UNC Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
beccabea

Bronze

Re: UNC Class of 2014

Post by beccabea » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:58 pm

JakeDelhomme wrote:In your budgets, what are you allocating for rent?
Based on what I pay right now in a town very similar to Chapel Hill, I'm allocating $10,000/year for rent + utilities + food. This is assuming that I spend about $200/month on groceries for the 9 months we'll be in school, leaving about $680/month for rent and utilities on a year lease.

Also, the 2011 Applicants board is a terribly unhappy place right now. :( I'm so glad to be here ITT.

redwingsfan

New

Post by redwingsfan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:21 pm

Hey everyone, I've been reading the thread for awhile now, but this is my first post in here. UNC UG and attending UNC Law in the fall. I live in Stratford Hills right now in a 1 bedroom/1 bath/den, but the den is essentially a second bedroom, and I have a roommate who uses it as such. Right now, including rent, utilities, and digital cable, my roommate and I each spend ~$500/month, with rent being $365 each. If you anyone is still looking for a place to live, I would recommend Stratford Hills (if they have anything left). It isn't too far to campus, and you can take a bus to campus. There is a mix of undergrads, grad students, and families, and it is normally quiet. Wherever you choose to live, make sure you do it as soon as you can because housing in CH goes quickly.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:05 pm

beccabea wrote:
Based on what I pay right now in a town very similar to Chapel Hill, I'm allocating $10,000/year for rent + utilities + food. This is assuming that I spend about $200/month on groceries for the 9 months we'll be in school, leaving about $680/month for rent and utilities on a year lease.

Also, the 2011 Applicants board is a terribly unhappy place right now. :( I'm so glad to be here ITT.
Yeah I noticed that too. Its crazy over there and I know people have concerns but they should let Admissions know rather than be anonymous and just complain on TLS.

DeadLaw

New

Post by DeadLaw » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:23 pm

DeeCee wrote:
beccabea wrote:

Yeah I noticed that too. Its crazy over there and I know people have concerns but they should let Admissions know rather than be anonymous and just complain on TLS.
Yeah it is a train wreck. I am going to stay over here and enjoy the tranquility. I understand their complaints, but I agree that they are not going about it the best way.

Anyone here going to the ASD this week?

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:12 pm

DeadLaw wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
beccabea wrote:

Yeah it is a train wreck. I am going to stay over here and enjoy the tranquility. I understand their complaints, but I agree that they are not going about it the best way.

Anyone here going to the ASD this week?
I'll be there on Friday.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Aw, some of you guys are in Chapel Hill right now. :]

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:26 pm

I hope anyone that ended up staying the night Friday after ASD had a safe trip back today. The weather has been hell and there were so many tornadoes across the state

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:34 pm

Just wanted to remind everyone (slash inform those who haven't heard it) of the oft-quoted line from Tucker Max, Duke Law grad and self-proclaimed ***hole (http://www.tuckermax.com/): "Don't let anyone tell you differently: The only good thing about Duke is that it's 15 minutes from Chapel Hill."

THAT'S OUR CITY, GUYS, GET EXCITED. :D
Last edited by beccabea on Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:48 pm

becca-- have you decided on a computer? I think I might use mine until it goes out (which probably won't be long). Then I think I'll buy a Lenovo, since they are pretty sturdy and utilitarian and I'm really hard on computers.

Moral-- did you go to ASD? If so how was it? Hope the trip back from ASD was safe, and that you didn't run into weather problems.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:10 pm

I definitely can't keep using the computer I have right now. It won't fit in my messenger bag (oh yeah, I'm hip), and it weighs 6.5 pounds and is literally giving me back problems. Plus it has viruses that no one seems to know how to get rid of, and its battery (which is the second I've bought for it) lasts about 30 minutes. I still haven't decided, though. I want to wait until I can mess with the new Thinkpad X220 to see if I like the feel of it (I messed with the earlier version in the school store and thought it felt pretty flimsy and cramped), and if not, I'll get a MacBook and run Bootcamp on it.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:20 pm

beccabea wrote:I definitely can't keep using the computer I have right now. It won't fit in my messenger bag (oh yeah, I'm hip), and it weighs 6.5 pounds and is literally giving me back problems. Plus it has viruses that no one seems to know how to get rid of, and its battery (which is the second I've bought for it) lasts about 30 minutes. I still haven't decided, though. I want to wait until I can mess with the new Thinkpad X220 to see if I like the feel of it (I messed with the earlier version in the school store and thought it felt pretty flimsy), and if not, I'll get a MacBook.
I currently have this computer--

It's an XPS 1330 in red. I bought this computer in May 09 and at the time, it was the lightest computer I could find (I think it's 4.0lbs) that wasn't a notebook and still had a full keyboard. But, because of the horrible overheating problems that ultimately mess up the chip in this computer, Dell quit making them in 09, so I have no support through Dell now as far as buying parts and things. I had a bunch of overheating issues as well, and now I am forced to carry a chill mat with me in order to keep the computer cool. So essentially I bought a super-light computer that is no longer light because I must carry an additional accessory around with me. Anyway, long story short, before you buy anything light, make sure to read reviews. A lot of thin computers seem to have overheating problems. I am really torn whether to just go ahead and buy a new one or wait, because although this computer is working fine right now, the battery life is shot. And if it overheats again I'll have to buy a new one anyway.

rehtulx

New

Post by rehtulx » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:51 pm

DeeCee wrote:
beccabea wrote:I definitely can't keep using the computer I have right now. It won't fit in my messenger bag (oh yeah, I'm hip), and it weighs 6.5 pounds and is literally giving me back problems. Plus it has viruses that no one seems to know how to get rid of, and its battery (which is the second I've bought for it) lasts about 30 minutes. I still haven't decided, though. I want to wait until I can mess with the new Thinkpad X220 to see if I like the feel of it (I messed with the earlier version in the school store and thought it felt pretty flimsy), and if not, I'll get a MacBook.

It's an XPS 1330 in red. I bought this computer in May 09 and at the time, it was the lightest computer I could find (I think it's 4.0lbs) that wasn't a notebook and still had a full keyboard. But, because of the horrible overheating problems that ultimately mess up the chip in this computer, Dell quit making them in 09, so I have no support through Dell now as far as buying parts and things. I had a bunch of overheating issues as well, and now I am forced to carry a chill mat with me in order to keep the computer cool. So essentially I bought a super-light computer that is no longer light because I must carry an additional accessory around with me. Anyway, long story short, before you buy anything light, make sure to read reviews. A lot of thin computers seem to have overheating problems. I am really torn whether to just go ahead and buy a new one or wait, because although this computer is working fine right now, the battery life is shot. And if it overheats again I'll have to buy a new one anyway.
I was a hardcore Apple hater, and finally caved and got a Macbook Air. I have had it for over a year now and love it. I haven't had over heating problems, and it has shown itself to be quite durable (ie surviving a couple of rough Army National Guard exercises and a lot of business travel).

It isn't a powerhouse if you are a big time gamer or something, but more than capable of just about anything law school will throw at it.

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:59 pm

Forget the computer talk, Harrison Barnes is coming back next year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:09 pm

rehtulx wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

I was a hardcore Apple hater, and finally caved and got a Macbook Air. I have had it for over a year now and love it. I haven't had over heating problems, and it has shown itself to be quite durable (ie surviving a couple of rough Army National Guard exercises and a lot of business travel).

It isn't a powerhouse if you are a big time gamer or something, but more than capable of just about anything law school will throw at it.
I'm not an Apple fan, though I think Apple really has a lock on those who are into the "user experience" of a computer. I keep PCs around because I like the personal options I have with a PC. My SO can work on it and fix hardware/software issues, so I don't have to worry about that. And, obviously what works for you is what works for you, and for law school you really only need a few basic functions that a computer provides (internet, HD space, word processing), whether it is Mac or PC. But I also use ArcGIS, which is RAM intensive and does not work on a Mac OS. I also run Ubuntu, and I keep Win 7 around for compatibility with most programs. I prefer Ubuntu so much more, I'm guessing I'll have to roll with Win 7 for LS, since the testing program probably won't run on it.

Also, doesn't the MacBook Air not have a CD drive, and only one USB? I remember when they came out I liked them, but those parts were left out.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:24 pm

I'm probably going to end up getting the MacBook Pro, given that I just spent my last class sitting next to a girl with one and staring googly-eyed at it for 50 minutes.
Moral_Midgetry wrote:Forget the computer talk, Harrison Barnes is coming back next year.
Yes, yes he is. I sniffled a little bit when I read the DTH article. :]

borntorun86

Bronze

Post by borntorun86 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:02 pm

Black Falcon 2.0: Harrison Barnes Returns. With John Henson, Kendall Marshall, and Tyler Zeller. Directed by Roy Williams. Coming Fall 2011 to an arena/tv/aircraft carrier near you.

rehtulx

New

Post by rehtulx » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:19 am

DeeCee wrote:
rehtulx wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

I'm not an Apple fan, though I think Apple really has a lock on those who are into the "user experience" of a computer. I keep PCs around because I like the personal options I have with a PC. My SO can work on it and fix hardware/software issues, so I don't have to worry about that. And, obviously what works for you is what works for you, and for law school you really only need a few basic functions that a computer provides (internet, HD space, word processing), whether it is Mac or PC. But I also use ArcGIS, which is RAM intensive and does not work on a Mac OS. I also run Ubuntu, and I keep Win 7 around for compatibility with most programs. I prefer Ubuntu so much more, I'm guessing I'll have to roll with Win 7 for LS, since the testing program probably won't run on it.

Also, doesn't the MacBook Air not have a CD drive, and only one USB? I remember when they came out I liked them, but those parts were left out.

It doesn't have a CD drive, but I bought one off of ebay for 24.00 that just plugs into the USB and is about the size of 3 CD's on top of each other.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

missymary

New

Post by missymary » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:22 pm

missymary can you give us an idea of the class schedule for a 1L? Do you have a class every day of the week? What are the start/end times for the day generally?

Also, in Nov I visited and a current 1L lady that has an hour commute spoke to the group. Do you have any intel on how that is working out for her?
Ya'll probably don't need to hear this anymore, but I'll answer anyways. This gives me a good excuse to not study for con law right now.

My Fall schedule was awesome because I had no 8:45 AM classes. It looked a little something like this:

Monday:
RRWA 1:00 - 2:10
Civ Pro 2:30 - 3:40

Tuesday - Thursday
Property 10:20 - 11:30
Torts 1:00 - 2:10

Friday:

Spring looked a bit different than that. I had 8:45 AM classes. Mondays were still a late start and Fridays got out at 9:55, which was nice.

I know a couple of people who commute in from distances. They usually have no problems. They just have to get here earlier....and I would reccomend trying for hardship parking. A hardship parking permit is expensive, but really nice if you commute in each morning from a distance. One guy literally gets to park right next to the building. Jealous. 8)

No one ever told us what MAGIC Day was until it actually happened. Even some professors weren't aware of it. So, I'm telling ya'll now! It's not that exciting. Basically, your classes are switched up based on when holidays happen during the week and you miss class. For example, we had to switch a Tuesday schedule for a Thursday schedule.

Next year is going to be great year to be a Tarheel!! Barnes/Zeller/Hensen are going all the way and bringing the championship home to Chapel Hill. Just sayin.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:36 pm

missymary wrote:My Fall schedule was awesome because I had no 8:45 AM classes. It looked a little something like this:

Monday:
RRWA 1:00 - 2:10

Tuesday - Thursday

Friday:
Wow, that's a bizarre-looking schedule to someone used to all M-W-F and T-Th classes.

missymary

New

Post by missymary » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:44 pm

It's definitely different than undergrad. I was used to a nice M-W schedule by senior year. Toughest part is getting used to having your three core classes four days a week. No slacking off on the reading!

jcrojas

New

Post by jcrojas » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:28 pm

Congrats to all who have gotten in and decided that they're going to UNC. I'm a rising 2L and I've loved every minute of it, even the late nights studying for finals.

If anyone has any questions about the school, send me a private message on here and I'll do my best to try to answer them.
Last edited by jcrojas on Tue May 17, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

borntorun86

Bronze

Post by borntorun86 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:13 pm

--LinkRemoved--

I got published today :D First kvetch submission, first kvetch publication. 1 for 1.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:53 pm

borntorun86 wrote:--LinkRemoved--

I got published today :D First kvetch submission, first kvetch publication. 1 for 1.
I don't understand how it's a kvetch, though. I was under the impression that people were happy that Barnes & Co. are coming back.

Either way, from the little bit I've read the DTH is way better than my university newspaper, which I can barely read without getting angry.

borntorun86

Bronze

Post by borntorun86 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Picky picky. It doesn't have to be a complaint, necessarily, as long as it's witty.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Any females interested in living in Glen Lennox? Sorry boys, I'm only discriminating because living in Glen Lennox means having to share a bathroom. Although if you can provide references and photo evidence that can attest to your being able to aim properly and not leave your shaving leftovers in the sink, I might relax my policy. :3

EDIT: Wow, I realized upon re-reading this that asking for photo evidence in the same sentence as "that can attest to your being able to aim properly" could sound like I'm asking for pictures of.. of you actually aiming and.. and that's totally not what I meant. I'd actually rather not have pictures of that. I meant pictures of a clean, not-covered-in-dried-pee bathroom.

:oops:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”