I need some advice from anyone who's taken Law Preview!! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
albiceleste09

New

I need some advice from anyone who's taken Law Preview!!

Post by albiceleste09 » Tue May 31, 2011 6:36 pm

Ok so here's the situation: I received a scholarship to attend the Law Preview program from a law firm that sponsors students who intend to enroll at a specific law school, call it X law school. I thought I was going to attend X law school this fall so i applied for the scholy. I had to show them my acceptance letter from X law school when I applied. However, I ended up getting off of the wait list at another law school, call it Y law school, and I have decided to attend Y instead of X.
I guess my question for previous Law Preview scholly recipients or participants is this: will I be able to accept the scholy money for Law Preview even though I will not be attending X law school anymore? The instructions say students qualify to apply for the scholly if they 'intend' to enroll, which I did at the time I applied, but doesn't specify whether it matters that I actually end up attending that particular school or not.
Is there a way that the sponsoring law firm will be able to find out that I'm not planning to attend X law school anymore? Do they even care? Thanks for the advice!

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Re: I need some advice from anyone who's taken Law Preview!!

Post by socraticmethodman » Tue May 31, 2011 7:08 pm

I have never done law preview, but each firm sponsors students from a select school. With that being said, I'm sure the firm would care if you used their scholarship and then attended a school they do not sponsor. Will they catch you? I'm not sure.

If I were you, I would just contact the firm and let them know about your situation.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Tue May 31, 2011 10:33 pm

The above fellow said what I thought you should do. Your not attending the school, the scholarship was provided by the firm, but it was based on your intent to attend. Yeah, you really should ask the firm.

Most likely, I got to attend Law Preview through the same type of scholarship. It's okay. The LRW day is a wash, nothing you won't learn in the first couple of days - unless your school doesn't teach you how to look through the books. Honestly, most of the stuff they're going to teach are very basic things. They attempt to do a comprehensive review of things, which is helpful, but there's no way you'll be able to cram it all in.

My advice - take it if it's okay with the firm and school. Do the assignments to learn how to brief and such. Don't be one of those poeple who tries to take notes on everything or tries to type up the class. I was one of those people. Trust me when I say it won't help. Take as few notes as possible and just listen to try to get a primer for the subjects.

P.S. I would have never told someone to take it if they were paying full price. Ever.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Tue May 31, 2011 10:37 pm

albiceleste09 wrote:Ok so here's the situation: I received a scholarship to attend the Law Preview program from a law firm that sponsors students who intend to enroll at a specific law school, call it X law school. I thought I was going to attend X law school this fall so i applied for the scholy. I had to show them my acceptance letter from X law school when I applied. However, I ended up getting off of the wait list at another law school, call it Y law school, and I have decided to attend Y instead of X.
I guess my question for previous Law Preview scholly recipients or participants is this: will I be able to accept the scholy money for Law Preview even though I will not be attending X law school anymore? The instructions say students qualify to apply for the scholly if they 'intend' to enroll, which I did at the time I applied, but doesn't specify whether it matters that I actually end up attending that particular school or not.
Is there a way that the sponsoring law firm will be able to find out that I'm not planning to attend X law school anymore? Do they even care? Thanks for the advice!
I got the scholarship, too. My sponsor says I need to let them know if I ultimately decide not to attend the law school they are affiliated with for the purpose of the scholarship. I wouldn't be deceptive if I were you.

fatdouche

New

Post by fatdouche » Tue May 31, 2011 10:51 pm

Lying is never good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”