Utah Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
twozeroseven

New

Utah Class of 2014

Post by twozeroseven » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:56 am

It was time this was done. I will be attending in August.

twozeroseven

New

Re: Utah Class of 2014

Post by twozeroseven » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:51 am

Where are people living / looking to live? At this time the mighty Craigslist is pretty bleak in the areas I'm looking at. Unless 4 people want to get a "law house" -- big 4 BR places are very cheap it seems, even in the Avenues and the Sugarhouse area.

fragged

Bronze

Post by fragged » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:39 pm

I haven't visited yet, so I'm not sure where I will be living. Granted, my needs are a bit different (family of 4) but so far from what I've seen, Sugarhouse looks like an ideal place. East Millcreek appears to be a bit cheaper, but I'm only going by the ads I see on Craigslist.

Are there any areas to stay away from?

jowipa

New

Post by jowipa » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Pretty much the further east from state street the better the area. Really anywhere around East Mill Creek, Sugarhouse, Cottonwood and parts of downtown you will be in a nice area. - I list these because they are all within about 15 to 20 min if bad traffic to the U.

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:39 pm

fragged wrote:I haven't visited yet, so I'm not sure where I will be living. Granted, my needs are a bit different (family of 4) but so far from what I've seen, Sugarhouse looks like an ideal place. East Millcreek appears to be a bit cheaper, but I'm only going by the ads I see on Craigslist.

Not sure what needs you have re: the other 3 humans with you. Keep in mind that the Avenues are awesome, but it is a real pain to get to the highway. Sugarhouse and Millcreek have much better access. I also saw a pretty dope pad (4 BR) listed in Olympus Cove. Very swank 'hood.

Much/most of the city is not inspiring (for me, from the east cost), but there is not any area to beware of until you get W of State Street.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hrourke

New

Post by hrourke » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:07 pm

fragged wrote:I haven't visited yet, so I'm not sure where I will be living. Granted, my needs are a bit different (family of 4) but so far from what I've seen, Sugarhouse looks like an ideal place. East Millcreek appears to be a bit cheaper, but I'm only going by the ads I see on Craigslist.

My family of 4 found a 3 bedroom place in Millcreek for $1000/mo. I think anything (decent) on the east side will be about $1000 - $1500/mo for a 3 bedroom. It's a nice area and easy to get to the freeway and to campus. Stay away from West Valley, Rose Park, anything on the west side.

fragged

Bronze

Post by fragged » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:43 pm

Anyone check out CIS yet?

I just poked around and clicked to view my registration dates. It shows my enrollment appointment is April 15th at 8am. I'm pretty sure it's a little early to enroll in classes...

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:02 am

fragged wrote:Anyone check out CIS yet?

I just poked around and clicked to view my registration dates. It shows my enrollment appointment is April 15th at 8am. I'm pretty sure it's a little early to enroll in classes...
I only set up my email on that thing. I think tomorrow is a bit early to enroll as well. Clearly a snafu. Also, they won't let you enroll until you send them 2 copies of your UG transcripts. I'm glad my UG doesn't charge for that. Also, re: email, i was really hoping that Utah had migrated to Google / Gmail, but no such luck.

Pink

Bronze

Post by Pink » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:59 pm

Northwest Salt Lake/Rose Park/Glendale. East side is typically ok, though there's a close to campus/dorm style apt complex to stay the eff away from. I believe it's 200 S 1300 E.

Last year I believe 1Ls had their classes picked/assigned to them, so I don't know how much registering we'll need to do (although all sections of the same class meet at the same times anyway according to their schedule).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pink

Bronze

Post by Pink » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:00 pm

hrourke wrote:

My family of 4 found a 3 bedroom place in Millcreek for $1000/mo. I think anything (decent) on the east side will be about $1000 - $1500/mo for a 3 bedroom. It's a nice area and easy to get to the freeway and to campus. Stay away from West Valley, Rose Park, anything on the west side.
Hey, West Jordan is nice :P (although admittedly, far away for commuting).

hrourke

New

Post by hrourke » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Pink wrote:
hrourke wrote:

Hey, West Jordan is nice :P (although admittedly, far away for commuting).
That's true. I was referring to places closer to campus. Anywhere south of the valley towards Utah County is newer and nicer. Probably a little cheaper as well. Just a horrible commute during rush hour. Although, a few friends of mine commute to the U from Lehi everyday. They say it's not that bad if they schedule their commute around rush hour.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:55 pm

Hey guys, I am looking for someone to take over my contract and I live literally across the street from the Law school. My land lord will be looking for someone to take the place for the upcoming school year too. Its a private one bedroom apartment, ideal for a married couple w/o children.

It's 650 a month all utilities included +cable and internet. I need someone to take the place may 7th or 8th through the summer. A cool bonus is that the landlord and his roommate are both U of U law grads, so you can get an in with a firm. PM me if you are interested.

BTW sorry about advertising on TLS but I have always thought that this would be the place that i would want to live if I was going to go to the U.

oh and last summer this place only lasted 4 hours on ksl.com. we haven't posted it yet but we will soon and it will probably go really fast.

jowipa

New

Post by jowipa » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:45 am

Hey has anyone heard from any of that scholarship money that was freed up from those not going to the U? They said how they will do a second round but I haven't heard anything from anyone. Would be nice to get some more help paying for all of this :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hrourke

New

Post by hrourke » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:03 am

jowipa wrote:Hey has anyone heard from any of that scholarship money that was freed up from those not going to the U? They said how they will do a second round but I haven't heard anything from anyone. Would be nice to get some more help paying for all of this :D
I emailed this week and they said all second round offers have been awarded. They have had a high yield on their scholarships this year, so they don't expect a third round. If they go a third round, the amounts will be small and nonrenewable. Need-based scholarships will be awarded in the next couple weeks.

fragged

Bronze

Post by fragged » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:52 pm

I was hoping for some aid for the first year, at least to soften the blow of a $39k tuition bill. Oh well, years 2 and 3 should be pretty affordable.

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:16 am

fragged wrote:I was hoping for some aid for the first year, at least to soften the blow of a $39k tuition bill. Oh well, years 2 and 3 should be pretty affordable.
Same here. Curse me and my lackadaisical drunken undergraduate gpa.

On the money thought though: I looked (very briefly) at the financial aid award letter last night. I didn't seem to see anything regarding the PLUS loans ... just the Stafford ones totaling 20,500. I was expecting to see PLUS loans up to the total COA.

trace30

New

Post by trace30 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:14 am

twozeroseven wrote:
fragged wrote:I was hoping for some aid for the first year, at least to soften the blow of a $39k tuition bill. Oh well, years 2 and 3 should be pretty affordable.
Same here. Curse me and my lackadaisical drunken undergraduate gpa.

On the money thought though: I looked (very briefly) at the financial aid award letter last night. I didn't seem to see anything regarding the PLUS loans ... just the Stafford ones totaling 20,500. I was expecting to see PLUS loans up to the total COA.
No Graduate Plus+ info on mine either; it must end up being a separate application. I was surprised to get a full Perkins though cause my EFC was definitely not $0 as Dean Aguilar seems to emphasize.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hrourke

New

Post by hrourke » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:14 pm

Grad Plus loans are a separate application. It should be listed on the financial aid website (http://www.sa.utah.edu/finance/FA/forms.htm) when they get it up for the upcoming year.

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:13 am

Did anyone have any luck negotiating aid with Reyes? I got a late acceptance from Tulane with scholarship money, which is better leverage than I had previously. I know they were expecting to have little / none available for a 2nd or 3rd round, but ...

jowipa

New

Post by jowipa » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:48 am

Has anyone heard about need based scholarships?

Pink

Bronze

Post by Pink » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:41 pm

twozeroseven wrote:Did anyone have any luck negotiating aid with Reyes? I got a late acceptance from Tulane with scholarship money, which is better leverage than I had previously. I know they were expecting to have little / none available for a 2nd or 3rd round, but ...
They don't negotiate, but you could try.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hrourke

New

Post by hrourke » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:51 pm

jowipa wrote:Has anyone heard about need based scholarships?
I received a little scholarship last week via email.

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:15 pm

Pink wrote: They don't negotiate, but you could try.
I'm still unclear about merit aid vs. tuition waiver. Is one easier for them to stomach than the other? I assume merit aid is actual funding, tuition waiver is unrealized gross. Even a little bit off the OOS 1L year would make all the difference.

Pink

Bronze

Post by Pink » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:21 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
Pink wrote: They don't negotiate, but you could try.
I'm still unclear about merit aid vs. tuition waiver. Is one easier for them to stomach than the other? I assume merit aid is actual funding, tuition waiver is unrealized gross. Even a little bit off the OOS 1L year would make all the difference.
I don't think it makes a difference to be honest. I'm guessing the tuition waiver comes from a pool used for all graduate programs (based Aguilar saying something about it being from the graduate school office or something), and the other is from the law school.

I mean, you could try, but no one has been successful thusfar (that I've seen anyway).

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Pink wrote:
I don't think it makes a difference to be honest. I'm guessing the tuition waiver comes from a pool used for all graduate programs (based Aguilar saying something about it being from the graduate school office or something), and the other is from the law school.

I mean, you could try, but no one has been successful thusfar (that I've seen anyway).
Aguiliar didn't rule it out when I spoke to him, so at least it's not policy to <i>not</i> negotiate. I'm psyched to have gotten accepted (and pretty fast) given my GPA, what it boils down to is that i should have maintained my residency in UT since I had no real plans of attending my home-state school. Crystal ball fail.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”