Florida State Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Mattfl88

Bronze

Re: Florida State Class of 2014

Post by Mattfl88 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:35 pm

Just wanted to let any of you still searching for an apartment about this 1 bedroom:

--LinkRemoved--

I used to intern under the other tenants. One is a legislative aide in the house and the other is a teacher. Both very nice and quiet. They are hoping to find a law student that is too busy to party and make a lot of noise. You can message me and I can put you in contact if you are interested in visiting or just contact them through the ad.

amarkonthedoor

New

Post by amarkonthedoor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:56 pm

I withdrew today, good luck waitlisters!

Also, anyone (female) in need of a roommate should check out this ad:

Finding a nice apartment in Tally has been an epic sort of search, but I've finally found a beautiful place, with great amenities, and a great location. I would REALLY like to find a compatible roommate though, because I can't quite afford it by myself. It works out to about 440/person in a two bedroom at Azalea Place Apartments off Victory Gardens (behind Governor's Square Mall, near the the Park St. Publix, New Leaf Market, etc.)

I've already picked out the unit -- it's a 2br/2bath contemporary unit, rent is 880 altogether plus utilities. The unit has hardwood floors, tile in the kitchen, and new carpet in the bedrooms. It also has new appliances, huge bright windows, high ceilings, crown molding, a fireplace (!), and a screened-in porch with storage area. The complex has a gorgeous pool, 24 hr gym, car care maintenance (?!), video and courtesy officer security (and each apartment has an individual security system). The whole place is really bright and clean and big, and I'm just really excited to find a place in Tally that's not totally dingy and run-down that is still in a good location.

About me: I'm a female young professional (recent law school grad - hence the preference for law/grad students). I like to socialize, but am also respectful of important study schedules. I'm vegetarian, and would prefer to live with someone who is at least respectful of that. I have one cat, but other pets are welcome. My current roommates are wonderful and can all give me excellent references - I just wanted to live in a place that's a little nicer than my current apartment. :)

Move in dates can be very flexible. Anytime in the July-August range works for me!
http://www.arborproperties.com/azalea-place/ (Apartment Complex website)

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:52 pm

Thought this article would be of interest to us future FSU 1Ls.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/CD/ ... y=nav|head

dukivich10

Bronze

Post by dukivich10 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:Thought this article would be of interest to us future FSU 1Ls.

I also saw this...I like what I see. I think we will continue to rise while we are there.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:08 pm

dukivich10 wrote:

I also saw this...I like what I see. I think we will continue to rise while we are there.
<3 FSU <3 We're only getting better!

However, this:
the four-week program introduces law school to about 60 minority undergraduates, paving the way for the college's 21 percent racial diversity.
is not true. The program is open to everybody, not just minorities! OH well

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Anybody doing that little session before the semester starts? I opted to hold out :wink:

leefair123

Bronze

Post by leefair123 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:52 pm

I opted to do it bc I wanted to meet professors early and get acclimated to the area.

fiery_searcher

New

Post by fiery_searcher » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:16 pm

I applied to do the one-week orientation. I was debating the pros and cons of feeling well rested and refreshed versus feeling prepared and not completely lost. I think it will calm my nerves a little and make me feel a bit more confident about things when classes start.

leefair123

Bronze

Post by leefair123 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:25 pm

fiery_searcher wrote:I applied to do the one-week orientation. I was debating the pros and cons of feeling well rested and refreshed versus feeling prepared and not completely lost. I think it will calm my nerves a little and make me feel a bit more confident about things when classes start.

It looks like we were both biology majors too (probably the only ones in the class) and it should help to get started in the no sciences. Hope to see you there!! Yay

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fiery_searcher

New

Post by fiery_searcher » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:54 pm

leefair123 wrote:
fiery_searcher wrote:I applied to do the one-week orientation. I was debating the pros and cons of feeling well rested and refreshed versus feeling prepared and not completely lost. I think it will calm my nerves a little and make me feel a bit more confident about things when classes start.

It looks like we were both biology majors too (probably the only ones in the class) and it should help to get started in the no sciences. Hope to see you there!! Yay
Cool. Yay for bio-nerds! :lol:

leefair123

Bronze

Post by leefair123 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:22 am

fiery_searcher wrote:
leefair123 wrote:

Cool. Yay for bio-nerds! :lol:
:D yay!!

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:12 pm

dukivich10 wrote:

Lovin it! I'm excited about what the school has accomplished and can't wait to be a part of its future growth and success.

Unrelated, I'm also down with meeting before school starts.

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:16 am

Just wanted to let everyone know that Tallahassee just won the 2011 Livability Award from U.S. Conference of Mayors! More ammo for the Tallahassee v. Gainesville debate.
The City of Tallahassee was honored in Baltimore, MD, Saturday by the United States Conference of Mayors (USCM) and presented with the prestigious 2011 City Livability Award. This highly coveted first-place designation, awarded for exemplary leadership and innovation, recognizes the City for ensuring the highest quality of life for residents.

"This award brings national attention to our city and it shows what we've known all along-that Tallahassee is a great place to live," said Mayor John Marks. "It demonstrates once again that Tallahassee is at the forefront, not only for our steadfast commitment to sustainability and environmental stewardship, but also for pioneering programs, award-winning parks, top-rated schools, world-renowned research facilities and active civic involvement." ...

the rigorous competition drew hundreds of applicants from across the country. Tallahassee took first place after an intensive second round of 15 finalists, including Sacramento, CA, Houston, TX, and Philadelphia, PA.
http://www.talgov.com/you/email/livability_award.cfm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SelormKK

New

Post by SelormKK » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:04 am

That's quite something there. Just when I really start to like Tallahassee, I get even better news! I can't wait till August.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:24 pm

If only Tallahassee was situated about 45 minutes closer to a good beach, I would say this city is pretty perfect, for me at least :)

Also, Tallahassee was recently voted the #2 running city in the south, losing out to only DC!

SelormKK

New

Post by SelormKK » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:54 pm

minuit wrote:If only Tallahassee was situated about 45 minutes closer to a good beach, I would say this city is pretty perfect, for me at least :)

Also, Tallahassee was recently voted the #2 running city in the south, losing out to only DC!
Yea that would be perfect.

And it looks like I'm leaving the #1 running city for the #2 running city. Not bad. Too bad I can't run for my life, haha.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:03 pm

I didn't realize how much I was starting to like Tallahassee until my most recent visit (second time in Tally). I really like the downtown area, some of the neighborhoods around campus, the layout of the city, the vegetation, and restaurants. I second the idea that it would be nice to be closer to a beach. I really hope I like it as much when the heat index is above 105. Also: can anybody recommend a gym other than the leach center and gold's?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:26 pm

EricBerry wrote:I didn't realize how much I was starting to like Tallahassee until my most recent visit (second time in Tally). I really like the downtown area, some of the neighborhoods around campus, the layout of the city, the vegetation, and restaurants. I second the idea that it would be nice to be closer to a beach. I really hope I like it as much when the heat index is above 105. Also: can anybody recommend a gym other than the leach center and gold's?
There's a gym somewhere out north on Thomasville (if I remember correctly), but honestly, I think it's silly to go to any other gym than The Leach. For one, all other gyms in the area are going to be run-down little joints, while The Leach is huge, spacious, nearby, and...oh yeah, free. I'm somewhat of a gym nut, and trust me, The Leach went above and beyond what I could ask for from any gym. It's four stories, and has every piece of equipment you will ever need, basketball courts, an olympic sized pool with diving boards and lanes, a sauna, a steam room, a few jacuzzis, a track, etc. It has everything. It's an amazing facility.

And it's nice to see everyone so excited about the city of Tallahassee. There are certainly a lot of perks, but trust me, there are some crappy aspects as well. For example, you'll get tired of homeless people approaching you for money every time you go out to eat.

I don't think Tallahassee is the greatest place on the planet like a lot of people in here are making it out to be, but it is definitely a cool college town, and as a law student, it obviously offers tremendous resources.

Tally is a good time. I am positive everyone here will enjoy it. Just wait until football season. You'll feel like you're in some sort of alternate universe (assuming you aren't trapped inside studying).

Remember, if anyone has any Tally-specific questions, I'd be happy to help answer them.

P.S.

For the record, Tallahassee SHITS all over Gainesville. ALL. OVER. IT. So as far as which is the better place to live, let's end the discussion right there. No one from Tally EVER goes to visit people at UF, but people from UF frequently find themselves taking the 75 to the I-10 to get to Tallahassee. There really is no debate.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:42 pm

Bless wrote:There's a gym somewhere out north on Thomasville (if I remember correctly), but honestly, I think it's silly to go to any other gym than The Leach. For one, all other gyms in the area are going to be run-down little joints, while The Leach is huge, spacious, nearby, and...oh yeah, free. I'm somewhat of a gym nut, and trust me, The Leach went above and beyond what I could ask for from any gym. It's four stories, and has every piece of equipment you will ever need, basketball courts, an olympic sized pool with diving boards and lanes, a sauna, a steam room, a few jacuzzis, a track, etc. It has everything. It's an amazing facility.
You seem pretty big on the Leach. Here are my concerns:
-No parking. How the hell do I get in there? I'd really like to not worry about fighting for a parking spot on campus everyday when I want to lift.
-I heard that it's extremely crowded. Definitely don't want to have to wait in line behind brosefs curling in the squat rack. What are the best times to go?
-I heard it's pretty restrictive as to what you can/can't do. IE: no powercleans, etc.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:46 pm

:lol: Bless, that is certainly true about the homeless people. A local cop recently told me that surrounding towns actually 1) take bus loads of homeless and drop them off here or 2) homeless shelters and such give them like $50 and a greyhound ticket, and Tallahassee is always the first stop to connect to a bus east or west, so a lot of them get off here and spend the money on booze. Ahh well.

As for the Leach, if you are at the law school it's about one mile away, which you could walk/run or take an FSU bus (they pass every 5-10 mins from the nearest stop). I am gonna try to park near the law school and go in the mornings, because it does get realllly crowded.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:53 pm

Ever been to the Y on Apalachee? It's only 20/mo for students. If they have adequate equipment, it would be worth it to me not to have to take buses or walk a mile to get to the Leach.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:28 pm

EricBerry wrote:You seem pretty big on the Leach. Here are my concerns:
-No parking. How the hell do I get in there? I'd really like to not worry about fighting for a parking spot on campus everyday when I want to lift.
-I heard that it's extremely crowded. Definitely don't want to have to wait in line behind brosefs curling in the squat rack. What are the best times to go?
-I heard it's pretty restrictive as to what you can/can't do. IE: no powercleans, etc.
Parking was never an issue for me when I hit the gym. There are two large lots and one smaller lot right in front and beside The Leach. Also, there's a rather large five-story parking garage outside of The Leach that always has available parking (very rare for FSU parking garages, trust me :wink:). When traveling to the gym, I can only remember having to park in the parking garage maybe five times during undergrad, and it's only a two minute walk anyway. At certain times, nearby parking (i.e. that ideal space RIGHT in front of the gym) might be hard to come by, but you will ALWAYS find parking of some sort (at the most, a two minute walk from the garage). So don't fret about parking.

Yes, the gym gets crowded at times. Mondays from like 5pm-8pm are rough (I think this is universally true for all gyms). At the beginning of the semester, you notice that the gym is busy at nights during the school week (M-F, with it getting less busy each day). It seems everyone wants to start working out once the schools starts, and they all swear they will last. As the semester progresses, a lot less people start going. After a month into the semester, you'll see a HUGE difference.

Although the gym is busy at times, do take note that this gym is HUGE. There is A LOT of space and A LOT of equipment/facilities, so it takes a PELTHORA of people to be at that gym in order for it to seem crowded. Sometimes, you'll find yourself waiting for a bench press, but a majority of the time, I was able to get right in and out for each work out.

If you go in the morning, expect the gym to be empty. Oftentimes, the same goes for the afternoon. On the weekends, the gym is always empty.

And that's true about the powercleans, but that didn't really effect me since I don't do them (I know, I'm soft. lol, the last time I did powercleans was in high school during football training). Nonetheless, I still saw guys doing powercleans regularly with no problem.
EricBerry wrote:Ever been to the Y on Apalachee? It's only 20/mo for students. If they have adequate equipment, it would be worth it to me not to have to take buses or walk a mile to get to the Leach.
Haven't been there. I didn't even know that there was a YMCA in Tally. Unless the price changed since I graduated last July, the Golds Gym (which is way closer) is only $15 a month. All of the gyms in the area are dirt cheap because they are trying to pull people away from The Leach.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:59 pm

Thanks for the info, bless. I'll probably end up doing the Leach later in the evening. Last question: any idea when the Leach is open to incoming students? Late August when school starts?

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:28 am

minuit wrote:If only Tallahassee was situated about 45 minutes closer to a good beach, I would say this city is pretty perfect, for me at least :)

Beach - Yes, please!

Running - I have noticed that Tallahassee has a 5k just about every weekend. Gulf Winds Track Club is doing an event every Thursday of June at the Maclay School track, and it is open to anyone. Also, I see people running all the time. Anyone else run? I started getting back into in January. I mainly do it for exercise; so, I'm not that competitive with it. Some of the guys at the events can put up some impressive times in my opinion.

leefair123

Bronze

Post by leefair123 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:19 am

I run a lot. Just wondering where is it safe to run any three to five mile routes people know of?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”