Iowa Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
smiller1

New

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Post by smiller1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Anyone know what the parking situation is like at the law school? Open lot? Pay-per-semester permit?
There is a few metered spots in the law school parking lot, but most the area is reserved for faculty. If you are going to drive, the closest option is a parking garage about a half block away. It costs about 60 cents an hour and is free after midnight (the same time the law library closes, conveniently enough.)

smiller1

New

Post by smiller1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:10 pm

cmiller1: are you a 0L? your profile says c/o 2013?
Good catch! I'm a OL. Class of 2014...guess I must have rushed a little too quickly in creating my profile.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:24 pm

smiller1 wrote: There is a few metered spots in the law school parking lot, but most the area is reserved for faculty. If you are going to drive, the closest option is a parking garage about a half block away. It costs about 60 cents an hour and is free after midnight (the same time the law library closes, conveniently enough.)
That's not too awful... Do they sell monthly or semester passes instead? If you pay per day, that comes out to almost $500/semester...

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:58 pm

chrisbru wrote:It's been a few pages so...

Join the Iowa Law Class of 2014 FB Group here:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/hom ... 87342&ap=1
Thanks for adding me. Does this group only open to TLS? If so, should we send the link to the admission office asking them to circulate around for all?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:00 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
chrisbru wrote:It's been a few pages so...

Join the Iowa Law Class of 2014 FB Group here:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/hom ... 87342&ap=1
Thanks for adding me. Does this group only open to TLS? If so, should we send the link to the admission office asking them to circulate around for all?
It can be for anyone. If you'd like to email admissions, feel free!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:50 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Sure. I will also post the link to the school page, so people know it exists.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:08 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

School page? Wait, there's a school page? :-)

smiller1

New

Post by smiller1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:45 pm

That's not too awful... Do they sell monthly or semester passes instead? If you pay per day, that comes out to almost $500/semester...
As far as I know there aren't any semester pass options available on campus for students.

From the law school website: "The Boyd Law Building offers very limited meter parking spaces for visitors, and the law school parking lot is reserved for faculty and staff parking. Public parking is available at the Field House Lot, which is the closest to the law school."

Though, if you want to save money and plan on being downtown past 5 p.m., you can always move your car to a metered spot a few blocks away (all metered spots are free after 5 p.m.)

theghostofDrewTate

New

Post by theghostofDrewTate » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:00 pm

For the person looking to buy - there are some condos on Oakcrest Street and on Woodside Drive that are about a $6-8 cab ride from downtown that you should be able to buy for under $150k. There is always turnover in the condos due to graduations. You can easily walk to the LS from those and they are very convenient for football games, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

theghostofDrewTate

New

Post by theghostofDrewTate » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:03 pm

smiller1 wrote:
As far as I know there aren't any semester pass options available on campus for students.

From the law school website: "The Boyd Law Building offers very limited meter parking spaces for visitors, and the law school parking lot is reserved for faculty and staff parking. Public parking is available at the Field House Lot, which is the closest to the law school."

Though, if you want to save money and plan on being downtown past 5 p.m., you can always move your car to a metered spot a few blocks away (all metered spots are free after 5 p.m.)
The LS lot is decent sized, but a cheaper lot across Myrtle in a church parking lot is another option and you don't have to go out and plug the meters. They obviously won't let you park there on football Saturdays or on Sundays, but it is WAY better than getting nickeled and dimed by the University. Of course, the school ain't gonna tell you about it.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:13 pm

theghostofDrewTate wrote:
The LS lot is decent sized, but a cheaper lot across Myrtle in a church parking lot is another option and you don't have to go out and plug the meters. They obviously won't let you park there on football Saturdays or on Sundays, but it is WAY better than getting nickeled and dimed by the University. Of course, the school ain't gonna tell you about it.

Brilliant. Do they sell semester passes, or charge by the day? I don't play on being at the school much on weekends anyway, and when I do, I'll just pay the meters.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:19 pm

chrisbru wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

School page? Wait, there's a school page? :-)
Yeah, there is one, but I don't know if it is an official page. Here you go http://www.facebook.com/#!/IowaLawSchool?sk=wall

hawkeye22

Bronze

Post by hawkeye22 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:40 am

chrisbru wrote:

Brilliant. Do they sell semester passes, or charge by the day? I don't play on being at the school much on weekends anyway, and when I do, I'll just pay the meters.
Parking:

There are a few 15 minute spots and a couple normal meters right outside of Boyd. Otherwise, almost everyone that drives regularly parks in the Myrtle lot. Its $0.60 an hour, or alternatively they sell year passes but its very expensive ($600-700). Most people just live close to campus and walk, bike or take the bus. I have a car, but I've driven to school like three times this year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hawkeye22

Bronze

Post by hawkeye22 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:41 am

smiller1 wrote:

Downtown isn't really close enough to park there and walk. Imminently possible, but not something you'd want to do on any sort of regular basis.

bbermud

Bronze

Post by bbermud » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:55 am

hawkeye22 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Parking:

There are a few 15 minute spots and a couple normal meters right outside of Boyd. Otherwise, almost everyone that drives regularly parks in the Myrtle lot. Its $0.60 an hour, or alternatively they sell year passes but its very expensive ($600-700). Most people just live close to campus and walk, bike or take the bus. I have a car, but I've driven to school like three times this year.

does anyone happen to know how late the buses run?

qhryder32

New

Post by qhryder32 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:24 pm

Just RSVP'd for ASW!! Really looking forward to meeting everyone!! :lol:

goodgrief

New

Post by goodgrief » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:26 am

I've rsvp'd to ASW - anyone know what the dress code expectations will be like? Casual, business casual, business? Any ideas?

Thanks! Can't wait to meet y'all!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smiller1

New

Post by smiller1 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:55 pm

I've rsvp'd to ASW - anyone know what the dress code expectations will be like? Casual, business casual, business? Any ideas?
Good question. I was wondering this too!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:16 pm

smiller1 wrote:

Just don't start a thread on this. There are already 10's of them on TLS. Search button is your friend.

However, the best advice given on TLS is

"Dress like you would for meeting your girlfriend's parents the first time at a Cheesecake Factory"

goodgrief

New

Post by goodgrief » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:48 pm

typ3 wrote:
smiller1 wrote:

Just don't start a thread on this. There are already 10's of them on TLS. Search button is your friend.

"Dress like you would for meeting your girlfriend's parents the first time at a Cheesecake Factory"
I did like that post. :D

smiller1

New

Post by smiller1 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:45 pm

Haha :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:57 pm

smiller1 wrote:
Haha :lol:
What if I never got to meet my girlfriend's parents? :oops:

But I was hoping the administration staff will send something out the week of regarding check-in procedures, dress code, etc.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:44 pm

typ3 wrote:

I hate Cheesecake Factory. Their menu is too big for my indecisiveness. Trim it down a bit, please, and maybe I'll eat there (in Iowa, since there are ONLY chain restaurants).

/tangent.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:39 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

I hate Cheesecake Factory. Their menu is too big for my indecisiveness. Trim it down a bit, please, and maybe I'll eat there (in Iowa, since there are ONLY chain restaurants).

/tangent.
bahah this is so true of Iowa. Although, there are some good local bars esp in Okoboji. Let me know if anyone is in the lakes area this summer and is looking for someone to boat and go out drinking with.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:38 pm

typ3 wrote:
bahah this is so true of Iowa. Although, there are some good local bars esp in Okoboji. Let me know if anyone is in the lakes area this summer and is looking for someone to boat and go out drinking with.

I'll be out there once I'm back from Seattle... The girlyfriend's parents have a house up there, so there's a lot of time spent in Boji.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”