Cardozo Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
ebl1014

Bronze

Re: Cardozo Class of 2014

Post by ebl1014 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:54 pm

Hey everybody! I'm on board to start in the fall and am very excited about it. Quick question to those of you starting the housing process- am I crazy to think that I might be able to find a two bedroom within a twenty minute walk of the school for $2500 or less?

OverDrama

New

Post by OverDrama » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:14 pm

Not necessarily. Especially in the East Village there seems to be some apartments listed for under that. You should still keep in mind that it is still significantly under the average rent for 2 bedrooms in the surrounding areas ( Union Square, East Village, West Village, Flatiron). So you will want to look at places carefully and be prepared to provide money and documentation fast if you find something suitable.

Now if you want to look at 20 mins subway rides away, that gives you more options...

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:17 pm

Like OverDrama said, it's possible but not very likely. I'd say the Village is probably out unless you find something near Alphabet City - which is quite far away. Your best bet if you want to stay within walking distance would probably be Gramercy, but that's not exactly the most happening part of town and even that would require some luck.

Basically Cardozo's location is in the best part of the city. Which is awesome. But for housing, it blows because everything within walking distance is crazy expensive. That's not to say that you can't find a two bedroom within walking distance for under $2500, but I would imagine it would be difficult. (Especially with all the crazy income requirements: 40x rent for tenants, 80x rent for guarantors blah blah blah. It's kind of bullshit, but whatever).

And like OverDrama said, if you're open to the subway, your options increase dramatically.

abonda01

Bronze

Post by abonda01 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:59 pm

How much is the seat deposit due April 15?

ebl1014

Bronze

Post by ebl1014 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:54 pm

$400 due in mid april and $600 may 27 or somewhere around the end of may

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ZFeinberg13

New

Post by ZFeinberg13 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:16 pm

aidez-moi wrote:
katya528 wrote:
OverDrama wrote:Has everyone joined the facebook group yet?
I tried clicking on the link in the email Cardozo sent, but it didn't work =/

Can anyone post a working link here?

& also, anyone applied for loans yet?
Yeah, I joined it. Last I checked there was a whopping 19 of us.

For some reason, the link in the email didn't work when I was signed into facebook, but if I logged out and then clicked the link it took me to the right place. I'm pretty sure I didn't get that backwards...but give that a try
Hey! I'm an admitted student (just paid the first seat deposit, too 8) ) but I never got this email from them. Would someone post a working link for me? Thanks.

ballpop

Bronze

Post by ballpop » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:34 am

Narrowed it down to Cardozo and one other school---leaning towards Cardozo.

Does anyone know how life in The Alabama is? It seems to be ridiculously cheap (6500-7000 for ten months with a roommate in a two bedroom) but how is it? I heard no "overnight guests" etc---do people have to sign in and so on like an undergrad NYU dorm or is it more like an apartment?

ZFeinberg13

New

Post by ZFeinberg13 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:37 am

ballpop wrote:Narrowed it down to Cardozo and one other school---leaning towards Cardozo.

Does anyone know how life in The Alabama is? It seems to be ridiculously cheap (6500-7000 for ten months with a roommate in a two bedroom) but how is it? I heard no "overnight guests" etc---do people have to sign in and so on like an undergrad NYU dorm or is it more like an apartment?
I visited the school a couple weeks ago and checked out the Alabama while I was there. So, take my review for what it's worth since I haven't LIVED there or anything yet. As most people will tell you, the location can't be beat. It's a block and a half away from the school on a pretty, quiet street with TONS of great places all around you. You'd also be just a few block away from Union Square and the Union Square subway stops which will take you anywhere you'd need to go. The supervisor of the Alabama, who gave me the little tour, said that it works basically like an apartment- you have to buzz people in the building. In other words, seedy people aren't exactly waltzing in, but you can still have people over without a tiresome and intrusive sign-in process. About a year and a half ago they redid a lot of the appliances and carpeting in the individual rooms so it is all very clean. The furniture is definitely dorm furniture but certainly livable.

In all honesty, I wasn't very pro-Alabama before my visit but what I saw on the tour really changed my mind about it. If you can, try and pop your head in if you're in or around the NYC area.

tartugas

New

Post by tartugas » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:38 am

Hi all,

I just made my decision official yesterday. I will be starting this fall and I am very excited about my choice. I believe that Cardozo offers a lot that all the other schools in NYC lack. It really stood out to me and I feel fortunate to be able to attend a school that has impressed me so much (and for the record I turned down better schools for Cardozo).

I'm an older student who's lived and worked in NYC for almost 10 years now and would be more than happy to share any insights/tips I've learned over the years.

t

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zdayar

New

Post by zdayar » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:46 pm

tartugas wrote:Hi all,

I just made my decision official yesterday. I will be starting this fall and I am very excited about my choice. I believe that Cardozo offers a lot that all the other schools in NYC lack. It really stood out to me and I feel fortunate to be able to attend a school that has impressed me so much (and for the record I turned down better schools for Cardozo).

I'm an older student who's lived and worked in NYC for almost 10 years now and would be more than happy to share any insights/tips I've learned over the years.
Hello everyone,

I narrowed down my choices to 2 schools and looks like Cardozo will be the winner. I will put my deposit down this Friday after agonizing over it for a few more days. Starting in the Fall. Just like an earlier poster said, I was truly impressed with the school, the faculty and all the clinical opportunities when I visited for ASD in March.

I am also an older student and married and from out-of-state (NC). I am really nervous about finding affordable housing. How should I go about looking for something? Any recommendations? I have visited NYC about once a year for the last 5+ years but always for fun. So not too familiar with all the neighborhoods. I am thinking of coming up by myself for the first semester while my husband tries to sell our house down here. Someone had mentioned furnished rooms for rental in brownstones close to the school. How can I find out about such rooms to rent? Any help/tips for housing would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! And hope to meet you all later this year!!

afc1910

New

Post by afc1910 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:19 am

Kreeble

New

Post by Kreeble » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:09 am

Paid that tuition deposit today! Go `Dozo!

nireca

New

Post by nireca » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:57 pm

deposited yesterday. Dozo! Dozo! Dozo!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ebl1014

Bronze

Post by ebl1014 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:53 pm

If anyone is not living in The Alabama/is considering living off campus and is looking for a roommate then please PM me! I have a small dog (see avatar... though he no longer climbs in the dishwasher) and am looking for a roommate for an August 1st lease.

Kreeble

New

Post by Kreeble » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Since I'm bored as hell watching the lack of posts in this thread, I'll ask if there is an actual facebook group floating around somewhere?

ZFeinberg13

New

Post by ZFeinberg13 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:05 am

Kreeble wrote:Since I'm bored as hell watching the lack of posts in this thread, I'll ask if there is an actual facebook group floating around somewhere?

A few people, (myself included,) have been asking in these threads if there's a facebook group for Cardozo's Class of 2014. I didn't see any, so I just made one up! The only other member so far is the dubious "Car Dozo," (I had to invite someone to create the group.) Anyway, I've never used the groups feature on facebook before so I don't know exactly what it will be, but feel free to join.

Cardozo School of Law Class of 2014:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 7928912301

Kreeble

New

Post by Kreeble » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:27 pm

Requested! Thanks for taking the initiative. I thought about it myself, but didn't want to seem overly enthusiastic :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ZFeinberg13

New

Post by ZFeinberg13 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:06 pm

ZFeinberg13 wrote:
Kreeble wrote:Since I'm bored as hell watching the lack of posts in this thread, I'll ask if there is an actual facebook group floating around somewhere?

A few people, (myself included,) have been asking in these threads if there's a facebook group for Cardozo's Class of 2014. I didn't see any, so I just made one up! The only other member so far is the dubious "Car Dozo," (I had to invite someone to create the group.) Anyway, I've never used the groups feature on facebook before so I don't know exactly what it will be, but feel free to join.

Cardozo School of Law Class of 2014:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 7928912301
hours after this was created, Cardozo sent out an email with the OFFICIAL Cardozo fb group...

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gr ... 6126474366

holidayfromreal

New

Post by holidayfromreal » Wed May 11, 2011 11:19 am

Any may student (or someone currently in the city) want to buy my elements book (it's highlighted but in great condition and I got an A so hopefully my highlighting is good). Message me if you're interested. I'm trying to sell it before I move at the end of may

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:23 am

So any advice May students? Things you wished you knew before you started?

bmshis

New

Post by bmshis » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:20 pm

I am a 3L Cardozo student looking to sublet my room in my apartment starting any time before the beginning of school for a law student who wishes to live with a 3L at Cardozo. The lease goes through next August, ending September 1st. I would appreciate an interested person assuming the remainder of my lease as a sublessor. The apartment is on 27th street and 2nd avenue in Manhattan (Murray Hill) and has a balcony, a doorman, package service and an elevator. The apartment is a large converted 1 BR with an excellent kitchen, bathroom and living room. Please email me at bmshisler@gmail.com if you are interested. I pay between 1300 and 1400 a month for the apartment and all utilities (including cable) depending upon the electricity usage.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Any Cardozo peeps from this thread still around? Could really use some help..

OverDrama

New

Post by OverDrama » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:30 pm

What do you require?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Ah so sorry didnt see the reply.

Sterk. Property. Exams. Are there any on your guys exam bank? Have lots of exams/outlines if you would need anything..

DrakeTempt

New

Post by DrakeTempt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:03 pm

How does Cardozo surpass Fordham in rankings? I'm ready to destroy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”