University of Houston c/o 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
brose

Silver

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Post by brose » Wed May 25, 2011 11:54 am

I also forgot to ask, to the person who got the financial aid packet: What is the tuition?!?!

vttran9

New

Post by vttran9 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:58 am

bartleby wrote:does financial aid come through email or the student services site? we just had to fill out a fasfa right
25 here

They'll send you an email telling you that your financial aid package is in, and you can see the details in your peoplesoft.

vttran9

New

Post by vttran9 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:58 am

brose wrote:I also forgot to ask, to the person who got the financial aid packet: What is the tuition?!?!
No clue. It gives an estimate but not a real amount.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Wed May 25, 2011 12:06 pm

vttran9 wrote:
brose wrote:I also forgot to ask, to the person who got the financial aid packet: What is the tuition?!?!
Is the estimate the ridiculous 22k/yr?

vttran9

New

Post by vttran9 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:10 pm

brose wrote:
vttran9 wrote:
Is the estimate the ridiculous 22k/yr?
Yep. Theres a list of this year's tuition for grad students. UHLC is 866 per credit hour. Hope its not real because it was only 500 something last year. I am not liking Texas right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed May 25, 2011 12:20 pm

there's no way tuition can go up to like....$35,000 a year, right?

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Wed May 25, 2011 12:21 pm

bartleby wrote:there's no way tuition can go up to like....$35,000 a year, right?
Of course there is... it would make them on par with other schools. Not this year, I would think, but by the time we graduate I could see it being that high.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Wed May 25, 2011 1:51 pm

According to their website, it says 866 per credit hour. :cry:

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed May 25, 2011 2:15 pm

yeah, i was talking about this year. i just can't imagine them raising tuition by 25% one year and then 33% on that amount this year. it's just too crazy. but the diff between 866 and 5xx multiplied by 30 is 10k-ish.

i wish they'd make the hard tuition figures available before we had to commit. deciding between this and SMU is too hard for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Wed May 25, 2011 2:25 pm

bartleby wrote:yeah, i was talking about this year. i just can't imagine them raising tuition by 25% one year and then 33% on that amount this year. it's just too crazy. but the diff between 866 and 5xx multiplied by 30 is 10k-ish.

i wish they'd make the hard tuition figures available before we had to commit. deciding between this and SMU is too hard for me.
If the tuition at SMU is relatively close (I'm assuming you have scholly there to be considering it) - then go to SMU.
Tuition is gonna rise that fast b/c of the budget crisis - their tuition has been comparatively too low in the past, in my opinion.

craneje

New

Post by craneje » Wed May 25, 2011 2:42 pm

vttran9 wrote:
bartleby wrote:does financial aid come through email or the student services site? we just had to fill out a fasfa right
25 here

They'll send you an email telling you that your financial aid package is in, and you can see the details in your peoplesoft.

I haven't received an email, but I just checked my financial aid status on peoplesoft and my award is there. So, if you are expecting an award you might want to check your peoplesoft account. :)

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Wed May 25, 2011 2:53 pm

I'm scared because I was awarded a scholarship but it's not in my peoplesoft. Just loans.... ugh.

craneje

New

Post by craneje » Wed May 25, 2011 3:25 pm

brose wrote:I'm scared because I was awarded a scholarship but it's not in my peoplesoft. Just loans.... ugh.

You might have already done so, but you should contact Laura Neal in financial aid. I had a few questions for her earlier in the process and she was fast to respond and she had very specific, helpful advice. She is the person who would know best if there is a problem or if scholarships just post somewhere else or at another time. I didn't receive any scholarships so I can't help you--I had only loans :| in my peoplesoft and unfortunately that was all I expected. Best of luck to you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Wed May 25, 2011 3:34 pm

craneje wrote:
brose wrote:I'm scared because I was awarded a scholarship but it's not in my peoplesoft. Just loans.... ugh.

You might have already done so, but you should contact Laura Neal in financial aid. I had a few questions for her earlier in the process and she was fast to respond and she had very specific, helpful advice. She is the person who would know best if there is a problem or if scholarships just post somewhere else or at another time. I didn't receive any scholarships so I can't help you--I had only loans :| in my peoplesoft and unfortunately that was all I expected. Best of luck to you.
I've had quite the opposite experience. I'll try and contact her again when I get a paper copy... :(

TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Post by TJISMYHERO » Wed May 25, 2011 4:51 pm

866 * 30 = 25980

Assuming 2k in fees, we're looking at about 28k for tuition next year if the estimates become reality, which is about a 5% increase. Am I missing something?

23 here.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Wed May 25, 2011 5:13 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:866 * 30 = 25980

Assuming 2k in fees, we're looking at about 28k for tuition next year if the estimates become reality, which is about a 5% increase. Am I missing something?

23 here.
Last year the fees were 4k. So I'd expect the same or more.

TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Post by TJISMYHERO » Wed May 25, 2011 5:35 pm

Ah, well 30k it is then. Damn.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed May 25, 2011 7:03 pm

yeah I'm thinking SMU because it actually would be cheaper over 3 years. But my UH scholarship is enormously front loaded and my gf is here / I don't want to worry about change or nuthin'

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Fri May 27, 2011 11:24 am

So for anyone that has their financial aid award:

When you accessed it through the portal to accept/decline, did you see any GradPLUS loans? Mine just lists stafford loans, which are going to fall about $10-15k short of tuition + books, much less COL.

Do I have to request GradPLUS or have I been denied? :cry:

I'll call the office too obviously, but I wondered if this was happening to anybody else?

TheSkipper

New

Post by TheSkipper » Fri May 27, 2011 11:53 am

upfish wrote:So for anyone that has their financial aid award:

When you accessed it through the portal to accept/decline, did you see any GradPLUS loans? Mine just lists stafford loans, which are going to fall about $10-15k short of tuition + books, much less COL.

Do I have to request GradPLUS or have I been denied? :cry:

I'll call the office too obviously, but I wondered if this was happening to anybody else?

+1

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Fri May 27, 2011 12:40 pm

GradPlus loans are a separate process. My scholarship wasn't listed... sigh.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Fri May 27, 2011 12:52 pm

brose wrote:GradPlus loans are a separate process. My scholarship wasn't listed... sigh.
Well, at least the GradPlus thing is squared away.

Sucks that your scholly wasn't listed. =/

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Fri May 27, 2011 1:27 pm

It's OK, par for the course in my experience.

I've had nothing but things go wrong since I've decided to go here, and it's kind of freaking me out.

I couldn't even get anyone in the fin aid office to explain the difference in prices between 1L and 2L/3L's. I asked them if it's a set price, or is there a certain amount it rises per year? Why does everyone pay different prices? No answers.

It's really disheartening, but I already committed so ... :?

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Fri May 27, 2011 1:48 pm

My understanding of the disparity in prices between 1L's and 2/3L's is that the 1L's keep pouring in. No matter what tuition UH sets, they're going to get a packed house. Last year they proposed raising tuition significantly, and the current students were pissed off. So administration basically said, well let's just raise 1L prices by a lot, and 2/3L prices by a little. And Voila. At least that seemed to be the rationale from my perspective. There really isn't any other justification that I can see.

Please keep in mind that you can always decide not to go to law school, even once you've started. It's a huge cost and for many people they won't be able to pay off the debt for a very long time. If you realize at some point that it's not worth the cost/effort, don't feel bad about taking a step back and evaluating other options.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Fri May 27, 2011 1:54 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:My understanding of the disparity in prices between 1L's and 2/3L's is that the 1L's keep pouring in. No matter what tuition UH sets, they're going to get a packed house. Last year they proposed raising tuition significantly, and the current students were pissed off. So administration basically said, well let's just raise 1L prices by a lot, and 2/3L prices by a little. And Voila. At least that seemed to be the rationale from my perspective. There really isn't any other justification that I can see.

Please keep in mind that you can always decide not to go to law school, even once you've started. It's a huge cost and for many people they won't be able to pay off the debt for a very long time. If you realize at some point that it's not worth the cost/effort, don't feel bad about taking a step back and evaluating other options.
I totally am fine with the cost/effort, I just don't get any answers from administration on anything, which is what is making me uneasy.

I was promised a scholarship and had to bug them (after they told me no - I didn't have one) and then I finally got it weeks later. Now, it's not showing up on my financial aid. Today I try calling and it says my call is disconnected because they're experiencing too many calls.... like, really? Can anything go right? lol

Also, the administration told me it was a fixed price tuition - what we pay when we come in is what we pay all three years - and that's obviously not true... lol. So frustrating.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”