Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Justathought

Silver

Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Post by Justathought » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:20 pm

Well, Ive made up my mind. Attending Rutgers Newark unless W&M comes through with an offer.

I'm very happy with the choice too, Rutgers seems like a solid school in my home region, and is certainly a great value when compared to peer schools. Started this thread for other members of the class of 2014 / 2015. Looking forward to meeting everyone in the coming months. :D

Paulzilla

New

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Post by Paulzilla » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:54 pm

Thanks for starting this thread!

I'm almost certainly attending too, and I'm very excited. What are your plans for housing?

surfparks6

New

Post by surfparks6 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:48 am

I believe I'll be here as well. Thanks for the photos and all the comments. I'm sure to have more questions / comments as things get closer.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:06 am

Paulzilla wrote:Thanks for starting this thread!

I'm almost certainly attending too, and I'm very excited. What are your plans for housing?
I'm going to live in Hoboken, I think. Can't really stomach the idea of living in a dorm, so I plan on looking for a roommate around June, I guess. Whatever it takes to get in state tuition. :lol:

simonmulletxcore

New

Post by simonmulletxcore » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi!

About 90% sure I'll be attending Rutgers this fall and I'm really excited about it. :mrgreen: Not too sure where I'll be living though I know it won't be the dorms.

Anyone attending the open house on the 25th?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:01 pm

I'll be there. :mrgreen:

cumberland

New

Post by cumberland » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:23 am

Tx for creating this thread. I'll be there the 25th too! Still waiting for my cycle to end but Rutgers is my top option so far.

don_geis

New

Post by don_geis » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:48 am

I'll be there as well. Can't wait!

Was admitted last year, but deferred for a year due to some personal issues. Looking forward to meeting you all.

AmericaninManchuria

New

Post by AmericaninManchuria » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:45 am

Glad to see a class of '14 thread! I will definitely be attending and commuting from the Orange area.

I saw a facebook group for part time, but not ft yet. Does anyone know when we get our email accounts and all the fun stuff?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:38 pm

AmericaninManchuria wrote:Glad to see a class of '14 thread! I will definitely be attending and commuting from the Orange area.

I saw a facebook group for part time, but not ft yet. Does anyone know when we get our email accounts and all the fun stuff?
No idea, but I did get an email from the SBA recently, and the admitted students event on the 25th should provide a wealth of information. I'm really looking forward to that.

simonmulletxcore

New

Post by simonmulletxcore » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:03 pm

I went to one of the informal group meetings today and sat in a criminal law class. It was pretty interesting for the most part, Dean Walton was really helpful and Nicky Fornarotto (the financial director) was extremely helpful and the sweetest lady ever. :) I was really impressed with how nice the staff were. They really made me feel welcome and were upfront about things such as scarce scholarship money this year. They also stressed that they'd do all they can to work on each individual's case if you need help with financial aid, housing, etc.

I realized when I visited that I've been in this building before to take a GRE so I felt stupid for not realizing that haha.

Overall I found the meeting helpful and the criminal law class was interesting. It was on the topic of rape but I got confused as I didn't have the book or knew exactly what cases were being discussed so I just listened and observed everyone. The Professor seemed pretty laid back, he called on people but wasn't harsh and he cracked a few jokes during the class as well.

The only downside was that the other admitted students at the group meeting seemed really serious and didn't want to talk or interact so I just felt awkward since I was the only one smiling during the meeting and stuff. But maybe I'm immature. :oops: Oops.

AmericaninManchuria

New

Post by AmericaninManchuria » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:49 am

Unfriendliness is not cool. I would have been smiling too

Does anyone know if they adjust scholarships after the first year? I know all of their scholarships have requirements to maintain that set amount during 2L and 3L, butdo those w/o scholarships during 1L get offers if their 1L grades merit one and/or do those who already have scholarships potentially get an increased scholarship offer based on their grades?

simonmulletxcore

New

Post by simonmulletxcore » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:22 pm

AmericaninManchuria wrote:Unfriendliness is not cool. I would have been smiling too

Does anyone know if they adjust scholarships after the first year? I know all of their scholarships have requirements to maintain that set amount during 2L and 3L, butdo those w/o scholarships during 1L get offers if their 1L grades merit one and/or do those who already have scholarships potentially get an increased scholarship offer based on their grades?

I don't know about increases and stuff but from what I was told at the meeting by Nicky in financial aid, after 1st semester you can apply for institutional scholarships and merit as well. She had said they also send you info throughout the year with scholarships that become available and that you should have a resume, transcript, and essay ready to quickly apply for those since there's a lot of competition.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AmericaninManchuria

New

Post by AmericaninManchuria » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:02 pm

Okay, thanks. That's good to know.

ianpliberty

New

Post by ianpliberty » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm definitely attending too! Unfortunately I can't make the open house at the end of March. I'm trying to avoid dorming at all costs so if anyone is looking for roommates feel free to reach out.

Isabella23

New

Post by Isabella23 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Will also be attending starting this summer (part time program), can't wait to start!!! Congrats to all of you and hello to the end of our social lives as we know it lol :lol:

NJLawGirl520

New

Post by NJLawGirl520 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:38 pm

I just got accepted to the MSP, so I will be attending as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ChiCity22

New

Post by ChiCity22 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:04 pm

I'm strongly leaning towards attending, hopefully I'l be able to make up my mind after the ASD.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:53 pm

NJLawGirl520 wrote:I just got accepted to the MSP, so I will be attending as well.
Me too, pretty excited about the potential opportunity, slightly discouraged by some things I've heard about the program. Check out the acceptances thread, a current student wrote about it.

Overall, I still think its a good program, and will likely absorb any negative aspects for the prospect of extra help and a 1L internship.

Isabella23

New

Post by Isabella23 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:46 pm

NJLawGirl520 wrote:I just got accepted to the MSP, so I will be attending as well.
+1 :D

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:48 am

2010 MSP Program Summer Internship Sponsors:

The 2010 Summer Internship Program is supported by the City of Elizabeth Law Department; day pitney llp; Drinker, Biddle & Reath LLP; Goldman Sachs & Company; Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP; Lite DePalma Greenberg, LLC; Lowenstein Sandler PC; Moody’s Investor Services; Morris County Bar Foundation; Porzio, Bromberg & Newman, P.C.; Prudential Insurance Company; and Sills Cummis Epstein & Gross, PC.

Wouldn't mind a 1L summer internship with some of these employers! :shock:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NJLawGirl520

New

Post by NJLawGirl520 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:59 pm

Justathought wrote:
Me too, pretty excited about the potential opportunity, slightly discouraged by some things I've heard about the program. Check out the acceptances thread, a current student wrote about it.

Overall, I still think its a good program, and will likely absorb any negative aspects for the prospect of extra help and a 1L internship.
Yeah, I saw that and I have talked to someone in the program and I just feel that any help is better than anything and I can't determine if its going to be worth my time until I actually enter the program.

Isabella23

New

Post by Isabella23 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:28 pm

Does anyone know if the MSP orientation (Aug 1st-12th) will be during the day for part time students as well? Or will part time students have their evening hours for the orientation?

surfparks6

New

Post by surfparks6 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:28 pm

+1

AmericaninManchuria

New

Post by AmericaninManchuria » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:57 am

I know Rutgers doesn't rank students until graduation, but I was wondering if anyone knew if they still post the grades and make them public...?

Also does anyone know how students are accepted to Law Review? Are they automatically admitted based on grades or is it grades + a writing competition or something?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”