Michigan State Admits Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
northwood

Platinum

Re: Michigan State Admits

Post by northwood » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:22 pm

the above is all very true. I was refering to the economy as a whole. Michigan has been in a lot of economic trouble for a while. They will take longer to recover, if ever.

PurplePirate

Bronze

Post by PurplePirate » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:59 am

My travel stipend was not granted due to lack of funds. I'm a bit disappointed.

Jlare

New

Post by Jlare » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:29 pm

ran12 wrote:
sanfranlove wrote:I'm sort of in the same situation. The scholarship really intrigues me, but I'm scared about the school being a TTT. Also, I'm from the West Coast and I'm not sure what the job situation would be like if I decided to return.

I applied only because they sent me several letters in the mail over the summer...

Same...I'm worried about how hard it could be to take the CA bar and move back to CA...
Prob not going to be an option unless you have connections.[/quote]

But, they do have quite a few alums in CA....looks like this school is trending from "regional school" to "national school" in regard to class profile over the years. They have alums all over the place and I've heard from current students that the Career Services Office has great connections (for intern/externships) in DC, Chicago, west coast and other larger metro areas. The Admissions rep I met with told me that this year's 1L class has more out of state students than in-state! (42% from Michigan, he said...)

DId you see the "ask an alum" feature on their admit site? You can email directly with recent grads--many of whom are living and working outside of Michigan.

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:06 pm

PurplePirate wrote:My travel stipend was not granted due to lack of funds. I'm a bit disappointed.
Seriously? I guess I won't be visiting :(. Their scholarships are so generous though. Not many schools offer stipends so I can see why they'd sell out.
Last edited by sabenser on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:10 pm

Jlare wrote:

But, they do have quite a few alums in CA....looks like this school is trending from "regional school" to "national school" in regard to class profile over the years. They have alums all over the place and I've heard from current students that the Career Services Office has great connections (for intern/externships) in DC, Chicago, west coast and other larger metro areas. The Admissions rep I met with told me that this year's 1L class has more out of state students than in-state! (42% from Michigan, he said...)

DId you see the "ask an alum" feature on their admit site? You can email directly with recent grads--many of whom are living and working outside of Michigan.

I'm naturally suspicious, I suppose. But are you an admissions rep from MSU? created your profile today and this was your first and only post.

Regardless, I don't have any issue with the data per se, but I'm not sure I buy the assertion that just because a majority of students are non-michiganders that it is transitioning into a "national school" Even if you are to define a national school as a school that has the majority of matriculating students from OOS, I think one should be clear about the distinction between the class profile and geographical placement. I haven't reviewed the OCI placement data or those firms that are actively recruiting at MSU, but I would imagine that this is far from indicative of a national school.

There's nothing wrong with being a regional school, but just because MSU has a dozen students from CA doesn't mean that the transition back to CA is going to be easy even with a facilitated connection to alumni that currently work in that area.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jlare

New

Post by Jlare » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:01 pm

TommyK wrote:
Jlare wrote:

I'm naturally suspicious, I suppose. But are you an admissions rep from MSU? created your profile today and this was your first and only post.

Regardless, I don't have any issue with the data per se, but I'm not sure I buy the assertion that just because a majority of students are non-michiganders that it is transitioning into a "national school" Even if you are to define a national school as a school that has the majority of matriculating students from OOS, I think one should be clear about the distinction between the class profile and geographical placement. I haven't reviewed the OCI placement data or those firms that are actively recruiting at MSU, but I would imagine that this is far from indicative of a national school.

No, but i am an undergrad at MSU and just recently decided to consider law school. I might wait a year before I apply, not sure yet. I've met with a lot of the reps in admissions since I go here and I'm on campus a few days a week. They talk about their out of state alums a lot. I just get the sense that being physically on campus for more than a decade now, MSU Law is moving away from their former (Detroit College of Law) roots toward a mix of students like the main university attracts. My friend's sister went here about 10 years ago and she said most of the students then were all from Michigan.

I also tried to post on another thread that talked about living options, since I live here, but my post isn't there anymore. Oh well. I also never implied that moving anywhere to work after LS would be easy, but it's certainly possible. I guess I don't understand why people feel so locked to one area because of a school. If you want to live somewhere else after LS, then make that a priority when you are there.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Jlare wrote: No, but i am an undergrad at MSU and just recently decided to consider law school. I might wait a year before I apply, not sure yet. I've met with a lot of the reps in admissions since I go here and I'm on campus a few days a week. They talk about their out of state alums a lot. I just get the sense that being physically on campus for more than a decade now, MSU Law is moving away from their former (Detroit College of Law) roots toward a mix of students like the main university attracts. My friend's sister went here about 10 years ago and she said most of the students then were all from Michigan.

I also tried to post on another thread that talked about living options, since I live here, but my post isn't there anymore. Oh well. I also never implied that moving anywhere to work after LS would be easy, but it's certainly possible. I guess I don't understand why people feel so locked to one area because of a school. If you want to live somewhere else after LS, then make that a priority when you are there.
Fair enough. Welcome to the board then and good luck on your decision on whether to and where to attend law school.

I think you're right about MSU trying to change their image by being affiliated with a large university and them being largely successful at it. I think the reason people feel so locked into an area is that the legal market is heavily saturated and the demand for recent graduates has decreased significantly over the last few years. Add to that an increase in recent grads, and it's an employer's market. And when added to this difficulty the fact that an applicant has no personal connection to the firm and little to the region, it makes it considerably more difficult to get a job with which the applicant is happy.

And while it is possible to make that move, it may not be possible for every grad, or even the vast majority of graduates.

Jlare

New

Post by Jlare » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:54 pm

TommyK wrote:
Jlare wrote: No, but i am an undergrad at MSU and just recently decided to consider law school. I might wait a year before I apply, not sure yet. I've met with a lot of the reps in admissions since I go here and I'm on campus a few days a week. They talk about their out of state alums a lot. I just get the sense that being physically on campus for more than a decade now, MSU Law is moving away from their former (Detroit College of Law) roots toward a mix of students like the main university attracts. My friend's sister went here about 10 years ago and she said most of the students then were all from Michigan.

Fair enough. Welcome to the board then and good luck on your decision on whether to and where to attend law school.

I think you're right about MSU trying to change their image by being affiliated with a large university and them being largely successful at it. I think the reason people feel so locked into an area is that the legal market is heavily saturated and the demand for recent graduates has decreased significantly over the last few years. Add to that an increase in recent grads, and it's an employer's market. And when added to this difficulty the fact that an applicant has no personal connection to the firm and little to the region, it makes it considerably more difficult to get a job with which the applicant is happy.

And while it is possible to make that move, it may not be possible for every grad, or even the vast majority of graduates.
Good points. Thanks.
I'm a non-traditional undergrad--came back to school after a few years off--and I'm not from Michigan, so I guess I just view moving around differently. That said, although not an expert by ANY means, I have lived in this town for quite a while now, so if anyone has questions about living in the East Lansing area, rents, neighborhoods, etc. Don't hesitate to ask.

Also, the Law School is such a nice facility. I"ve met a lot of the people here and I'm just really impressed.

Good luck to you.

reilanrc

New

Post by reilanrc » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:23 pm

Just put in my security deposit at MSU a few days ago...wondering who else is headed there in the class of '14/if they've looked into any housing options. Also, I started a MSU law class of '14 topic here.... http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=152563

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”