UConn Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Heartford

Bronze

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Post by Heartford » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:23 pm

downing wrote:
Drew82abndiv wrote:Many/most of my friends have jobs. I got a job through OCI at a mid-sized CT law firm despite the fact that I was middle of my class. I also got hired by the Navy as a 2L for post-grad employment. You won't have a hard time finding employment in CT if you are a go-getter and actually seek it out. As for jobs outside of CT, we had 2 PMFs and I also know people who have accepted jobs in NY, MA, and other states. Again, if you put in the work to find a job, you will get one. Good luck!
Very inspiring to hear, thanks!
+1000. I've been freaking out for the past week because OCI is coming and the economy appears to be on the verge of collapsing again... it's nice to hear something positive for once!

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Your chances of getting a job are directly proportional to the amount of work you put in to finding a job. Where I find that most students go wrong is in assuming that 1) they will certainly get a job through OCI, 2) that OCI is the ONLY option, and 3) assuming that Career services will hold their hands. You control your own destiny. I'm not saying that it won't be difficult but there ARE jobs out there and if you work hard and put many applications out and prepare for your interviews and are persistent, you will snatch one up! Keep your head up!

BrittaBot

New

Post by BrittaBot » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:40 pm

Bear46 wrote:I have Chill for Torts, too. You can purchase it directly from the publisher West for $172 and they also offer free shipping. This book is weird because the used prices are more than the cost for a new book. Plus I keep seeing it listed for $172 but selling for $193. The fourth edition is new as of this year so I'm not sure how many used copies are floating around anyway. Did you contact Chill to ask if a previous version would suffice?
Nah, actually the next day I found a new one on Amazon listed for $145 so I snatched that right up! lol

Bear46

New

Post by Bear46 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:22 pm

BrittaBot wrote:
Bear46 wrote:I have Chill for Torts, too. You can purchase it directly from the publisher West for $172 and they also offer free shipping. This book is weird because the used prices are more than the cost for a new book. Plus I keep seeing it listed for $172 but selling for $193. The fourth edition is new as of this year so I'm not sure how many used copies are floating around anyway. Did you contact Chill to ask if a previous version would suffice?
Nah, actually the next day I found a new one on Amazon listed for $145 so I snatched that right up! lol
Omg I saw that one and when I tried to purchase it, Amazon said it was sold out! I guess you bought it before I could :wink:

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Bear46 wrote:
BrittaBot wrote:
Omg I saw that one and when I tried to purchase it, Amazon said it was sold out! I guess you bought it before I could :wink:
The infamous law school competition has already begun. Let this event usher in Battle Royale UConn-Law of 2014.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kelle_Woods

New

Post by Kelle_Woods » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi everyone - I'll also be joining the rest of you as 1L's at UCONN c/o 2014 :mrgreen: !

Has anyone else come across an "optional" class? I have Prof. Becker for Crim Law on Tues, Weds, and Thurs then an "optional" class on Friday. I wonder how that works?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:17 pm

Kelle_Woods wrote:Hi everyone - I'll also be joining the rest of you as 1L's at UCONN c/o 2014 :mrgreen: !

Has anyone else come across an "optional" class? I have Prof. Becker for Crim Law on Tues, Weds, and Thurs then an "optional" class on Friday. I wonder how that works?
I'm in that class too. The Fri class is prob more of a review session.

tgreene

New

Post by tgreene » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:27 pm

I hope everyone is looking forward to starting classes in the coming weeks!

My partner, Adam (also a rising 1L), and I wanted to invite everyone for a pre-orientation happy hour at Tisane on Farmington Ave next Tuesday, the 23rd, to meet with other rising 1Ls. They have a good selection of wine/beer/cocktails (also, a vessel martini special). We will be there from 4-7 so stop by anytime!

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:58 pm

tgreene wrote:I hope everyone is looking forward to starting classes in the coming weeks!

My partner, Adam (also a rising 1L), and I wanted to invite everyone for a pre-orientation happy hour at Tisane on Farmington Ave next Tuesday, the 23rd, to meet with other rising 1Ls. They have a good selection of wine/beer/cocktails (also, a vessel martini special). We will be there from 4-7 so stop by anytime!

I might drop by. I can practically see Tisane from my apartment. And btw how do you pronounce it? Ti-sa-neh, ti-sane, tih-sane???

edit: btw The lambda group is hosting a get together at Tisane on the same day at 7pm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kelle_Woods

New

Post by Kelle_Woods » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:16 pm

downing wrote:
tgreene wrote:I hope everyone is looking forward to starting classes in the coming weeks!

I might drop by. I can practically see Tisane from my apartment. And btw how do you pronounce it? Ti-sa-neh, ti-sane, tih-sane???

edit: btw The lambda group is hosting a get together at Tisane on the same day at 7pm.
Lambda's get together is on the following Tuesday, August 30th.

I may drop by for a few as well, as Tisane (I've always pronounced it Ti-sahn, but I could be way off... :wink:) is halfway between work and home for me.

Bear46

New

Post by Bear46 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:49 am

Sounds great! Maybe you could have a "UConn Law" sign :D

mebo28

New

Post by mebo28 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Drew82abndiv wrote:Hope that helps calm your fears about "Damages" it's really not hard and Pandya's quiz isn't hard either...just use that outline. Also the quiz has like 0 impact on your grade.

Take it from me, I took him 1L year (I have since graduated)
Thanks!

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:34 pm

One week from today, you guys will officially be law students! Excited? :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Very excited; by then I'll also have an apartment, and lots of furniture from Office Depot and JCPenny's (50% off sale right now on furniture, so I ordered an awesome bed).

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Do you have orientation "community service" activities like we did? If so, do some people have to actually do work while others take walking tours?

Kelle_Woods

New

Post by Kelle_Woods » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:51 pm

Heartford wrote:Do you have orientation "community service" activities like we did? If so, do some people have to actually do work while others take walking tours?
I'm excited too!! :mrgreen: and yes to both community service questions!

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:55 pm

Kelle_Woods wrote: yes to both community service questions!
Haha nice! You'll have lots of fun!

Orientation tip: Bring a seat cushion/pillow/inflatable mattress/survival provisions with you to Starr Reading Room. You'll be in there for a long, LONG time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

glolaw

New

Post by glolaw » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Did anybody email Chill about using an older version for torts? $172 is quite a hefty price :|

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:17 pm

The orientation schedule lists a few events as "OPTIONAL FOR EVENING STUDENTS". Does that mean to imply that day-division students must attend while evening students may if they want, or that these events are solely designed for evening students, but evening students can opt if they want?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:06 pm

downing wrote:The orientation schedule lists a few events as "OPTIONAL FOR EVENING STUDENTS". Does that mean to imply that day-division students must attend while evening students may if they want, or that these events are solely designed for evening students, but evening students can opt if they want?
It means mandatory for day and optional for evening.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:34 pm

Guys, one other thing that popped into my head, that I wish someone was dorky enough to tell me before orientation: Bring a bag, or some way to carry papers. You'll be handed folders and flyers and whatnot and, if you're like me, you won't have anywhere to put any of it and you'll be stuck holding it in your nervous, shaky hand like a fool all day long. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Heartford wrote:Guys, one other thing that popped into my head, that I wish someone was dorky enough to tell me before orientation: Bring a bag, or some way to carry papers. You'll be handed folders and flyers and whatnot and, if you're like me, you won't have anywhere to put any of it and you'll be stuck holding it in your nervous, shaky hand like a fool all day long. :D
Thanks for the tips! I'm hoping my oversized handbag will be big enough for that and my survival kit ;)

Bear46

New

Post by Bear46 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Heartford wrote:Guys, one other thing that popped into my head, that I wish someone was dorky enough to tell me before orientation: Bring a bag, or some way to carry papers. You'll be handed folders and flyers and whatnot and, if you're like me, you won't have anywhere to put any of it and you'll be stuck holding it in your nervous, shaky hand like a fool all day long. :D
Awesome, thanks. I was trying to decide what bag to bring. One more thing, is there a particular dress code for orientation? I don't think I saw anything in our info requesting business casual and since we have our community service events on Friday I assumed it can't be extremely dressy at least that day...but I know some schools do want business casual. Any ideas?

BrittaBot

New

Post by BrittaBot » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:36 pm

On a similar note, what's the temperature like in classrooms/the library and such? I'm very temperature-sensitive and get extremely distracted if I'm cold, so I want to know what I should wear. My undergrad liked to blast the air in classrooms to the point where in some of them they had the AC on 68 during WINTER.

Thanks! :D

P.S. Does anyone have Lindseth for Contracts, Tuesdays 2-4pm? There's no homework up yet…just wondering if anyone is going to take the plunge and email him. Should I do it?

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:59 pm

BrittaBot wrote:On a similar note, what's the temperature like in classrooms/the library and such? I'm very temperature-sensitive and get extremely distracted if I'm cold, so I want to know what I should wear. My undergrad liked to blast the air in classrooms to the point where in some of them they had the AC on 68 during WINTER.

Thanks! :D

P.S. Does anyone have Lindseth for Contracts, Tuesdays 2-4pm? There's no homework up yet…just wondering if anyone is going to take the plunge and email him. Should I do it?
I just was going to ask that! I was thinking of wearing a casual dress for orientation and if there's killer AC, I want to at least throw a sweater in my giant bag of doom.

Also, I have two profs that haven't posted anything on TWEN yet - Silverstein for Con Law and Laplante for Torts. anyone else in the same boat? Heartford, if a prof doesn't post, do you just go to the bookstore and pick up books there, a la undergrad?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”