Temple Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Evrydyhonestliar

Bronze

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Post by Evrydyhonestliar » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Justathought wrote:Since I don't have an animal avatar, please accept this image as a peace offering.

Animal, the Muppet.

This with your new phillylove 'tar make you awesome in my book. Also, to go with the Philly love, we had a taste of Philly food fest at Nova today. Cheesesteaks and Tasty Kakes were had by all. What an awesome city.

usmcjag

New

Post by usmcjag » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:33 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/22/education/22dog.html

Did you guys see this? Maybe we can talk to Dean Epps and a get our dogs/bunnies/creatures work study jobs.

oreo3405

Bronze

Post by oreo3405 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:45 am

Evrydyhonestliar wrote:
Justathought wrote:Since I don't have an animal avatar, please accept this image as a peace offering.

Animal, the Muppet.

This with your new phillylove 'tar make you awesome in my book. Also, to go with the Philly love, we had a taste of Philly food fest at Nova today. Cheesesteaks and Tasty Kakes were had by all. What an awesome city.
+1 btw. I can't help to wonder if we know each other lol.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:49 am

Evrydyhonestliar wrote:

Animal, the Muppet.

Not going to lie, I had to Google Tastykakes. :lol:

On an unrelated note, I finally was admitted to the Temple Class of 2014/2015 Facebook group. Which is good, because that was the whole reason I joined Facebook.

Evrydyhonestliar

Bronze

Post by Evrydyhonestliar » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:21 pm

Justathought wrote:
Evrydyhonestliar wrote:

Animal, the Muppet.

Not going to lie, I had to Google Tastykakes. :lol:

On an unrelated note, I finally was admitted to the Temple Class of 2014/2015 Facebook group. Which is good, because that was the whole reason I joined Facebook.
Did it say TastyKakes are the greatest thing ever. Because they are (okay I just like food, a lot but they are delish and they do sell them at the ball park now!) and oreo, we might PM me to do more sleuthing on the subject haha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oreo3405

Bronze

Post by oreo3405 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:03 pm

http://www.law.temple.edu/Pages/Current ... m_CBT.aspx

Can any computer-savvy people tell me if this means my Mac or is okay? or If i should bring my dell in for exams?

x7227

Bronze

Post by x7227 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:09 pm

oreo3405 wrote:http://www.law.temple.edu/Pages/Current ... m_CBT.aspx

Can any computer-savvy people tell me if this means my Mac or is okay? or If i should bring my dell in for exams?
You'll have to run boot-camp for exams if you want to use your mac (you also have the option of handwriting your exams too if you so desire). Its easy enough to do, all you have to do is buy a copy of windows and install it on the bootcamp partition. Everything else is completely mac friendly as far as I can tell. Heck, a newer version of the exam software that Temple uses is actually Mac compatible, so I dunno why its PC only. Oh well...

voltage88

Bronze

Post by voltage88 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:15 pm

Hey everyone. How far are you guys into your housing search? I'm overwhelmed by all the options in Philly. What part of the city are you guys looking into?

oreo3405

Bronze

Post by oreo3405 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:28 pm

voltage88 wrote:Hey everyone. How far are you guys into your housing search? I'm overwhelmed by all the options in Philly. What part of the city are you guys looking into?
Depends what kind of cit life you want to go into.
Roxborough/Manyunk is a nice area, big college area with Villanova, Temple and St. Joe's students. Not really the same "city" feel as in center city but its overall a nice area. There's a lot of public transportation in all of these areas that go to the Temple area.

Rittenhouse Square/Chestnut Hill are both a little pricey but sitll give that city feel if that is what you are looking for.

I currently live in the Northeast part of Philadelphia which is a bit out of the way but im a soon to be newlywed and my fiance wants to live closer to his family. We are currently looking to move in the Manayunk area i think though.

If you want any help, PM me. My fiance is a cop in the city so he knows where the bad areas are if you are concerned about that at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oreo3405

Bronze

Post by oreo3405 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Does anyone know when we will receive our financial aid information??

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:10 pm

oreo3405 wrote:Does anyone know when we will receive our financial aid information??
they dont start processing our financial aid applications until june or july. had this conversation with the fin aid office last week.

you can request a preliminary award letter which will notify you if you've gotten any scholarships and the final award letter doesn't change much from the preliminary. you won't get a final award letter until they complete the processing of our fin aid apps.

oreo3405

Bronze

Post by oreo3405 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:57 pm

rs2004 wrote:
oreo3405 wrote:Does anyone know when we will receive our financial aid information??
they dont start processing our financial aid applications until june or july. had this conversation with the fin aid office last week.

you can request a preliminary award letter which will notify you if you've gotten any scholarships and the final award letter doesn't change much from the preliminary. you won't get a final award letter until they complete the processing of our fin aid apps.
okay great, thanks!

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:44 am

voltage88 wrote:Hey everyone. How far are you guys into your housing search? I'm overwhelmed by all the options in Philly. What part of the city are you guys looking into?
I've already lived in a good bit of the city (South Philly, Temple campus, Fairmount) and spent enough significant time in the ones I haven't lived in that I feel I've got a good sense of what all the neighborhoods are like. Feel free to ask any questions.

I'm split between Fishtown, Graduate Hospital and campus area - the last simply because I feel it would be beneficial to live within walking distance, not because it lures me with its charm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JawnGalt

New

Post by JawnGalt » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:19 am

arvcondor wrote:
I'm split between Fishtown, Graduate Hospital and campus area - the last simply because I feel it would be beneficial to live within walking distance, not because it lures me with its charm.
After living on Temple's campus, I've decided enough is enough. Living here sucks for me. The neighborhood gets wayyy too loud.

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:38 am

JawnGalt wrote:
arvcondor wrote:
After living on Temple's campus, I've decided enough is enough. Living here sucks for me. The neighborhood gets wayyy too loud.
Between the undergrads, the ice cream trucks and the gunshots, it can be distracting.

Also, nice handle (the "jawn" bit at least).

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:48 pm

thoughts on rittenhouse square area?

x7227

Bronze

Post by x7227 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:11 am

rs2004 wrote:thoughts on rittenhouse square area?
Fantastic if you can afford it...you're easily paying 30%-40% more than apartments in some other equally nice downtown neighborhoods (e.g. gayborhood, avenue of the arts, loft district, art museum). Otherwise its an amazing neighborhood...some of the city's best restaurants and retail stores are all within 3-4 blocks of the square. Walnut and Chestnut streets are jam-packed with bars and on friday/saturday nights its just wall to wall young people. The park itself is also just a really chill place to hang out in the spring/summer and just read a book or people watch.

Pretty much the same can be said of old city/society hill (minus the park itself).

If cost is not an option, go and be happy living in one of the prettiest/trendiest parts of the city.

If you, or anyone else, have any questions about the city in general, feel free to PM me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:55 am

x7227 wrote:
rs2004 wrote:thoughts on rittenhouse square area?
Fantastic if you can afford it...you're easily paying 30%-40% more than apartments in some other equally nice downtown neighborhoods (e.g. gayborhood, avenue of the arts, loft district, art museum). Otherwise its an amazing neighborhood...some of the city's best restaurants and retail stores are all within 3-4 blocks of the square. Walnut and Chestnut streets are jam-packed with bars and on friday/saturday nights its just wall to wall young people. The park itself is also just a really chill place to hang out in the spring/summer and just read a book or people watch.

Pretty much the same can be said of old city/society hill (minus the park itself).

If cost is not an option, go and be happy living in one of the prettiest/trendiest parts of the city.

If you, or anyone else, have any questions about the city in general, feel free to PM me.
what is the typical rent for an apartment in art museum? i haven't been able to find apartment listings in the other neighborhoods so far that aren't already in the 1000s.

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:25 pm

also i'm looking at some apartments in west philly - why do some people dislike the area?

oreo3405

Bronze

Post by oreo3405 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:58 pm

rs2004 wrote:also i'm looking at some apartments in west philly - why do some people dislike the area?
to put it bluntly (my fiance is a philly cop so i hear about this all the time) most parts of west philly are a shit hole.

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:05 pm

another question - a lot of the buildings i see do not include heat and some of them have electric heat. what has been some of your average monthly electric heating bill in the winter? i also heard of some discount that PEOC is not offering anymore? basically, i dont want to be baited into an apt with low rent only to be hit with a high electric heating bill in the winter.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

x7227

Bronze

Post by x7227 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:30 pm

oreo3405 wrote:
rs2004 wrote:also i'm looking at some apartments in west philly - why do some people dislike the area?
to put it bluntly (my fiance is a philly cop so i hear about this all the time) most parts of west philly are a shit hole.
Depends on where in West Philly you're looking. I grew up in the nice part of West Philly (Overbrook Farms area). The part of West Philly immediately surrounding Penn/Drexel is also nice...anything in between, listen to Oreo's fiancé.

rs2004 wrote:another question - a lot of the buildings i see do not include heat and some of them have electric heat. what has been some of your average monthly electric heating bill in the winter? i also heard of some discount that PEOC is not offering anymore? basically, i dont want to be baited into an apt with low rent only to be hit with a high electric heating bill in the winter.
Ahhh PECO...what I think you're referring to is the expiration of rate caps, which is a weird little thing that just happened last year. I'm not really quite sure how that will affect you, but you're no longer tied down to purchasing electricity solely through PECO anymore (PECO still delivers it, but you can "purchase" it from other companies). Price it out with a few companies and see what it looks like... unfortunately all you can really do is ask the previous tenants what their winter electric bills looked like last year to use as an estimate since heating costs will vary widely from building to building.
rs2004 wrote:what is the typical rent for an apartment in art museum? i haven't been able to find apartment listings in the other neighborhoods so far that aren't already in the 1000s.
Depending on how close it is to the actual art museum you're looking at a high of around 1000 for a nice 1br, 700 for a 1br in brewerytown (closer to west philly) or along spring garden street (which is a nice nice area for the most part). I'd say one of the most underrated neighborhoods in the city is the square from 21st, 17th, spring garden and fairmount ave (so long as you dont mind less than zero street parking and a supposedly haunted Quaker prison). Just east of there is the loft district where things can start to get a little pricey again, but within that square its just a lot of young professional families and mellow bars/restaurants.

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Tue May 10, 2011 4:41 am

x7227 wrote:
rs2004 wrote:what is the typical rent for an apartment in art museum? i haven't been able to find apartment listings in the other neighborhoods so far that aren't already in the 1000s.
Depending on how close it is to the actual art museum you're looking at a high of around 1000 for a nice 1br, 700 for a 1br in brewerytown (closer to west philly) or along spring garden street (which is a nice nice area for the most part). I'd say one of the most underrated neighborhoods in the city is the square from 21st, 17th, spring garden and fairmount ave (so long as you dont mind less than zero street parking and a supposedly haunted Quaker prison). Just east of there is the loft district where things can start to get a little pricey again, but within that square its just a lot of young professional families and mellow bars/restaurants.
These are all true, but that's only if you've tied yourself to 1-bedroom. I lived in a 3br right down the street from Girard College on a really lovely street, in a spacious room, and paid something like $450 a month. Deals abound if you look for them.

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:17 am

arvcondor wrote:
x7227 wrote:
These are all true, but that's only if you've tied yourself to 1-bedroom. I lived in a 3br right down the street from Girard College on a really lovely street, in a spacious room, and paid something like $450 a month. Deals abound if you look for them.
yea, after having lived by myself for a while now and now with a dog, i am looking for my own place.

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Thu May 12, 2011 7:58 am

Yup, 1brs are pricey. That's why I probably need to find something with at least 2.

Speaking of which, I'm open to looking for places with other TLSers. I'm totally fucking awesome and not sociopathic, and if you are these things too, let's talk.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”