University of Arizona class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
cool of law

Bronze

Re: University of Arizona class of 2014

Post by cool of law » Fri May 06, 2011 1:11 am

Anyone looking for a roommate?

cool of law

Bronze

Post by cool of law » Fri May 06, 2011 12:22 pm

sab0tage wrote:
cool of law wrote:
sab0tage wrote:I am gonna be there. I referenced tls at least one at the deans reception thing because I'm cool like that.
well done sir, are you an AZ native?
Yep. raised in tucson, live in phoenix now though. U?

Also, I am certain I am better than all of you and that I will be top of the class.
Taking questions.
That said, at such an intimate College, camaraderie tends to outweigh competition.

“Here, it’s not so competitive,” explains Daniel Klopper, 23, who also attended the University of Arizona as an undergrad, and will earn his law degree in 2012. “People are smart, but you don’t feel like you’re dying from the competitive atmosphere.”
There goes that theory... jk

Hey Sab0tage, since you already called top of the class, can I be second? I can deal with top 1.333% instead of top .666%

ColomboHeat

New

Post by ColomboHeat » Fri May 06, 2011 2:24 pm

you know, I thought this was interesting. to paraphrase a small group of 1Ls/2Ls that I met during the preview weekend, I was told in so many words that those students just try to figure out what is necessary to write the quintessential middle-of-the-road B final per the professor's expectations and the class's grading distribution... and once they have that locked in mind they can chill out. I have no experience with a school environment graded on a curve, but this strategy made sense to me.

I listened to a fairly balanced discussion over whether or not "writing for the A" was really worth it in in respects to spending that extra study time exploring law-related activities or just otherwise enjoying life. the majority opinion seemed to be that in most cases, the answer was No.

david787

Bronze

Post by david787 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:08 pm

That almost makes me think that if someone was truly motivated to do well (get A's), they would have less of a challenge than other schools since the majority of students aren't very competitive.

WhiteCochran

New

Post by WhiteCochran » Tue May 10, 2011 7:33 pm

cool of law wrote: Substantively, I'm going with the mantra: "Better to have a job in AZ than be unemployed at the beach in SD"
Agreed. This is pretty much why I couldn't bring myself to deposit at USD.
seaboot wrote:
WhiteCochran wrote:
seaboot wrote:I'm there. Doesn't seem like UA is full of TLS'ers.

Strange, because at the ASD I heard more than one person reference TLS...
+1. Then again, no one is listed as "attending" on LSN either. UofA admits = super secretive? (or maybe super indecisive like me?)
Officially attending on LSN (first one?). I think I was sitting with you during the ASD breakfast if you're from Fresno and you were the guy who had some car trouble on the trip out. Are you set on UA or are you still working that one out?
I am in fact that guy! (Correct me if I'm wrong, are you the Tucson native guy?)

Yeah unfortunately I just recently reverted back to choosing between UofA and Hastings. I might wind up having a room available in the East Bay that I could rent for cheap (i.e. significantly less than the $1200/mo for a studio in the Tower), which would go a long way towards alleviating the COL/debt issues I have with Hastings. If it doesn't materialize (and there are additional secondary "ifs" there that would have to materialize as well), I'm going with UofA (TLS polls be damned!)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cool of law

Bronze

Post by cool of law » Wed May 11, 2011 1:36 am

ColomboHeat

New

Post by ColomboHeat » Wed May 11, 2011 3:56 pm

that is very good to know, Lawquacious. I heard mention of +/- grading at one of the admissions events, but nothing concrete. as long as the present student body is optimistic that the new system is going to reward genuine effort, I don't see a reason not to be on board. my impression from this site is that most other schools already incorporate +/- grading.

edit: is there also an A- with a 3.6 GPA weight or something like that in the new distribution?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm

ColomboHeat wrote:that is very good to know, Lawquacious. I heard mention of +/- grading at one of the admissions events, but nothing concrete. as long as the present student body is optimistic that the new system is going to reward genuine effort, I don't see a reason not to be on board. my impression from this site is that most other schools already incorporate +/- grading.

edit: is there also an A- with a 3.6 GPA weight or something like that in the new distribution?

Yeah, I think it will apply across the full spectrum (don't know if there will be A+ though), and I imagine that the GPA weights will be standard. Not positive though. Not even totally positive the change will occur, though school officials have indicated that it will.

cool of law

Bronze

Post by cool of law » Wed May 11, 2011 5:09 pm

Upon first reading about this +/- news it seemed like a downer. But now I agree that it will really just award those who work harder (although hard work =/= good grades, always). In the end will most likely NOT change many people's GPAs. Also, it will give students a chance to bolster their academic resume while keeping a similar GPA. Hear me out, if you get 4 B's it translates to a 3.0, if you get 2 B+'s and 2 B-'s it will also be a 3.0, but can emphasize that you excelled (sort of, top ~40-50% rather than top ~70-80%) in two classes.

lawquacious, what is the gpa curve, or the old curve? some friends had mentioned 30% A, 60% B, 10% CDF

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ColomboHeat

New

Post by ColomboHeat » Wed May 11, 2011 5:43 pm

it seems like the number who get "full" A's will be drastically cut down if you can now get A-'s and B+'s.

cool of law

Bronze

Post by cool of law » Wed May 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Last edited by cool of law on Wed May 11, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ColomboHeat

New

Post by ColomboHeat » Wed May 11, 2011 6:00 pm

current system posted on their website:

http://www.law.arizona.edu/current_stud ... system.cfm

the page was last updated: 12/03/2010

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:01 pm

cool of law wrote:
ColomboHeat wrote:it seems like the number who get "full" A's will be drastically cut down if you can now get A-'s and B+'s.
Very true. I wonder if they will adjust for this, now that at least 1/3 of those formally getting 4.0's will now be getting (assuming the top 30% gets A's, I still need to fact check that, lawquacious?) 3.4s instead of 4.0s in each class.
IDK if they will keep it at 30% or not. Perhaps they will allow 4.4 A+s to balance the 3.6 A-s (in terms of A range GPAs), but I don't know about how they plan to do that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cool of law

Bronze

Post by cool of law » Wed May 11, 2011 6:08 pm

hey lawquacious, did you use any supplements? E&E, LEEWS, professional outlines, etc?

i remember from our PMs that you were gunneresque/T14 material...
Last edited by cool of law on Wed May 11, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cool of law

Bronze

Post by cool of law » Wed May 11, 2011 6:09 pm

btw, colombo, did you join the facebook group?

ColomboHeat

New

Post by ColomboHeat » Wed May 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Lawquacious wrote:I'm still hoping to have a shot at T14 transfer... U of Az is a pretty solid school though IMO...

is this just due to aspirations for better employment opportunities? if not, what else do you think you would encounter in a T14 program that is absent at Arizona?

and yes, I am in the FB group. shit's just not official until the FB group.

azcactus14

New

Post by azcactus14 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Lawquacious, any update on the +/- switch and whether or not this is going through for the law school? I know they had proposed a similar change to main campus a few months ago and it was summarily rejected by undergrads.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:11 pm

Got off the wait list on Thursday and drove the eight hours from la over this last weekend to scope everything out. I am currentlyy hurtling back on the 10 back towards la and have some interesting choices to make.

First I looked all over for a nice looking apprtmnt and after much research found a couple nice places about ten minutes north of the school. One that I was particularly impressed with was called mission palms or something similar I checked south and east of the school nd was generally unimpressed although the sam Hughes area was nice albeit much older. Does anyone local or in my position have any suggestions as for where to rent? My budget is around 700 at the top end if utilities are not included.

As for the law school I was very impressed. Even walking in on a random Sunday a very nice librarian named Brent took. Me and my folks o n a tour of the entire facility despite the fact that it was all closed and locked (who knew librarians have the skeleton key). Overall I was very impressed with the facilities especially considering the low number of students it has to cater to.

Anyways I am quite excited! I think I am pretty much set on here unless uc irvine decides to admit me off their wl (which they have all but told me outright is not going to h appen)

Any other admits still lurking in this very dead thread?

cool of law

Bronze

Post by cool of law » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:38 pm

dtl wrote:Got off the wait list on Thursday and drove the eight hours from la over this last weekend to scope everything out. I am currentlyy hurtling back on the 10 back towards la and have some interesting choices to make.

First I looked all over for a nice looking apprtmnt and after much research found a couple nice places about ten minutes north of the school. One that I was particularly impressed with was called mission palms or something similar I checked south and east of the school nd was generally unimpressed although the sam Hughes area was nice albeit much older. Does anyone local or in my position have any suggestions as for where to rent? My budget is around 700 at the top end if utilities are not included.

As for the law school I was very impressed. Even walking in on a random Sunday a very nice librarian named Brent took. Me and my folks o n a tour of the entire facility despite the fact that it was all closed and locked (who knew librarians have the skeleton key). Overall I was very impressed with the facilities especially considering the low number of students it has to cater to.

Anyways I am quite excited! I think I am pretty much set on here unless uc irvine decides to admit me off their wl (which they have all but told me outright is not going to h appen)

Any other admits still lurking in this very dead thread?
DTL, I may have a place for you to rent in tucson right by the law school. PM me if you get the chance, im also in LA right now too

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:32 pm

Incoming 1L at William and Mary. I have a request of some kind-hearted Arizona student.

Cynthia Ward is teaching Criminal Law at my school this year, but she doesn't have many exams on record. I was hoping that you could dig up some PDF's of her old exams from your password protected bank.

Cynthia Ward was an Associate Professor at Arizona back in the day, so there may even be some old hard copies (could you scan them?- I would be endlessly appreciative)

If any of your professors have ever taught at W&M, I'd be glad to do the same, but at this moment, this is just a request from some kind hearted individuals.

please PM me when you scrounge up some of her exams.

Thanks a million!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”