Suffolk Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
mj18

New

Re: Suffolk Class of 2014

Post by mj18 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:11 pm

Lycurgus wrote:
mj18 wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
Lycurgus wrote:Has anyone heard anything about the terror which is professor Bernie Joness?

It's not looking good for you:

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRat ... id=1194066

"The most beneficial thing you will get out of this class is an excuse for failing the bar."

"Awful, awful, awful, awful professor. She does not know the law. She cannot teach. She cannot make a fair exam. She cannot answer students' questions. She stopped teaching in MARCH and had us watching movies in law school. AVOID BERNIE JONES IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!"
I have a friend who was in 1D last year. All he said was every professor is great except Jones and that she contradicts herself when speaking different times on material that will be on the exam. Very scary..
I hate professors that don't clearly tell you what they expect from you on the exam. Especially when our whole grade depends on it. Might have to see about switching out of this section.
I don't think they let people switch out of sections. What I am thinking of doing and maybe others should as well is e-mailing the school and expressing concern about student comments regarding this teacher. Especially on ratemyprof.

If they are willing to negotiate on section assignments please let me know!

Lycurgus

New

Post by Lycurgus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Lycurgus wrote:
mj18 wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
Lycurgus wrote:Has anyone heard anything about the terror which is professor Bernie Joness?

It's not looking good for you:

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRat ... id=1194066

"The most beneficial thing you will get out of this class is an excuse for failing the bar."

"Awful, awful, awful, awful professor. She does not know the law. She cannot teach. She cannot make a fair exam. She cannot answer students' questions. She stopped teaching in MARCH and had us watching movies in law school. AVOID BERNIE JONES IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!"
I have a friend who was in 1D last year. All he said was every professor is great except Jones and that she contradicts herself when speaking different times on material that will be on the exam. Very scary..
Will do. Are you also in section D? Perhaps we should email them soon and let them know that we are concerned about the quality of the professor. Rate my professor is ALL negative about her. I've never seen that before.

I hate professors that don't clearly tell you what they expect from you on the exam. Especially when our whole grade depends on it. Might have to see about switching out of this section.

kevinwal

New

Post by kevinwal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:26 pm

I am in section D. Should I be worried?

BeanTownBee

New

Post by BeanTownBee » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:50 pm

I'm also in 1D. Lots of talk about changing Property professors or switching sections. Anyone know if that's possible or what the process is?

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:18 pm

Lol you won't be able to switch...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:31 pm

BCLS wrote:Lol you won't be able to switch...
The prodigal son returns!

But yeah, I agree, you won't be able to switch. We're all adults, sometimes your professors/bosses/girlfriends/parents suck. Life.

BeanTownBee

New

Post by BeanTownBee » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:14 pm

orm518 wrote: But yeah, I agree, you won't be able to switch. We're all adults, sometimes your professors/bosses/girlfriends/parents suck. Life.
I thought as much, but with a fair number of people talking about it I thought it was worth the question. I went to Suffolk Undergrad and knowing the right people has paid off in the past. Wouldn't be surprised if someone was able to do it.

BCLS wrote:Lol you won't be able to switch...
You learn a lot about Suffolk over at BC?

lebroniousjames

Bronze

Post by lebroniousjames » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:42 pm

Hey--can anyone offer a guess as to how much scholarship I'd get from Suffolk with a 3.4/3.5 and a 163? I'll also have a recommendation from a very prominent alumna.

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:06 pm

lebroniousjames wrote:Hey--can anyone offer a guess as to how much scholarship I'd get from Suffolk with a 3.4/3.5 and a 163? I'll also have a recommendation from a very prominent alumna.
Probably $30-35k, most full rides I've heard of are 165-ish. Maybe retake, hoping for 166-167, that'll get you a great shot at BU/BC and almost for sure a full at Suffolk.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lebroniousjames

Bronze

Post by lebroniousjames » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am

how is it that Suffolk doesn't have a TLS profile?

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:03 am

lebroniousjames wrote:how is it that Suffolk doesn't have a TLS profile?
I'm guessing it wouldn't be too kind, with how it does on these forums.

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:09 am

orm518 wrote:
lebroniousjames wrote:how is it that Suffolk doesn't have a TLS profile?
I'm guessing it wouldn't be too kind, with how it does on these forums.
TITCR. I guess you guys missed the thread in the legal employment section where a dude who was top 1/3 at Suffolk was unemployed and ended up getting shitlaw through a family connection. Are you guys not concerned about the job prospects?

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:48 am

Side note for others who attended tonight's swearing-in oath:

Not to get too technical, but the Tremont Temple has burned down a few times in its history. The current building was built in 1896. Lincoln didn't stand on THAT exact stage.

Source: MA History buff

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BeanTownBee

New

Post by BeanTownBee » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:51 am

no, but Jean-Luc Picard did.

lebroniousjames

Bronze

Post by lebroniousjames » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:41 pm

-
Last edited by lebroniousjames on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:55 am

The above is pure stupidity and not correct.

BeanTownBee

New

Post by BeanTownBee » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:39 am

BCLS wrote:The above is pure stupidity and not correct.

It's pretty interesting how the majority of your recent posts concern Suffolk. I'm beginning to think you're not a BC student at all but rather, you went to Suffolk, did awful, and think that posing as a BC student gives you authority to rag on Suffolk.

cue your predictable snide comment below, but I think I'm dead on.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

69Coronet

New

Post by 69Coronet » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:44 am

BeanTownBee wrote:

It's pretty interesting how the majority of your recent posts concern Suffolk. I'm beginning to think you're not a BC student at all but rather, you went to Suffolk, did awful, and think that posing as a BC student gives you authority to rag on Suffolk.

cue your predictable snide comment below, but I think I'm dead on.
I'm just about positive that you are right.
He is someone who graduated from Suffolk recently and graduated at the bottom of the class, therefore hasn't been able to get a job, and now goes around bashing the school.
Maturity at its finest, and he keeps coming back.

At any rate, I'm in 1C, and I got a full ride scholarship, so I'm not sure how they cluster the scholarship students. I would imagine they spread us out. Regardless of where they put their "best" professors, I'm happy with mine.

I am liking the school and the process so far. While it may have some sort of shit-rep here on TLS due to people who know nothing about the school other than what they think they know, I find the professors engaging and enjoyable, and the people I am surrounded by are intelligent and hard working, and not pompous stuck up douches like BCLS.

Also, just like lebroniusjames pointed out, if you paw through the legal directories at many large firms in major cities, you'll find Suffolk grads by the 10s, 20s, and even 30s at some of the Boston firms.

I'm busting my ass here as hard as I can, and I will do well enough to work where I want to work, even if I have to bust my ass in interviews to prove it.

Passing up the full scholarship was something I wasn't prepared to do, as at the very least, I'll graduate with very little debt from law school. That is more than most people can say, including the few I know attending/who have attended other, more "TLS-friendly" schools.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:22 pm

Strike 2. If you want to create a thread discussing the poor career prospects of Suffolk law grads, find an appropriate forum and have at it. Or perhaps if you want to discuss Suffolk's prospects here, the folks in this thread won't report you if you do it with some degree of respect and substantiated data. If you make yourself unwelcome in Suffolk threads though, you will be banned.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:31 pm

lebroniousjames wrote:there are plenty of schools ranked comparably to Suffolk with profiles that help inform prospective students about the school and its future professional prospects, which should allow them to establish more accurate expectations before making such an important decision.
Those profiles are, to describe them charitably, inaccurate. Because they rely on the schools' reported data (which at this point should be equivocated to lying...) the profiles do not present an honest representation of the school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”