Live alone or with a roommate? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
cdb

New

Live alone or with a roommate?

Post by cdb » Mon May 09, 2011 12:42 pm

What do you recommend: Live alone your first year or with a roommate? I need some advice? What do most people do?

patrickd139

Gold

Re: Live alone or with a roommate?

Post by patrickd139 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:43 pm

Are you incapable of doing a forum search?

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Mon May 09, 2011 12:47 pm

Last edited by aliarrow on Fri May 13, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon May 09, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm living alone. The extra cost is worth it for privacy and peace. But that's because my last roommate situation was a disaster -- she was a coworker who tried to undermine my professional life. And the roommate before her was filthy -- she'd leave dirty dishes in the tub when the kitchen sink was full. The roommate before her was alright, but liked to walk around naked. I could go on, but I'll stop.

chrisnashville

Bronze

Post by chrisnashville » Tue May 10, 2011 1:27 pm

cinephile wrote:I'm living alone. The extra cost is worth it for privacy and peace. But that's because my last roommate situation was a disaster -- she was a coworker who tried to undermine my professional life. And the roommate before her was filthy -- she'd leave dirty dishes in the tub when the kitchen sink was full. The roommate before her was alright, but liked to walk around naked. I could go on, but I'll stop.
Wow. That's amazing. My roommates since freshman year of college have all been fantastic, by that standard. :)

There are benefits to living alone, definitely. But going back to school, I think I'll shoot for a roommate and cross my fingers about dishes in the bathtub. Damn.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Tue May 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Last edited by czelede on Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gokickrocks

Bronze

Post by gokickrocks » Tue May 10, 2011 2:25 pm

Roommate. Much cheaper and I've had pretty good luck with roommates during my years as an undergrad.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue May 10, 2011 2:31 pm

im living alone 1L. Dont even want to run the risk of having a bad roommate. I can live with just about anyone but i'd rather pay extra to not worry about it.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Tue May 10, 2011 5:23 pm

Sandro wrote:im living alone 1L. Dont even want to run the risk of having a bad roommate. I can live with just about anyone but i'd rather pay extra to not worry about it.
+1 thinking about getting a dog though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ladylegale

New

Post by ladylegale » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:27 am

Well I had every intention on living alone because I hate roommates. But my sister recently decided to go to school in the DC Metro Area, so we've decided to stick it out together for now since the cost of living is so friggin high in and around DC. Not uber excited about living with her either, but I'm sure it'll be better than having some whack-job roommate.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:35 am

I've lived alone too long (last 10 years) to risk getting a roommate, especially 1L year when any little annoyance will likely be magnified by stress. Plus I'm kind of a slob. (Not dishes-in-the-bathtub bad, though!)

Plus I'd like to live near the NU campus in Streeterville for 1L, and 2-bedroom places in McClurg and the like are more than twice the price of studios, so it wouldn't save any money anyway.

Hoosier

New

Post by Hoosier » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:11 pm

I had a hard time deciding but ultimately chose to live alone. I have a dog too, which often makes living alone more expensive (most places charge pet rent and decent apartments that allow dogs are generally more expensive), and I will absolutely have to leave school and potentially interrupt studying to get home to take care of him. (Most of my roommates in the past haven't had a problem letting him out or feeding him if necessary, so I won't have that luxury anymore.) That being said, I have had such a horrible string of roommates over the past 3 years that I just can't see myself staying even a little bit sane with the stress of school added to the crazy shit that roommates do. (My current roommate told me she thinks it's best if we don't share kitchen stuff because I wanted to keep the AC on all night. I'm still struggling with that logic.) So I'll be paying about twice what financial aid says I should be spending on housing, but I'll have a quiet, comfortable place to live and an extra bedroom that will become my office. And a trail right outside my back door where I can walk my dog. I figure, I won't have time to spend money on anything but gas & groceries, so I might as well live as comfortably as possible, right? :)

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:20 pm

If you get a bad roommate, it's another level of stress added onto your LS stress

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:22 pm

I'll be living with a roommate, but she'll be my wife. If not I would definitely be going it alone. 1L is purportedly way too hard to deal with any unnecessary stress that even a slightly batshit roommate would add.

Omega10

New

Post by Omega10 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:10 pm

I'll be living by myself. To me it is worth the extra cost just to have a place to shut the door and do what I want-- study, cook, work out, etc-- without having to be considerate of a roommate. I haven't had any disastrous living arrangements, in fact I've had a lot of fun living with good friends in the past, but for 1L I want to be able to keep my own schedule and not appear antisocial when I escape to my bedroom. Forced 24/7 cordiality, even with the greatest of roommates, can be tiresome IMO, plus I value my privacy and need alone time to recharge.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:21 pm

Hoosier wrote: So I'll be paying about twice what financial aid says I should be spending on housing
:( I only recently figured this out. I thought maybe if I lived in the dorms I could make it, but even that would exceed the COA budget. So, as stressful as it is, I think I'll live with a random person because otherwise I'd just be stressing about money.

But now for a fun ex-roommate story. Last year the three of us bought dishware together and split the cost, so I thought we could all use whatever. But one of the girls was really touchy about anyone using "her" plate/mug/bowl/etc. Only, she never told me to my face, she just left post-its on them marking them as hers. When I tried to ask her she just smiled and laughed it off and wouldn't talk about it.

For those of you who are living alone, I envy you.

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:24 pm

I need to live alone so I can go crazy and set up my apartment like A Beautiful Mind (or Charlie in the mail room)

--ImageRemoved--

"Let me talk to you about Torts, can I talk to you about Torts? I've been dying to talk to you about Torts!"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”