University of Houston c/o 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
brose

Silver

University of Houston c/o 2014

Post by brose » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:03 pm

Anyone joining me? :P
Last edited by brose on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gonzonater

New

Re: University of Houston Class of 2014

Post by gonzonater » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:30 pm

I haven't sent in my seat deposit yet but yeah, I'll be there. I'm looking into the jd/MBA program too. Apparently you can finish them both in 3 years. Bonus!

DongLei

New

Post by DongLei » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:13 pm

Just noticed the "seat deposit" isn't a deposit, its an enrollment fee, ie they don't apply it towards tuition. I really haven't paid much attention to how many schools charge fees over deposits, but it irks me that schools find even more ways to nickel and dime students. Regardless, unless something major changes in the next two weeks, I will be sending in mine soon.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:17 pm

DongLei wrote:Just noticed the "seat deposit" isn't a deposit, its an enrollment fee, ie they don't apply it towards tuition. I really haven't paid much attention to how many schools charge fees over deposits, but it irks me that schools find even more ways to nickel and dime students. Regardless, unless something major changes in the next two weeks, I will be sending in mine soon.
Yup. It's like a reservation for your spot and doesn't apply... lame. At least their tuition is locked all three years (that's what someone told me at the law center recently)

DongLei

New

Post by DongLei » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:27 pm

brose wrote:
Yup. It's like a reservation for your spot and doesn't apply... lame. At least their tuition is locked all three years (that's what someone told me at the law center recently)
I don't know who told you that but it's completely false. Last year tuition increased for all law students, albeit 2L and 3L's had smaller increases than 1L's. 1L tuition increased by 26% while 2L and 3L tuition increased by about 12% or so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:48 pm

DongLei wrote:
brose wrote:
I don't know who told you that but it's completely false. Last year tuition increased for all law students, albeit 2L and 3L's had smaller increases than 1L's. 1L tuition increased by 26% while 2L and 3L tuition increased by about 12% or so.
Ummm the assistant dean of admission told me that.

She said there are no plans for tuition increases and that the tuition will stay the same as the year we matriculate. If that's not the case, then I knew it sounded too good to be true.

DongLei

New

Post by DongLei » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:12 pm

Yes, she is wrong, tuition IS expected to increase for fall 2011. Read the admissions brochure, and when it is talking about tuition, it mentions in a footnote that these are estimates and tuition is expected to increase for 2011-2012.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:16 pm

DongLei wrote:Yes, she is wrong, tuition IS expected to increase for fall 2011. Read the admissions brochure, and when it is talking about tuition, it mentions in a footnote that these are estimates and tuition is expected to increase for 2011-2012.
Lol well this makes me very confident that everyone there is on the same page....

If you look at their website, the prices for 1L and then returning years are different. I wonder what determines this? I tried asking but the lady said that each year it changes, sooo... that didn't help.

apbaby

New

Post by apbaby » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:05 pm

sending in my seat deposit in a couple of days. so excited!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheSkipper

New

Post by TheSkipper » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:41 pm

Anyone going to be at greenberg traurig tonight?

gonzonater

New

Post by gonzonater » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:42 pm

TheSkipper wrote:Anyone going to be at greenberg traurig tonight?

How'd it go there/what was the point of going?

gonzonater

New

Post by gonzonater » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:26 pm

Sent in my deposit...I'm officially going to be at UHLC. Odd that when I graduated from the woodlands high school that I promised myself I'd never move back to Houston....my fate was probably sealed that day lol! Anyway, I'll be in Houston in June and I like sports. If y'all are interested in such things let me know!

Keep this thread alive!!!

lancer

New

Post by lancer » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:00 pm

gonzonater wrote:Sent in my deposit...I'm officially going to be at UHLC. Odd that when I graduated from the woodlands high school that I promised myself I'd never move back to Houston....my fate was probably sealed that day lol! Anyway, I'll be in Houston in June and I like sports. If y'all are interested in such things let me know!

Keep this thread alive!!!
For sure on the sports idea. I'm already here doing the MBA so I already have 1 season of sports and tailgating under my belt in Houston. We should get law students together for the football games in the fall.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

libdemjenn

New

Post by libdemjenn » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:14 pm

I just mailed in my enrollment fee, so I wanted to post in this thread. Woo.

SamarraJoe

New

Post by SamarraJoe » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Enrollment fee sent - now to get down into the area to find an apartment. Anyone else looking in the Pearland area?

gonzonater

New

Post by gonzonater » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:06 pm

SamarraJoe wrote:Enrollment fee sent - now to get down into the area to find an apartment. Anyone else looking in the Pearland area?

I'm gonna be in montrose cuz I couldn't quite afford midtown. I'm thinking I'm gonna go carless but I'm wondering if the bus will be too difficult/time consuming. I looked at the map and it's 6 miles so it's an easy bike ride, but from what I hear things get gangster real quick so I dunno what to dooo haha. Luckily I have a couple of months living in the area to figure it out. Suggestions would be appreciated!

RyShermanJ

New

Post by RyShermanJ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:40 pm

Hey I know a lot of y’all are just finding out about school. I am 1L in the part-time program at U of H. I had never lived in Houston before and was worried about finding an affordable apartment in a nice and safe area. My brother had a friend from school that is now a realtor here and was really helpful. If you are anything like me, I didn’t want to go through a realtor since I figure I was going to have to pay additional. But fortunately that was not true, the apartment complex or owner pays the commission. Save yourself some stress; law school is enough on its own. If you have any questions about the area, I may be able to answer them but if you are looking for some place contact Rob.

Texas Sterling Realty
Robert Tyler
Realtor
832-338-1336
rrt1882@yahoo.com

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Post by TJISMYHERO » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:24 pm

As of today, there is a 100% chance that I'll be at UH FT next semester! My cycle is finally over and I'm looking forward to moving to Houston.

bgreen89

New

Post by bgreen89 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:52 pm

Enrollment fee received 4/28 for the PT program this coming Fall. Is anyone else PT here?

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:21 pm

3L at UH here. If anyone has any questions, feel free to shoot me a message.

Someone already sent me a question, figured I'd post the answer here for the benefit of everyone.
Do they have a mentor program there for the 1L's? What are the best ways to get outlines?
They have a mentor program through the main student organization. 1L's are put in groups around 10-15, and paired with two mentors. The value of the mentor really varies, and if you want them to be helpful, you'll have to email them, or at least be proactive in getting info out of them. You'll probably find better mentors by picking a student organization and getting to know the 2L and 3L leaders.

Best way to get outlines is http://www.cartersahadi.com. It's a site founded by 2 UH law center alumni. Students submit their outlines, and they host them. There's also professor reviews and random tips for law school. Once you get to UH, the best way will be simply talking to 2L's or asking for their outlines. People can be protective, so it helps to make friends with other students. If you make law review, they have their own database of outlines, and they are definitely the best quality. But you need to be in the top 10%-30% to make law review. I'd also recommend making your own outlines, and using other people's as simply a reference. At least the first semester or first year.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Mon May 02, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks Josh!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

libdemjenn

New

Post by libdemjenn » Tue May 03, 2011 4:02 pm

bgreen89 wrote:Enrollment fee received 4/28 for the PT program this coming Fall. Is anyone else PT here?
I'm also PT. I dropped off my check April 29th.

gonzonater

New

Post by gonzonater » Tue May 03, 2011 11:15 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:3L at UH here. If anyone has any questions, feel free to shoot me a message.

Someone already sent me a question, figured I'd post the answer here for the benefit of everyone.
Do they have a mentor program there for the 1L's? What are the best ways to get outlines?
They have a mentor program through the main student organization. 1L's are put in groups around 10-15, and paired with two mentors. The value of the mentor really varies, and if you want them to be helpful, you'll have to email them, or at least be proactive in getting info out of them. You'll probably find better mentors by picking a student organization and getting to know the 2L and 3L leaders.

Best way to get outlines is http://www.cartersahadi.com. It's a site founded by 2 UH law center alumni. Students submit their outlines, and they host them. There's also professor reviews and random tips for law school. Once you get to UH, the best way will be simply talking to 2L's or asking for their outlines. People can be protective, so it helps to make friends with other students. If you make law review, they have their own database of outlines, and they are definitely the best quality. But you need to be in the top 10%-30% to make law review. I'd also recommend making your own outlines, and using other people's as simply a reference. At least the first semester or first year.
Thanks for the site, I went through and looked at some stuff and it looks like it's really helpful. Except I took a look at some of those outlines and needless to say I'm shocked at how extensive they are. Better dust off my study habits!

aham2005

New

Post by aham2005 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:15 pm

RENT $600
I have a room for a Town home that will be available on August 1st, 2011. The Town home is 10 minutes from The University of Houston Law Center. It is located on 610 & Stella Link. The Town Home has 2bedrooms/2 bath. It has a kitchen, dinning room,washer and dryer a garage and a small backyard. The town home is in a gated area full of other town homes. The landlord for the Town home will be responsible for maintenance. It is just like living in a apartment. I have a roommate who goes to the University of Houston Law Center and he has the Master bedroom. I will be going to LSU Law School so who ever wants to start the 12 month lease in August should send a message.

Go to this link to view the photo
http://www.homes.com/listing/133528765/ ... N_TX_77025

http://www.homes.com/listing/138117207/ ... N_TX_77025

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Mon May 09, 2011 2:20 pm

^ Wish you would've posted this before I signed up for Calhoun! lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”