Florida State Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Bill Cosby

Bronze

Florida State Class of 2014

Post by Bill Cosby » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:12 pm

Last edited by Bill Cosby on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mattfl88

Bronze

Re: Florida State Class of 2014

Post by Mattfl88 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:09 pm

Checking in. I've paid my deposit and sent in my forms. Can't wait to spend the next three years in Tallahassee!

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:07 pm

As of now, I am also a part of this shebang. Paid my deposit and sent forms, though haven't withdrawn from one school that's pending still.

pearlmc

New

Post by pearlmc » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Also paid my deposit! Although I am also depositing at another school. Can't make up my mind since the other gave me so much more money! Hoping to be at FSU though!

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:26 pm

alicrimson wrote:As of now, I am also a part of this shebang. Paid my deposit and sent forms, though haven't withdrawn from one school that's pending still.
I'm in the same boat. I am 99% sure I will be at FSU but I'm still waiting on that one school. That school is UF

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amarkonthedoor

New

Post by amarkonthedoor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:04 pm

Mattfl88 wrote: I'm in the same boat. I am 99% sure I will be at FSU but I'm still waiting on that one school. That school is UF
+1...haha, this is already quite a thread ;) I also paid my deposit at FSU, though, so I'm happy to be posting here!

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:15 pm

I was accepted by UF, but coming in from out-of-state, felt Tallahassee has better networking opportunities and got a decent scholarship from FSU without getting a dime from UF.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:02 pm

word up

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:14 pm

do you guys think if you eventually get into UF that you'll go there? jw

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:16 pm

minuit wrote:do you guys think if you eventually get into UF that you'll go there? jw
I'm in at UF, but coming from OOS, FSU has been so helpful about the process and informed me today that I'm on a priority scholarship waitlist. I doubt I would get money from UF. Right now I am heavily leaning towards FSU.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:26 pm

minuit wrote:do you guys think if you eventually get into UF that you'll go there? jw
Truthfully, yes. I really do believe the schools are pretty much the same but being from South Florida, I hear more positive things about UF from my father's partners....though, most of them are Levin grads. Sooooo....Plus, my little brother will be attending Levin beginning next year as well. He's an FSU grad and finished early and it greatly hurt him to accept UF. After ASD he kept saying that if he heard "best in the state" or "gatornation" one more time he was going to puke. After doing 2 years UG there, while I loved it, I can attest that the stuck-up reputation of the UG is correct. I surely hope the law school isn't like that. I suspect they wouldn't be because while they are the best in the state currently, it really isn't by much at all.

fiery_searcher

New

Post by fiery_searcher » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:17 pm

Can't wait to return to Tally in August! Did my undergrad there, but it has been five years.

I think I am one of the oddballs that did not bother applying to UF, just not interested in living in Gainesville.

lala7

New

Post by lala7 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:01 pm

Last edited by lala7 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:25 am

alicrimson wrote:
Truthfully, yes. I really do believe the schools are pretty much the same but being from South Florida, I hear more positive things about UF from my father's partners....though, most of them are Levin grads. Sooooo....Plus, my little brother will be attending Levin beginning next year as well. He's an FSU grad and finished early and it greatly hurt him to accept UF. After ASD he kept saying that if he heard "best in the state" or "gatornation" one more time he was going to puke. After doing 2 years UG there, while I loved it, I can attest that the stuck-up reputation of the UG is correct. I surely hope the law school isn't like that. I suspect they wouldn't be because while they are the best in the state currently, it really isn't by much at all.
Yeah, I understand, especially for south Florida. I just cannot buy into the hype. It's mostly because statistically the schools are the same (I wonder if FSU would even be ranked higher than UF if the lawyer/judge index number was closer), and UF Law really seems uppity in comparison to FSU, probably because they are piggybacking off of the undergrad and their past reputation. I'd feel like I was selling my soul into a perception more than a reality. If I were a UF undergrad, of course this would be a different story, and I'd probably go to UF at sticker over FSU with scholarship :D

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:39 am

fiery_searcher wrote: I think I am one of the oddballs that did not bother applying to UF, just not interested in living in Gainesville.
Same here. I knew which school I wanted to attend from the start of the cycle, and I did not apply to UF. The law school and Tallahassee are a good fit for ME, and I believe the school will give me sufficient employment prospects (given that I put the work in; I don't expect the school to just give me a job :lol:)

Moreover, I am really interested in the creation of law (politics, government, lobbying), and the ease of getting involved with that process while in school in Tallahassee was a strong selling point for me.

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:51 am

minuit wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
Yeah, I understand, especially for south Florida. I just cannot buy into the hype. It's mostly because statistically the schools are the same (I wonder if FSU would even be ranked higher than UF if the lawyer/judge index number was closer), and UF Law really seems uppity in comparison to FSU, probably because they are piggybacking off of the undergrad and their past reputation. I'd feel like I was selling my soul into a perception more than a reality. If I were a UF undergrad, of course this would be a different story, and I'd probably go to UF at sticker over FSU with scholarship :D
I definitely agree with this. Based off of my convos with practicing attorneys, most of which were UF alums, they said cost and comfort were a bigger issue than any "UF advantage". Also that it would be easier to network in Tallahassee, which I know is big for me coming from out-of-state.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:22 am

Bill Cosby wrote:
minuit wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
I definitely agree with this. Based off of my convos with practicing attorneys, most of which were UF alums, they said cost and comfort were a bigger issue than any "UF advantage". Also that it would be easier to network in Tallahassee, which I know is big for me coming from out-of-state.
I really can't say enough about networking opportunities in Tallahassee, either! Downtown is simply teeming with suits during the week, and so many attorneys/judges/lobbyists go to happy hour after work.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fiery_searcher

New

Post by fiery_searcher » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:54 pm

Cool Brees wrote:
fiery_searcher wrote: I think I am one of the oddballs that did not bother applying to UF, just not interested in living in Gainesville.
Same here. I knew which school I wanted to attend from the start of the cycle, and I did not apply to UF. The law school and Tallahassee are a good fit for ME, and I believe the school will give me sufficient employment prospects (given that I put the work in; I don't expect the school to just give me a job :lol:)

Moreover, I am really interested in the creation of law (politics, government, lobbying), and the ease of getting involved with that process while in school in Tallahassee was a strong selling point for me.
Yes, being in the capitol we will be in the heart of the action!

lala7

New

Post by lala7 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:21 pm

So what is everyone thinking in terms of housing? Has anyone started looking?

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:02 pm

I would likely still choose FSU unless I visited UF and it absolutely blew me away. I also am interested in legislation, public policy, lobbying, etc. so I feel Tallahassee would be ideal. I'd say I am 99% sure I'll be at Florida State in the fall.

fiery_searcher

New

Post by fiery_searcher » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:35 pm

lala7 wrote:So what is everyone thinking in terms of housing? Has anyone started looking?
I'm going to look and see if there is anything in the Woodland Drives/Indian Head-Leigh area, that is a nice neighborhood that is close enough to bike or bus to the law school and its also close to New Leaf Market. It's going to be a tall order though - I need someplace that is kid friendly, dog friendly, and has an area for me to store a 17 ft. kayak (really don't want to get rid of it). So probably a house or duplex, not an apartment this time around. I used to live at Mission West on the west side of town if anyone has questions about that area.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:44 am

fiery_searcher wrote:
lala7 wrote:So what is everyone thinking in terms of housing? Has anyone started looking?
I'm going to look and see if there is anything in the Woodland Drives/Indian Head-Leigh area, that is a nice neighborhood that is close enough to bike or bus to the law school and its also close to New Leaf Market. It's going to be a tall order though - I need someplace that is kid friendly, dog friendly, and has an area for me to store a 17 ft. kayak (really don't want to get rid of it). So probably a house or duplex, not an apartment this time around. I used to live at Mission West on the west side of town if anyone has questions about that area.
I live on the NW side of town now. We (wife and I) had to move quickly for a job opportunity, and the problem with Tallahassee is that there are SO MANY properties for rent, that it would be impossible to view them all. We wanted to rent a single family home, but we ended up renting a duplex. I prefer duplex/ home/ townhouse because of additional privacy, fenced yards, less neighbors, etc.

The NW area has a lot of rental property, apartment complexes, duplexes, homes, etc. Obviously, some of the places are nicer than others. HOWEVER, I must say that I plan on moving before school starts. I will be looking in the midtown/ lake ella area and Woodland Drives/Indian Head-Leigh area.

Unrelated, I would love to get a kayak. There are so many waterways to explore here, and I love being on the water and fishing.

Alright, well, I got ambitious this morning :lol:, and I decided to try and make a map that might help those unfamiliar with the area. I feel that I am familiar with the area, but I am not claiming to be a Tallahassee expert. So, if an expert wants to chime in, feel free. I will make corrections if needed.

Like any city there is a trade off between commute and quality of housing. The Best areas are the furthest drive. "A" and "B" on the map are the law school and the law library respectively. The only area that is definite avoid is Frenchtown, which is marked by the red box with "x".

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by Cool Brees on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:52 am

:lol: I live in the big red X area! I would say north of 7th between 7th and 10th and east of Gibbs between Gibbs and MLK is where Frenchtown trickles off. There are def poorer people who live in this area, but this "block" is mostly students, young families and old people. It's technically called midtown west or levy park. But there really is almost an invisible line along 7th and Gibbs. My immediate neighbors include some bros, some ghetto folk, a young professional couple, some hipsters, and an old couple. Lots of cute old houses with backyards!! Also, there are lots of dogs in the neighborhood.

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:22 am

minuit wrote::lol: I live in the big red X area! I would say north of 7th between 7th and 10th and east of Gibbs between Gibbs and MLK is where Frenchtown trickles off. There are def poorer people who live in this area, but this "block" is mostly students, young families and old people. It's technically called midtown west or levy park. But there really is almost an invisible line along 7th and Gibbs. My immediate neighbors include some bros, some ghetto folk, a young professional couple, some hipsters, and an old couple. Lots of cute old houses with backyards!! Also, there are lots of dogs in the neighborhood.
Sorry! Didn't mean to hate on your neighborhood. I guess I did make that red x box a little big :lol: I agree north of 7th and closer to Tharpe should have been brown. Most areas off of Tharpe seem similar to me, with some being nicer than others. There really are just so many communities. I have updated the map. Any other discrepancies, just let me know.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:29 am

Cool Brees wrote:
minuit wrote::lol: I live in the big red X area! I would say north of 7th between 7th and 10th and east of Gibbs between Gibbs and MLK is where Frenchtown trickles off. There are def poorer people who live in this area, but this "block" is mostly students, young families and old people. It's technically called midtown west or levy park. But there really is almost an invisible line along 7th and Gibbs. My immediate neighbors include some bros, some ghetto folk, a young professional couple, some hipsters, and an old couple. Lots of cute old houses with backyards!! Also, there are lots of dogs in the neighborhood.
Sorry! Didn't mean to hate on your neighborhood. I guess I did make that red x box a little big :lol: I agree north of 7th and closer to Tharpe should have been brown. Most areas off of Tharpe seem similar to me, with some being nicer than others. There really are just so many communities. I have updated the map. Any other discrepancies, just let me know.
Oh no worries!! A lot of that locale is a gray area, where it's not bad but not good. I can't speak for other parts of frenchtown. But you should check this neighborhood out, too, as it seems to have a lot of your qualifications! It's so centrally located, I can get to the law school area in 4-5 minutes during rush hour!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”