UC Hastings Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
ilovesf

Diamond

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:57 am

Just got an e-mail saying that my CA residency has been approved!YAY.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:53 am

It's been pretty quiet here lately.. just thought I'd let you guys know, I see my bill on webadvisor so I guess yours are probably available too.

HopelesslyOptimistic

New

Post by HopelesslyOptimistic » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:57 pm

question, how do you turn in the LEOP homework assignment due on July 5th? Do you email it somewhere? mail it? etc

sclatin2000

New

Post by sclatin2000 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:27 pm

HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:question, how do you turn in the LEOP homework assignment due on July 5th? Do you email it somewhere? mail it? etc
You can return it via mail, email, or fax. The instructions are at the very top of the 1st page of the HW assignment.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:40 pm

ilovesf wrote:It's been pretty quiet here lately.. just thought I'd let you guys know, I see my bill on webadvisor so I guess yours are probably available too.
is it under "student account summary"? i don't see mine yet. :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:39 pm

Lasers wrote:
ilovesf wrote:It's been pretty quiet here lately.. just thought I'd let you guys know, I see my bill on webadvisor so I guess yours are probably available too.
No, under student account summary when I click to try to view my Fall balance it gives me some weird letter about summer classes or something. I went to "pay my account" just to see what would pop up, and then the tuition amount showed up with options about how to pay it, etc.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:27 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote:
No, under student account summary when I click to try to view my Fall balance it gives me some weird letter about summer classes or something. I went to "pay my account" just to see what would pop up, and then the tuition amount showed up with options about how to pay it, etc.
ahh, there we are.

it doesn't seem like the bill has taken into account the loans/grants received.

restless

New

Post by restless » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:35 pm

sclatin2000 wrote:
HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:question, how do you turn in the LEOP homework assignment due on July 5th? Do you email it somewhere? mail it? etc
You can return it via mail, email, or fax. The instructions are at the very top of the 1st page of the HW assignment.
Wait, hold the phone, guys. Where did you find this homework assignment? I'm a little bit confused, I applied via LEOP and was waitlisted. I got in over the summer but there was no mention of LEOP. Does that mean I'm just a regular student? If not... Ugh. I'm already behind.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:53 pm

restless wrote:
sclatin2000 wrote:
Wait, hold the phone, guys. Where did you find this homework assignment? I'm a little bit confused, I applied via LEOP and was waitlisted. I got in over the summer but there was no mention of LEOP. Does that mean I'm just a regular student? If not... Ugh. I'm already behind.
It looks like you're a "regular" students. I didn't apply for LEOP in my application but they automatically put me in the program. They sent me the homework shortly after I was taken off the waitlist.

The homework consists of three (long) hypotheticals and two (shorter) grammar exercises. They advise you spend ~4 hours on the homework. Included with the homework is selected readings for seminars before the semester. This gives the program administrators and tutors a better idea of what strengths and weaknesses you have.

The advantages of the program are nice but not overwhelming. Basically, they give you free tutoring, simulated practice exams, networking events, and pay for a "supplemental" bar prep course.
Last edited by kapital98 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:57 pm

I forgot to mention:

The people in LEOP have the "joy" of taking an extra week of classes before the semester starts. :cry:

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:34 pm

still dont have a place to live :(......

restless

New

Post by restless » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:58 am

kapital98 wrote:I forgot to mention:

The people in LEOP have the "joy" of taking an extra week of classes before the semester starts. :cry:
Yikes. This whole time, I was thinking I was an LEOP student because I applied via LEOP. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad/sad at all, but here I was, planning to attend the LEOP orientation August 8-15. Haha. I guess that means I don't have to be too stressed out about housing yet... or homework. But the long-term advantages of LEOP do seem nice. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:06 am

Lasers wrote: it doesn't seem like the bill has taken into account the loans/grants received.
Ohh ok, oops. Well now my amount is also up on my student account summary along with a letter, so I think that it is completely finalized. I sent my papers in back in early May though, so I might be one of the first people with a final bill.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:07 am

Do you guys think we're going to have a lot of reading before class starts? I'm only getting back to SF on August 4th and I have friends visiting until the 15th. I'm only now thinking about if we might have work beforehand.. I'm dropping the ball before school even starts.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:19 am

ilovesf wrote:Do you guys think we're going to have a lot of reading before class starts? I'm only getting back to SF on August 4th and I have friends visiting until the 15th. I'm only now thinking about if we might have work beforehand.. I'm dropping the ball before school even starts.
Not according to the Assistant Academic Dean. His email stated that there was nothing you could do to prepare. His advice was to enjoy your summer and, if you have to, read a list of novels (ex: To Kill a Mockingbird.)
C. Keith Weingate

What can you do this summer to prepare for your first year of law school?

In all honesty, the best thing you can do is relax; read some books, see some movies, go to the beach, and spend time with your family. If you are interested in doing some law-related reading this summer, I’ve listed below several books that you might enjoy. These are simply suggestions and are not required. You will be immersed in the law soon enough and should feel free to spend your summer thinking about other things.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:24 am

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Do you guys think we're going to have a lot of reading before class starts? I'm only getting back to SF on August 4th and I have friends visiting until the 15th. I'm only now thinking about if we might have work beforehand.. I'm dropping the ball before school even starts.
Not according to the Assistant Academic Dean. His email stated that there was nothing you could do to prepare. His advice was to enjoy your summer and, if you have to, read a list of novels (ex: To Kill a Mockingbird.)
Yeah, I just reread the e-mail. It also said that one of the civpro professors requires everyone to read a book for the first day and we won't figure out if we are in his class until August.. oh well.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:35 pm

ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
Yeah, I just reread the e-mail. It also said that one of the civpro professors requires everyone to read a book for the first day and we won't figure out if we are in his class until August.. oh well.
Yeah, I'm really annoyed that we won't find out what classes we are taking until right before they begin. Preferably, I would like to take Civ Pro, Contracts, and Property. Torts and Criminal Law can wait. :roll:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JR1187

New

Post by JR1187 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Hastings rising 2L here.
I assure you, you will have reading to do before the first day of class.

--LinkRemoved--
Not updated yet, but check back in a few weeks or so.

orachelo

Bronze

Post by orachelo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:04 am

New admit here! :lol: I'm looking in the East Bay (Hayward) for apts...anyone have experience taking Bart from there to UCH? I'm a little worried about the commute but the apts are a lot cheaper and it's centrally located between UCH and my hubby's work in San Jose. Insight anyone?

JR1187

New

Post by JR1187 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:30 pm

orachelo wrote:New admit here! :lol: I'm looking in the East Bay (Hayward) for apts...anyone have experience taking Bart from there to UCH? I'm a little worried about the commute but the apts are a lot cheaper and it's centrally located between UCH and my hubby's work in San Jose. Insight anyone?
I use the Fruitvale stop. It takes about 25 minutes from Fruitvale to Civic Center; I would guess that's about 40 minutes from Hayward to Civic Center. I just use the time to read class materials. Plus, since you'd be getting on at one of the furthest points, pretty good chance you'd have a seat. Really just depends on how adverse you are to a commute.

pehernandez

New

Post by pehernandez » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:49 am

I just got off the waitlist. See you all in class!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

orachelo

Bronze

Post by orachelo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:36 pm

JR1187 wrote:
orachelo wrote:New admit here! :lol: I'm looking in the East Bay (Hayward) for apts...anyone have experience taking Bart from there to UCH? I'm a little worried about the commute but the apts are a lot cheaper and it's centrally located between UCH and my hubby's work in San Jose. Insight anyone?
I use the Fruitvale stop. It takes about 25 minutes from Fruitvale to Civic Center; I would guess that's about 40 minutes from Hayward to Civic Center. I just use the time to read class materials. Plus, since you'd be getting on at one of the furthest points, pretty good chance you'd have a seat. Really just depends on how adverse you are to a commute.
Thanks for the insight! If I can have a seat, read, and be productive while on my commute, I'm all for it! I just hope I won't be missing out on too much by not living in the city.

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:49 am

ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
I know who this professor is and what book you'll have to read and I assure you it's not necessary. However, it's a great read and I would recommend it anyway. It reads like a novel.

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:43 pm

do you know when we will find out what books to buy?

plin

New

Post by plin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Anyone have any tips on finding housing? I was just accepted off the waitlist so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”