University of Washington Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
layercake

New

University of Washington Class of 2014

Post by layercake » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Did not see a thread for UW, so I made one.

Who will be attending this year? Anyone going to the ASW in April or May?

apaint

Bronze

Re: University of Washington Class of 2014

Post by apaint » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:01 pm

I will be attending!! I visited last weekend and LOVED IT!!

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:39 pm

Strongly considering it. Also sitting in the airport after leaving the ASD from earlier today...such a gorgeous campus. Did anyone else go?

layercake

New

Post by layercake » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:10 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:Strongly considering it. Also sitting in the airport after leaving the ASD from earlier today...such a gorgeous campus. Did anyone else go?
how was ASD? what took place?

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:54 am

layercake wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:Strongly considering it. Also sitting in the airport after leaving the ASD from earlier today...such a gorgeous campus. Did anyone else go?
It was pretty good. There was a lot of the standard ASD stuff -- tour of the law building, a mock class, the Dean and a student panel talking up the school -- but it was a great chance for me to check out the city and the general ambience of the school. Beautiful campus and everyone was supremely welcoming and warm.

If I had a few concerns, it's that none of the current students did much to dispel just how tough that Seattle legal market is. While some kids did have work, during Iunch also asked a couple 2Ls their plans for the summer and they didn't have any. It seems like everyone at UW wants to do public interest and I'm really not sure how many jobs there are to accomodate everyone.

Also, along with a 1-hour mock class, they also had us observe a real 2-hour Crim Law class and it was just too much. It's always nice to see the dynamic between prof and students and how these classes are taught, but I think we should all know what we're getting ourselves into at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

layercake

New

Post by layercake » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:42 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:
layercake wrote:
It was pretty good. There was a lot of the standard ASD stuff -- tour of the law building, a mock class, the Dean and a student panel talking up the school -- but it was a great chance for me to check out the city and the general ambience of the school. Beautiful campus and everyone was supremely welcoming and warm.

If I had a few concerns, it's that none of the current students did much to dispel just how tough that Seattle legal market is. While some kids did have work, during Iunch also asked a couple 2Ls their plans for the summer and they didn't have any. It seems like everyone at UW wants to do public interest and I'm really not sure how many jobs there are to accomodate everyone.

Also, along with a 1-hour mock class, they also had us observe a real 2-hour Crim Law class and it was just too much. It's always nice to see the dynamic between prof and students and how these classes are taught, but I think we should all know what we're getting ourselves into at this point.
thanks for the info!

trail_blazers

New

Post by trail_blazers » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:36 pm

I'll be attending as well! I went to UW for my undergrad studies so let me know if you have any questions about Seattle.

layercake

New

Post by layercake » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:01 pm

apaint wrote:I will be attending!! I visited last weekend and LOVED IT!!
have you considered any neighborhoods to live in?

djjefferson

New

Post by djjefferson » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:45 pm

I missed the ASD but visited campus a few weeks ago and am going to decide by the end of the week whether to send my deposit to UW or UC Davis (where I visited this weekend). Overall, I'm impressed by the school, the campus, and Seattle overall as someone who will be moving to the west coast from Boston. I'm especially intrigued by the fact that UW offers a strong environmental law program and an LLM in int'l sustainable development, which is the field in which I hope to practice.

However, I'm also somewhat worried about the legal market in Seattle, as a previous poster mentioned. Ideally, I'd prefer to begin my practice in the SF Bay area, but it would be good to know that a NW city (i.e., Seattle or Portland) could serve as a good backup. Does anyone have any insights about recent firm placement (specifically for environmental law, if possible) in CA or the NW?

Finally, if anyone is interested in exploring housing options, I might be interested in living with one roommate. Otherwise, I'd be happy to look for my own place in conjunction with another student, so that we could bounce ideas off of each other. I'm particularly interested in living in either Fremont or Wallingford.

Congrats to all of us accepts! Perhaps we'll meet in a couple of months.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hat

New

Post by hat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Has anyone submitted the deposit yet?
Should the check be made payable to the Law school or the University? And to which address should it be mailed? I am a little confused by the information I got.
Thanks! :D

apaint

Bronze

Post by apaint » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:13 am

Information on neighborhoods near UW.

http://www.law.washington.edu/Admission ... s/Housing/

jppatt16

New

Post by jppatt16 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:08 pm

hat wrote:Has anyone submitted the deposit yet?
Should the check be made payable to the Law school or the University? And to which address should it be mailed? I am a little confused by the information I got.
Thanks! :D
You just make it out to the university itself.

On a side note, is it bad that the most appealing apartment I've found so far is not rooted in feasibility (price, location, etc.), but because it's named after a locale in Lord of the Rings?: http://www.lothlorienapartments.com/

oliveminna

New

Post by oliveminna » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:40 pm

sending in my deposit today. I attended the ASD And thought it was great. Everyone seemed really welcoming and encouraging. I felt better about the economic outlook after speaking with Dean Testy about the employment #'s. She told me that U.WA numbers are not fudged at all, that the numbers represent real jobs, and that she had personally followed up with graduates to make sure. Mr Le also told us that, for the most part, graduates got the jobs they wanted.

Now to decide about housing. I have lived in Seattle for quite a while now if people have questions. I would like to move closer to the university but do I really want to spend even MORE $? I know this is a long shot, but any parents/single parents out there who might want to rent a big house in the Ravenna/bryant/ mapleleaf area (good public schools)?

At any rate, I am really excited and can't wait to meet you all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

layercake

New

Post by layercake » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:46 pm

oliveminna wrote:sending in my deposit today. I attended the ASD And thought it was great. Everyone seemed really welcoming and encouraging. I felt better about the economic outlook after speaking with Dean Testy about the employment #'s. She told me that U.WA numbers are not fudged at all, that the numbers represent real jobs, and that she had personally followed up with graduates to make sure. Mr Le also told us that, for the most part, graduates got the jobs they wanted.

Now to decide about housing. I have lived in Seattle for quite a while now if people have questions. I would like to move closer to the university but do I really want to spend even MORE $? I know this is a long shot, but any parents/single parents out there who might want to rent a big house in the Ravenna/bryant/ mapleleaf area (good public schools)?

At any rate, I am really excited and can't wait to meet you all.
since you have lived in seattle, would you recommend the greenlake area? it seems like a nice area and not too far from campus, a little north of ravenna

Douglb1

New

Post by Douglb1 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:38 pm

Greenlake is a nice area. The lake is a very popular place when the weather is nice for hanging out and walking/biking. Pretty quiet area, a few bars but not a big nightlife scene. It's not too far of a commute to UW. Greenlake/Ravenna are probably the nicer areas around there to live. A lot of the stuff in the U district is pretty run down and full of college students. East of UW are a couple of upscale neighborhoods (Laurelhurst/Windermere) where you might be able to find a mother-in-law apartment or that type of thing, but there aren't really any apartment complexes that way. Greenlake is probably a pretty good option because it's relatively close to everything, but it's also quieter and more laid back than the U district or downtown.

layercake

New

Post by layercake » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:03 pm

Douglb1 wrote:Greenlake is a nice area. The lake is a very popular place when the weather is nice for hanging out and walking/biking. Pretty quiet area, a few bars but not a big nightlife scene. It's not too far of a commute to UW. Greenlake/Ravenna are probably the nicer areas around there to live. A lot of the stuff in the U district is pretty run down and full of college students. East of UW are a couple of upscale neighborhoods (Laurelhurst/Windermere) where you might be able to find a mother-in-law apartment or that type of thing, but there aren't really any apartment complexes that way. Greenlake is probably a pretty good option because it's relatively close to everything, but it's also quieter and more laid back than the U district or downtown.
thanks!

jppatt16

New

Post by jppatt16 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:08 pm

Have any of you all heard updates on financial awards for the year?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dawei

New

Post by dawei » Wed May 04, 2011 7:49 am

UW's website has info about the 2011 Gates Public Scholars.

http://www.law.washington.edu/GatesScho ... olars.aspx

Some neat stories there.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed May 04, 2011 10:44 am

dawei wrote:UW's website has info about the 2011 Gates Public Scholars.

http://www.law.washington.edu/GatesScho ... olars.aspx

Some neat stories there.
Just re-enforces my decision not to bother to apply.

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Sun May 15, 2011 2:52 pm

Moving from the eastern Midwest to the West Coast is going to be brutal..

SHarry3666

New

Post by SHarry3666 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Just received the following email from AdmissionsDean because I indicated that I've been accepted to UW Law . . . thought I'd share:
Since you've applied to University of Washington School of Law, we would like to let you know you about a scholarship opportunity sponsored by Microsoft.

Microsoft has generously agreed to sponsor UW Law students to attend a Law Preview law school prep course this summer. To learn more about this scholarship opportunity, visit the following URL: www.lawpreview.com/scholarships.

Please note the application deadline is June 1, 2011.  You will be informed of the outcome on or before June 4, 2011.  If you have any questions about the program, please email: microsoft-scholarships@lawpreview.com.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kayskay

New

Post by kayskay » Tue May 17, 2011 9:04 pm

SHarry3666 wrote:Just received the following email from AdmissionsDean because I indicated that I've been accepted to UW Law . . . thought I'd share:
Since you've applied to University of Washington School of Law, we would like to let you know you about a scholarship opportunity sponsored by Microsoft.

Microsoft has generously agreed to sponsor UW Law students to attend a Law Preview law school prep course this summer. To learn more about this scholarship opportunity, visit the following URL: www.lawpreview.com/scholarships.

Please note the application deadline is June 1, 2011.  You will be informed of the outcome on or before June 4, 2011.  If you have any questions about the program, please email: microsoft-scholarships@lawpreview.com.
Got this as well. It looks like the scholarship is specifically for minority/underrepresented students and I'm about as straight up overrepresented as they come, so I guess I'll give it a shot and see what happens? Not something I'd pursue if I had to pay sticker for it, but kind of a nice bonus thing/in with Microsoft for when the time comes I guess.

chicityteacher

Bronze

Post by chicityteacher » Wed May 18, 2011 11:08 pm

HEEEEEEEY Everybody!

I just saw that there was a thread for this...I am SUPER PUMPED to be attending UW next year. I visited a few weeks back and did the tour/class thing and it was great. Although, I'm definitely worried about jumping into the abyss of debt. Hopefully this is a good decision.

So, all of my friends that went to UW are telling me that craigslist is the place to look for apartments. Anyone else have advice on finding a place? Also, anyone have an idea of how much money I'll have from loans to spend on housing in the first place? My gf and I are planning on getting a place together and we are kind of unsure of what price range we should be looking at right now. I'm thinking below 1000. Thoughts?

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Thu May 19, 2011 12:28 am

chicityteacher wrote:HEEEEEEEY Everybody!

I just saw that there was a thread for this...I am SUPER PUMPED to be attending UW next year. I visited a few weeks back and did the tour/class thing and it was great. Although, I'm definitely worried about jumping into the abyss of debt. Hopefully this is a good decision.

So, all of my friends that went to UW are telling me that craigslist is the place to look for apartments. Anyone else have advice on finding a place? Also, anyone have an idea of how much money I'll have from loans to spend on housing in the first place? My gf and I are planning on getting a place together and we are kind of unsure of what price range we should be looking at right now. I'm thinking below 1000. Thoughts?

Based on the finaid stats from UW you'll receive roughly $13,600 for 'room and board.' Since their breakdown includes amounts for the other basic expenses, you can assume that figure is what it suggests-- rent/food. The school year is about 10 months; so, you can figure you'll have $1,357 a month for food/rent. I'd budget something like $250 for utilities/parking ($125 per person). I made it through undergraduate paying roughly 50% of my tuition to rent/utilities, but UW budgets about $3,800 for personal expenses and transportation. I lump that in with my room/board to give me a working amount of $17,400; then parse that out over 10 months. With those figures that leaves about $745/m (870-125 util) for rent (for you).

If you use the more traditional percentage of 30%, for all of the budget outside of tuition, for rent you'll find you have $550/m.

((Though, depending on how much you need for 'transportation', you may just want to add room&board together with personal expenses and then figure out how much of that money per month you need to survive/be happy. Spend the rest on rent. I like using percentages, though.))

This gives you a range of roughly 550-745/m. The question then becomes, what can your girlfriend afford? My girlfriend is moving with me as well, and if she cannot get a transfer will have to find a job out there. I budgeted for 'worst case' and so assumed she'd make minimum wage and work full-time. I also used the common percentage of 30% for her (though utilities end up being 10%), which means she could afford $360/m.

$910-1105/m becomes your total for rent.

I've been looking in (madison)|(capitol hill)|(cap hill)|(eastlake)|(broadmoor)|(westlake)|(wallingford)|(fremont)
That list is based on the suggestions of a friend who currently attends UW. I do find craigslist the best.. and before now I've never used craigslist for apartments.

deja

Bronze

Post by deja » Wed May 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Hey - congrats on admission everyone! Looking forward to joining you in the fall.

Question about the Seattle housing market: when is the best time to look for housing for the fall? I'm planning a trip at the end of June to look for a place to live starting in August. Do any of you know if this is too early or late to find good options for the fall?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”