Ole Miss Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Knuckles

New

Ole Miss Class of 2014

Post by Knuckles » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:52 pm

We did not have a thread.

Now we do.

mpj_3050

Bronze

Re: Ole Miss Class of 2014

Post by mpj_3050 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:55 pm

I take it you are officially enrolling? I just wish they could waive my OOS for the 1st year.

Knuckles

New

Post by Knuckles » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:24 pm

Yup. I'm mailing in my seat deposit soon.

I'd stay on the lookout for a waiver... funding gets shifted around as people make up their minds as to which school they will attend. I happen to be a Mississippi native, so I've never researched how apt they are to give waivers, but I know a lot of scholarship decisions take place later in the cycle so don't abandon hope yet.

jaymaynard

Bronze

Post by jaymaynard » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:46 pm

I'm in here, but wont strongly consider without an OOS tuition waiver

Knuckles

New

Post by Knuckles » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:20 pm

Does anyone have any updates about those OOS waivers? I'd hate to be the sole TLS-lurker in my entering class (although the gunner in me loves the possible lack of completely informed competition).

I received a scholarship for half the sticker price which makes my debt burden way more manageable, especially considering Ole Miss is already a bang-for-your-buck school. It would be phenomenal to see something else trickle down my way once seat deposits go in and money gets shuffled around, but I'm happy with what I've got so far for sure; I honestly wasn't certain that I was going to get anything at all. Seeing a light at the end of the application tunnel is awesome.

PS: For those of you who haven't seen the new law building, it is quite beautiful; I know people in the law school community at large are sick of hearing about it, but the darn thing looks pretty sweet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jdl239

New

Post by jdl239 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:51 pm

got accepted yesterday!

I am going to have a hard time choosing between Ole Miss and Miss College w/ $$$. My fiance is in Jackson doing medical school. I know you are not supposed to let a chick get in the way of your decision. And I know Ole Miss is the better of the two schools. If it wasn't for her, there would be no decision at all. It would be Ole Miss all the way! Any advise guys?

Knuckles

New

Post by Knuckles » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:52 pm

First off, forgive any typos... on my shitty phone.

I am also in a ltr, but luckily my significant other will be here for my first year. After that, though, you and I will be dealing with the same distance issue.

The way I see it, we will both be too busy for distance to matter much. It might actually work out for the best. you will have law on the brain and she'll be all about medicine. Commit to each other finish school, reap the benefits.

This what skype is for.

atlantisdan

New

Post by atlantisdan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:06 pm

I think it really depends on your individual relationship. There is no one size fits all approach to this. Some people are very comfortable apart, others need that closeness often. Just depends on what each of you is comfortable with. I agree Ole Miss is the better School, but having visited both, MC with $ and your girl may be more attractive.

The most important thing is what being apart will do to your emotional state of mind. If you go to Ole Miss but are concentrating on her or are unhappy and missing her, then your studies will suffer.

If she is just a blip on the radar, its easy to leave her elsewhere, but since you have made a lifetime decision to be with her, I'd definately consider this decision heavily.

atlantisdan

New

Post by atlantisdan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:02 am

I expect to know Monday if I am joining you guys or not. I really hope that I am.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knuckles

New

Post by Knuckles » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:53 pm

atlantisdan wrote:I expect to know Monday if I am joining you guys or not. I really hope that I am.
*makes one thousand paper cranes for atlantisdan*

Keep us informed! Best of luck to you, really.

atlantisdan

New

Post by atlantisdan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:13 am

Thanks!

jdl239

New

Post by jdl239 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:58 am

Rankings came out today and Ole Miss is just sitting outside the top 100 at 107. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is an improvment right?? :D

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:26 pm

Holla back atcha potential fellow Rebels! I got my official acceptance letter on Friday. I say "official" because I got an email on Thursday informing me of an extension on the seat deposit deadline. I guess they miscalculated how fast it would take the post to travel from Mississippi to upstate New York.

I'll be honest, I'm not completely locked into attending Ole Miss just yet. I'm probably going to choose Ole Miss over Mizzou (which I was just accepted into today) but I'm still holding out and hoping to hear back from Utah and ASU. The only other school I applied to was Alabama but I applied after the deadline (I wasn't expecting my LSAT scores to improve so drastically from the first time I took it) and I'm not really expecting to get in there by any stretch of the imagination. But my parents are alumni so I felt obligated to at least try.

Anyone know much about the program and the school and all? I'm an out-of-state student and I'm not going to get a chance to visit before I come down there if I accept.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Knuckles

New

Post by Knuckles » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:04 pm

Yeah samaside, if there's anything you want to know just holler; I went/am going to Ole Miss for undergrad, so Oxford is my second home.

If you come from a very big city you might be in for a shock but, otherwise, most people tend to get comfortable with Oxford quickly.

lukew64

New

Post by lukew64 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 am

Looking forward to being in class with you guys.

awsiler

New

Post by awsiler » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:15 am

how long did it take you guys to get a decision? Also, what are your numbers? I applied, but not sure how I stand for possible admission. Good LSAT, but GPA isn't stellar. Mississippi native

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:57 am

160 / 3.61 PBK

I think I applied on the last day of the deadline or pretty close to it and I heard back this past Friday. Well, I got an email telling me the seat deposit deadline had been extended on that Thursday so technically I found out on Thursday?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Knuckles

New

Post by Knuckles » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:21 pm

LSAT: 159
GPA: 3.63

I applied in January and heard back in February. I am in-state and an Ole Miss undergrad. I've received a scholarship of 5,000 a year so far.

lukew64

New

Post by lukew64 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:30 pm

I had a 159 LSAT, 3.26 with a strong upward trend (last two years have been 4.08 LSAC), and am out of state. I applied November 3 and had a decision on December 8th. They just extended the application deadline, which sounds to me like the class isn't full yet. You've got time. :D

awsiler

New

Post by awsiler » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:52 am

lukew64 wrote:I had a 159 LSAT, 3.26 with a strong upward trend (last two years have been 4.08 LSAC), and am out of state. I applied November 3 and had a decision on December 8th. They just extended the application deadline, which sounds to me like the class isn't full yet. You've got time. :D
This makes me feel better :)

rehtulx

New

Post by rehtulx » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:37 pm

Anyone have any luck getting a stipend to go to open house or accepted student day?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CAnn

New

Post by CAnn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:46 pm

I have finally decided that I will be joining you guys at Ole Miss in August.... I've been to Oxford to look at condos/apartments several times and most of the places I like are 3br, which means getting a roommate. But, I don't know anyone who is not already in Oxford with a place to live. The law school said something about a roommate matching thing but I don't want to just be stuck with anyone. Does anyone have any info about that or how the roommate matching thing will work?

jdl239

New

Post by jdl239 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:42 pm

CAnn wrote:I have finally decided that I will be joining you guys at Ole Miss in August.... I've been to Oxford to look at condos/apartments several times and most of the places I like are 3br, which means getting a roommate. But, I don't know anyone who is not already in Oxford with a place to live. The law school said something about a roommate matching thing but I don't want to just be stuck with anyone. Does anyone have any info about that or how the roommate matching thing will work?
I am actually starting in august too. My dad and I are buying a house right off campus for an investment property. Right now I dont have anyone lined up to live with me. But I will be looking for a roommate. I would like to have a law/grad student that understands the amount of studying I need to get done. Unfortunatly i can not make it to the law day in april to meet you guys. If you are interested,. PM me.
Last edited by jdl239 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:50 pm

I will hopefully know in a couple weeks if I am coming down from New York to join you folks. I am still holding out for a couple other schools but I think I have decided that its Ole Miss over Mizzou. Unless Mizzou surprises me financially. My mom has already forbidden me from bringing anything Ole Miss into the house. :P

Clemson11

New

Post by Clemson11 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:36 pm

Applied reallyyyyy late, early February I believe! 3.4 GPA and 163 from Clemson University, major in Philosophy. Status was updated 3/29 to "Admission Decision Mailed." I've read a number of different things on this thread, but was wondering if I am doomed for a "ding" letter. Have any of the recent admits or rejects (sorry for the harsh terminology) recieved an e-mail or phone call, or has the good news arrived only by snail mail? I also see that at the top of the Application Status Checker page it says that the deposit deadline is 4/14, 4/1 for scholarship recipients. Does this indicate a decision? Thanks, I hope I get in but if not, it's between Tennessee or Penn State.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”