University of Houston c/o 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
upfish

Silver

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Post by upfish » Tue May 10, 2011 8:27 pm

Alright, guys, I'm in. So stoked! :D

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:35 pm

brose wrote:^ Wish you would've posted this before I signed up for Calhoun! lol
While a little pricey, the Calhoun Lofts are really nice and well-maintained. I think you'll be happy.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Wed May 11, 2011 10:57 am

jwmalone87 wrote:
While a little pricey, the Calhoun Lofts are really nice and well-maintained. I think you'll be happy.
Yeah, I figure that the peace of mind and proximity to school are worth it. Oh, and not driving ... yes! I just want to figure out the area more before I live in an apartment or house or whatever.

i<3ny

New

Post by i<3ny » Wed May 11, 2011 6:20 pm

brose wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:
Yeah, I figure that the peace of mind and proximity to school are worth it. Oh, and not driving ... yes! I just want to figure out the area more before I live in an apartment or house or whatever.
Did you have to call them to reserve a spot in Calhoun, or did you email? I tried calling but no one is picking up and I don't see an email.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Wed May 11, 2011 6:26 pm

I had to hound them pretty much. I sent in the rental application that's on the Calhoun website and then they responded to me that way - give 'em some money and it'll put a fire under their ass.. lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahawk

New

Post by ahawk » Fri May 13, 2011 1:29 pm

Just got off the wait-list this week!

Do ya'll know if there are any more admitted students weekends or preview days? Just wanna get some more info about curriculum, programs, etc?

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Fri May 13, 2011 1:40 pm

ahawk wrote:Just got off the wait-list this week!

Do ya'll know if there are any more admitted students weekends or preview days? Just wanna get some more info about curriculum, programs, etc?
It's all on their website. I believe the next admitted students weekend is sometime in July.

gonzonater

New

Post by gonzonater » Sat May 14, 2011 10:59 am

Congrats to all the newly accepted!

So im gonna be living in the montrose area, montrose and Allen pkwy to be exact, and I was wondering if I could bike it to school. Anyone have any thoughts on that? It's 6 miles so it's not far, but it's supposedly kinda sketchy around campus? Would it be better to ride the bus?

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Sat May 14, 2011 11:27 am

gonzonater wrote:So im gonna be living in the montrose area, montrose and Allen pkwy to be exact, and I was wondering if I could bike it to school. Anyone have any thoughts on that? It's 6 miles so it's not far, but it's supposedly kinda sketchy around campus? Would it be better to ride the bus?
The surrounding community between UH and the downtown area is the 3rd ward. It's very sketchy. You may not have any problems if you're biking during the daylight, but I personally wouldn't have taken that risk.

Also, consider that you'll be lugging around at least 3 books and a laptop each day, and that will be very heavy. I'm not sure biking will be the best method unless you live extremely close, like across the street. But you could always give it a shot and see if you can manage it.

I'm pretty sure that as a student you have access to a thing called the "Q Card" from Houston Metro. It's a really cheap way to get bus fares. You'll still have to walk about a 1/4 mile from the closest bus stop to the law center.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Sat May 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:
gonzonater wrote:So im gonna be living in the montrose area, montrose and Allen pkwy to be exact, and I was wondering if I could bike it to school. Anyone have any thoughts on that? It's 6 miles so it's not far, but it's supposedly kinda sketchy around campus? Would it be better to ride the bus?
The surrounding community between UH and the downtown area is the 3rd ward. It's very sketchy. You may not have any problems if you're biking during the daylight, but I personally wouldn't have taken that risk.

Also, consider that you'll be lugging around at least 3 books and a laptop each day, and that will be very heavy. I'm not sure biking will be the best method unless you live extremely close, like across the street. But you could always give it a shot and see if you can manage it.

I'm pretty sure that as a student you have access to a thing called the "Q Card" from Houston Metro. It's a really cheap way to get bus fares. You'll still have to walk about a 1/4 mile from the closest bus stop to the law center.
You'll definitely be safe during the day, but I can't speak for the night. I've been at a bar over there pretty late, and I had no problems with anybody, but I a) drove and b) only walked about 1/4 mile to/from my car. I'd definitely feel it out before you ride at night there.

craneje

New

Post by craneje » Mon May 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:

Also, there are likely to be other UHLC students near you who might be interested in carpooling or having you as a rider. There are online sites for signing up for existing carpools and also for forming carpools but it would be nice to have someone going to the law center, so you might want to post something on the accepted student FB page. Good luck.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Mon May 16, 2011 3:58 pm

montrose/allen parkway to UHLC has to be a good 10 miles? houston is just hard w/o a car.

wbt1987

New

Re: University of Houston Class of 2014

Post by wbt1987 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:22 pm

RyShermanJ wrote:Hey I know a lot of y’all are just finding out about school. I am 1L in the part-time program at U of H. I had never lived in Houston before and was worried about finding an affordable apartment in a nice and safe area. My brother had a friend from school that is now a realtor here and was really helpful. If you are anything like me, I didn’t want to go through a realtor since I figure I was going to have to pay additional. But fortunately that was not true, the apartment complex or owner pays the commission. Save yourself some stress; law school is enough on its own. If you have any questions about the area, I may be able to answer them but if you are looking for some place contact Rob.

Texas Sterling Realty
Robert Tyler
Realtor
832-338-1336
rrt1882@yahoo.com
+100000000. Met with Robert this weekend and he found me an awesome 1 bedroom on the edge of River Oaks (10 min straight shot to the campus) for under $700. If you're still looking, seriously consider talking to him.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Mon May 16, 2011 4:30 pm

wbt1987 wrote:
+100000000. Met with Robert this weekend and he found me an awesome 1 bedroom on the edge of River Oaks (10 min straight shot to the campus) for under $700. If you're still looking, seriously consider talking to him.
Neighbors! :D

Which edge?

i<3ny

New

Post by i<3ny » Tue May 17, 2011 11:08 am

wbt1987 wrote:
RyShermanJ wrote:Hey I know a lot of y’all are just finding out about school. I am 1L in the part-time program at U of H. I had never lived in Houston before and was worried about finding an affordable apartment in a nice and safe area. My brother had a friend from school that is now a realtor here and was really helpful. If you are anything like me, I didn’t want to go through a realtor since I figure I was going to have to pay additional. But fortunately that was not true, the apartment complex or owner pays the commission. Save yourself some stress; law school is enough on its own. If you have any questions about the area, I may be able to answer them but if you are looking for some place contact Rob.

Texas Sterling Realty
Robert Tyler
Realtor
832-338-1336
rrt1882@yahoo.com
Are you living with a roomate for 700 or one br?

wbt1987

New

Post by wbt1987 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:40 pm

700 for one bedroom, and it's in the Bayou Park complex on Memorial.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Tue May 17, 2011 2:45 pm

wbt1987 wrote:700 for one bedroom, and it's in the Bayou Park complex on Memorial.
Tooootally wrong about being neighbors then! haha

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vttran9

New

Post by vttran9 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:41 am

Did anyone get their financial aid package yet? I just received mine and I only got 2200 in grants. My efc is 0.....

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Wed May 25, 2011 10:10 am

vttran9 wrote:Did anyone get their financial aid package yet? I just received mine and I only got 2200 in grants. My efc is 0.....
No aid packet here yet, but stoked to hear they are going out!

My EFC is also 0, but if I get a single free dollar, I will be stoked about that as well. I didn't realize this was possible aside from scholarships!

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Wed May 25, 2011 10:14 am

vttran9 wrote:Did anyone get their financial aid package yet? I just received mine and I only got 2200 in grants. My efc is 0.....
Are you in Houston?

vttran9

New

Post by vttran9 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:15 am

brose wrote:
Are you in Houston?
Yep. I got an average 5 grand worth of grants for undergrad. This really sucks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Wed May 25, 2011 11:30 am

vttran9 wrote:
brose wrote:
Are you in Houston?
Yep. I got an average 5 grand worth of grants for undergrad. This really sucks
Yeah, I know I'm getting nothing. Without my family's information, my EFC is somehow 9k... ya right? We'll see...

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Wed May 25, 2011 11:32 am

Out of curiosity, how old is everyone ITT?

I'm 25.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Wed May 25, 2011 11:44 am

24.. 25 in Dec.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed May 25, 2011 11:48 am

does financial aid come through email or the student services site? we just had to fill out a fasfa right

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”