GW Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Re: GW Law Class of 2014

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:52 am

So I just missed the class preparation and case analysis and the dean's fellow session (at least now I'll be making sure to get a real alarm clock). Did they take attendance at those? Did I miss anything important?

And one thing about LRW, is class 55 minutes like everything else, and is the class with the dean's fellow mandatory or what?

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:09 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:So I just missed the class preparation and case analysis and the dean's fellow session (at least now I'll be making sure to get a real alarm clock). Did they take attendance at those? Did I miss anything important?

And one thing about LRW, is class 55 minutes like everything else, and is the class with the dean's fellow mandatory or what?
Just very quickly, no attendance at Maggs' class prep but roll call at Dean's fellow session. Class prep was helpful but you're fine - he talked about those 2 cases in the reading assignment to illustrate what's a holding, the rule, why you SHOULD brief cases, etc. (I can send you more info later tonight, just not now!) The Deans session was administrative (eg Westlaw passwords) - can send you that stuff later too but you should also check in with the fellow directly. The fellows are upperclassmen.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:30 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote: And one thing about LRW, is class 55 minutes like everything else, and is the class with the dean's fellow mandatory or what?
I don't remember the exact timing, but I'm pretty sure LRW is longer than your normal classes. 75 minutes or so, I think. And yeah, the DF's class is just as mandatory as your other classes. The reason being, beyond that the school said so, that the DFs teach you the bluebooking/research/etc. stuff you need (which the adjuncts don't). The DFs are generally pretty chill, though, so it's not so bad.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:10 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:So I just missed the class preparation and case analysis and the dean's fellow session (at least now I'll be making sure to get a real alarm clock). Did they take attendance at those? Did I miss anything important?

LRW is twice a week--the meeting with the adjunct professor or whatever they're called is 75 minutes, and your meeting with the dean's fellow (a 3L usually) is 55 minutes. You might want to email your dean's fellow because we got our lexis/westlaw info and are supposed to sign up for training sessions, and there's reading for your first LRW class most likely.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:02 am

PM'ed you some notes, along with my comment that you shouldn't worry about having missed it.

Make sure to ask your Deans Fellow (you can look up contact info in the school directory) about getting your Westlaw & LexisNexis logins. There are 2 intro training sessions that you have to attend this week. Oh yeah, there are required readings & assignments for the first day of class too. They're not that bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:53 am

schooner wrote:

PM'ed you some notes, along with my comment that you shouldn't worry about having missed it.

Make sure to ask your Deans Fellow (you can look up contact info in the school directory) about getting your Westlaw & LexisNexis logins. There are 2 intro training sessions that you have to attend this week. Oh yeah, there are required readings & assignments for the first day of class too. They're not that bad.
Thanks for the help.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:02 am

As the dust settles on Orientation, what do you guys think about our school?

As for me, the more I get to know our law school, the more I like. I like my classmates (i.e., you guys) a lot and our professors are amazing.

Other things I'm realizing:

The LSAT actually tests the skills that seem to be demanded of you in law school. That includes logic games (i.e., keeping a bunch of rules and variables in your head and manipulating them to produce different outcomes).

The 2L-3Ls and the professors try really hard to create a friendly, "help each other" atmosphere, not a cutthroat environment. This is one of the best things about GW, and I think it's why I'm handling the stress WAY better than I expected.

The coursework is more interesting than I expected.

I'm so glad I'm finally going to law school.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:33 am

schooner wrote: The coursework is more interesting than I expected.
Ugh, I hate the intros to the books. I only care to read actual cases.

Classmates are definitely on their shit. Every time someone has been cold called in each of my classes, there has been nearly no hesitation to give a thorough answer. Definitely not in undergrad anymore.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:49 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:

Classmates are definitely on their shit. Every time someone has been cold called in each of my classes, there has been nearly no hesitation to give a thorough answer. Definitely not in undergrad anymore.
Any 2L-3Ls listening in should jump in here, but if you're worried about this, I'm not sure you should be. Are those people reciting facts and trivia from the cases from the memory? That probably means they've wasted their time memorizing fact patterns they won't need on the final exam. Or are they answering difficult "how to think like a lawyer and apply the rule" type questions from the professor?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:06 am

schooner wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:

Any 2L-3Ls listening in should jump in here, but if you're worried about this, I'm not sure you should be. Are those people reciting facts and trivia from the cases from the memory? That probably means they've wasted their time memorizing fact patterns they won't need on the final exam. Or are they answering difficult "how to think like a lawyer and apply the rule" type questions from the professor?
for sure. i've learned not to be intimidated by the 10 color highlighter...ers, book briefers, or epic multi-page briefers who post photos of their work on facebook (WTF!). whatever works for me-i read the cases thoroughly but not obsessively, make a brief that has just enough that i need to know (3-5 sentences, more if it's really big). i think it's actually INEFFICIENT to write a huge brief, because there are so many cases, if you don't suss out what's important into the shortest notes possible, if you don't really boil it down, what's the point? same as overhighlighting-it sounds like a Confucius saying, but if you highlight everything, you highlight nothing.

also i'm taking far fewer class notes than i anticipated. a couple professors are just electrifying (Fairfax is amazing).

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:02 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
schooner wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:

for sure. i've learned not to be intimidated by the 10 color highlighter...ers, book briefers, or epic multi-page briefers who post photos of their work on facebook (WTF!). whatever works for me-i read the cases thoroughly but not obsessively, make a brief that has just enough that i need to know (3-5 sentences, more if it's really big). i think it's actually INEFFICIENT to write a huge brief, because there are so many cases, if you don't suss out what's important into the shortest notes possible, if you don't really boil it down, what's the point? same as overhighlighting-it sounds like a Confucius saying, but if you highlight everything, you highlight nothing.

also i'm taking far fewer class notes than i anticipated. a couple professors are just electrifying (Fairfax is amazing).
Fairfax is amazing. I am definitely taking less notes than I thought I would - also doing it handwritten style which helps me to remember. And I am highlighting only the important points when reading the cases.

My civ pro professor is awesome too and contracts is really relaxing right now. All in all have to say I'm enjoying it right now. May eat those words in a couple of months, but otherwise all is going fairly well at the moment.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:18 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:Fairfax is amazing
Fairfax is amazing.
Fairfax is amazing.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:32 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
Fairfax is amazing.
Fairfax is amazing.
So are we all in section 12? Kind of curious as to who everyone is lol. Schooner do you have Fairfax?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:14 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
Fairfax is amazing.
Fairfax is amazing.
So are we all in section 12? Kind of curious as to who everyone is lol. Schooner do you have Fairfax?
I don't and I'm jealous!!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Will you all be at bar review tonight?

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:49 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:Will you all be at bar review tonight?
I'm thinking of going but I'm super tired and don't feel like getting rained on. Are you going ?Feel free to guilt me into it though

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:13 am

schooner wrote:I like my classmates (i.e., you guys) a lot
I spoke too soon. God, there are some real unpleasant assholes in my class. But also lots of good guys. I guess like real life.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:47 am

schooner wrote:
I spoke too soon. God, there are some real unpleasant assholes in my class. But also lots of good guys. I guess like real life.
Agreed. So were you there last night? It was lots of fun IMO.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:04 pm

schooner wrote:
Yeah. Idk who else is a 12er, but some people just keep going and going during class. A lot of people have relevant and interesting points, but there was one particular person in torts today who went on and on and on and on and on and on and on...I just don't understand...

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:12 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
schooner wrote:
Yeah. Idk who else is a 12er, but some people just keep going and going during class. A lot of people have relevant and interesting points, but there was one particular person in torts today who went on and on and on and on and on and on and on...I just don't understand...
Seriously. I also think I know who you are talking about.

I was so tired from bar review that I am glad I wasn't cold called today. I think I would have sounded really dumb.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:43 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:
schooner wrote:

I was so tired from bar review that I am glad I wasn't cold called today. I think I would have sounded really dumb.
Ha! I might pass out early tonight too, and the weather looks like it sucks anyway, but I'll definitely be there next week. How was it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:38 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

Ha! I might pass out early tonight too, and the weather looks like it sucks anyway, but I'll definitely be there next week. How was it?
Yeah, this weekend - not so good. Next week though there is definitely time to go out as Labor Day is Monday so there's an extra day of no class and study time. Anyways bar review was super fun and crowded. Probably definitely going to be one of the best attended bar reviews of the year aside from perhaps the Halloween one (which I've heard always has the most people).

Met some more people in our section too and just had a very good time. :)

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:25 pm

A few things. One, I hate know-it-all gunners. You know who you are. God you're annoying as hell. Two, I'm so frustrated by what a huge time suck LRW is.

Can't believe more than two weeks have already gone by!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:16 am

schooner wrote:A few things. One, I hate know-it-all gunners. You know who you are. God you're annoying as hell. Two, I'm so frustrated by what a huge time suck LRW is.

Can't believe more than two weeks have already gone by!
Time is flying by so fast...feels like we've been in school for longer than that! Though, I am definitely enjoying it. Different kind of challenge then work where I was doing the same things over and over again.

LRW is a huge time sink...but at the moment I don't mind it, yet. I imagine that will change come the few days before the LIA deadline.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:33 pm

I feel like I'm not working hard enough. I'm up to date (and ahead in some cases) of all the reading (annotating and book briefing included), I've never been surprised with something the professor brings up in class and I've done all my LRW assignments in time. I see other people freaking out and not finishing their reading.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong here. lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”