Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
tlabrum3

New

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Post by tlabrum3 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:29 am

Haven't gotten anything from the law school in some time. I think that email about financial aid was the last (besides those newsletters). Is there some sort of packet we're supposed to have received?

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:01 pm

I am a starting to get worried that it will be quite difficult for me to find a place to live. :( Anyone looking for a roommate or have any recommendations? The village is great, but it is so expensive.

chihuahua12

Bronze

Post by chihuahua12 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:09 am

If anyone is still looking for a place to live, I'm looking for someone to take over my aug-july lease at poolside (430 S. Dunn St.) for a 1 bedroom. PM if interested.

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:20 am

If any rising 1Ls are still looking for a place to live, . I've got a great 1BR located about a mile from campus (i.e. close enough to walk but not so close that you're getting ripped off by the landlords lurking around campus) and am looking to get out of my lease ASAP (I'm transferring to another school). Willing to negotiate on the price (within reason), if that's a stickler. PM me if interested.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:32 am

crazyblink653 wrote:If any rising 1Ls are still looking for a place to live, . I've got a great 1BR located about a mile from campus (i.e. close enough to walk but not so close that you're getting ripped off by the landlords lurking around campus) and am looking to get out of my lease ASAP (I'm transferring to another school). Willing to negotiate on the price (within reason), if that's a stickler. PM me if interested.
0Ls*

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Anyone know when we register for classes? I decided IU a bit late, and I just found a place to live.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:34 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Anyone know when we register for classes? I decided IU a bit late, and I just found a place to live.
Maybe a current IU student can back me up, but I was told that you'll be automatically registered and receive your schedule a bit before orientation.

Speaking of which, are 2-3Ls going to be at orientation, or is it just a 1L thing?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:04 am

Verity wrote:Maybe a current IU student can back me up, but I was told that you'll be automatically registered and receive your schedule a bit before orientation.

Speaking of which, are 2-3Ls going to be at orientation, or is it just a 1L thing?
Yes. Last year we got the schedules 6 days before the start of classes.

Only 1Ls go to orientation.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:41 am

Do you guys recommend reading Getting to Maybe or any other prep materials before the semester sucks? I feel nervous, and I can't help but think that the majority of the class will have a greater understanding of the law. Hell, I can't even remember some of the basic amendments. I haven't read anything since December when I finished school :) .

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:01 am

jaydizzle wrote:Do you guys recommend reading Getting to Maybe or any other prep materials before the semester sucks? I feel nervous, and I can't help but think that the majority of the class will have a greater understanding of the law. Hell, I can't even remember some of the basic amendments. I haven't read anything since December when I finished school :) .
Don't sweat 0L prep. I don't think there's much you could do to avoid the inevitable nerves of starting school. Getting To Maybe is a very helpful book, if you have the time, but by no means a pre-requisite. If you are taking Gjerdingen's Torts, you'll read some of it in class.

No one will know any more about the law than you on day one, and you will all feel like you know less than that during finals. Summer starters will have the advantage of having read cases and taken one exam, but that deficit will be shortly overcome by regular starters.

lah88

New

Post by lah88 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:11 pm

Anyone know how to get a student ID? I'm guessing I'll need one right away to ride the bus. Haven't really received any information about this though.

LucilleBluth

New

Post by LucilleBluth » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:24 pm

Has anyone had any problems jo joining the IUB network on Facebook? Every time I try to join the Indiana University Bloomington network (and I am joining the right network, all I type in is Indiana University Bloomington) it keeps linking to the wrong wikipedia page (that of the state of Indiana) instead of showing up as Indiana University it simply shows up as Indiana. It's the weirdest thing!

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:34 pm

superflush wrote:
Verity wrote:Maybe a current IU student can back me up, but I was told that you'll be automatically registered and receive your schedule a bit before orientation.

But we get to pick our Torts prof, right?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:37 pm

lah88 wrote:Anyone know how to get a student ID? I'm guessing I'll need one right away to ride the bus. Haven't really received any information about this though.
There's an office in the student union, which is about 200 yards from the law school, that processes student IDs. It's only about a 2 minute ordeal, but the office is kind of tucked away in the bottom of the union.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:43 pm

Verity wrote:
superflush wrote:

But we get to pick our Torts prof, right?
If I remember correctly, last year 1Ls got to rank their preference for Torts, but not actually select a professor. I'm not sure if I recall that correctly or if it is the same procedure this year.

lah88

New

Post by lah88 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:48 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
lah88 wrote:Anyone know how to get a student ID? I'm guessing I'll need one right away to ride the bus. Haven't really received any information about this though.
There's an office in the student union, which is about 200 yards from the law school, that processes student IDs. It's only about a 2 minute ordeal, but the office is kind of tucked away in the bottom of the union.
Thanks. I'll try to do that before classes start. Also, this has probably been covered already, but could someone please give me some information about parking on campus as well as the downtown area? I won't be living right by campus and plan on taking the bus to class, but I know a lot of schools allow you to park wherever after a certain time. Is IU like this or do you need a permit to park on campus at all times? I'm also planning on bringing my family out to eat one night since they are helping me move in. I'd like to go somewhere on Kirkwood, but where would I park? I've only been to Bloomington once, and the hotel I stayed at was within walking distance of everything so I didn't have this problem.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:44 am

lah88 wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:
Thanks. I'll try to do that before classes start. Also, this has probably been covered already, but could someone please give me some information about parking on campus as well as the downtown area? I won't be living right by campus and plan on taking the bus to class, but I know a lot of schools allow you to park wherever after a certain time. Is IU like this or do you need a permit to park on campus at all times? I'm also planning on bringing my family out to eat one night since they are helping me move in. I'd like to go somewhere on Kirkwood, but where would I park? I've only been to Bloomington once, and the hotel I stayed at was within walking distance of everything so I didn't have this problem.
Literally my number one complaint about Bloomington is parking. The city is simply not designed to accommodate the tens of thousands of people and their automobiles who now reside there. I don't want to be too categorical, but I would not plan on parking on campus or even near campus... ever. There is one garage near the law school and I think if you leave your car in the garage until after 10:00 pm (maybe it's 11:00 pm) then you don't have to pay. Other than that, street parking is notoriously unavailable, and there are no lots that 1L students are eligible to park in.

Depending on where you go to eat with your family, you might have a different experience, but if the restaurant is on Kirkwood, I would plan on difficulty parking.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

downstream

Bronze

Post by downstream » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:11 pm

Last edited by downstream on Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:51 am

You have to wait until you are actually registered, which if you didn't do summer start won't be until about a week before classes start.

Chippy

New

Post by Chippy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:21 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
lah88 wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:
Literally my number one complaint about Bloomington is parking. The city is simply not designed to accommodate the tens of thousands of people and their automobiles who now reside there. I don't want to be too categorical, but I would not plan on parking on campus or even near campus... ever. There is one garage near the law school and I think if you leave your car in the garage until after 10:00 pm (maybe it's 11:00 pm) then you don't have to pay. Other than that, street parking is notoriously unavailable, and there are no lots that 1L students are eligible to park in.

Depending on where you go to eat with your family, you might have a different experience, but if the restaurant is on Kirkwood, I would plan on difficulty parking.
I'm convinced that the whole stupid city runs on parking tickets. I swear the city has a army of those parking enforcement that patrol up and down 4th street near the law school.

Did anyone actually purchase a parking pass during the school year?

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Chippy wrote: I'm convinced that the whole stupid city runs on parking tickets. I swear the city has a army of those parking enforcement that patrol up and down 4th street near the law school.

Did anyone actually purchase a parking pass during the school year?
I may as well have for all of the parking tickets that I paidstill have to pay.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eve2490

New

Post by eve2490 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Last edited by eve2490 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:16 pm

eve2490 wrote:which torts prof to choose ?! :shock:

I am trying to figure this out myself. Remember when you recommended the village, I am actually going to live there. Are you living there too?

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:42 pm

jaydizzle wrote:

I am trying to figure this out myself. Remember when you recommended the village, I am actually going to live there. Are you living there too?
If you didn't see, there was a conversation about this in the other thread recently:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=2475

My apologies if you'd already seen it.

eve2490

New

Post by eve2490 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:33 am

Last edited by eve2490 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”