University of Wisconsin Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
danielle9281

New

University of Wisconsin Class of 2014

Post by danielle9281 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:15 am

Well no one has started a thread for this, so I thought I would start one.

I am currently looking at apartments, but do not know what area of the city would be best to live in. I would love to be walking distance from school, but I heard the undergrad scene is pretty bad there, so now I am looking for apartments that are on the bus route and in an area surrounded by nice restaurants, bars, etc.

danielle9281

New

Re: University of Wisconsin Class of 2014

Post by danielle9281 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:16 pm

How are the bus systems there? Are they quick and efficient or is it best I stay in the campus downtown area. I want to live near downtown so that it is walking distance to school, bars, restaurants, etc., but I am not sure how much I will like the whole undergrad party scene and a lot of the nicer apartments I have found are outside of that area.

Also, if I decide to live away from the campus area, which one is better: west side, east side, or the south central area?

LilyGirl

New

Post by LilyGirl » Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm

I will be attending this fall also. I am currently looking for apartments and waiting to hear back from the school regarding financial aid and what I need to do now that I have accepted their offer.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Sun May 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Just wanted to say whats up to everyone. I'll be attending and in Madison around August 1st. Excited to meet everyone.

Kaves

New

Post by Kaves » Mon May 23, 2011 3:29 am

Same as above but I will not be in town till like the 16th or something like that. After that its game on untill school starts!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LilyGirl

New

Post by LilyGirl » Mon May 23, 2011 1:22 pm

I will be moving the 17th of August, and super excited to start the year. I did find an apartment at Surf and Surfside, but it is a lot more then I am wanting to spend. Having a dog doesn't help. I either had to spend more or live outside of the downtown/campus area. From what I have heard it is best to live near the school. Plus I will save a ton of money being able to walk everywhere!

Has anyone found any cheap parking options? It is 140/month for me to park at my building and the residential perking permits do not sound like a good idea for me, since you have to move your car every 48 hours, your car may not be near you, and sometimes you can't even find a spot to park. So if anyone has any info on good places to park that would be very helpful to me!

LilyGirl

New

Post by LilyGirl » Mon May 23, 2011 10:07 pm

What kind of prep work is everybody doing, if any?? I have read a lot of different information on what I should do to prepare, but it seems like a lot to do in the next few months. I am already stressing with everything I need to get done. Plus would like to enjoy my break before school starts. What do you all think is the most important readings I should do to prepare?

Kaves

New

Post by Kaves » Mon May 23, 2011 11:44 pm

LilyGirl wrote:What kind of prep work is everybody doing, if any?? I have read a lot of different information on what I should do to prepare, but it seems like a lot to do in the next few months. I am already stressing with everything I need to get done. Plus would like to enjoy my break before school starts. What do you all think is the most important readings I should do to prepare?
If you read anything on here everyone says do nothing. So thats my plan, enjoy my summer and show up ready to go!

LilyGirl

New

Post by LilyGirl » Wed May 25, 2011 5:32 pm

Kaves wrote:
LilyGirl wrote:What kind of prep work is everybody doing, if any?? I have read a lot of different information on what I should do to prepare, but it seems like a lot to do in the next few months. I am already stressing with everything I need to get done. Plus would like to enjoy my break before school starts. What do you all think is the most important readings I should do to prepare?
If you read anything on here everyone says do nothing. So thats my plan, enjoy my summer and show up ready to go!
I bought a couple books, but I think I am going to mostly enjoy my time off! I need to in order to keep my sanity :). Taking a break is my biggest preparation for the next three years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LilyGirl

New

Post by LilyGirl » Tue May 31, 2011 10:28 pm

So what everyone's plans for the summer? Anyone moving to Madison early? I will be there a few weeks early.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:01 am

I attended UW for undergrad and will be heading west for law school this fall. Having said that, I'm more than happy to answer any questions people have about the city or UW in general. It's a special place - I'll miss it!

pinkpanther

New

Post by pinkpanther » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:48 pm

forward wrote:I attended UW for undergrad and will be heading west for law school this fall. Having said that, I'm more than happy to answer any questions people have about the city or UW in general. It's a special place - I'll miss it!
Are there any rental companies you would recommend, or any that you would advise staying away from? I'm looking for a one bedroom apartment close to the law school. I won't have a car and I don't want to deal with busing in the snow and all. Any apartment suggestions? i'm having the hardest time finding good/decent apartments, a lot of the ones I looked at have sketchy at best pictures online.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:04 pm

pinkpanther wrote:
forward wrote:I attended UW for undergrad and will be heading west for law school this fall. Having said that, I'm more than happy to answer any questions people have about the city or UW in general. It's a special place - I'll miss it!
Are there any rental companies you would recommend, or any that you would advise staying away from? I'm looking for a one bedroom apartment close to the law school. I won't have a car and I don't want to deal with busing in the snow and all. Any apartment suggestions? i'm having the hardest time finding good/decent apartments, a lot of the ones I looked at have sketchy at best pictures online.
Steve Brown is good from what I've heard, but also expensive. Same with Urban Land Interests. McBride is mostly good (from experience). Google their websites. I've heard both good and bad about JSM. I'd avoid Tallard.

You could also try looking at these buildings: Equinox, LaVille, La Ciel, The Varsity, Round House, Grand Central, The Embassy, The Aberdeen, Capitol Centre.

Bring a good coat and boots if you're going to walk to class in the winter. The Bus system here isn't the greatest, but you might eventually prefer it to walking in January & February.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:55 pm

i'm a rising 2L at UW now and would be happy to answer questions too.

LilyGirl

New

Post by LilyGirl » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:11 pm

tww909 wrote:i'm a rising 2L at UW now and would be happy to answer questions too.

What is a typical class schedule like for 1L.

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:02 pm

LilyGirl wrote:
tww909 wrote:i'm a rising 2L at UW now and would be happy to answer questions too.

even though my schedule initially said i had friday class, we only did that for the first few weeks, so for the most part my first semester was:

torts m-th 9:55-10:50
crim m-th 11-11:55
contracts m-th 1:20-2:15
civ pro tu, th 2:25-4:30

second was (if i remember right):

crim pro m-th 9:55-10:50
contracts II m, w 11-12:20 (elective - you get to choose between contracts, int'l, admin, civ pro 2, and torts 2)
con law tu, th 11-12:20
property m-th 1:20-2:15
lrw w - 2:25-3:45, f 11-12:20

i sort of got lucky both semesters. there are definitely a lot of people with breaks during the day other than lunch, and who had to be to school at like 8:50, and there were people (though i think this was only second semester?) who had stuff at like 6:30 pm. but some people like that stuff.

Hippononymous

Bronze

Post by Hippononymous » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:36 pm

What are you doing this summer (if you don't mind my asking)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:09 am

Hippononymous wrote:
What are you doing this summer (if you don't mind my asking)?
working for as a paid clerk for a firm of about 15 attorneys. they don't normally hire summers, but i had connections and got super lucky to get it. it's tons of fun. even though the firm is relatively small i've gotten to work on real estate transactions, trademark, commercial law, immigration, transactions, litigation and a whole bunch of other stuff.

LilyGirl

New

Post by LilyGirl » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:37 pm

tww909 wrote:
LilyGirl wrote:

even though my schedule initially said i had friday class, we only did that for the first few weeks, so for the most part my first semester was:

torts m-th 9:55-10:50
crim m-th 11-11:55
contracts m-th 1:20-2:15
civ pro tu, th 2:25-4:30

second was (if i remember right):

crim pro m-th 9:55-10:50
contracts II m, w 11-12:20 (elective - you get to choose between contracts, int'l, admin, civ pro 2, and torts 2)
con law tu, th 11-12:20
property m-th 1:20-2:15
lrw w - 2:25-3:45, f 11-12:20

i sort of got lucky both semesters. there are definitely a lot of people with breaks during the day other than lunch, and who had to be to school at like 8:50, and there were people (though i think this was only second semester?) who had stuff at like 6:30 pm. but some people like that stuff.

Thank you.

LilyGirl

New

Post by LilyGirl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:37 pm

So I am just wondering if most people are going to be completely living off financial aid, or if they will be working, or if most have quite a bit of scholarship money.

I am only asking because I am sort of stressed about the loan debt I will have after graduating, but if that is what most people are doing it will some what ease my stress a little bit.

Hippononymous

Bronze

Post by Hippononymous » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:41 pm

LilyGirl wrote:So I am just wondering if most people are going to be completely living off financial aid, or if they will be working, or if most have quite a bit of scholarship money.

I am only asking because I am sort of stressed about the loan debt I will have after graduating, but if that is what most people are doing it will some what ease my stress a little bit.
I am in-state. I'm using savings for the rent. The rest will be loans.

God I hope this works...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LilyGirl

New

Post by LilyGirl » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Hippononymous wrote:
LilyGirl wrote:So I am just wondering if most people are going to be completely living off financial aid, or if they will be working, or if most have quite a bit of scholarship money.

I am in-state. I'm using savings for the rent. The rest will be loans.

God I hope this works...

In-state, that tuition price is good! I will be going under minnesota reciprocity so I won't be paying full price and I have a scholarship, but my rent is so high. I am going to have to take out everything I can the first year and might have to re-do my budget to get a little bit more. I know the next two years will be better for me since I can find roommates and cheaper places to live, but I am very stressed having to take so much money out on loans. I wish more people were discussing on this forum, I don't like asking certain things on the facebook goup. Oh well.

LilyGirl

New

Post by LilyGirl » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:46 pm

What type of laptop is everyone getting?? I am still undecided on what to do. Is portability and battery more important than having a decent screen size? I feel that an 11" or even a 13" screen is too small, but they are the most portable.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:40 am

Hey folks! Congrats on heading to UW-Law! As new arrivals to Madison I'm sure you're looking to buy quality affordable things for your apartment! If you are, check out the stuff I'm selling. I'm transferring out and need to get rid of my stuff...and if you come buy some stuff and strike up a conversation I'd be happy to give you some pointers for law school success!

--LinkRemoved--

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:54 am

LilyGirl wrote:What type of laptop is everyone getting?? I am still undecided on what to do. Is portability and battery more important than having a decent screen size? I feel that an 11" or even a 13" screen is too small, but they are the most portable.
Every large classroom has a power outlet for laptops built into the desks. You should only need a 2 hour battery (for small classes), but in laptop lingo that means buy a 4 hour just to be safe.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”