Iowa Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
hawkeye22

Bronze

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Post by hawkeye22 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:00 pm

Getting football tickets is just as easy as it is for undergrad, but you have to do it quickly, because they sell out almost immediately. Unfortunately, there are no buddy tickets.

Re: disclosing my grades, I'd prefer not to, but they're good. There is simply no correlation between 0L prep and grades. Just the thought of people trying to read through the K or Civ Pro E&E's before school starts makes me giggle.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:38 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:Getting football tickets is just as easy as it is for undergrad, but you have to do it quickly, because they sell out almost immediately. Unfortunately, there are no buddy tickets.

Re: disclosing my grades, I'd prefer not to, but they're good. There is simply no correlation between 0L prep and grades. Just the thought of people trying to read through the K or Civ Pro E&E's before school starts makes me giggle.
K well there's a difference between good grades and the best grades. I'll stick to my prep. One of my parents is a former torts and legal writing professor and they recommended doing light but some prep over the summer to master legal writing, briefing, and efficient outlining before you hit classes.

No reason to be a dick about 0L's not wanting to be completely blindsided the first week of classes.

hawkeye22

Bronze

Post by hawkeye22 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:21 pm

typ3 wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:Getting football tickets is just as easy as it is for undergrad, but you have to do it quickly, because they sell out almost immediately. Unfortunately, there are no buddy tickets.

K well there's a difference between good grades and the best grades. I'll stick to my prep. One of my parents is a former torts and legal writing professor and they recommended doing light but some prep over the summer to master legal writing, briefing, and efficient outlining before you hit classes.

No reason to be a dick about 0L's not wanting to be completely blindsided the first week of classes.
Lulz. Way to insinuate that my grades aren't the best. Not trying to be a dick, but save you guys needless work and encourage much-needed relaxation.

EDIT: If you're getting your advice on how to do well in law school from law profs, look out for FAIL train.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:34 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Lulz. Way to insinuate that my grades aren't the best. Not trying to be a dick, but save you guys needless work and encourage much-needed relaxation.

EDIT: If you're getting your advice on how to do well in law school from law profs, look out for FAIL train.
Why would that be a fail train considering they were the editor of their law review?

hawkeye22

Bronze

Post by hawkeye22 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:18 am

I suppose your parents might be a bit better, but assuming its been awhile since they were in law school they probably aren't the best to go to for advice. But anyway, QFT:

"“Welcome to Contracts; I am Professor Smith. I am going to talk about what I am interested in because this is my class and I am going to teach the way I want to. I am not going to advise you on how to play tricky games to maximize your grades because when the end of the semester comes I am going to give out a fixed number of A’s, B’s, and C’s anyway. I care about my research, not about how you guys fight it out amongst yourself for the 5 A and 15 A- grades I will be awarding. I don’t want you to read study guides or for you to practice tests all year long, even though doing so will get the select few of you that do it better test grades. Reading these books and practicing sample tests may get you great at taking tests, but you are short-cutting past all of the hard work that will make you better suited for a career in legal academia in the long run.”

Or sometimes this:

“Welcome to Contracts; I am Professor Smith. I am completely out of touch with what it is like to be an average law school student with typical abilities relative to my peers. When I was at Harvard Law School in 1972 we used the Socratic Method, and I stand by that tradition. It doesn’t matter that I was a 178 LSAT and 3.98 student in undergrad, with a 172 I.Q. and that I could have only studied ten hours a week and still have made Harvard Law Review. I am completely out of touch with what it would take for the typical law student to read or practice in order to do well on my exam.”"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smiller1

New

Post by smiller1 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:01 pm

Nope, done with this. Some people want to study before school starts. Some people don't find studying before the semester begins helpful. So those who find it helpful will study, and those who don't find any advantage by doing this will not study.

And those who are doing one won't antagonize the other group for doing the other.

DONE.

So...where are you future Iowa Law students originally from? Being from Iowa myself, I'm curious how far some people are traveling to go to this law school. For my undergrad here, everyone was pretty much originally from Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin, so I hope the upcoming law class will be more geographically diverse than the undergrad population.

skirschner1

New

Post by skirschner1 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:31 pm

smiller1 wrote:Nope, done with this. Some people want to study before school starts. Some people don't find studying before the semester begins helpful. So those who find it helpful will study, and those who don't find any advantage by doing this will not study.

And those who are doing one won't antagonize the other group for doing the other.

DONE.

So...where are you future Iowa Law students originally from? Being from Iowa myself, I'm curious how far some people are traveling to go to this law school. For my undergrad here, everyone was pretty much originally from Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin, so I hope the upcoming law class will be more geographically diverse than the undergrad population.
Thank you for this.

I'll be making my first trip to Iowa for ASW. I'm from Dallas and went to Oklahoma State for undergrad (the other OSU). Basically know nothing about Iowa or the midwest really so you guys will have to me fill me in on all things Iowa when I'm up there in a few weeks. Looking forward to it for sure.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:01 pm

skirschner1 wrote: Thank you for this.

I'll be making my first trip to Iowa for ASW. I'm from Dallas and went to Oklahoma State for undergrad (the other OSU). Basically know nothing about Iowa or the midwest really so you guys will have to me fill me in on all things Iowa when I'm up there in a few weeks. Looking forward to it for sure.

Iowa rocks... If you enjoyed OSU, I'm sure you'll have an even better time at Iowa. The weather sucks in comparison though :-)

Where is everyone staying for ASW?

smiller1

New

Post by smiller1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:07 pm

Where is everyone staying for ASW?
Well, the one plus side to originally being from Iowa City is free hotel rates at La Casa de mis Padres.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

theothertiffany

New

Post by theothertiffany » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:43 pm

skirschner1 wrote:
smiller1 wrote:Nope, done with this. Some people want to study before school starts. Some people don't find studying before the semester begins helpful. So those who find it helpful will study, and those who don't find any advantage by doing this will not study.

DONE.

Thank you for this.

ASW will also be my first trip to Iowa. I'm from CA and I'm a little worried about the weather but by late March it should be pleasant... right?

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:22 pm

theothertiffany wrote:
skirschner1 wrote:

DONE.

Thank you for this.

ASW will also be my first trip to Iowa. I'm from CA and I'm a little worried about the weather but by late March it should be pleasant... right?
It'll be one of 3 things. Bitterly cold with wind and snow. Warm and sunny. 40 degrees with gray skies.

smiller1

New

Post by smiller1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:47 pm

It'll be one of 3 things. Bitterly cold with wind and snow. Warm and sunny. 40 degrees with gray skies.
+1

goodgrief

New

Post by goodgrief » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:41 am

I'm originally from the Texas Gulf Coast, but went to college in Western Illinois, so I'm used to the (in my opinion) bizarre weather of the midwest, and really excited to be back up there.

Go Hawkeyes!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beaubois

New

Post by beaubois » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:56 pm

On the status checker, does "in progress" mean that a decision is coming soon, or is there a status that comes after that but before the actual decision? THX

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:44 pm

beaubois wrote:On the status checker, does "in progress" mean that a decision is coming soon, or is there a status that comes after that but before the actual decision? THX

I think that's ISIS... That's separate from your status checker. The status check comes a few weeks after you get your ISIS logon info

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:30 pm

I cannot for the life of me find a decent apartment that takes dogs. Anyone like dogs and want to live in a house instead of an apartment?

bbermud

Bronze

Post by bbermud » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:36 pm

chrisbru wrote:I cannot for the life of me find a decent apartment that takes dogs. Anyone like dogs and want to live in a house instead of an apartment?

Try outside of the city. Maybe in Coralville. IC is not pet friendly at all :(. I had made it my mission the last couple of weeks to find housing that would allow my would be future cat to bunk with me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

catinthewall

Bronze

Post by catinthewall » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:49 am

Hi everyone!! I'll be visiting on the 10th :)

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:54 pm

bbermud wrote:
chrisbru wrote:I cannot for the life of me find a decent apartment that takes dogs. Anyone like dogs and want to live in a house instead of an apartment?

Try outside of the city. Maybe in Coralville. IC is not pet friendly at all :(. I had made it my mission the last couple of weeks to find housing that would allow my would be future cat to bunk with me.
I think I'm just going to buy a place.

Hence... Needed a roommate to rent a room?! I refuse to live in Coralville just because Iowa City landlords treat everyone like a teenager.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:57 pm

chrisbru wrote:
bbermud wrote:

I think I'm just going to buy a place.

Hence... Needed a roommate to rent a room?! I refuse to live in Coralville just because Iowa City landlords treat everyone like a teenager.
+1 Bahaha this is so true.

Coralville is better anyway if you plan on visiting the mall or a movie anyway.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 pm

typ3 wrote:
+1 Bahaha this is so true.

Coralville is better anyway if you plan on visiting the mall or a movie anyway.
Ahhh, but I don't. Just class and the bars. And I plan on bartending, so I'd like to be able to walk home from work.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

smiller1

New

Post by smiller1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:11 pm

And I plan on bartending, so I'd like to be able to walk home from work.
That's not a bad idea, though you may run into complications with this if you plan on buying, like you said. It will be very difficult to find a place with an option to buy within walking distance of downtown/campus, since most properties, including houses, are bought and rented out for students. Though if you can find a place, the more power to ya!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:27 pm

smiller1 wrote:
And I plan on bartending, so I'd like to be able to walk home from work.
That's not a bad idea, though you may run into complications with this if you plan on buying, like you said. It will be very difficult to find a place with an option to buy within walking distance of downtown/campus, since most properties, including houses, are bought and rented out for students. Though if you can find a place, the more power to ya!

True. This whole process is frustrating. Hopefully the perfect place falls into my lap when I'm there in a few weeks :-)

Maybe I should be more realistic, and plan on driving/busing to class, and taking cabs to/from the bar. Even Coralville is only 4 miles, that can't be more than a $15 cab ride... Right?

Anyone know what the parking situation is like at the law school? Open lot? Pay-per-semester permit?

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:08 pm

Checking in for the first time. Just book my flight to Iowa city for ASD. I'm excited to meet everyone.

cmiller1: are you a 0L? your profile says c/o 2013?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:13 pm

It's been a few pages so...

Join the Iowa Law Class of 2014 FB Group here:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/hom ... 87342&ap=1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”