discussing multiple elements or something like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:31 am

If it's five pages, then he wants something like an internal memo that a junior associate would turn in to a partner to explain the state of law on a particular point. So, like, if you were given the facts of a potential burglary and asked to discuss whether it is a burglary under your state's law, you would say, essentially, here's the burglary statute, here are the sub-elements, here are the pertinent facts, here are which facts cut which way, here are some cases that might lean the other way, the facts in our case are more analogous to the facts in X case than in Y case because of Z, here's my conclusion (prediction of which way the facts will turn out).

pbarber

New

Post by pbarber » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:50 pm

Thanks guys, that def helps a lot

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”