Florida State Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Bill Cosby

Bronze

Re: Florida State Class of 2014

Post by Bill Cosby » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:24 am

Cool Brees wrote:
minuit wrote:If only Tallahassee was situated about 45 minutes closer to a good beach, I would say this city is pretty perfect, for me at least :)

Also, Tallahassee was recently voted the #2 running city in the south, losing out to only DC!

Beach - Yes, please!

Running - I have noticed that Tallahassee has a 5k just about every weekend. Gulf Winds Track Club is doing an event every Thursday of June at the Maclay School track, and it is open to anyone. Also, I see people running all the time. Anyone else run? I started getting back into in January. I mainly do it for exercise; so, I'm not that competitive with it. Some of the guys at the events can put up some impressive times in my opinion.
I've been out of the habit lately, and it's more like a fast walk in my case, but I'm hoping to get back in to it.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:01 pm

EricBerry wrote:Thanks for the info, bless. I'll probably end up doing the Leach later in the evening. Last question: any idea when the Leach is open to incoming students? Late August when school starts?
Yes. The Leach is open the moment the semester kicks in. Unfortunately, that means we'll be out of commission for a week, while we attend orientation and wait for classes to start. :?

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:25 pm

leefair123 wrote:I run a lot. Just wondering where is it safe to run any three to five mile routes people know of?
Hmm... there are lots of places you probably could run that would be safe. As far as designated routes, I'm not sure. I run with a small group that meets at St Pauls Church at Lake Ella, and we usually run some combination of the surrounding neighborhoods such as around Lake Ella itself, up N. Meridian Rd, up Thomasville Rd. to McCord Park, and back.

Also, I'm not sure how well known this is, but you can also run inside Doak Campbell Stadium. You can't run on the field (at least you aren't suppose to), but you can run up the ramps that surround the stadium, up the bleachers, or do laps inside the stadium in the shade. Jumping the Marching Chiefs (where the band sits) is a heck of a workout. I often see people running on campus, and some people just run around the outside of the stadium. The stadium / medical side of campus seems more apt for running.

I really liked the Springtime Tallahassee 5k/ 10k route. The area around Myers Park seems like a nice place to run.

http://www.dailymile.com/routes/105102- ... ahassee-fl

That dailymile account is not mine, but looking at that user's profile, that individual has a number of interesting routes:

http://www.dailymile.com/people/davidcsonka/routes

leefair123

Bronze

Post by leefair123 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:12 pm

Thanks!! What group do u run with?

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:24 pm

here's the link to the article:

http://www.running.net/read_feature/top ... owns-south

I just run in my neighborhood! But Tally has lots of parks with trails, hilly and flat roads, open tracks, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

leefair123

Bronze

Post by leefair123 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:33 pm

Thanks again!!

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:55 am

leefair123 wrote:Thanks!! What group do u run with?
It is a handful of people that go to church there, but I'm sure it is open to anyone. PM me if you want more details. If you really want to meet some runners or run with a large group, Gulf Winds Track Club always has something going on, and it has a lot of members. Membership costs about $20 per year.

http://www.gulfwinds.org/

CharethCutestory

New

Post by CharethCutestory » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Hey folks, I'll be at FSU this fall, as well. Quick question - have any of you been contacted with payment dates and information about activating email addresses, yet? I haven't, and I'm getting a bit worried. It's not as though I'm not registered as attending (deposit paid, etc.). I just think that my having moved recently may have thrown a kink in the works with their correspondences with me.

Godspeed finding housing.

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:05 am

CharethCutestory wrote:Hey folks, I'll be at FSU this fall, as well. Quick question - have any of you been contacted with payment dates and information about activating email addresses, yet? I haven't, and I'm getting a bit worried. It's not as though I'm not registered as attending (deposit paid, etc.). I just think that my having moved recently may have thrown a kink in the works with their correspondences with me.

Godspeed finding housing.
I haven't received anything via snail mail. The only thing I have received is a couple of e-mails without any substantive information. One e-mail gave a recommended reading list and reminded you to complete the Admit Checklist which includes ADDRESS CHANGE FORM (if you haven't done so), 2 transcripts, health history, health insurance, and residency form. The other was a reminder about the mandatory orientation and the optional orientation. EDIT: Just got another one with a Health Compliance Checklist.

I don't think anything else has really been set yet, besides orientation dates. If you are looking for when your tuition and fees are due, you should be able to find that online. It looks like it is September 9th. http://registrar.fsu.edu/dir_class/fall/acad_cal.htm

This was a timeline for last year, to give you an idea of what to expect:

http://www.law.fsu.edu/admitted_student ... _tips.html
First-Year Tips

June 7: Director of Admissions Jennifer Kessinger welcomes you to the class of 2013.

June 11: Orientation information from Associate Dean of Student Affairs Nancy Benavides.

June 18: Health Compliance Checklist: Health forms and proof of insurance are due by July 16.

June 25: Tips and information from the Information Technology Department.

July 2: Consent to Release and Employment Duty to Disclose forms — due by July 16.

July 2: Register for Orientation — due by July 30.

July 9: 10 Tips for Getting Your Financial House in Order AND Deadline Reminders

July 16: Tips from current 2Ls, 3Ls and recent alumni on how to prepare and how to succeed in law school.

July 23: Tips on Bar-Related Matters from the Office of Student Affairs

July 30: Tips and information on several important departments at the College of Law.

August 6: Newsletters with important information for first-year students as well as transferring and visiting students.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CharethCutestory

New

Post by CharethCutestory » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:13 am

Gracias.

dukivich10

Bronze

Post by dukivich10 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:14 pm

My wife and I took a weekend trip to Tallahassee to find somewhere to live. I was very impressed with the city itself. Not sure how the Gainesville/Tally debate even exists. Anyways, looks like we will end up in the Southwood. We will be moving in about mid-July. I just wanted to give a shout out to Cool Brees for the housing guide. I def used it in my apartment search.

On another note, any guys out there play golf/fish???

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:26 pm

I'm filling out the health history form and it requires my FSU number. Does anybody know how/where to find this?

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:40 pm

dukivich10 wrote:My wife and I took a weekend trip to Tallahassee to find somewhere to live. I was very impressed with the city itself. Not sure how the Gainesville/Tally debate even exists. Anyways, looks like we will end up in the Southwood. We will be moving in about mid-July. I just wanted to give a shout out to Cool Brees for the housing guide. I def used it in my apartment search.

congrats on finding a place! southwood is very nice :)
Mattfl88 wrote:I'm filling out the health history form and it requires my FSU number. Does anybody know how/where to find this?
yes. it's in blackboard under "secure apps" then "FSU identity management" then under "quick links" on the left hand column there's a sub-link called "see your FSUSN"

hope that helps!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:48 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:I'm filling out the health history form and it requires my FSU number. Does anybody know how/where to find this?

Log into Blackboard > Go to the "Secure Apps" tab > Click "FSUID Identity Management" > On the left click "Account Information" > Next to FSUSN click "See your FSUSN" > Verify your info > Your FSUSN will display

Edit: Or just do what minuit said. :lol:

If for some reason that will not work for you, I'm sure they will take your social security number, but I would call to check.
dukivich10 wrote:I just wanted to give a shout out to Cool Brees for the housing guide. I def used it in my apartment search.

I'm glad it was helpful. Yes, I like to fish. Really, wish I would have gone more since I have been here. I'd like to get into golf, but I just haven't yet. I grew up playing other sports and didn't have time for golf. Not to mention a golf swing and a baseball swing are very different.

dukivich10

Bronze

Post by dukivich10 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:58 pm

Cool Brees wrote:

Log into Blackboard > Go to the "Secure Apps" tab > Click "FSUID Identity Management" > On the left click "Account Information" > Next to FSUSN click "See your FSUSN" > Verify your info > Your FSUSN will display

Edit: Or just do what minuit said. :lol:

If for some reason that will not work for you, I'm sure they will take your social security number, but I would call to check.
dukivich10 wrote:I just wanted to give a shout out to Cool Brees for the housing guide. I def used it in my apartment search.

I'm glad it was helpful. Yes, I like to fish. Really, wish I would have gone more since I have been here. I'd like to get into golf, but I just haven't yet. I grew up playing other sports and didn't have time for golf. Not to mention a golf swing and a baseball swing are very different.
Speaking of other sports, do you know how involved law students are in intramurals?? I would love to get out and play a little football to blow off some stress!

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:01 pm

I'm sure it mostly depends on how involved each class wants to be. If we have enough people that want to participate, I'm sure it would be a lot of fun.
Last edited by Cool Brees on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:34 pm

I'm down for anything but baseball/softball (I have an irrational fear of getting hit by one) :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SelormKK

New

Post by SelormKK » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Just got into Tally about an hour ago, apartment viewings tomorrow. Hopefully get to move in before Friday, knock on wood.
minuit wrote:I'm down for anything but baseball/softball (I have an irrational fear of getting hit by one) :lol:
Yea same here, I'd be down for anything. I tried volleyball last year with some friends and it was awesome, so I'm keeping an open mind on intramurals.

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:09 pm

Does anyone know what kind of laptop FSU recommends? I've got an old Mac but I used it throughout undergrad and it is time for a replacement. I don't know whether to continue with Apple or jump over to a PC laptop? I've really got no preference either way.

leefair123

Bronze

Post by leefair123 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:27 pm

Just want to say I want that "Gym Tan Law" frat tank like yesterday... where can we get those?!

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:38 am

Mattfl88 wrote:Does anyone know what kind of laptop FSU recommends? I've got an old Mac but I used it throughout undergrad and it is time for a replacement. I don't know whether to continue with Apple or jump over to a PC laptop? I've really got no preference either way.
This is what they have on the website.

http://www.law.fsu.edu/admitted_students/laptop.html

Sounds like you should just pick whichever you feel more conformable with.

I think we'll be using Exam4 for tests, which is compatible with both Mac OS and Windows.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:44 am

Has everyone submitted their loan forms yet? If so, did you total loan amount come out to less than the cost of attendance?

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:58 am

Also, if you look at the online status checker from applying, are the boxes other than decision statement received and seat deposit paid unchecked? I mailed some of this stuff a while ago and still don't see it as having been received.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:31 am

Bill Cosby wrote:Also, if you look at the online status checker from applying, are the boxes other than decision statement received and seat deposit paid unchecked? I mailed some of this stuff a while ago and still don't see it as having been received.
All of my boxes are checked and updated, except for the consent to release and duty to disclose forms, which I'll be sending in this week. You may want to call and see what's going on!

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:54 am

All of the boxes are checked for stuff that I sent in a while ago. I feel like it takes them a while to get something in the mail, process it, and have it reflected in the status checker.

I'm pretty certain I got the exact loan amount that equals their CoA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”