Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
amg414

New

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Post by amg414 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:01 pm

Any other part-timers in here get their assignment for Torts yet?

NJLawGirl520

New

Post by NJLawGirl520 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:09 am

AmericaninManchuria wrote:Track II (12) !

me 2

JeffHink

New

Post by JeffHink » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:34 pm

If you're not in the FB group you should join. Seems to be growing quickly.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/199862546724624/?ap=1

Exeter

New

Post by Exeter » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:05 pm

areyouinsane wrote:
I don't want to work there. Quite honestly, I was not impressed by many of the big NJ firms. More mid-sized firms tended to produce higher quality work.
LOL right you are! We used to scroll thru the McCarter associate bios while I was temping there, and most of these mouth breathers are from laughable garbage schools like Seton Hall/NYLS, and got hired because their Daddies work there or their Daddies are federal judges, CEOs, or other "grease" and nepotism. Or they're bottom of the classers from "real" law schools like NYU who got dinged by the NYC biglaw firms and had to ride the PATH out to NJ with their tail between their legs and take a gig at this ghetto-assed dump.

Their offices are also very outdated and borderline embarrassing for a "big" firm. They don't even have their own cafeteria. It's a 1970s era building and the associates share offices. There's one really fat partner who I used to ride the elevator with a lot- he always had a huge hoagie from Subway and mowed it right in the elevator, like something out of a comedy movie or whatever. The lawyers there also dress poorly and are mostly total slobs.

Here's a funny story: I was temping on the big Seroquel case there back in 2008. McCarter was apparently in major trouble before that case came in and the firm was in danger of splitting up. So they poached a partner from a "real" firm and she had a relative at Astra-Zeneca who gave McCarter the doc review portion of the litigation (all the "real" work like motions, objections etc was done in NYC by I think White & Case- you couldn't trust the mouth-breathers at McCarter with anything important LOL). This broad apparently got a big cut of the action from bringing in that case- she was made instant partner and got a limo to work, etc. I saw her once and she was kinda hot in a cougar sort of way.

So McCarter (after landing the doc review) rented off-site space at the US Customs Building across from SH Law and fired up the project. 90% of the coders were SH or Rutgers grads- it was like a class reunion! I got called on a Sunday and was hired over the phone - they said "just show up there 8 am Monday." Back then all you needed was bar admission and a pulse to get these gigs (pulse optional).

So anyway, after a couple months we got to a portion of the doc review where the European docs showed up: stuff was in Swedish, Danish, German, etc. So McCarter hired outside non-lawyer translators to read us the docs so we could decide if they were responsive or not. These translators were some real characters: there was a semi-blind old Japanese woman we called "Yoko Ono" and this incredibly good looking Danish underwear model named Lucas. I was assigned to work with Lucas and all the chicks were ga-ga and asking me "what's he like" and "I'd bone him right here on this desk" and stuff like that.

Lucas, however, "played for the other team." He was always talking about his "partner" and their pad in Chelsea and stuff like that. He also told me that in Denmark an employer would be imprisoned for the kind of shit working conditions McCarter gave us. We literally worked in a converted janitor's closet- there was a "slop sink" in the corner and shelves full of trash bags, floor cleaner, etc. They made a desk for us by putting a 4X8 sheet of plywood on top of 2 sawhorses. We sat in metal folding chairs. I learned quite a bit of Danish from him too. If I was gay I'd def. want a partner like him. He told me he turned gay b/c he got tired of sleeping with hot chicks after awhile because it came so easy for him. Seriously, this guy could walk into a bar and chicks would ditch Derek Jeter to hang w/ this dood.

So anyway, the translators were treated like VIPs compared to us shitlaw temps, since they spoke rare and "exotic" languages and were not very easily replaced. They also got paid a LOT more than us: they were getting 55-75 an hour, and none of them were even lawyers or JDs, just translators. They got car rides home (and the blind lady Yoko Ono even got led into the room by an associate each day b/c she could only see "sideways," apparently). My buddy Holbs had to work with her and she was always having him tilt the screen and rub her neck & stuff like that. She was from Kyoto originally and spoke like 10 other languages besides Japanese. She hardly got any work done because as I said she was pretty much blind, and also she wrote everyone's names in Japanese with those fancy paintbrush-type pens and made little cards & oragamis for people to take home. She was a very nice woman.

McCarter even brought them in these awesome box lunches each day from a gourmet caterer in Jersey City. These swanky lunchboxes had proscuttio and mozz. sandwiches, bottles of Perrier water, a fresh apple & orange, and those exotic potato chips that are all purple and shit.

It was funny watching them all go to the conference room and pick up their grub everyday while we worked right alongside them and got jack shit- we usually ate at the crummy overpriced McDonald's inside Newark Penn Station. Lucas was always like "if you guys are really lawyers, why don't you get a box lunch like us?" I told him that we were just temps and went to shitty schools so they had no need to treat us like anything other than garbage. He found America very interesting and said he was gonna tell everyone in Denmark about how weird life here is. He took pictures of the janitor closet we worked in with his Iphone and sent them to friends back home, and none of them belived he was really working in such squalor. Sometimes if he wasn't too hungry he'd share his box lunch with me, or at least give me the apple or the chips, etc.

Best post ever! I literally laughed out loud.

renee15

New

Post by renee15 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:45 pm

Hello all,
Just thought I would throw this out there. I am selling a few study aids/outlines. Drop me an email if anyone wants any.

--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:13 pm

Hey everyone... I just am looking at Rutgers-Newark very closely now considering my numbers (3.11 GPA from top lib. arts school/158 LSAT), my girlfriend (works in NYC currently and would like to move in together) and work experience in NYC at a NLJ250 (former paralegal at Curtis). Can you just give some quick insight on Rutgers? How is it for the NYC and CT markets? Does it carry well? Do you really enjoy the school thus far? What are my chances at getting in? What are the biggest negatives?

Any insight is greatly, greatly appreciated!

RU12345

New

Deferred from RU

Post by RU12345 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:39 pm

So I was deferred the other day from RU- Newark. I wrote up a LOCI and sent it in, and I'm having another professor send a LOR directly to the school so it gets in quicker.

What do you think my shots are? There isn't much on forums about people getting deferred and then later getting admitted..

152 LSAT - 3.98 GPA - Rutgers Undergrad - In State - Applied Part Time

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:20 pm

iceicebaby wrote:Hey everyone... I just am looking at Rutgers-Newark very closely now considering my numbers (3.11 GPA from top lib. arts school/158 LSAT), my girlfriend (works in NYC currently and would like to move in together) and work experience in NYC at a NLJ250 (former paralegal at Curtis). Can you just give some quick insight on Rutgers? How is it for the NYC and CT markets? Does it carry well? Do you really enjoy the school thus far? What are my chances at getting in? What are the biggest negatives?

Any insight is greatly, greatly appreciated!
Biggest negative in my opinion is that Rutgers is not a T20 school. You will be competing with people like me for jobs in NJ..people that went to a T14 and happen to live in NJ, and want to work in NJ.
I turned down a scholly last year at Rutgers for a T14. Maybe you can retake and get your lsat score up.
Just my opinion.. I have no idea how hiring really occurs.

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:04 am

Hey all, I'm looking for a summer sublet. If anyone has anything available, please PM me. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”