Housing at UChicago! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
rbarcelo9

Silver

Re: Housing at UChicago!

Post by rbarcelo9 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:37 am

Knitting seems harder than crocheting....

Tom Hagen

New

Post by Tom Hagen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Emma. wrote:
Tom Hagen wrote:Anybody not know where they're living yet?

I'm a 23 year old male looking for a roommate, male or female, to share an apartment or nice place. I'm specifically going to look for stainless steel appliances and granite countertops as close to the school as possible. Maybe Regents or Algonquin, but open to anything nice.

About me: I'm extremely neat and organized and I prefer the same in a roommate. I have a very well trained 12lb dog. I'm into fitness and like to eat healthy so I cook a lot at home. I take weekdays very seriously but I expect I'll want to party on weekends. I had an active social life in undergrad and still do so if you did/do too we might be on the same page socially.

I prefer to not live with someone straight out of UG but if you are and agree so far with what I'm looking for I'm sure it'll work.

I plan on taking school very seriously but neither law school nor the application process have been the center of my life so I'm not "one of those" and would rather not live with that type.

If anyone out there might be interested, private message would be best since replies to this post may get lost in the tide of other comments that I don't care to sift through. Let me know.
If you want very close to school there are some recently renovated condos on 61st and 62nd street that would probably fit what you are looking for.

Also, I live here and like it a lot: http://www.chicagoapt.com/index.php?opt ... ealty=user

A lot of the apartments in the building are independently owned, so prices vary (we pay less than what this one is listed for).

Wow thanks so much for this. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Tom Hagen

New

Post by Tom Hagen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:00 pm

Is anybody interested in sharing a 2/2 at Silver Cloud?? I'm going to reserve it in the next few days.

http://www.chicagoapt.com/index.php?opt ... ealty=user

About me:

I'm a 23 year old male looking for a roommate - male or female.

About me: I'm extremely neat and organized and I prefer the same in a roommate. I have a very well trained 12lb dog. I'm into fitness and like to eat healthy so I cook a lot at home. I take weekdays very seriously but I expect I'll want to party on weekends. I had an active social life in undergrad and still do so if you did/do too we might be on the same page socially.

I prefer to not live with someone straight out of UG but if you are and agree so far with what I'm looking for I'm sure it'll work.

I plan on taking school very seriously but neither law school nor the application process have been the center of my life so I'm not "one of those" and would rather not live with that type.

If anyone out there might be interested, private message would be best since replies to this post may get lost in the tide of other comments that I don't care to sift through. Let me know.

mcabi

New

Post by mcabi » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:46 pm

I'm looking for a female roommate. I prefer Regents but I'm not strongly opposed to other places. I like Regents because I haven't done much research on other options and Regents seems like a convenient and solid choice. But if you've already looked into another place, are completely set on it, and are looking for a female roommate, let me know.

I'm coming straight from undergrad. I'm a laid back and easygoing person. I'm clean, considerate, and respectful. I plan on working hard during the week with the exception of my evenings when I plan to take a few hours to decompress by either exercising, watching TV, or reading. During the weekend, I plan on studying half the day and taking the rest of my time off (unless of course briefs are due, we're in finals, or I simply have a lot of work to get done). I prefer not to live with a pet. I'm a non smoker and I really only drink socially.

PM if you're interested in being roommates.

JFo

Bronze

Post by JFo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:10 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:Knitting seems harder than crocheting....
In my experience, knitting is easier. My crochet attempts look like Muppet barf.

Regarding a TV, I have one. We got it for the Wii, and for the cat to have something else to knock objects off of.

To keep this on topic... I'm really hoping that the place I want to live has spots for September. They won't know until 60 days out. I will stalk their website come July. I'm just not sure where else I'll find somewhere that's large than 600 square feet, has hardwood, heat included, will let me have all the pets, and is w/in walking distance of The Law School.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sealrsqr

New

Post by sealrsqr » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:39 pm

trudat15 wrote:
Emma. wrote: Also, I live here and like it a lot: http://www.chicagoapt.com/index.php?opt ... ealty=user

A lot of the apartments in the building are independently owned, so prices vary (we pay less than what this one is listed for).
Your building is nice - but seems far away. Are there buses that come to you? Or do you walk it?
I also live in the Silver Cloud. We're a block away from the 171 (which goes straight to school) the 6 (goes downtown) and the Metra (also goes downtown) and just a few blocks from Regents (for walking home drunkenly from parties - not that I do that often, since I am anti-social and a 2L). The walk to school is just 30 - 35 minutes and is more pleasant than the bus.

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sealrsqr

New

Post by sealrsqr » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:07 pm

Meh. There are no high rise apartments near Ratner. So no package service. No doorman. No parking lot. I lived on that end of town for most of 1L and I hated it. My apartment was bigger and cheaper, but colder and dirtier. The area feels much more hood / sketch. (Not as bad as south of the law school, of course.) And it is always darker / gloomier, for whatever reason (not that Chicago is particularly sunny most of the time).

You pretty much have to walk / bike to school cuz by the time the bus makes it anywhere near Ratner it is full. (I guess you could pick it up at the book store - a lot of undergrads get off there - but by then you are bitter because a full bus passed you up at the Ratner stop.) And walking is more treacherous in the winter because smaller apartment buildings are less likely to salt / shovel their sidewalks.

You're significantly further from the Metra and the 6 and the grocery store and restaurants. You are, however, closer to Jimmy's. Best of all, most of the Hyde Park parrots nest in the park across Cottage Grove, so you might get lucky and get to see one...

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:08 pm

sealrsqr wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
Emma. wrote: Also, I live here and like it a lot: http://www.chicagoapt.com/index.php?opt ... ealty=user

Your building is nice - but seems far away. Are there buses that come to you? Or do you walk it?
I also live in the Silver Cloud. We're a block away from the 171 (which goes straight to school) the 6 (goes downtown) and the Metra (also goes downtown) and just a few blocks from Regents (for walking home drunkenly from parties - not that I do that often, since I am anti-social and a 2L). The walk to school is just 30 - 35 minutes and is more pleasant than the bus.
:shock:

Have we met? I didn't know there were other law students in the building.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:13 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sealrsqr

New

Post by sealrsqr » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:54 am

Emma. wrote: :shock:

I don't think so. I don't know any 1Ls in the building. I know we have two other 2Ls, at least one 3L, and a recent alum - though I haven't met him...

perspective

New

Post by perspective » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:29 pm

Looking for a roommate. Only decided on Chicago today.

I am a 22 year old male straight out of undergraduate. I enjoy socializing. I prioritize succeeding in class. I rarely drink and do not smoke. I am very neat and organized. I am from Atlanta so will probably want the apartment warm. I enjoy healthy food and enjoy cooking/helping to cook. I am not allergic to any animals. I will not have a vehicle. I do not want a TV or cable (only internet).

I would prefer to live in a newer building with nicer amenities. I am considering the Regents law school special, but I am unsure how convenient the location is.

Sorry for the monotony, but there we go!

Can't wait to meet y'all in the Fall!

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:08 pm

Also might be looking for a roommate, depending on how feasible I think a 1br on the student budget is.

I'm on the older side, male, and dont care how old my roommate is. I drink socially (or more than socially) and dont smoke. Typically try to eat healthier (gotta make up for those beer calories somewhere), and cook at home (though my food is admittedly not very good). Like to exercise and will probably try to work out 4-5 times a week (prob at Ratner), if only to keep my sanity during 1L.

I dont mind dogs too much, but am allergic to cats. Undecided on if I'm bring my car. I will definitely want a TV, which I've noticed is a major point of contention for many seeking roommates.

No idea where I'll be living, though if I end up at Regents, I think I'm pretty high up on the list (turned in my app relatively early). Will probably be heading back in the summer to check things out, esp those nice condos some of the other students live in. Def plan on being in HP though, at least for 1L.

PM me if interested.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:02 am

trudat15 wrote:
I will definitely want a TV, which I've noticed is a major point of contention for many seeking roommates.
I guess you can watch pretty much anything on teh internets these days, but I have no idea how anyone would survive 1L year without watching TV at all.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Wed May 04, 2011 6:36 pm

sealrsqr wrote:

I don't think so. I don't know any 1Ls in the building. I know we have two other 2Ls, at least one 3L, and a recent alum - though I haven't met him...
Hey! I was wondering if you know if any of the people you know in silver cloud will be moving out. I'd like to rent there, but am not sure how to go about securing a rental. I don't want to leave it to chance that one will be open on craigslist for September!
Thanks for any info!
Sarah

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed May 04, 2011 6:45 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
sealrsqr wrote:

Hey! I was wondering if you know if any of the people you know in silver cloud will be moving out. I'd like to rent there, but am not sure how to go about securing a rental. I don't want to leave it to chance that one will be open on craigslist for September!
Thanks for any info!
Sarah
Also curious.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Wed May 04, 2011 7:54 pm

lol totally meant to PM that, but if others want info it's good I posted it!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hotthaichick

Bronze

Post by hotthaichick » Sun May 08, 2011 12:12 pm

I will also need a roommate for Regents! I just deposited today after getting off of the wait-list and I am super excited!

I'm very neat in common spaces and a little cluttered in my own bedroom. I'm super hygienic, love food and baking, and plan on studying during the day and taking most evenings off if possible. Also I'd prefer a female roommate. And a non-smoker if possible..

I'm pretty laid back and a good roommate. I was an RA in college so I'm good at mediation skills:) Also my boyfriend will visit me occasionally, but we won't be grossly PDA or obtrusive. Also I love musicals. No idea why that would be relevant but oh well :D

PM me if anyone is interested!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun May 08, 2011 5:14 pm

Dany wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
sealrsqr wrote:

Thanks for any info!
Sarah
Also curious.
I'm moving out kinda early (my lease expires July 15th) so I doubt that helps anyone here.

Saul Goodman

Bronze

Post by Saul Goodman » Mon May 16, 2011 6:41 pm

I must say, the sabbatical homes places popping up on the Facebook page are rather enticing.

JFo

Bronze

Post by JFo » Mon May 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:I must say, the sabbatical homes places popping up on the Facebook page are rather enticing.
I'm totally emailing the person with the 3 Bd 2 Ba with washer/dryer and fenced yard for $1200. It's like a dream come true. SO thinks that someone was probably murdered there for it to be so cheap, but I can deal with that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Saul Goodman

Bronze

Post by Saul Goodman » Mon May 16, 2011 8:48 pm

JFo wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:I must say, the sabbatical homes places popping up on the Facebook page are rather enticing.
I'm totally emailing the person with the 3 Bd 2 Ba with washer/dryer and fenced yard for $1200. It's like a dream come true. SO thinks that someone was probably murdered there for it to be so cheap, but I can deal with that.
Your SO is probably right. It is after all listed by a Professor "On Sabbatical." Might that be Professor Plum, in the Billiard Room, with the Lead Pipe?

Either way, it's very much worth it. :)

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Tue May 17, 2011 9:27 am

Any current students want to share some south loop places where UChicago people live?

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Tue May 17, 2011 9:32 am

Sentry wrote:Any current students want to share some south loop places where UChicago people live?
My host during ASW lived in a place called the Roosevelt Collection which was really awesome. I believe it was recently built and the apartments were really cool. They have a site with prices, and they're a little more expensive than HP, but maybe worth it.

UCLaw

New

Post by UCLaw » Tue May 31, 2011 11:26 pm

If anyone is interested, I am a current 1L at Chicago and am looking for 2 roommates in a nice condo by the Lake and across the street from the Museum of Science and Industry. It is as good or better than Regents. The prices are $600 and $700 with all utilities included.
You can check the following posting for more info.
http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/listing.php?id=207705

You can PM with any questions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”