UC Hastings Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
auroojgulzar

New

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Post by auroojgulzar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:13 am

has anyone considered mission bay housing? is it a good option?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:56 am

mnolen wrote:
kapital98 wrote:Does any 2L or 3L know what classes students take during the first semester? Also, how big is each block of students? I've looked at the course catalog and it says almost all first year classes are offered in both Fall and Spring. Is there any set combination of this or is there any generally preferred choice?

Any help is appreciated,

Thank You
The different sections tend to take classes in a different order. For example, my first semester was Torts, Crim, and Civ Pro. Second semester was Contracts, Property, and Con Law 1. Others had this same set of classes but in a different order, eg with torts/civ pro/property first semester or whatever. During my year, everyone took Civ Pro first sem and everyone took Con law second, but apparently this year one section took Civ Pro second semester. Not sure if they'll be doing that again and I think it would probably suck. Everyone takes LWR 1st semester and Moot Court 2nd semester. During second semester you also take a statutory class of your choice.

There are 80-90 people per section.
If you go to the webadvisor and sign in, you can actually search for sections already and 1L section times are listed for a lot of classes already. It actually looks like maybe they started assigning people classes because some of them show that a couple of the spots have already been filled up. That could also just be a bug or something though. I am getting pretty excited for class to start, I don't want to wait until August to find out our schedules!

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:35 pm

when did you guys get the email with the details once you submitted your deposit? I put down my seat deposit on Monday but haven't received any emails or any access to the housing board or anything about webadvisor. not sure what that even is.

are any of you coming from NYC? also any thoughts on mission bay housing?

Looking forward to meeting all of you !!!! :)

restless

New

Post by restless » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:32 pm

auroojgulzar wrote:when did you guys get the email with the details once you submitted your deposit? I put down my seat deposit on Monday but haven't received any emails or any access to the housing board or anything about webadvisor. not sure what that even is.

Congratulations on your recent acceptance!

I received my e-mail address about two weeks after I put down my enrollment deposit. Same with web advisor. You have to go to the admitted student website (where you enter the new student username and pw), click on "Housing Board," then e-mail them with your student ID and ask to join the board. Give them a couple of days to respond.

In regards to mission bay housing, I think it's a great alternative. Although it is a bit far from campus, the buildings are fairly new and there is a free shuttle that takes you to and from Hastings. Prices are about as reasonable as anything else in San Francisco. I applied about two weeks ago, but they give priority to students with the closer move-in date. So you may have a higher chance of getting a spot if you plan to move in during early July rather than during the August rush. Also, if you send in an application, don't expect them to contact you until 6 weeks prior to your move-in date.

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:40 pm

restless wrote:
auroojgulzar wrote:when did you guys get the email with the details once you submitted your deposit? I put down my seat deposit on Monday but haven't received any emails or any access to the housing board or anything about webadvisor. not sure what that even is.

I received my e-mail address about two weeks after I put down my enrollment deposit. Same with web advisor. You have to go to the admitted student website (where you enter the new student username and pw), click on "Housing Board," then e-mail them with your student ID and ask to join the board. Give them a couple of days to respond.

In regards to mission bay housing, I think it's a great alternative. Although it is a bit far from campus, the buildings are fairly new and there is a free shuttle that takes you to and from Hastings. Prices are about as reasonable as anything else in San Francisco. I applied about two weeks ago, but they give priority to students with the closer move-in date. So you may have a higher chance of getting a spot if you plan to move in during early July rather than during the August rush. Also, if you send in an application, don't expect them to contact you until 6 weeks prior to your move-in date.
Thanks for the reply. I think I will wait till monday and speak to the tower people before submitting my mission bay housing. are all of you considering the four people share a four bedroom scenario. I'm wondering if that would be overwhelming. Also the shuttle stops running at 8pm. I think that's a bit early

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

restless

New

Post by restless » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:50 pm

auroojgulzar wrote:
restless wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I think I will wait till monday and speak to the tower people before submitting my mission bay housing. are all of you considering the four people share a four bedroom scenario. I'm wondering if that would be overwhelming. Also the shuttle stops running at 8pm. I think that's a bit early
Yeah, it's a bit early but you could always study at UCSF if need be. I'm just concerned about the tower situation because I was #137 on the waitlist and I was told there were only 130 vacancies. They have also run out of studios and efficiencies, so students on the housing waitlist are being given the option of sharing one-bedroom apartments. I haven't even gotten an e-mail from Pansy yet so I'm not too optimistic about my chances anymore.

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:13 pm

Hey-

to be eligible for instate tuition do we need to fill out the residency forms now or next year?

Thanks!

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:14 pm

also do you know what kind of health record there looking for. do I have to get a proper physical with blood test and everything. I dont have insurance for blood test right now

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:50 pm

auroojgulzar wrote:also do you know what kind of health record there looking for. do I have to get a proper physical with blood test and everything. I dont have insurance for blood test right now
Do you qualify for Medi-Cal? If you qualify for California's version of Medicaid UC Hastings will waive their insurance policy and it will save you ~$2,500 a year.

If you're interested a social worker will be at the school at the beginning of the Fall semester.

For more information on California's social services: --LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:06 am

auroojgulzar wrote:also do you know what kind of health record there looking for. do I have to get a proper physical with blood test and everything. I dont have insurance for blood test right now
You don't need a physical. You only need to send in two forms , the personal history and the immunization reccommendation.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:00 am

auroojgulzar wrote:Hey-

to be eligible for instate tuition do we need to fill out the residency forms now or next year?

Thanks!
Now, you should get working on them ASAP because the forms are pretty long and annoying.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:14 pm

Does anyone need a roommate? I'm very flexible on living arraignments as long as the commute to UC Hastings is short.

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:27 pm

ilovesf wrote:

Thanks!
Now, you should get working on them ASAP because the forms are pretty long and annoying.
what if you qualify next year not this year?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:59 pm

auroojgulzar wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Thanks!
Auroojgulzar, have you chosen Hastings over W&L?

To answer your question: Good news, you don't have to fill out the forms. Bad news, you'll have to pay an extra ~$10,000 in tuition :(

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:01 pm

kapital98 wrote:Does anyone need a roommate? I'm very flexible on living arraignments as long as the commute to UC Hastings is short.
I no longer need a roommate. The tower placed me off their waitlist and assigned me a 1 room apartment.

Those of you still on the waitlist have hope!

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:46 pm

kapital98 wrote:
auroojgulzar wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Thanks!
Auroojgulzar, have you chosen Hastings over W&L?

To answer your question: Good news, you don't have to fill out the forms. Bad news, you'll have to pay an extra ~$10,000 in tuition :(
Yup I choose Hastings over W&L.. Cali here I come.. :)

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:47 pm

kapital98 wrote:
kapital98 wrote:Does anyone need a roommate? I'm very flexible on living arraignments as long as the commute to UC Hastings is short.
I no longer need a roommate. The tower placed me off their waitlist and assigned me a 1 room apartment.

Those of you still on the waitlist have hope!
where were you on the waitlist, and are you sharing the one bedroom or is it going to be just you?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:13 pm

financial aid e-mailed me saying i didn't complete the master promissory note on my loans, which i thought i had completed over a month ago...is there anything to do besides simply filling out/signing the mpn on the studentloans.gov website?

i guess a call is in order.

lazyrobot

New

Post by lazyrobot » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Lasers wrote:financial aid e-mailed me saying i didn't complete the master promissory note on my loans, which i thought i had completed over a month ago...is there anything to do besides simply filling out/signing the mpn on the studentloans.gov website?

i guess a call is in order.
Same here. I completed the MPNs in late March. They probably just sent it to everyone.

rebelx13

New

Post by rebelx13 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:38 am

Lasers, I got the MPN email as well. I think there are quite a few of us that received it over on the FB group. I think FA will sort it out when they're streamrolled by calls from the lot of us.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:12 am

auroojgulzar wrote:Yup I choose Hastings over W&L.. Cali here I come.. :)
That's Great! Why did you chose Hastings?

Regarding Housing: I was #37 on the waitlist about a month ago. All of the efficiency and studio apartments are taken but there may be some spots available for the 1/2 bedroom apartments. Also, you should be able to place yourself on the waitlist and see if anything opens up during winter break. I have a roommate so the cost for a 1 bedroom apartment won't be too steep.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:46 pm

kapital98 wrote:
auroojgulzar wrote:Yup I choose Hastings over W&L.. Cali here I come.. :)
That's Great! Why did you chose Hastings?

Regarding Housing: I was #37 on the waitlist about a month ago. All of the efficiency and studio apartments are taken but there may be some spots available for the 1/2 bedroom apartments. Also, you should be able to place yourself on the waitlist and see if anything opens up during winter break. I have a roommate so the cost for a 1 bedroom apartment won't be too steep.
Going to Cali was a dream of mine since undergrad and W&L wanted me to pay ticket while Hastings was nice enough to give me a scholly. I just felt that I would be happier there. :)

Im #99 on the waitlist sigh...... :(

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:46 pm

i'm surprised the waitlist is so long; i was told that availability at the tower usually wasn't a problem. seems to be at total capacity now.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:28 pm

Lasers wrote:i'm surprised the waitlist is so long; i was told that availability at the tower usually wasn't a problem. seems to be at total capacity now.
It's not a problem for the people who were admitted during the regular cycle and decided to live in the Tower. It's all the waitlist and uncertain people who are having trouble finding a spot (at least on TLS.)

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:50 pm

that makes sense.

oh yeah, i called about the master promissory note e-mail; apparently they didn't check if everyone completed them or not, which is why many people got the e-mail even if they had already sent it in. that's kind of...dumb.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”