Albany law 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
legal_eagle

Bronze

Albany law 2014

Post by legal_eagle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:31 am

Is anyone else out there?

legal_eagle

Bronze

Re: Albany law 2014

Post by legal_eagle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:43 pm

did anyone else even apply to albany?

Coll89

New

Post by Coll89 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:19 pm

Last edited by Coll89 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legal_eagle

Bronze

Post by legal_eagle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:36 pm

im not 100% sure i still have to (A)visit the school and (B) wait on other options (aka syracuse) and then (C) make the decision. Did you visit yet?

Coll89

New

Post by Coll89 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:05 pm

I haven't visited yet either. I would like to, but I don't know if I'll have time before I have to make a decision. I'm still waiting to hear from some other schools. I'm considering Syracuse too, actually.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legal_eagle

Bronze

Post by legal_eagle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:22 pm

ASD for albany is March 26th. I'm gonna go check it out and see for myself. I visited syracuse around november last year and i found that i really liked the school. The students were nice and the facilities were really up to date.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:23 pm

I did my undergrad at SUNY Albany; I know the area well (including the law school) and would be happy to answer any quality of life questions you may have.

barklm

New

Post by barklm » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:09 am

Similar to Justathought, I've lived in and around the Albany area my entire life and also did my undergrad at SUNY Albany. I've been inside of Albany Law, took my LSAT there, and have a friend that is going there. I applied largely because it is the only law school I could attend without moving. I was accepted on 2/9 but would prefer something out of state.

I'm available to answer any questions about the area you might have! Housing within Albany, like any city, can be a little tricky in regards to it either being expensive or lacking in quality but if you're willing to commute a little you can get a really nice place in a great neighborhood. We have standard northeastern weather with long winters and beautiful summers. Along these lines, if you are absolutely set on living within the city of Albany make sure you get a place with off-street parking! Otherwise finding a spot can be difficult which is compounded during snow emergencies when they ban parking on certain streets.

legal_eagle

Bronze

Post by legal_eagle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:16 am

how is the area around lark street?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

barklm

New

Post by barklm » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:44 am

Busy! Lark Street happens to be the most popular, in my opinion, bar scene in Albany. Come weekend evenings it is usually flooded with bar hoppers so expect noise. Additionally, on-street parking in this area can be difficult for the same reason.

You'll be close to sandwich shops, pizza parlors, coffee shops, a florist, bars galore, a bicycle shop, gas stations, and the park. The hospital, museum, large concert venues, and highway access are also all within 5-10 minutes from Lark. In this regards its very convenient you just have to account for the noise/parking. (Being near Washington Park can help open up some options but I usually battle for a space on a weekend evening.)

You'd definitely be in the middle of everything! Lark Street is also the home to Albany's major festivals - Tulip Fest, Lark Fest, parades, etc. It's great to have front row seats to these events but traffic can be ridiculous during so plan accordingly! (Make sure you have a parking space and do not move if you don't have to. On these days I would recommend travel by bus.) Given its popularity Lark Street is well situated for the CDTA - the bus line.

Crime in Albany has its ups and downs. I've never had/seen any major problems within the Lark Street area outside of the random bar fight. I would caution about going too far towards Clinton Avenue however. Clinton Avenue is partially within Arbor Hill which is notorious for problems. On Second Street I had a man force his way into my female friend's car - she was not hurt, just shaken by the experience. You'll also see on the crime map that there was a murder on Second Street last week. My best advice is to review the crime maps for the city of Albany to find a safe space where you can feel comfortable; it can really help you get a good idea of where the better neighborhoods are:
--LinkRemoved--

We also have a "safe corridor" that has stepped-up police patrols. You can find those streets here:
http://police.albany.edu/OSC.shtml
It has been shown that the neighborhoods within the corridor experience reduced crime but, as a trade-off, the streets immediately surrounding but not included in the corridor have witnessed an increase.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Lark street is a pretty happening place, but I think living there would be a little bit more expensive than alternative options, and since Albany is such a small city, its easy enough to get to any place in town via bus, cab (they're cheap), or foot.

My last year in Albany I lived on S. Main Avenue. My apartment was big, cost $445 as a share with one roommate, and parking was abundant. I don't recommend living anywhere too many undergraduates congregate - parking is always a nightmare, its always loud at 3am, and there tends to be more crime because the UGs are like walking targets.

I would totally recommend that on your next visit, you check out the area around S. Main and see if you can find any apartments for rent. There are always a few signs up, and the area is ideal if you're looking for a quiet - but in the middle of town - location.

If you're interested in a gym I recommend Best Fitness on Central avenue. Its a little out of the way without a car (it was like a 5 minute drive from my house in the morning), but its big, not crowded most days, the facilities are clean and up to date, and its cheap - 25 bucks a month.

I could go on all day talking about Albany, so if there is anything specific you want to know please just ask.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Oh I almost forgot the most important thing!

Cafe Madison, on Madison Avenue, has the most amazing breakfast/brunch. Go there on a Saturday or Sunday (it gets very crowded on Sundays.)

The place is great and reasonably priced too.

mmmm....raspberry oatmeal pancakes. http://cafe-madison.com/

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:02 pm

Albany Law School plans to reduce the size of its future law school classes (and its budget) according to an article in the National Law Journal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kc2646

New

Post by kc2646 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:46 pm

I've been accepted and am waiting on scholarship money. After working for the Senate this summer, I really like the Capital Region! I am concerned about job opportunities at a T3 school, though Albany Law has a great reputation in its area.. Anyone else?

legal_eagle

Bronze

Post by legal_eagle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:57 pm

Who else is going to admitted students day on march 26th?

Dotson525

New

Post by Dotson525 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:16 am

I am looking into Albany and was wondering what were good and seedy sections of Albany.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:35 pm

Dotson525 wrote:I am looking into Albany and was wondering what were good and seedy sections of Albany.
This is a tricky question to answer, because one street in Albany can be quite nice, and the next street can be quite seedy. In general, uptown Albany, closer to the State University, is very safe and nice all around. Its mostly families there though, and the apartment complexes in the area, though nice, are far removed from any semblance of a social scene.

In midtown Albany, I would generally stay closer to Western, Madison, and New Scotland Avenues. As you get closer to Washington and Central Avenues it gets a little less safe. You should look on Google maps to see what I mean. I lived off of Madison Avenue on S. Main, and the area was quite nice, and very safe - with ample parking I might add. Stay away from blocks in between Quail / Ontario / and N. and S. Lake. In here lies the student ghetto, and it is quite a mess. Filled with undergrads, noisy, no parking, and crime filled since the criminals prey on the undergrads stumbling home from the midtown bars.

Downtown is pricier, and you really have to do a street by street search. Parts of Lark street are very nice, other parts not as nice. Its close to all the best bars and restaurants in the city, but parking is bad. Also, since cabs and buses are cheap in Albany, I've always found its better to just get downtown that way, and only stay for there for the evening's entertainment. The city isn't that big, and traffic is never an issue. You can pretty much get to any part of town in 15 minutes with a car, so you don't need to be worried about being in the thick of the action.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

legal_eagle

Bronze

Post by legal_eagle » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:32 pm

Is anyone going to admitted students day?

@justathought: I saw something about colonie apartments do you know anything about them or the area their in? Im pretty sure there on the colonie part.

barklm

New

Post by barklm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:04 pm

legal_eagle wrote:Is anyone going to admitted students day?

@justathought: I saw something about colonie apartments do you know anything about them or the area their in? Im pretty sure there on the colonie part.
Colonie itself is a fine area but if you're talking about a complex actually called "Colonie Apartments" those are in Amherst ... is there perhaps another complex name you were thinking of?

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:05 pm

Are you asking about a particular complex, or just the Colonie area in general? As for the area, it is a vast sprawling suburb of Albany. It is considered one of the safest towns in America if I'm not mistaken. Lots of families, young professionals, and grad students live in areas of Colonie. Wolf Road is one of the major shopping areas, and houses the Colonie Center - a mid-sized mall which has a Barnes and Nobles, Cheesecake Factory, and megaplex, among other things. Also Crossgates Mall is near by, and that is much bigger - pretty much where all of Albany goes to shop.

At its furthest point (Colonie is big), you should still be able to reach the Albany city center in 20 minutes.

Some people will avoid Colonie like the plague, since it has such a suburban feel. Its very distinct from the small city that Albany is, but its quite nice and not a bad place to live. Apartments there tend to be more updated, since many were built within the last 20 years, as the town expanded. This is unlike Albany, where you might rent an apartment in a 90 year old house. These are distinct locations. Albany is small city, hipster friendly. Colonie is big suburb, soccer mom friendly. Hope this helps.

frgboi139

New

Post by frgboi139 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:49 pm

hey everybody,

i just wanted to post and say i am planning on attending the accepted students reception and i will most likely be attending albany law because i would like to stay in state and closer to home.

does anyone know if there is an appartment complex just for law students that is close to campus?

Also, i started a facebook group for people who make their decision to attend this fall the link is:
http://www.facebook.com/editprofile.php ... 0843982959

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

barklm

New

Post by barklm » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:08 pm

frgboi139 wrote:hey everybody,

i just wanted to post and say i am planning on attending the accepted students reception and i will most likely be attending albany law because i would like to stay in state and closer to home.

does anyone know if there is an appartment complex just for law students that is close to campus?

Also, i started a facebook group for people who make their decision to attend this fall the link is:
I'm afraid there isn't something just for law students but there is plenty of student housing! (There are a number of schools in close proximity to each other in Albany.) Here is one complex that I found via the Albany Law website that limits itself to students: http://www.uhcollegesuites.com/

To be honest though there are plenty of reasonably priced apartments to be had both in and out of complexes if this doesn't suit you.

legal_eagle

Bronze

Post by legal_eagle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:31 am

barklm wrote:
frgboi139 wrote:hey everybody,

I'm afraid there isn't something just for law students but there is plenty of student housing! (There are a number of schools in close proximity to each other in Albany.) Here is one complex that I found via the Albany Law website that limits itself to students: http://www.uhcollegesuites.com/

To be honest though there are plenty of reasonably priced apartments to be had both in and out of complexes if this doesn't suit you.
I was looking at that complex and it just seems way too expensive in comparison to alot of other apartments out there. I guess i'll look around after the march 26th ASD

frgboi139

New

Post by frgboi139 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:21 pm

THanks a lot for the response, any idea on whether or not madison is a good spot?

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:35 pm

frgboi139 wrote:THanks a lot for the response, any idea on whether or not madison is a good spot?
Madison Avenue? Its a big avenue that runs from midtown Albany all the way downtown. Parts are nice but commercial, parts are nice and have apartment complexes, parts are rundown and not worth living near. If you could provide me with an address or building, I could perhaps offer better insight. Overall, if I was looking in Albany again, I would try for something on a side street off of Madison. If you pick the right area, it should be nice and close to the law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”