Pacific-McGeorge Class of 2014!!! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
mavregade

New

Re: Pacific-McGeorge Class of 2014!!!

Post by mavregade » Mon May 23, 2011 7:01 pm

Ryan9 wrote:Anyone else coming from the East Coast???
Me.

mavregade

New

Post by mavregade » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:15 pm

ANybody looking for a roommate?

szimmerman

New

Post by szimmerman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:07 am

mavregade wrote:ANybody looking for a roommate?
Yes! And I have absolutely no idea how to find one.

gokickrocks

Bronze

Post by gokickrocks » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:38 am

mavregade wrote:ANybody looking for a roommate?
I'm kind of looking. I sort of have a place lined up, but it's about 15 minutes away without traffic. I would like to find a place closer to campus, and would prefer to have a roommate so that rent is cheaper.

mavregade

New

Post by mavregade » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:33 pm

szimmerman, you can email housing (its on the website) to get a list of postings, check craigslist, etc. I'm still looking if you're interested. gockickrocks, the same applies. I'd like to live cheaper than $800 a month in rent because I'm living on loans. Plus selling my soul to afford moving out of the south.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:15 pm

Hello all. I just completed my first year at McGeorge. I just wanted to congratulate you all in coming here!

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:17 pm

If you guys have any questions feel free to message message me or email me at z_scalzo@u.pacific.edu

Crazzzybudha

New

Post by Crazzzybudha » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:01 pm

scuzle wrote:If you guys have any questions feel free to message message me or email me at z_scalzo@u.pacific.edu
Mind if I ask questions on here for all to see?

First one that comes to mind is; I went to Pacific and my student tour guide mentioned something about "year long classes", but I didn't think to ask about it. So first, are there year long classes (midterms in December instead of finals) and if so, how does it work and do you consider it a positive or negative?

I had 4 hours of sleep before an 8 hour day of sitting in planes/ airports, so there is a better than average chance that I imagined the whole thing.

And thank you for taking questions! It is much appreciated!

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:15 pm

Yes, there are year-long classes. Unless things have changed a bunch since I was a 1L, it was like so (day division):

Year-long classes:
- Property
- Torts
- Contracts
- Civ Pro
- Legal Process

You have all of the above in the fall and in the spring. In the spring, they also throw Crim Law in there, which is your only single semester class first year.

There are midterms for the year-long classes. The prof decides on how to split the weight. If I recall correctly, most of mine were like 30 or 40 percent of grade on midterm, 70 or 60 percent of grade on final. Works out well if you royally screw up on your midterm as it can raise your grade to perform well on the final. Of course, if you do awesome on midterms, it can also drag you down if you screw up on the finals.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Crazzzybudha

New

Post by Crazzzybudha » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks for the response!

I hope you guys don't mind if I post random questions about Pacific as they come to me.

Law Review. McGeorge's website says the qualifications to join law review are to be in the top 25%, and some other things that also seem to indicate high grades. So, does anyone happen to know if law review at Pacific is "grade on" only, or is there a write on and/or even if you grade on you have to also write on?

Please excuse my ignorance, but 25% of the class seems to be a whole lot of people working on a journal.

acmass

New

Post by acmass » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:55 am

Crazzzybudha wrote:Thanks for the response!

I hope you guys don't mind if I post random questions about Pacific as they come to me.

Law Review. McGeorge's website says the qualifications to join law review are to be in the top 25%, and some other things that also seem to indicate high grades. So, does anyone happen to know if law review at Pacific is "grade on" only, or is there a write on and/or even if you grade on you have to also write on?

Please excuse my ignorance, but 25% of the class seems to be a whole lot of people working on a journal.
(Please correct me if I'm wrong! I'm checking my scribbled notes from Legal Scholars Day...)

In order to solicit for Greensheets, you either have to a) be ranked first in 1L Legal Writing, b) be in the top 50% after 1L fall midterms, c) be in the top 25% after 1L, or d) be in the top 25% after 2L.

Crazzzybudha

New

Post by Crazzzybudha » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:50 am

Thanks!

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Officially checking in. Got my scholarship upped to 15k per plus first year books. This pretty much sealed the deal. Look forward to seeing you all in the fall! Any suggestions for places to look for housing?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Crazzzybudha wrote:Thanks!
There are two parts of law review. In order to write on the Greensheets, the part of law review that discusses pending state legislation, you must be top 50% and solicitation is in March or April. In order to solicit for Comment, the other poster was right. You must either Witkin GLS or be top 25% to solicit. In addition if you are top 1/3 you are also invited to solicit Globe. Just wanted to make it explicit. Good luck.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:04 pm

If you don't make it onto law review or the secondary journal, but your grades are awesome, you still have a shot. I know a few people who were invited to apply to be associate editors (not board editors) on the secondary journal during their third year. I don't know if that happens every year and I don't know why it happens. I would guess not enough people decide to stick around after putting their one year in as a staff writer/editor.

Crazzzybudha

New

Post by Crazzzybudha » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:40 pm

Thanks for the replies, very helpful and much appreciated. Next random question:

I was wondering how classes are (I didn't visit until finals week). How are the professors on a laidback - asshole scale, say on 1-10 (especially 1st year profs). Any wannabe Kingsfields to watch out for?

Thanks!

acmass

New

Post by acmass » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:28 pm

Crazzzybudha wrote:Thanks for the replies, very helpful and much appreciated. Next random question:

I was wondering how classes are (I didn't visit until finals week). How are the professors on a laidback - asshole scale, say on 1-10 (especially 1st year profs). Any wannabe Kingsfields to watch out for?

Thanks!
I sat in on Larry Levine's 1L Torts class and the Mock Class he taught when I visited for Legal Scholars Day. I thought he seemed pretty laid back, funny, throws out candy for correct answers...he seems pretty good at helping his students get to the heart of their opinions of the cases and subject matter by talking his students through their reasoning. He seems to press you with questions in a good way to really draw out the reasoning behind whatever it is you've just shared with the rest of the class.

Granted, that's just from two very different classes with him...but I definitely wouldn't mind being in one of his classes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Levine's pretty awesome. I think you'd be lucky to get him.

I never had Main, but I only ever heard good things. Wished I could have had a class from him.

Some profs are more formal than laid back, but that doesn't make them assholes (not that there aren't some assholes, but they're the minority).

The first year, you have no choice in profs. The upperclassmen will clue you in.

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:28 pm

Levine=Awesome. Coletta=Awesome. Thats all I have to say. In reality, all the professors who teach the first year doctrinal courses (i.e. property, torts, contracts etc...) are very good teachers, save a few exceptions (ask 2L because I do not want to put inflamatory remarks on here.) Moreover, if youre lucky youll get in a section which has Fridays off so you can drink your faceoff thursday nights.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”