Baylor Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
CrimLaw300

Bronze

Baylor Class of 2014

Post by CrimLaw300 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Last edited by CrimLaw300 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ayc5044

New

Re: Baylor Class of 2014

Post by ayc5044 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:18 pm

i will be there! starting in the summer though :D

jeggi

New

Post by jeggi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:10 pm

I paid my deposit as well but I'm still waiting to hear from a wait list. I'm not going to lie, I've heard Baylor is really tough which is kind of scary. Any of you hear horror stories of practice court? Did that effect your decision at all?

david787

Bronze

Post by david787 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:20 pm

I also paid a deposit but am waiting to hear back from two others (one waitlist, one just taking their time) before I decide. It seems different from the other schools since it gets harder the 2nd the 3rd year, whereas the others get easier. Practice Court sounds like a pain but also very similar to what being a lawyer would be like, so it seems like a good program since the whole point of going to law school is to become a lawyer. I'm pretty sure it's a great experience. My only real concern is it seems less social than some of the other schools, probably a result of the competitiveness (which I believe is a result of only the top % being able to find preferable employment) and location.

The facilities are great and the students seem very professional and intelligent, which I surprisingly didn't find at other more highly ranked schools.

I think they should eliminate the quarter system, there's no need to be that different from everyone else, and 2 weeks for winter break is too short,

jeggi

New

Post by jeggi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:02 pm

david787 wrote:Practice Court sounds like a pain but also very similar to what being a lawyer would be like, so it seems like a good program since the whole point of going to law school is to become a lawyer.
I agree. Unfortunately it seems the best things for growth in life are the most painful. I guess if you want to go through law school looking for the easy way when does it stop? I think if thats your attitude with law school that will be your attitude towards life...at least thats what I keep telling myself in relation to Practice Court.
david787 wrote:I think they should eliminate the quarter system
I'm split on this. At first I thought the quarter system was stupid; who wants to take 3 sets of finals a year instead of 2? I talked to a few Baylor law grads and they said they actually liked it because it meant you had less info you needed to cram into your skull for finals. The short Christmas break does stink but I haven't decided what I think about the 3 sets of finals. Also, I think it might lessen the impact of your first set of finals since you have 2 more that year instead of just 1.

renee88

Bronze

Post by renee88 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:35 pm

I'm 90% certain I'll be at Baylor in the fall. :) I'm on SMU's waitlist but I'm really leaning towards Baylor even if I end up getting accepted to SMU.

I've also heard many horror stories about BLS and I've put a lot of thought into my decision because of them. The intensity with which they use the Socratic method and the huge workload of the 3rd year is without a doubt something to consider. However, I've come to terms with it because I truly think these things will pay off and help students become better lawyers. I'm a pretty shy and anxious person, and I know there are schools out there that would make the next 3 years much less stressful on me. But I think I need a school like Baylor for those same reasons. I don't want to spend the early part of my career struggling with a workload I'm not used to, or let the habits of my personality hold me back. I think Baylor will help me overcome these things so I can be successful later.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”