GW Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
law4vus

Silver

Re: GW Law Class of 2014

Post by law4vus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:16 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
law4vus wrote: Nothing worse than being hot AND clammy.
You, sir, have obviously not spent many summers in the south surrounded by swamps.
I'm very glad for this. :wink:

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:18 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
You, sir, have obviously not spent many summers in the south surrounded by swamps. Hot + clammy + mosquitoes. Getting eaten alive every day out here.
Gross...in other words I am going to have to get used to running at 5am....fun...

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:28 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
You, sir, have obviously not spent many summers in the south surrounded by swamps. Hot + clammy + mosquitoes. Getting eaten alive every day out here.
Gross...in other words I am going to have to get used to running at 5am....fun...
I run at night anyway. Less people to see how embarrassingly out of shape I am (10 minute mile ftl :( )

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Night running is definitely the way to go...yet I am a bit concerned running at night in a city like DC because of the crime

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:40 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
If you think DC doesn't have mosquitos you're in for a rude awakening.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:52 pm

justhockey31 wrote:Night running is definitely the way to go...yet I am a bit concerned running at night in a city like DC because of the crime
As long as I have some male running partners I would definitely feel more safe at night. I don't think I should be going out alone at night.

Oh and btw for those who like running - Pacers Running Store is good. There's like 7 locations in DC/Arlington area.

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Depends on how far of a run you are talking about...I'm a 3 miles tops sort of person, people who can run marathons amaze me lol

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:33 pm

justhockey31 wrote:Depends on how far of a run you are talking about...I'm a 3 miles tops sort of person, people who can run marathons amaze me lol
I'd usually do 2 miles, though I've been on a break for some time now and can't even do an entire mile without having to walk 1/4 of it.

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:35 pm

I dunno I just find jogging...boring? I would much rather play soccer for 3 hrs than run for 30 mins though I would think running through the DC mall would be beautiful

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:41 am

justhockey31 wrote:Night running is definitely the way to go...yet I am a bit concerned running at night in a city like DC because of the crime
Foggy Bottom is fine, just avoid some of the nightlife areas and run with someone if possible. Parts of DC (like GW's area) are fine as long as you aren't irresponsible about it.

GULC, on the other hand, is somewhere where I'd rather not run at night.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:56 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Me too. I stopped wearing flip flops because of the skeeters. Stopped wearing flip flops everywhere! In the summer! The humanity!

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:07 pm

Does GW send out a confirmation when they get your seat deposit?

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:18 pm

justhockey31 wrote:Does GW send out a confirmation when they get your seat deposit?
Yeah, I got mine the same day (dropped it off in person, though). When did you send it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:38 pm

Earlier this week :? I guess I will shoot them an email tomorrow to make sure!

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:25 am

justhockey31 wrote:Earlier this week :? I guess I will shoot them an email tomorrow to make sure!
Also, if your seat deposits have been processed, they will be shown on your ebill as credits. (There's a link to your "Student Accounts Menu" from banweb.)

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:10 am

law4vus wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:Does GW send out a confirmation when they get your seat deposit?
Yeah, I got mine the same day (dropped it off in person, though). When did you send it?
Did you guys get in off the waitlist or am I missing some deposit deadline?

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:53 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
law4vus wrote:
Did you guys get in off the waitlist or am I missing some deposit deadline?
Waitlist, so don't worry. :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:39 pm

I just called them and was told they are going thru all the deposits right now but the guy remembered seeing mine and I will get my confirmation today...phew

sparcarc

New

Post by sparcarc » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:08 pm

Hello guys, just looking for collective wisdom -

I'm trying to choose a place to live. It'll be either the Aston or an apartment.
Cost-wise, with everything including utilities factored in, it seems that there is only $4 difference / day between the two (the Aston's more expensive. $54 vs $50) It still amounts to a difference of $120 / month but considering everything else, that amount does not seem to be a factor important enough in making my decision making here.

Other than the advantage of living with fellow law students, is there an advantage in living at the Aston?
The distance seems to be almost exactly the same and the year the buildings were built are not too different from each other.

I really apologize in advance for posting in two separate GW threads - it seems that I'll need to make a decision within a few hours from now. (The unit owner I was negotiating with just sent an email getting ready for lease-signing and 30 minutes after that, I received an email from GW Housing that there is a space available.)

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:24 pm

sparcarc wrote:Hello guys, just looking for collective wisdom -

I'm trying to choose a place to live. It'll be either the Aston or an apartment.
Cost-wise, with everything including utilities factored in, it seems that there is only $4 difference / day between the two (the Aston's more expensive. $54 vs $50) It still amounts to a difference of $120 / month but considering everything else, that amount does not seem to be a factor important enough in making my decision making here.

Other than the advantage of living with fellow law students, is there an advantage in living at the Aston?
The distance seems to be almost exactly the same and the year the buildings were built are not too different from each other.

I really apologize in advance for posting in two separate GW threads - it seems that I'll need to make a decision within a few hours from now. (The unit owner I was negotiating with just sent an email getting ready for lease-signing and 30 minutes after that, I received an email from GW Housing that there is a space available.)
It would be difficult to comment on your situation without knowing more about the apartment option. For instance, your apartment building might have centrally managed climated control (i.e., you don't have your own thermostat), it could be infested with rodents, you're choosing between a one-bedroom vs. a studio (as in the Aston), you need a furnished place, etc. I don't know if you went through the earlier posts either here or in the other thread, but I remember seeing someone post a youtube tour of his Aston place.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:31 pm

schooner wrote:

It would be difficult to comment on your situation without knowing more about the apartment option. For instance, your apartment building might have centrally managed climated control (i.e., you don't have your own thermostat), it could be infested with rodents, you're choosing between a one-bedroom vs. a studio (as in the Aston), you need a furnished place, etc. I don't know if you went through the earlier posts either here or in the other thread, but I remember seeing someone post a youtube tour of his Aston place.
To me, especially coming from a different city, the value of having the place furnished cannot be understated. Moving really truly sucks. Especially when you don't have anyone to help you. I'll be at the aston, and though I haven't been in a place that small since freshman year (ditto on the twin bed), it's still worth it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sparcarc

New

Post by sparcarc » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks for the response!
The Apartment I was looking at (Condominium, actually. So it'd be a contract with an individual unit owner,) is a studio as well, although slightly larger at 500 sq ft. I did see that YouTube video and it seems the unit conditions are about the same. I'd be able to control the temp settings in the condo as well. Even though the owner said there are no pest problems.. it still is a concern, as you said.
To me, especially coming from a different city, the value of having the place furnished cannot be understated. Moving really truly sucks. Especially when you don't have anyone to help you. I'll be at the aston, and though I haven't been in a place that small since freshman year (ditto on the twin bed), it's still worth it.
That is definitely true - having a furnished apartment is a factor in my decision.. And yes, the twin bed.. I guess I'm just trying to figure out whether that'd be worth $120 / month and whether I need to consider additional factors.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:34 pm

sparcarc wrote:
Thanks for the response!
The Apartment I was looking at (Condominium, actually. So it'd be a contract with an individual unit owner,) is a studio as well, although slightly larger at 500 sq ft. I did see that YouTube video and it seems the unit conditions are about the same. I'd be able to control the temp settings in the condo as well. Even though the owner said there are no pest problems.. it still is a concern, as you said.
That is definitely true - having a furnished apartment is a factor in my decision.. And yes, the twin bed.. I guess I'm just trying to figure out whether that'd be worth $120 / month and whether I need to consider additional factors.
Be careful with your written lease/sublet agreement, esp. the landlord's (or tenant's, if you're subletting) promise that the apartment is not infested and move-in/move-out timelines, particularly if you won't be in DC during the summers.

It sounds like the decision will come down to personal preference. What do you value and resent more? The proximity of so many of your classmates, the convenience of moving into and out of a furnished dorm apartment, (probably) greater tenant protections if you have a problem with your place, and less flexibility to negotiate some terms with your landlord? Or the freedom and hassle of furnishing your own place, the possible ability to stay continuously if you summer in DC, lower rent, less legal protections, and the feeling of having finally grown out of dorms? (I'm not sure if the Aston requires you to move out every summer, whether or not you're staying in DC.)

By the way, the size of the bed in the Aston means that no one could (comfortably) stay the night, which some would say is a good thing.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:33 pm

schooner wrote:

Teoeo (very helpful guy btw) actually posted 2 (two!) videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGDddaIL4Hw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeKw2ylDU58

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:34 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
schooner wrote:

You haven't gotten your room assignment yet right? I was told 10 days...10 days ago. Looking at last year's thread, it looks like Aston people found out around July 22 or so, so maybe later this week...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”