University of San Diego 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
roomonfire

New

Re: University of San Diego 2014

Post by roomonfire » Sun May 01, 2011 8:22 pm

Anyone have any resources for finding housing around San Diego? I've been clicking through craigslist and a couple of the San Diego newpaper classifieds, but there seems to be very little available, at least in what I'm hoping to be my price range. I'm coming from the northeast, so I'm trying to make a flight out there in early June to try and find a place to live, hoping to move for the beginning of August. I know I read some mention of a board on the USD website, but I can't find it, or maybe it's not up yet. What are other people doing about finding housing?

caligulove

New

Post by caligulove » Mon May 02, 2011 12:32 am

I've put my name on the housing list, but that seems like a pricey and unlikely option. Is anyone interested in renting a house near campus? I'm moving from Canada and I'm looking to share a house that's dog friendly. PM if anyone is interested!

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:52 am

roomonfire wrote:Anyone have any resources for finding housing around San Diego? I've been clicking through craigslist and a couple of the San Diego newpaper classifieds, but there seems to be very little available, at least in what I'm hoping to be my price range. I'm coming from the northeast, so I'm trying to make a flight out there in early June to try and find a place to live, hoping to move for the beginning of August. I know I read some mention of a board on the USD website, but I can't find it, or maybe it's not up yet. What are other people doing about finding housing?
the housing board for students doesn't go up until june, according to admissions. have you been looking at ocean beach, pacific beach, linda vista, mission valley? these seem to be the cheapest. what were you hoping to be your price range? i think it seems like the typical 2 bedroom goes for about $1400-$1800, which is not bad at all (but coming from nyc, i may have a much different perspective of what's cheap rent)... $700 a month, and a lot of those places include a community pool/jacuzzi/gym/bbq area, etc...

brangara

New

Post by brangara » Mon May 02, 2011 12:09 pm

Hey, I'm looking for a female roomie for a 2 bdrm-2 bath apartment (so you'd get your own room, closet, etc). Looking at complexes that are close to campus, cost would be split on a $1700-1900 apartment. Send me a message if you're interested!
Last edited by brangara on Mon May 02, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roomonfire

New

Post by roomonfire » Mon May 02, 2011 12:31 pm

smittelman6 wrote:
roomonfire wrote:Anyone have any resources for finding housing around San Diego? I've been clicking through craigslist and a couple of the San Diego newpaper classifieds, but there seems to be very little available, at least in what I'm hoping to be my price range. I'm coming from the northeast, so I'm trying to make a flight out there in early June to try and find a place to live, hoping to move for the beginning of August. I know I read some mention of a board on the USD website, but I can't find it, or maybe it's not up yet. What are other people doing about finding housing?
the housing board for students doesn't go up until june, according to admissions. have you been looking at ocean beach, pacific beach, linda vista, mission valley? these seem to be the cheapest. what were you hoping to be your price range? i think it seems like the typical 2 bedroom goes for about $1400-$1800, which is not bad at all (but coming from nyc, i may have a much different perspective of what's cheap rent)... $700 a month, and a lot of those places include a community pool/jacuzzi/gym/bbq area, etc...
Yeah I've been looking at listing in ocean/pacifc beach, the various mission areas, and other places mentioned on this board... I was hoping to find a single BR for under $1000, but after looking around I don't see too many things available in that area. I guess now I need to start looking into finding a roommate. I'm hoping I can attend the NYC reception, maybe thats a starting point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

toster19

New

Post by toster19 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:22 pm

Ive been living in PB for 4 years. My first apartment was a 3BR 2.5BA for 2000. Im now living in a 1BR for 995. Theyre definitely out there.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon May 02, 2011 6:23 pm

didn't deposit on friday and withdrew via email today. I had a 38k a year scholarship so hopefully that money gets spread around a bit and some folks get off the waitlist.

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:26 pm

just got this, for those of you waiting...

"In terms of the roommate board, we do not conduct the housing / roommate survey until after second deposit deadline. After that deadline I will send out a survey and give a couple weeks for students to respond. The results will then be posted, typically the first week of July, on a secure site that only our admitted and current law students can access."

This is slightly disappointing, and makes me want to figure out a different way to find a roommate? Why would they wait so long? What does everyone plan on doing...

caligulove

New

Post by caligulove » Thu May 05, 2011 4:10 pm

smittelman6 wrote:just got this, for those of you waiting...

"In terms of the roommate board, we do not conduct the housing / roommate survey until after second deposit deadline. After that deadline I will send out a survey and give a couple weeks for students to respond. The results will then be posted, typically the first week of July, on a secure site that only our admitted and current law students can access."

This is slightly disappointing, and makes me want to figure out a different way to find a roommate? Why would they wait so long? What does everyone plan on doing...
why not just use this board? It is strange that they'd wait so long to tell us. I think I might just have to find a place first then look for a roommate here and elsewhere on the net.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lasingparuparo

New

Post by lasingparuparo » Tue May 10, 2011 2:57 am

I'm all for finding roomies before the damn June deposit! I'm a 24F looking to see if I can find a nice 1L to survive the year with! I'm interested in the Morena Vista apartment complex too! PM me!

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:08 am

I hope everyone has joined the facebook group, as well! It's also a good way to meet other incoming 1Ls and possibly potential roommates. This link should work...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 99789&ap=1

but if not, just PM me your name on fbook and I can send you the invitation :D

crazyventures

New

Post by crazyventures » Tue May 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Submitted my deposit last week and joined the FB group :D

thelibear

New

Post by thelibear » Wed May 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Did you all get the email about the flex section? This program really appeals to me because I don't function super well in the morning, but I'm not sure if it looks poorly on your record to be in this program rather than the traditional one.

Does anybody have any thoughts about this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

toster19

New

Post by toster19 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:47 pm

Im fairly certain it will never show up on transcripts or any school documents really.

lasingparuparo

New

Post by lasingparuparo » Wed May 11, 2011 10:13 pm

I was also thinking about it (no class on fridays?!) but i feel like the solidarity of the 1L class would be a little lost if you were on a different schedule and I feel like those relationships are important for the rest of law school and networking afterwards so I opted for the traditional schedule, hope this helps!

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:51 pm

i got the e-mail, too. while no class on fridays definitely appeals to the undergrad-sophomore-alcoholic in me, i don't know that it's the smartest decision one could make in law school. besides the connections/friendships point, which i completely agree with, apparently the curve in that section is fucked. about a month ago i asked one of the 1Ls on this board about it and this is what he said:

AVOID FLEX at alllll costs. Yea it sounds amazing to not have early classes/friday classes, but it screws you in the end for a couple reasons.
1. There is only one good teacher who teaches classes to the flex students. Sure he is the best professor at the schoo, but totally not worth the shit teachers you get stuck with for the other classes

2. You end up beiong curved againt the part time students for half of your classes. I cannot stress how big of a deal this is. Had you told me this a year ago I really wouldnt have cared because its sorta hard to grasp how signifficant it is if you arent yet in law school. Sure some of the evening kids have families and full time jobs that keep them from having a ton of time, but you'll find that most of them are in your exact same position, except they're only taking half of the classes you are. This means that while you're busy studying for 4 finals theyre studying for 2. Since only 20% of the class is allowed to get A's, most of them go to those kids who are able to focus solely on those two classes. This means there's only a couple As available for the flex kids to get while the rest go to evening students. Since the evening students arent thrown in and ranked with the other kids, all the flex students end up with average GPAs lower that their full time counterparts in other sections. Essentially you jsut get screwed

3. All the classes that people actually desire to take their 2L year start early, so you may as well get yourself in the frame of mind to be up and moving in the morning. Addittionally, sometimes you have finals at 8:30 in the morning for classes that dont start till 2:30 in the afternoon (thanks civil procedure) so it sucks to have to be here that early when 5 days beforehand you had never even seen what the world looked like in the morning time

... just my fifteen cents.

thelibear

New

Post by thelibear » Wed May 11, 2011 11:52 pm

That was really helpful, thank you! I knew it was too good to be true, I just wasn't sure what the catch was...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crazyventures

New

Post by crazyventures » Wed May 11, 2011 11:56 pm

Thanks for bringing that info over...it definitely doesn't sound like something I'd want to do !

homerless

New

Post by homerless » Thu May 12, 2011 12:20 am

hmmm... so if you are part time to begin with, it's not that bad a deal, outside of the (ahem) "other" teachers

lawyered2014

New

Post by lawyered2014 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:10 pm

I put my deposit down! San Diego here I come (back)! Just so you all know - I choose USD because of its proximity to my favorite pizza place. :D

princessannie888

New

Post by princessannie888 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:44 pm

When is the second deposit deadline ! :roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thelibear

New

Post by thelibear » Thu May 12, 2011 5:29 pm

second deposit is due june 1st! I sent mine in today :)

homerless

New

Post by homerless » Thu May 12, 2011 9:19 pm

Dang it, deposit time again? I'm going to have put a kidney up on eBay.

I actually went in for Flex Section too btw.

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:45 am

hahaha agreed about the kidney. they said they are sending out forms this week for us to fill out with our second deposit, so i'm just waiting on that. some of you may have gotten these already? it's pretty lonely here on the east coast...

homerless

New

Post by homerless » Fri May 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Yup. Got mine yesterday. And here I was thinking it was some kind of award letter (sigh).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”