University of Florida c/o 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Neo

Bronze

Re: University of Florida c/o 2014

Post by Neo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:39 pm

Classygal87 wrote:I dont really think UF/FSU are equal. I was accepted to both schools, and yes both schools are good for practicing in FL but the one statsitic that really stands out to me in comparing UF/FSU is in the lawyers score - a 3.5 at UF vs. a 2.9 at FSU. It just seems to me that UF law is percieved as the "top dog" in the state. So I can justify the increased cost for knowing I am going to the best school in the state. But thats just my opinion obviously so take it for what it's worth.

+1.

Classygal87

New

Post by Classygal87 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:01 pm

On the note of housing is anyone considering living in an apartment? when I visited for ASD I toured Bartram and Wildflower. Both are very nice (although wildflower is a bit far). I realize both are expensive. But I am considering living in an apartment, and would be looking for roommates. I like the amenities of apartment living. Anyone interested PM me.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:11 pm

I chose UF over FSU because I honestly just felt better there. I thought the atmosphere was better suited to my personality. I think that should be one of the biggest factors when choosing between the two because being comfortable is key. I would NOT have been comfortable in Tallahassee, and I was very comfortable in Gainesville and at UF Law. That alone justifies the cost for me. People should definitly NOT choose a school based on a 2 spot jump in the rankings, IMO. If FSU had clearly surpassed UF and gotten better lawyer rankings, etc, then maybe that could somehow justify one re-thinking things. Its pretty much the same though.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Barbie wrote:I chose UF over FSU because I honestly just felt better there. I thought the atmosphere was better suited to my personality. I think that should be one of the biggest factors when choosing between the two because being comfortable is key. I would NOT have been comfortable in Tallahassee, and I was very comfortable in Gainesville and at UF Law. That alone justifies the cost for me. People should definitly NOT choose a school based on a 2 spot jump in the rankings, IMO. If FSU had clearly surpassed UF and gotten better lawyer rankings, etc, then maybe that could somehow justify one re-thinking things. Its pretty much the same though.
What I bolded is, I think, far and away the most important factor outside of money.

Barbie, I've been meaning to ask you, did you ever get a response from UF (I'm not sure if you tried) when trying to negotiate some money?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:17 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Barbie wrote:I chose UF over FSU because I honestly just felt better there. I thought the atmosphere was better suited to my personality. I think that should be one of the biggest factors when choosing between the two because being comfortable is key. I would NOT have been comfortable in Tallahassee, and I was very comfortable in Gainesville and at UF Law. That alone justifies the cost for me. People should definitly NOT choose a school based on a 2 spot jump in the rankings, IMO. If FSU had clearly surpassed UF and gotten better lawyer rankings, etc, then maybe that could somehow justify one re-thinking things. Its pretty much the same though.
What I bolded is, I think, far and away the most important factor outside of money.

Barbie, I've been meaning to ask you, did you ever get a response from UF (I'm not sure if you tried) when trying to negotiate some money?
Nothing yet. I'm really hoping for one of those need based/merit based schollys which she said will start going out end of March/ April if I remember. Carol Huber (sp) was the lady I spoke with and she's a doll! Fingers completely crossed though :( I just want UF to love me back!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:44 pm

I've been trying to negotiate as well, so I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:30 am

Having an identity crisis, and officially going up to visit this coming Tuesday. Pops wants to check the school out, so I'll have some company. I'll also be going to the April 15 ASD.

Does ANYONE have any scholarship negotiation info? I e-mailed them a few weeks back but have gotten nothing in response. The smallest amount of money could make this decision easier.

vdbl1901

New

Post by vdbl1901 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:04 am

Is any one living in Gainesville for the summer? I am out of state and plan on moving there in early may to start the process of becoming a Florida resident.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:45 am

vdbl1901 wrote:Is any one living in Gainesville for the summer? I am out of state and plan on moving there in early may to start the process of becoming a Florida resident.
I don't think moving in May and moving in August will really make a difference in when you get IS tuition... but I might be wrong. If you really want to endure Gainesville in the summer, go for it :) But I warn you, its kinda like being in the middle of a frying pan haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:27 pm

vdbl1901 wrote:Is any one living in Gainesville for the summer? I am out of state and plan on moving there in early may to start the process of becoming a Florida resident.
I am because my lease is up in May for where I'm living now, I'm coming from South of Gville.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:40 pm

Last edited by thewarflamingo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

vdbl1901

New

Post by vdbl1901 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:04 pm

Barbie wrote:
I don't think moving in May and moving in August will really make a difference in when you get IS tuition... but I might be wrong. If you really want to endure Gainesville in the summer, go for it :) But I warn you, its kinda like being in the middle of a frying pan haha
Haha, I am slightly paranoid about the off chance of getting denied in state tution and then having to undergo an appeals process. Plus, I spent a summer in DC the frying pan humidty of Gainesville can't be too much worse than that, can it?

For the people living there this summer any idea whether its better to sublet or try to get a lease for the year? Imo sublets seem really easy to find and it seems finding a roommate(s) and apartments for the year would be easier to do in Gainesville then to try and scramble and do it online.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:24 pm

vdbl1901 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Haha, I am slightly paranoid about the off chance of getting denied in state tution and then having to undergo an appeals process. Plus, I spent a summer in DC the frying pan humidty of Gainesville can't be too much worse than that, can it?

For the people living there this summer any idea whether its better to sublet or try to get a lease for the year? Imo sublets seem really easy to find and it seems finding a roommate(s) and apartments for the year would be easier to do in Gainesville then to try and scramble and do it online.
yeah probably. And as for DC, wouldn't know! I'm from a good bit south of Gville but I'm by the water so theres a decent breeze (although it is still hotter than HELL). I can't imagine it without the breeze, just get a place with CEILING FANS! I noticed a few apts Gville didn't have them. I'm making my landlord install one in every bedroom and put a new ice maker in the freezer. Gotta stay cool!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:34 pm

Hey guys, just want to let you know I'll be joining you in Gville this fall :)

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:13 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Hey guys, just want to let you know I'll be joining you in Gville this fall :)
Boo!

But for real, good luck to all you guys!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks. I REALLY like FSU and its indisputable its a good school with respect throughout FL. UF was just more conducive to my interests and career goals, enough so to make me bite the bullet on the extra 20k.

aj15ufmd

New

Post by aj15ufmd » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:57 pm

I'll be joining the UF class of 2014 this fall. Just submitted my deposit, enrollment form, and acceptance of scholarship form today. Looking forward to meeting all of you. Now I'm going to start the search for housing. Should it be pretty easy to find a single apartment somewhat near campus? I think I'm going to go single for 1L and then get roommates for 2L and 3L. Also, I'm going to sign up for the football ticket lottery pretty soon.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:57 pm

Last edited by thewarflamingo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

j_rm11

New

Post by j_rm11 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:13 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Alright guys, I have set my tentative moving date from TX to FL for July 15th! I am so excited! Time to start looking for apartments/houses!

Do y'all think that'll be enough time to start establishing residency stuff? If not, I may need to push it back to July 1st. hmm...
That's probably fine. FSU, with their acceptance packet, sends a checklist for establishing Florida residency. It's mostly things like registering your vehicle and registering to vote, which I believe you'll have plenty of time to accomplish in just under 2 months. And with that move-in date, you'll have satisfied the residency requirement as well.

Aro5389

New

Post by Aro5389 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:23 pm

Got accepted today. Really curious how the merit-based scholarships work and if there's anyway I can scratch and claw anything out of the wonderful people at Levin? :) Anything would help at this point despite being late in the game.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Aro5389 wrote:Got accepted today. Really curious how the merit-based scholarships work and if there's anyway I can scratch and claw anything out of the wonderful people at Levin? :) Anything would help at this point despite being late in the game.
Should be a form in your acceptance packet

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aro5389

New

Post by Aro5389 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:57 pm

Yeah it said merit-based scholarships are automatically considere and you need to fill out nothing. Those would most likely be the only ones I'd qualify for so I was wondering what people meant by "negotiating" and contacting admissions.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:54 am

Aro5389 wrote:Yeah it said merit-based scholarships are automatically considere and you need to fill out nothing. Those would most likely be the only ones I'd qualify for so I was wondering what people meant by "negotiating" and contacting admissions.
I think you applied/heard way too late in the game to have a shot at negotiating, but there really isn't a clear downside to trying- so why not?

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:49 pm

If you've committed to UF, don't forget to go to this thread and claim UF as your law school! There are only two of us listed so far and I know there are wayyyy more of you who are committed to the Gator Nation!
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 8&t=125921

kickincane21

Bronze

Post by kickincane21 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:57 am

I will be attending UF this fall and was wondering about housing. I recently got an email about some student apartments and stuff and was wondering if anyone knows which ones were close to the law school and which ones were good to live at?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”