UC Hastings Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
thedumbwaiter

New

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Post by thedumbwaiter » Fri May 20, 2011 5:33 pm

kapital98 wrote:Has anyone off the waitlist received their financial aid package?
Last edited by thedumbwaiter on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Fri May 20, 2011 5:39 pm

zengyy wrote: There is a rumor going on that UC Hastings is very competitive (people hid or tore books). How do you feel bout that? Did you ever notice anything? Are people friendly, i.e. if you miss a class, is it easy to borrow somebody's note?
Never saw it. Never experienced it. Never had trouble finding any supplements, etc. I needed from the library.

People are as friendly as they are anywhere else. Unless you wind up sitting next to the random jerk you will have no problem getting notes for a missed class.
zengyy wrote:How about the career services? What portion of people got 1L summer job based on students you know? Are they happy with the jobs if they got any?
I only know maybe 2-3 people who still were searching for something by spring semester's end. Most everyone else is relatively happy enough, I suppose. The job search can be frustrating, especially as time marches on and April draws near/to a close. But most folks wind up with something, and a lot of it is pretty interesting: I personally know 2-3 at the SF DA's, 1 at USA, a couple at the SF PD. A federal judge here, fed agency there. That's just my section. But I have a relatively small circle of friends/acquaintances, so maybe my info isn't very telling.

The trick here is not to rely on OCS to do anything for you. They're sort of helpful in some ways. I used them pretty much only to go over my resume. They put on some more or less helpful roundtables and provide some other basic advice. But they're not going to get a job for you. The more work you put into it, and early, the better.
zengyy wrote:Are professors easily accessible?
Yes. Walk up after class or go to office hours. In fact, go to office hours. They'll enjoy it and you might get insight on how they're gonna test you.
zengyy wrote:What do you like the most about Hastings? And what do you think can improve?
The city. The sky room. The Gold Reading Room.

Improve? I guess I don't really have any real gripes. They could certainly give me more money. Oh. And we lost a couple of professors this year to other schools. One top-shelf ConLaw prof went to ... Davis. That's absurd, and the school should be ashamed. So, maybe they could work on faculty retention.

beaniew

New

Post by beaniew » Fri May 20, 2011 5:50 pm

@Zengyy to supplement ozarkhack's response

Competitiveness: There a plenty of d-bags in law school. This is true no matter where you go. So, there are d-bags at Hastings, like everywhere else. That doesn't mean people are hiding books, etc., (what benefit would they possibly obtain from such conduct, anyway). I never had a problem with notes - everyone hooked me up. My advice is to find of good group of friends and ignore all the craziness. There will be some posturing, especially by the insecure. Ignore this shit and don't hang out with those kind of people.

Jobs: most people volunteer for 1L summer. Finding a paid internship is hard even at the top schools during 1L summer. Try to get job lined up early so you are not thinking about this during spring finals. What really matters is whether you get a good 2L job that can lead to a permanent offer. I'm sure you guys already know this, but the job market fucking sucks right now. What this means for you guys at Hastings is that you need to fucking kill it if you want a decent job. I'm fucking serious about this. I'm talking top 10 percent of the class. Look guys/girls, your going 120k in the hole. You can put your life on hold for 9 months and bust your balls. Leave nothing on the table - work like you never worked before. Your 1L grades will dictate your career options for much of your career. The better the grades, the more flexibility you will have. Shitty grades and its going to be very, very tough.

Career center: They do what they can, but that really isn't very much. You guys are largely on your own. Sorry.

Sorry this didn't sound so positive. That has nothing to do with Hastings. There are simply too many lawyers and not enough jobs. Do yourselves a favor and fight like hell to end up in the top 25%, at least. If you bomb first semester, don't be afraid to walk away. It might be better than doing doc review as a contract atty making $18/h with no bennies.

Lastly, I love Hastings. I met some cool peeps there and generally had a great time there. I also received a great education. That doesn't necessarily lead to a great job, unfortunately.

Best of luck!!

OklahomasOK

Bronze

Post by OklahomasOK » Fri May 20, 2011 9:07 pm

Question to any 1L's or anyone who would know: How does Hastings deal with students wanting to pursue a dual degree? I'm thinking about suicide...err I mean pursuing a JD/PhD. It it sort of create-your-own program with a legal focus? Furthermore, where would I take the classes for the PhD? Berkeley?

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sat May 21, 2011 9:46 am

OklahomasOK wrote:Question to any 1L's or anyone who would know: How does Hastings deal with students wanting to pursue a dual degree? I'm thinking about suicide...err I mean pursuing a JD/PhD. It it sort of create-your-own program with a legal focus? Furthermore, where would I take the classes for the PhD? Berkeley?
I'm also interested in this. How easy is it to qualify for classes at Berkely? Do you have to go through the taxing normal admissions process? UC San Francisco seems the logical, albeit less prestigious, alternative to Berkeley.

P.S. Studying for the GRE during law school does not sound like a good idea...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Sat May 21, 2011 10:21 am

kapital98 wrote:
OklahomasOK wrote:Question to any 1L's or anyone who would know: How does Hastings deal with students wanting to pursue a dual degree? I'm thinking about suicide...err I mean pursuing a JD/PhD. It it sort of create-your-own program with a legal focus? Furthermore, where would I take the classes for the PhD? Berkeley?
I'm also interested in this. How easy is it to qualify for classes at Berkely? Do you have to go through the taxing normal admissions process? UC San Francisco seems the logical, albeit less prestigious, alternative to Berkeley.

Apparently Hastings does allow some kind of joint-degree program (LinkRemoved). But it looks like there's nothing formal set up and that you have do all the planning/coordinating yourself. You can get an MBA from Berkeley.

Also, I know Hastings lets you take up to 6 credits from another grad school. This presumably can be from anywhere, but I think a common approach is to take a couple of Biz classes from Haas. Or some health stuff from UCSF. I don't think you'd have to endure a regular admissions ordeal.

OklahomasOK

Bronze

Post by OklahomasOK » Sat May 21, 2011 1:18 pm

kapital98 wrote:

Hmm... I know the Econ department is pretty staunch (admission standards) but I wonder if being at Hastings for Law would help.

I'm taking the GRE this summer before even starting law school, the only thing I want to concentrate on is law school... during law school.

trojanlover

New

Post by trojanlover » Sun May 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Hey guys,
Can someone tell me what the admitted student password and username are? I can't seem to find my acceptance letter and I'm trying to fill out the new student info today. You can PM me the password if you want. Thanks!!!

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:16 pm

trojanlover wrote:Hey guys,
Can someone tell me what the admitted student password and username are? I can't seem to find my acceptance letter and I'm trying to fill out the new student info today. You can PM me the password if you want. Thanks!!!
PM'd :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:16 pm

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Thu May 26, 2011 4:53 am

ilovesf wrote:
rebelx13 wrote: Not sure about pictures as the housing site has very basic and generic photos. I'm planning on going there this week (assuming everything my schedule works out) and taking a look at the studio sizes. 500 square feet doesn't mean much in paper. Just not a fan of the academic year lease. Wish it was semester instead. I'd like to have an out if my roommate moves out or the like.
Would you be able to take a picture with your phone or something of the tower apts you see and post them here? It could be helpful for people who are trying to decide whether to live there or not. I saw a studio while I visited and it was bigger than I thought it would be.. I'm a really bad judge of space and can't really get a grasp of space based on square footage either.
Rising 3L at Hastings here.

I lived in the Tower during my 1L and loved and hated it equally. Loved how close it was to school (this is a HUGE plus, especially after having a 45min commute 2L year), loved having friends around. Hated how small and overpriced my place was and how incredibly loud it is 24/7. If you are a light sleeper and get annoyed by noise like I do, don't live there. It drove me insane, especially the sirens every 15-30 mins going down Market. I also hated how every place has a tiny excuse for a kitchen because I love cooking. That said, I know plenty of people who stayed there due to its convenience.

Feel free to ask any other questions. PM me because I'll probably forget otherwise.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu May 26, 2011 7:56 am

I saw people writing in other groups about submitting their second deposit.. we don't have one right? I'm just asking because I'm insanely paranoid.

restless

New

Post by restless » Thu May 26, 2011 1:00 pm

ilovesf wrote:I saw people writing in other groups about submitting their second deposit.. we don't have one right? I'm just asking because I'm insanely paranoid.
Nope. Just the $500 enrollment deposit. I wish Hastings had accepted me before I put in the security deposit for Seattle U, ha. But I guess $250 is easier to say goodbye to than some other hefty deposits I've seen (see: American University, $900.) It also gave me an excuse to visit WA for the first time. :)

(Still doesn't beat the Bay Area though, sorry.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amissionsix

New

Post by amissionsix » Thu May 26, 2011 6:28 pm

If you live close to Polk, the 19 (Muni) drops you literally in front of the school.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri May 27, 2011 4:30 am

great, now with webadvisor I can see that they did in fact get my residency form and my medical forms already.. I am annoyed though because I see that they STILL have my old temporary address I listed in my application, and I've already asked them to update it to my SF address like three times.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Hastings, I love you!

They gave me $13,500 per year in need-based aid ('Hastings Grant'). This was included with the maximum subsidized + unsubsidized Stafford loans. I fall slightly below both of their medians and am not in a position to receive merit aid. This will make the COA much easier to deal with than I originally imagined.

Thank you Hastings :D

rebelx13

New

Post by rebelx13 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:35 pm

What're people doing for housing. Anyone looking for a (male) roommate?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:44 am

rebelx13 wrote:What're people doing for housing. Anyone looking for a (male) roommate?
I have no idea. The Tower is full with a waitlist of ~40 people. I tried to get into the "The Mission's" subsidized housing (the projects) but they are full and their waitlist is full. You have to call each week to see if a spot opens up. I don't know how San Francisco's public housing works so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. I'm willing to live anywhere.

I'll PM you some specifics.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:57 pm

kapital98 wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:What're people doing for housing. Anyone looking for a (male) roommate?
I have no idea. The Tower is full with a waitlist of ~40 people. I tried to get into the "The Mission's" subsidized housing (the projects) but they are full and their waitlist is full. You have to call each week to see if a spot opens up. I don't know how San Francisco's public housing works so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. I'm willing to live anywhere.

The tower has a waitlist? I haven't heard anything from them since i turned my housing app in. Now im wondering if I got a spot or not...

restless

New

Post by restless » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:06 am

Lasers wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

The tower has a waitlist? I haven't heard anything from them since i turned my housing app in. Now im wondering if I got a spot or not...
I think you can call housing and they will let you know your spot on the waitlist. From looking at the Facebook group, some people have already been assigned rooms, but these are the people who applied for housing back in January/February. However, I only got accepted after being waitlisted. When I asked about my chances, they said there were 130 vacancies and I was 137 on the list. The man I talked to said the odds look good for me, but I'm still exploring other options just in case.

Short response: give housing a call. :)

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:12 am

restless wrote:
Lasers wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

I think you can call housing and they will let you know your spot on the waitlist. From looking at the Facebook group, some people have already been assigned rooms, but these are the people who applied for housing back in January/February. However, I only got accepted after being waitlisted. When I asked about my chances, they said there were 130 vacancies and I was 137 on the list. The man I talked to said the odds look good for me, but I'm still exploring other options just in case.

Short response: give housing a call. :)
cool; i will give them a call. i sent in my housing app over a month ago though, so i'm hoping i receive some news soon.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

novium

New

Post by novium » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:53 am

kapital98 wrote:I'm also interested in this. How easy is it to qualify for classes at Berkely? Do you have to go through the taxing normal admissions process? UC San Francisco seems the logical, albeit less prestigious, alternative to Berkeley.
I don't know if it's less prestigious...but it's solely a medical school. So unless you specifically want to study something related to medicine, UCSF wouldn't be much of an option.

grapesnocone

New

Post by grapesnocone » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:48 pm

just saw these posts as i was googling something else for Hastings, and as a rising 3L thought i'd share some things i wish i'd known a few summers ago:

- you can request a roommate for the Tower and that makes rent considerably cheaper. i got a studio for myself off the summer waitlist my 1L year that was the huge one they show on tours for $1150 - many are a lot smaller for almost the same rent. two girls i knew split a 1 bedroom and paid $700 each or so, and could decide whether to share the bedroom or have one bed in the living room. $1150 was a stretch since i use student loans, but i managed it without needing additional private loans.
- if you decide to move out of the tower after a semester, it is not that difficult to break the lease. you are responsible for finding someone to fill your spot, but the building manager, Pansy, sends out a schoolwide email when such rooms become available. many of my friends have moved in/out mid-year and it wasn't difficult.- unfortunately, san francisco doesn't get THAT much cheaper than the Tower if you don't want to share a bedroom. especially because the Tower provides good security, easy maintenance, a gym, etc. many people have flatmates and still pay over $1,000 a month in the city. your best bet is to live a little ways out of the city, or find a small room to rent in the mission or cheaper neighborhoods.

grapesnocone

New

Post by grapesnocone » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:02 pm

beaniew wrote:@Zengyy to supplement ozarkhack's response

Sorry this didn't sound so positive. That has nothing to do with Hastings. There are simply too many lawyers and not enough jobs. Do yourselves a favor and fight like hell to end up in the top 25%, at least. If you bomb first semester, don't be afraid to walk away. It might be better than doing doc review as a contract atty making $18/h with no bennies.

Lastly, I love Hastings. I met some cool peeps there and generally had a great time there. I also received a great education. That doesn't necessarily lead to a great job, unfortunately.

Best of luck!!
Also a rising 3L, and I agree with most of this except that top 25% means everything. It means almost everything if you want to work at a large law firm (the fancy kind with $160k salaries), work for the DA's office, or clerk for a judge after graduation. Otherwise, you just have to fight. It's not like the bottom 75% of students just toss the degree and find a new career afterwards, but you have to fight harder and find a better niche than other students. Focus on an area of law early, do extra work - I took an internship last fall without credit in addition to my courseload because I was worried about not being top 20%. It was a grueling semester and it paid off in helping me get a paid 2L summer.

Beaniew is right that you won't get handed a job unless your grades at the top - but that doesn't mean you can't go get one. The fight will just be a lot harder instead of an all-gravy summer associate position at MOFO. It won't get handed to you on a platter. Being a Hastings student is much more like being in a Rocky movie than in Ally McBeal.

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:25 pm

kapital98 wrote:

Trust me, you do not want to live in SF's public housing. It is not worth it, even if it were half the price of a regular apartment. Share a bedroom with someone instead.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”