UC Hastings Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
lisavj

Bronze

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Post by lisavj » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:36 pm

Also confirmed if you are top four in your section (see rank email) you can list HLJ bc you are auto on per the write on packet public on the website)

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Email is out. Made all the secondaries but struck out on HLJ. :|

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:39 pm

I made it!

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:46 pm

ilovesf wrote:I made it!
congrats, colleague!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:55 pm

reasonable troll wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I made it!
congrats, colleague!
Congrats to you too!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:56 pm

DildaMan wrote:Email is out. Made all the secondaries but struck out on HLJ. :|
Sorry dude :( congrats on the secondaries though! Do you know which one you'll accept?

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:55 pm

Communication, Business, or Science.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:00 am

Same here. I made the Business and Poverty & Race journals. I temporarily believed I made HLJ because the Business journal is the first journal shown in the PDF and has a similar name.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:52 am

Made HLJ which i'm super happy about...but im probably transferring.

Feel sad im probably leaving behind a cool experience like journal. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:00 am

Enjoy floor 23, everyone.

For those of you who didn't make HLJ (I didn't either, womp womp), feel free to PM me if you want insight into the secondaries. Although they can change dramatically year-to-year due to the Board, there are some constants.

And don't worry, not making HLJ isn't the end of the world. I know plenty of people (relatively speaking) on secondaries with great things lined up and plenty of people on HLJ without anything.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:00 am

Lasers wrote:Made HLJ which i'm super happy about...but im probably transferring.

Feel sad im probably leaving behind a cool experience like journal. :(
What tipped you over to transferring?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:03 am

kapital98 wrote:
Same here. I made the Business and Poverty & Race journals. I temporarily believed I made HLJ because the Business journal is the first journal shown in the PDF and has a similar name.
Congrats on the journals! Do you know which one you're picking? Race & Poverty sounds really interesting.

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:04 am

Was good hanging with y'alls. Headed out the door to the Berks forums - keep Hastings in shape k? :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:59 am

ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
Congrats on the journals! Do you know which one you're picking? Race & Poverty sounds really interesting.
Do you know when firms get back to students regarding OCI bids?

I'm planning on using the Business journal on my OCI applications and then switching to Race & Poverty if I don't get any interviews (a distinct possibility.) I harp about my interest in business in my cover letters. I feel it would be consistent to also have the Business journal on my resume. However, if that falls through then I'm definitely going PI and would rather do Race & Poverty.

I also feel the type of people who do each journal will be very different. LEOP dominates the Race & Poverty journal. I had the incoming editor-in-chief as a TA for immigration. I'm slightly afraid the Business journal will be more 'bro/fraternity' dominated. Like college.

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:44 pm

someone should confirm this, but i think CSO told me August 1st?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:58 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
Do you know when firms get back to students regarding OCI bids?

I'm planning on using the Business journal on my OCI applications and then switching to Race & Poverty if I don't get any interviews (a distinct possibility.) I harp about my interest in business in my cover letters. I feel it would be consistent to also have the Business journal on my resume. However, if that falls through then I'm definitely going PI and would rather do Race & Poverty.

I also feel the type of people who do each journal will be very different. LEOP dominates the Race & Poverty journal. I had the incoming editor-in-chief as a TA for immigration. I'm slightly afraid the Business journal will be more 'bro/fraternity' dominated. Like college.
I also heard that Business journal is more bro, but there aren't tons of bros at Hastings, so it can't be that bad. I definitely think Race & Poverty sounds more interesting, at least to me. I think we find out about interviews on August 1st like troll said, so it will be a big timing issue. Knowing Hastings, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out our interviews at like 11:59pm.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:41 am

ilovesf wrote: I also heard that Business journal is more bro, but there aren't tons of bros at Hastings, so it can't be that bad. I definitely think Race & Poverty sounds more interesting, at least to me. I think we find out about interviews on August 1st like troll said, so it will be a big timing issue. Knowing Hastings, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out our interviews at like 11:59pm.
Crap, should have picked business. -_-

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:53 pm

on symplicity when a firm is interviewing for both SF and SV in the same bidding application, should we say if we want SF or SV in the preferred location box? Or just leave it empty? (when the firm doesn't say to indicate it)

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:09 pm

I indicated the office preference within the Location/Date box, and cover letter if applicable.

lucield

New

Post by lucield » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:41 pm

question -

did you guys see the email from sarah tigerman about how only one person had bid on orrick sacramento? it's obvious people are choosing sf way more than anything else, thus making it much more competitive. so this leads to my question

do you guys think it's worth choosing firms that have higher cut offs (top 20% versus 30% etc) that have their locations in la/outside sf, versus things that are lower but in sf? i'm inclined to bit on firms outside my range but that aren't in la because i dont think they are receiving many bids and you might get selected even though you are outside the normal range..... opinions?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:47 pm

lucield wrote:question -

did you guys see the email from sarah tigerman about how only one person had bid on orrick sacramento? it's obvious people are choosing sf way more than anything else, thus making it much more competitive. so this leads to my question

do you guys think it's worth choosing firms that have higher cut offs (top 20% versus 30% etc) that have their locations in la/outside sf, versus things that are lower but in sf? i'm inclined to bit on firms outside my range but that aren't in la because i dont think they are receiving many bids and you might get selected even though you are outside the normal range..... opinions?
If it doesn't say required, why not. If it says required I wouldn't. I have a feeling a lot of people will be bidding today. I still have 3 cover letters to write - ugh.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:35 pm

ilovesf wrote:

If it doesn't say required, why not. If it says required I wouldn't. I have a feeling a lot of people will be bidding today. I still have 3 cover letters to write - ugh.
Orrick Sacramento was a resume collect if I recall correctly. I bid +/- 5% unless its a reach. Some of the other offices have stricter requirements ( Orrick Sacramento is 15% while SF is 10-25% ).

Oh btw IloveSF, are you enjoying the surprise strike? :P

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:39 pm

DildaMan wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Orrick Sacramento was a resume collect if I recall correctly. I bid +/- 5% unless its a reach. Some of the other offices have stricter requirements ( Orrick Sacramento is 15% while SF is 10-25% ).

Oh btw IloveSF, are you enjoying the surprise strike? :P
I bid on a couple places that say 10% preferred (I think just 2 or 3) otherwise I stayed in my range. I noticed a couple other differences- like white & case sf is 10% and NYC is 25% - I think I'm gonna do some NYC collects.
And I walk to work - I never have any problems getting around :)

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:50 pm

I think a lot of people are going to be bidding today too. I placed all of my bids today.

I'm done :)

Now I wait to see which firms get stuck interviewing me because of the lottery system. :twisted:

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:59 pm

^ Waiting for my lottery Wilmer Hale interview. 3.8 preferred -_-

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”