Maryland Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Terp2008

New

Maryland Class of 2014

Post by Terp2008 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Eager to hear from others who have committed to University of Maryland Law for the Class of 2014! Please share thoughts, roommate requests, stories, etc.!!!

ach24

Bronze

Re: Maryland Class of 2014

Post by ach24 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:07 am

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terp2008

New

Post by Terp2008 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:36 am

ach24 wrote:Anyone have info on housing close by?
I was just in the city and had some apartment tours on Saturday. Not sure what your price range is, but all of these are within 2 blocks of the law school and were all pretty nice:

The Redwood
Marlboro Classic
Zenith
The Atrium
Avalon Centerpoint
The Abell
The Greenehouse

Here are a couple others that are a little further but I've heard are nice still:
39 West Lexington
Sail Cloth Factory
Charles Towers

If you're looking for a row home rather than an apartment building and don't mind a little further walk, check out places in
Mt. Vernon
Ridgley's Delight
Federal Hill

This isn't an exhaustive list, just options I've looked into so far. Hope this helps!

tchan4269

New

Post by tchan4269 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:33 pm

I deposited as well....think I'll be living in Fell's Point or Federal Hill

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:00 pm

hope to be in here soon guys, just waiting for that preferred waitlist call...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Terp2008

New

Post by Terp2008 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:02 pm

tchan4269 wrote:I deposited as well....think I'll be living in Fell's Point or Federal Hill
How do you plan on commuting? Pretty far walk from both

tchan4269

New

Post by tchan4269 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:21 pm

Terp2008 wrote:
tchan4269 wrote:I deposited as well....think I'll be living in Fell's Point or Federal Hill
How do you plan on commuting? Pretty far walk from both
I'll be driving/carpooling.

ach24

Bronze

Post by ach24 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:46 pm

tchan4269

New

Post by tchan4269 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:28 pm

ach24 wrote:
Terp2008 wrote:
ach24 wrote:Anyone have info on housing close by?
I was just in the city and had some apartment tours on Saturday. Not sure what your price range is, but all of these are within 2 blocks of the law school and were all pretty nice:

The Redwood
Marlboro Classic
Zenith
The Atrium
Avalon Centerpoint
The Abell
The Greenehouse

Here are a couple others that are a little further but I've heard are nice still:
39 West Lexington
Sail Cloth Factory
Charles Towers

If you're looking for a row home rather than an apartment building and don't mind a little further walk, check out places in
Mt. Vernon
Ridgley's Delight
Federal Hill

This isn't an exhaustive list, just options I've looked into so far. Hope this helps!
Definitely helpful! I've been looking at a few of these places. A couple of friends in Bmore gave me some suggestions, too. They live in Fed Hill, though, and I'm not sure I want to live that far out. I've been thinking about going without a car (have one now, but it would be cheaper to not take it with me I think). When I took the tour, the guide was very enthusiastic about using the Charm City Circulator since it's free.

Are you guys getting any help with tuition or having to pay sticker?
sticker :/ whatever though...i'm not going to sweat it.

i visited Baltimore last weekend. although it's not walkable, FH is really not all that far away. It really seemed like everything was close together, but im sure im biased because i was in a rental car :/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:04 pm

in this thread...any of you guys receive a need grant or the legal scholars scholarship? Man I really wish I could get my hands on some free aid...

saky

New

Post by saky » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:17 pm

I'm in and committed... Hello all and congrats!
I already live in Baltimore ...so paying sticker but in-state rate so...

I was just offered a seat last week so I am guessing that I missed the admitted student day...but do any of you know if there will be another asd type of event....before august?

ach24

Bronze

Post by ach24 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:28 pm

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:53 am

man ouch, i guess i wouldn't even bother asking them for a consideration at this point then. Fin aid even told me that their 4k grants are already all tied up too...that's harsh lol. I'm also gonna call and ask fin aid eventually about establishing in state residency but anyone already knowledgeable on the matter?

also applied for the pascault row studio today, anyone else happen to apply there?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tchan4269

New

Post by tchan4269 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:11 pm

lsatextreme wrote:man ouch, i guess i wouldn't even bother asking them for a consideration at this point then. Fin aid even told me that their 4k grants are already all tied up too...that's harsh lol. I'm also gonna call and ask fin aid eventually about establishing in state residency but anyone already knowledgeable on the matter?

also applied for the pascault row studio today, anyone else happen to apply there?
If you aren't already in-state, it's virtually impossible to establish residency while attending a MD school. From what I've been told, the main criterion is that you are NOT living in the state for the primary purpose of attending a MD educational institution. There are "ways" to prove you are in the state for other reasons and have an intent of staying within the state for an extended period, but they're mostly inapplicable to the majority of those moving solely for school. All of the criteria, etc. are listed on UMB's financial aid website, under FAQs as I recall.

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:21 pm

can't wait to see u guys in maryland!

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:32 pm

tchan4269 wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:man ouch, i guess i wouldn't even bother asking them for a consideration at this point then. Fin aid even told me that their 4k grants are already all tied up too...that's harsh lol. I'm also gonna call and ask fin aid eventually about establishing in state residency but anyone already knowledgeable on the matter?

If you aren't already in-state, it's virtually impossible to establish residency while attending a MD school. From what I've been told, the main criterion is that you are NOT living in the state for the primary purpose of attending a MD educational institution. There are "ways" to prove you are in the state for other reasons and have an intent of staying within the state for an extended period, but they're mostly inapplicable to the majority of those moving solely for school. All of the criteria, etc. are listed on UMB's financial aid website, under FAQs as I recall.
so even if i were to get a driver's license, register to vote, starting paying md taxes, etc. none of that would help huh? How would I go about establishing that I do intend to stay in MD after graduation? Like if I got summer 1L employment in baltimore? Would that even help?

tchan4269

New

Post by tchan4269 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:21 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
tchan4269 wrote:

so even if i were to get a driver's license, register to vote, starting paying md taxes, etc. none of that would help huh? How would I go about establishing that I do intend to stay in MD after graduation? Like if I got summer 1L employment in baltimore? Would that even help?
According to the FA office, no, none of that is going to prove you are in the state beyond the purpose of attending school.

All the requirements, including what constitutes a presumption that you're in MD primarily for school, and what you can do to rebut that are here: http://www.usmd.edu/regents/bylaws/Sect ... II270.html

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Terp2008

New

Post by Terp2008 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:01 pm

lsatextreme wrote:in this thread...any of you guys receive a need grant or the legal scholars scholarship? Man I really wish I could get my hands on some free aid...
I'm in state, and FA is really tough at UMD. Only by the grace of God did they offer me Leadership Scholars....actually, it was a combination of luck and hard work. A 3 page written appeal, lots of follow up (phone, email, in person), lots of networking with current students and faculty, recommendations from current faculty, a fortuitious opening in the program, reasonable academic credentials/4 years of strong leadership experience in college, and a solid interview with the deans was honestly what got me in.

My advice is don't give up, people may have put down deposits and could still drop. Just be realistic and figure out if you're actually in a position to warrant a look from admissions, but know that almost all the money is probably gone already and it's really a game of both chance and perseverence - kinda like getting a job is going to be for all of us!!! End result for me was $12.5K/year, which will definitely be helpful.

Just fyi - I had committed to MD prior to interviewing a few weeks ago for the Scholars program, so I feel for everyone paying sticker because that's what I figured I'd be doing too! Good news is MD is cheap comparatively no matter how you slice it, and there's a good chance because of the recent $30M endowment that we'll move up the rankings into the 30's next year :-)

ach24

Bronze

Post by ach24 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:21 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:30 pm

I see, thanks for all the helpful information. I gave admissions a call this morning, and the lady told me that the legal scholarship considerations were done during the actual admissions process so if I didn't hear anything about the scholarship, then I'm not going to qualify and that's all that they have to offer in terms of scholarships. I had just gotten off the PWL after having sent 2 LOCIs saying that said I was committed to Maryland, so I dunno how well it'll work out for me to say that I have other more debt averse options elsewhere. It also looks like that whole establish in-state residency is a b!@#$ and a half, so I can't rely on that to lower my debt. I guess this is what I should have expected but now that I'm actually put into the position of facing a near 200k debt, I'm starting to have some second thoughts on whether this is really a good decision for me.

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Sun May 01, 2011 6:48 pm

did anyone go to the ASD on 3/26? Any comments on how it went, your impressions, etc?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AvaMaria

New

Post by AvaMaria » Mon May 02, 2011 3:46 pm

lsatextreme wrote:did anyone go to the ASD on 3/26? Any comments on how it went, your impressions, etc?
i did, i was very impressed, the campus is really nice, the surrounding area is not though, i'd recommend a gun

AvaMaria

New

Post by AvaMaria » Mon May 02, 2011 3:51 pm

I also noticed there was very little diversity, mostly white students/faculty, and maybe a few URMs; baltimore is the same as campus, you could hardly find any non-American restaurants, except Nak Won, a nice korean bbq place

tchan4269

New

Post by tchan4269 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:19 pm

AvaMaria wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:did anyone go to the ASD on 3/26? Any comments on how it went, your impressions, etc?
i did, i was very impressed, the campus is really nice, the surrounding area is not though, i'd recommend a gun
I think that assessment's a smidge over-dramatic. While I didn't attend ASD, I visited a couple of weekends ago, and I hardly felt like I needed a firearm to protect myself. I would agree that the immediate area surrounding the school isn't the best, it certainly isn't the worst I've ever been in. I'm not sure where you're from, but I've been in ATL for the past 5 years and I by far felt safer in Baltimore than the majority of this city....

tiffers16

New

Post by tiffers16 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:18 pm

tchan4269 wrote:
AvaMaria wrote:
I think that assessment's a smidge over-dramatic. While I didn't attend ASD, I visited a couple of weekends ago, and I hardly felt like I needed a firearm to protect myself. I would agree that the immediate area surrounding the school isn't the best, it certainly isn't the worst I've ever been in. I'm not sure where you're from, but I've been in ATL for the past 5 years and I by far felt safer in Baltimore than the majority of this city....
I totally agree. I have visited Baltimore and compared to Miami, it does not appear to be as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be. It all boils down to street smarts to keep yourself safe.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”