Vanderbilt Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Grizz

Diamond

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2014

Post by Grizz » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:08 pm

SilverE2 wrote:I was hoping to get George as I read good things. Opinions on these teachers?

Reg State: Bressman
Civ Pro: Wuerth
Contracts: Haley
Bressman is cool, but reg state is something you either love or you don't.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:00 pm

SilverE2 wrote:I was hoping to get George as I read good things. Opinions on these teachers?

oh noooo... contracts with Haley at 8am on friday? sorry bro. Dean Bressman is by far one of, if not the, best professor at our school so take that as consolation. Don't know who Wuerth is.. usually on Sherry and Fitzpatrick teach civ pro.

ktg808

Bronze

Post by ktg808 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:22 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:

oh noooo... contracts with Haley at 8am on friday? sorry bro. Dean Bressman is by far one of, if not the, best professor at our school so take that as consolation. Don't know who Wuerth is.. usually on Sherry and Fitzpatrick teach civ pro.

:|

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:28 pm

ktg808 wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

Haha.. in the interest of full disclosure I never had Haley. That said, I have heard mostly bad things. Not about him personally - everyone seems to like him - but they dislike his teaching style. Couple that with 8am on Friday (any class would suck at that time) and you have got a shitty experience. A few people really seemed to love him and his class though so maybe youll get lucky and be one of those people. Also, the dude wears a bowtie daily and smokes an old-school pipe.. this nets him a lot of respect from people like.. well.. me.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:40 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
ktg808 wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

Haha.. in the interest of full disclosure I never had Haley. That said, I have heard mostly bad things. Not about him personally - everyone seems to like him - but they dislike his teaching style. Couple that with 8am on Friday (any class would suck at that time) and you have got a shitty experience. A few people really seemed to love him and his class though so maybe youll get lucky and be one of those people. Also, the dude wears a bowtie daily and smokes an old-school pipe.. this nets him a lot of respect from people like.. well.. me.
Oh no. :( Does he have a reputation for being very difficult or what?

And as to weurth...if she's a new professor, does that mean bad news from a practice exam point of view?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:49 pm

SilverE2 wrote: Oh no. :( Does he have a reputation for being very difficult or what?

And as to weurth...if she's a new professor, does that mean bad news from a practice exam point of view?
Not difficult necessarily. Its hard to say since I've never had him so I will refrain from commenting any further and allow someone who has had him to chime in.

I think she IS a new professor. I have never had a new hire so I can't tell you from personal experience but my guess is if she has taught the class before shell have old exams from her old school available for you. If not you can always get old exams from other professors. Be glad you dont have fitzpatrick and his ridiculously hard final - the only one I have ever seen that had footnotes in the fact pattern that were very relevant to your answer..

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:52 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
ktg808 wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

For the record, I loved Professor Haley. I think the students who didn't like his teaching style were the students that need a "right" answer. Professor Haley rarely provided an answer, and would often add twists and turns, or random facts, to cases in order to force students to analyze the material differently than how they had prepared; and, (in my opinion) this style frustrated the younger overachievers who were used to being right. But once again, I really enjoyed his class. He has a grandfatherly way of teaching, and you will hear at least one new story about the judge who wrote the opinion, or about his experience, in nearly every class. I do agree that 8:00 am on Friday sucks, though. And he does have enough bow ties to wear a different one each day of the year.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:53 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
SilverE2 wrote: Oh no. :( Does he have a reputation for being very difficult or what?

Not difficult necessarily. Its hard to say since I've never had him so I will refrain from commenting any further and allow someone who has had him to chime in.

I think she IS a new professor. I have never had a new hire so I can't tell you from personal experience but my guess is if she has taught the class before shell have old exams from her old school available for you. If not you can always get old exams from other professors. Be glad you dont have fitzpatrick and his ridiculously hard final - the only one I have ever seen that had footnotes in the fact pattern that were very relevant to your answer..
Ok great, thanks so much. I guess its a fair tradeoff with the other sections :)

vandypride

New

Post by vandypride » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:52 pm

Wuerth is the director of the Vandy International Law Program and director of the Transnational Journal. She usually teaches U.S. Foreign Affairs, and sometimes Con Law, I think. She joined Vandy's faculty in 2007.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:11 pm

Any idea how big sections are? I hope to god mine is 64 people.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:49 pm

Any advice/opinions on these profs?
Civ Pro with Sherry
Torts with Seymore
Legal Writing with Sowards
Reg State with Stack

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:48 pm

akili wrote:Any advice/opinions on these profs?
Civ Pro with Sherry
Torts with Seymore
Reg State with Stack
I think you likely got the best lot in terms of interesting. Sherry is brilliant, and teaches the gunner Fed Courts class most years. Getting to know her know can help later with recommendations etc. Seymore is a funny guy, brilliant, teaches Chemistry on campus, invited to teach at MIT for chem in the spring, and teaches the patent law stuff besides torts. Stack is also in Sherry's class, but WAY more entertaining. He literally runs around the classroom and also teaches admin (which is basically reg state 2).

P.S. Rubin is awful. Literally the smartest person I've ever met. But awful. I did know one person who enjoyed him, but generally everyone hated going to class as they were snooze fests. Also, Republicans particularly disliked it because he hates on Scalia and Thomas hardcore. I don't think whether you like Reg State will matter though in whether you like his class, as I hated his class but really enjoyed Admin.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:49 pm

Hannibal wrote:Any idea how big sections are? I hope to god mine is 64 people.
Take 193ish and divide by 3. BTW, I'm assuming you know this is the first year they're having 3 sections instead of 2. Should prove interesting.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:22 am

gogators wrote:
akili wrote:Any advice/opinions on these profs?
Civ Pro with Sherry
Torts with Seymore
Reg State with Stack
I think you likely got the best lot in terms of interesting. Sherry is brilliant, and teaches the gunner Fed Courts class most years. Getting to know her know can help later with recommendations etc. Seymore is a funny guy, brilliant, teaches Chemistry on campus, invited to teach at MIT for chem in the spring, and teaches the patent law stuff besides torts. Stack is also in Sherry's class, but WAY more entertaining. He literally runs around the classroom and also teaches admin (which is basically reg state 2).

P.S. Rubin is awful. Literally the smartest person I've ever met. But awful. I did know one person who enjoyed him, but generally everyone hated going to class as they were snooze fests. Also, Republicans particularly disliked it because he hates on Scalia and Thomas hardcore. I don't think whether you like Reg State will matter though in whether you like his class, as I hated his class but really enjoyed Admin.
Thank you! This was really helpful!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:20 pm

How did everyone get a good picture of themselves? I got what I thought was an ok one, but it's nowhere near 256kb.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:28 pm

Hannibal wrote:How did everyone get a good picture of themselves? I got what I thought was an ok one, but it's nowhere near 256kb.
my strategy was to take a good picture then ctrl+print screen, paste into paint, drag and copy what you want, paste into new paint, save as jpeg.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Hannibal wrote:How did everyone get a good picture of themselves? I got what I thought was an ok one, but it's nowhere near 256kb.
I didn't. My picture is awful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:35 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
I didn't. My picture is awful.
*Solidarity knucks*

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:03 pm

I just went on a cruise and they took like a billion pictures every night at dinner so I just used on of those. Hopefully it's ok...

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:55 am

I still haven't done it and they maaaaaaad.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:46 pm

fingersxd wrote:
Haha.. what did they say? Honestly, if they care so much about having a picture they should take it for you... thats the way I felt about it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:49 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
fingersxd wrote:
Haha.. what did they say? Honestly, if they care so much about having a picture they should take it for you... thats the way I felt about it.
Yeah, they sent me a kind of terse email about it the same day they sent me an email telling me I had to do it (since I got all the pre-orientation emails at once). Same thing happened with the financial aid docs.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Hannibal wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:
fingersxd wrote:
Yeah, they sent me a kind of terse email about it the same day they sent me an email telling me I had to do it (since I got all the pre-orientation emails at once). Same thing happened with the financial aid docs.
Just keep sending me annoying "reminder" e-mails. I told them I would do it by Wednesday.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:31 pm

Hannibal wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:
fingersxd wrote:
Just keep sending me annoying "reminder" e-mails. I told them I would do it by Wednesday.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:45 am

Random question to all the new 1Ls. Did admissions give you a packet with apartment listings this year? I know they did my year, and i'm struggling to find a place right now. If you have one, PM me cause I could really use that email. Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”