Chicago-Kent Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
chicarda

New

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2014

Post by chicarda » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:17 pm

pauwelsd wrote:
danget bobby wrote:
pauwelsd wrote:I moved from Ohio in October and am living in lakeview now so I can help answer questions about living in this part of town. I'll just say up front that it's the best place I've ever lived.
Can you elaborate on this please? What is your rent? House or apartment? All I hear is how easy the transit is, is this true? How long does it take to get into the loop? What made you choose lakeview? Anything else you want to add would be much apprecieted.

Oh and congrats on the $$!
first off - thanks! i was excited since Kent was my first choice from the beginning.

secondly about the apartment. My first piece of advice is to take your time when looking for an apartment. the first one I moved into has been a nightmare that I'm just now escaping. I moved into Wrigleyville originally which is the area just north of lakeview surrounding Wrigley Field. both areas are great, but lakeview is really alive. this weekend when it first got warm the streets were full of people out shopping, dining, and just enjoying the weather. in the first apartment, I'm paying 1080/month for a small 1br apartment with a roommate (so i'm only paying 540). I could have done much better. the second apartment is a 2br with double the square footage and better amenities for 1500/month (750 is my share). i know my boss has a nice studio for about 800 in the same area where I'm moving. not awful.

as for transit - i couldn't ask for anything better. i'm about 2 minutes from the nearest bus stop which takes me down a road which has my work, the nearest grocery store (jewel-osco), a target, and any number of bars, restaurants, and shops. i'm 7 minutes from the red-line which goes from evanston through downtown as far south as 95th street. i would recommend living near the brown line, though, which shares the same tracks as the redline up to belmont, since the brown line is the quickest and closest train to Kent.

as for finding an apartment i know a number of people which have used craigslist which is fine if you are in town for a while and can schedule times to visit apartments. if you can't, you can contact any number of apartment rental places (I suggest apartmentsavvy.com, who helped me find my new place) who can help you (for free) to find a place for you based on what you want.

i feel like that's a lot for now - i'll be happy to help with whatever else you have questions about.

Thanks for your input fellow Miamian.

Roughly how much do you spend on food per month?

pauwelsd

New

Post by pauwelsd » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:10 pm

according to Mint.com i've spent about 150/month on groceries (i have a dog) and about $150/month on eating out which includes valentines day dinner and way too many lunches out. i could get by on about the same amount for groceries and probably a third to a half on eating out.

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Score! Summer law internship in Chicago!

FrankieFlye

New

Post by FrankieFlye » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:53 am

chicarda wrote:Score! Summer law internship in Chicago!
Nice, congrats! Any tips on where to start looking?

I just sent in my declines to other schools and have decided to join Kent's 2011 class. Sent in and got back my financial aid info, now to start looking for apartments in the city and a internship!

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:10 am

FrankieFlye wrote:

I just sent in my declines to other schools and have decided to join Kent's 2011 class. Sent in and got back my financial aid info, now to start looking for apartments in the city and a internship!
Cook County State Attorneys Office's deadline is April 15th! So get a move on! Anita Alvarez is a Kent Alum too, so possible foot in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FrankieFlye

New

Post by FrankieFlye » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:55 am

chicarda wrote:
FrankieFlye wrote:

Cook County State Attorneys Office's deadline is April 15th! So get a move on! Anita Alvarez is a Kent Alum too, so possible foot in.
thanks for the info man, will see if I can shoot that out today...

I e-mailed Dean Krent looking to get a little more money last minute out of this merit based scholly.....we'll see what happens!

FrankieFlye

New

Post by FrankieFlye » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Wow. E-Mailed Dean Krent this morning about negotiating a scholly increase and he replied by lunch with a scholarship increase....sweeeeeeeeeeet. Looks like it's Kent for sure kids. Time to look into apartments next week!

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:35 pm

FrankieFlye wrote:Wow. E-Mailed Dean Krent this morning about negotiating a scholly increase and he replied by lunch with a scholarship increase....sweeeeeeeeeeet. Looks like it's Kent for sure kids. Time to look into apartments next week!
Congrats man!

rdavi012

New

Post by rdavi012 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:49 pm

just sent in my deposit!!looks like it gonna b kent 4 sure:D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

a11 1n

Bronze

Post by a11 1n » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:01 pm

Last edited by a11 1n on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pauwelsd

New

Post by pauwelsd » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:06 pm

a11 1n wrote:I'm really happy to hear my fellow TLS'ers were successful in negotiating scholarship money out of Kent. I sent an email to Karla Davis and she said she forwarded my information to the admissions committee. It took a week and she replied to me with a no.

I sent in my seat deposit to Kent but am still working with another school on upping my scholarship money and could switch over if they can match what Kent is already offering me. Kent is still my top choice however. Do you think it would be wise to send an email to Dean Krent seeing if he could do anything or would that be pointless, especially since he already has my seat deposit? Could use some input.

I feel like Dean Krent would be the one to talk to about this. I'm not sure how you wrote your first email but I made it clear how much I wanted to go to Kent, how important $$ was for me and that it was my absolute top choice. It certainly can't hurt anything.

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:59 pm

a11 1n wrote:I'm really happy to hear my fellow TLS'ers were successful in negotiating scholarship money out of Kent. I sent an email to Karla Davis and she said she forwarded my information to the admissions committee. It took a week and she replied to me with a no.

I sent in my seat deposit to Kent but am still working with another school on upping my scholarship money and could switch over if they can match what Kent is already offering me. Kent is still my top choice however. Do you think it would be wise to send an email to Dean Krent seeing if he could do anything or would that be pointless, especially since he already has my seat deposit? Could use some input.

I sent an email to both Dean Krent and Karla. Krent ignored my email, and Karla came back with a "soft" no(?) pending the next few weeks where it might change to a yes?

rdavi012

New

Post by rdavi012 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:42 pm

is anyone on here going to the Deans day on the 30th? i wasnt able to go to asw so i will be there on the 30th...hopefully i like it since i already sent in my seat deposit....while i am there i also want to look for some apartments. where have u guys had luck with so far?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

a11 1n

Bronze

Post by a11 1n » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:56 am

Last edited by a11 1n on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danget bobby

New

Post by danget bobby » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:38 pm

Definatley not going again on the 30th, I can't handle eating another $15 lunch at Al's after the Panera boxed lunch they gave. I do need to get down there one of these days to look at housing.

tennissanta

New

Post by tennissanta » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:35 am

danget bobby wrote:Definatley not going again on the 30th, I can't handle eating another $15 lunch at Al's after the Panera boxed lunch they gave. I do need to get down there one of these days to look at housing.

Ha! I saw that Al's was right across the street and almost died. This is going to be a great 3 years! I'm going to the Dean's Program on April 30...

gator6589

New

Post by gator6589 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:06 pm

chicarda wrote:

I sent an email to both Dean Krent and Karla. Krent ignored my email, and Karla came back with a "soft" no(?) pending the next few weeks where it might change to a yes?
Same here they said it would be noted in my file I'd like additional aid, did you receive the same message? They only have the first part of my deposit so I hope they may feel the need to increase my aid. Also what are the scholarship increases everyones is getting? I feel as if 20k a year is their limit for this not above 75% lsat

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:32 pm

gator6589 wrote:
chicarda wrote:

Same here they said it would be noted in my file I'd like additional aid, did you receive the same message? They only have the first part of my deposit so I hope they may feel the need to increase my aid. Also what are the scholarship increases everyones is getting? I feel as if 20k a year is their limit for this not above 75% lsat

That's basically what she said to me. And this...

"I hope this information is helpful and I'm sorry that I don't have better news for you at this time. I know that finances are a major concern, but I also believe that Chicago-Kent provides an outstanding legal education."

...So I guess we can expect 100% employment rate at graduation in 2014 lol

LaProfe14

New

Post by LaProfe14 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:57 pm

when are you guys planning on arriving in Chicago (if you don't already live there)?

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:50 pm

LaProfe14 wrote:when are you guys planning on arriving in Chicago (if you don't already live there)?

I move into Presidential Towers May 19th and start my law internship basically the next day.

corvettekid

New

Post by corvettekid » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:14 am

LaProfe14 wrote:when are you guys planning on arriving in Chicago (if you don't already live there)?
Probably not until the start of August, trying to get through as many pay periods as I can before I become a jobless student again.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:19 pm

Chicago-Kent students (and others I'm assuming) get huge discounts on Zip-Car rentals. $25 per year ($60) and no application fee ($25).

FrankieFlye

New

Post by FrankieFlye » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:59 am

corvettekid wrote:
Probably not until the start of August, trying to get through as many pay periods as I can before I become a jobless student again.

Ain't that the truth! Tryin to finish out May/June/July with some positive 9-5 income, especially since any tuition/loan refund disbursements don't come til' 2nd week of school (per financial aid office).

Would like to know how Presidential is....thinking about moving in there.

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:13 am

FrankieFlye wrote:
corvettekid wrote:

Ain't that the truth! Tryin to finish out May/June/July with some positive 9-5 income, especially since any tuition/loan refund disbursements don't come til' 2nd week of school (per financial aid office).

Would like to know how Presidential is....thinking about moving in there.

I've toured it three times and I really liked it. Although I didn't have very many choices given my dog preferences. If you go in there ask for Edwin, he is far and away the most hospitable and friendly. Rent can be crazy expensive though and utilities will run around $160-200 a month for everything. They are also about to finish a massive remodeling and it looks great thus far.

FrankieFlye

New

Post by FrankieFlye » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:14 pm

chicarda wrote:

I've toured it three times and I really liked it. Although I didn't have very many choices given my dog preferences. If you go in there ask for Edwin, he is far and away the most hospitable and friendly. Rent can be crazy expensive though and utilities will run around $160-200 a month for everything. They are also about to finish a massive remodeling and it looks great thus far.

I've heard mixed reviews...thinking about visiting next week, I figure it's the cheapest option and closest to the school. I was debating between it and living in the north Chicago neighborhoods (Lakeview, Streeterville, etc) but I think I'll stay closer to school to stay outta trouble. Can always catch the L out if I wanna go out. I used to live in the southside for undergrad (im a local Chicagoan) but want to live in a nicer loop building now and closer to campus.

I'd really hate to purchase furniture too...any idea about any relatively budget furnished apartment buildings?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”