CU - Boulder class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
DLBinSPG

New

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Post by DLBinSPG » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:05 pm

I'm excited about the March ASD. I've never been to Colorado or anywhere else west of the Mississippi. Also excited to go to a smaller city (from NYC).

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:25 pm

What are the chances we see some scholarships delivered this week? And by we I mean you all. I fully expect to spend the next several weeks waiting for an aid package that isn't coming.

By the way, welcome to the thread DLBin. I've never been to Boulder, so I'm pretty excited to get out there and see it also.

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:17 pm

It has become fairly customary for me to check out potential law schools' apparel choices.
CU does not fail me.
--LinkRemoved--
I dig it.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:46 pm

When visiting Boulder, drink lots of water. Without sufficient hydration for those unaccustomed to high altitudes, headaches are common. (This is why Machu Pichu visitors get cocaine tea.) Also, exercise is not a good idea until your body adjusts to the altitude--which often takes about 3 months.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:52 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:When visiting Boulder, drink lots of water. Without sufficient hydration for those unaccustomed to high altitudes, headaches are common. (This is why Machu Pichu visitors get cocaine tea.) Also, exercise is not a good idea until your body adjusts to the altitude--which often takes about 3 months.
3 months! There is NO WAY I'm going 3 months without exercising/running...

I think I would go crazy, especially in law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:29 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:When visiting Boulder, drink lots of water. Without sufficient hydration for those unaccustomed to high altitudes, headaches are common. (This is why Machu Pichu visitors get cocaine tea.) Also, exercise is not a good idea until your body adjusts to the altitude--which often takes about 3 months.

Yeah, what? This sounds awful!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:32 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:

I wouldn't wait 3 months for it.

I used to visit colorado for ski trips when I was in high school and during the summers to hike. Granted I ran at nationals for AAU/Nike/USATF but it is manageable when you first set foot there. You're going to be winded really quickly though. Just don't expect you're going to clip off miles at your usual pace for the first month or so. You'll adjust, it's not as big of an issue as people make it out to be. It's not like you're having to adjust to the gravity of Jupiter or something.

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:35 pm

When I was younger my family moved from sea level and a moderately humid area to where my family currently lives now about 4500 ft above sea level and a very dry area (Boulder is about 5400 ft). It is true that it is tough to stay hydrated, but you will have no problems reminding yourself to drink enough water, because you will be thirsty ALL the time.

As for exercise. In my opinion, as long as you remain hydrated, exercising isn't an issue. I would suggest electrolyte drinks or buying some electrolyte suppliment powder to add to your water, if you are having trouble staying hydrated (i.e. feeling light headed, dizzy, etc). In some pharmacies you can find these electrolyte mixes or even in select camping/outdoor stores. They are generally used for people who are ill and have issues staying hydrated when water isn't enough. I've used them before and they provide you immediate relief (at least when you are sick), but taste awful.

That being said... My experience has taught me that aerobic exercise is going to be "uncomfortable" for the first few weeks. If you're coming from a lower altitude your lungs will not be accustomed to the thinner air and that burning sensation you get in your chest from working out hard will come a lot sooner, if not immediately, haha. My advice is to build back up to where you were before and not come in expecting to be able to perform at the same level.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:56 pm

ptblazer wrote:When I was younger my family moved from sea level and a moderately humid area to where my family currently lives now about 4500 ft above sea level and a very dry area (Boulder is about 5400 ft). It is true that it is tough to stay hydrated, but you will have no problems reminding yourself to drink enough water, because you will be thirsty ALL the time.

As for exercise. In my opinion, as long as you remain hydrated, exercising isn't an issue. I would suggest electrolyte drinks or buying some electrolyte suppliment powder to add to your water, if you are having trouble staying hydrated (i.e. feeling light headed, dizzy, etc). In some pharmacies you can find these electrolyte mixes or even in select camping/outdoor stores. They are generally used for people who are ill and have issues staying hydrated when water isn't enough. I've used them before and they provide you immediate relief (at least when you are sick), but taste awful.

That being said... My experience has taught me that aerobic exercise is going to be "uncomfortable" for the first few weeks. If you're coming from a lower altitude your lungs will not be accustomed to the thinner air and that burning sensation you get in your chest from working out hard will come a lot sooner, if not immediately, haha. My advice is to build back up to where you were before and not come in expecting to be able to perform at the same level.
Agree with you on a lot of things.

I totally forgot about electrolyte powder. The biggest thing for people coming from sea level is to buy a humidifier for your house / apartment. This will save you on nosebleeds / headaches / dry mouth in the morning when you wake up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:03 pm

Ooh thanks for all the helpful hints and tips about adjusting to altitude! And I fully expect to get passed on the trails by lots of people.

I have done okay in Mammoth in the past, but that is not nearly as high up as Boulder is.

I just hope we're all standing after those "potent" margaritas on ASD. :wink:

bananeez

Bronze

Post by bananeez » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:34 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:Ooh thanks for all the helpful hints and tips about adjusting to altitude! And I fully expect to get passed on the trails by lots of people.

I have done okay in Mammoth in the past, but that is not nearly as high up as Boulder is.

I just hope we're all standing after those "potent" margaritas on ASD. :wink:
Yeah... I was planning on not telling any of you about this to see what would happen at happy hour. :wink:

Although I agree with the altitude advice, I don't think you should all take it as quite as dramatic as everyone is saying. You WILL notice a difference, and I wouldn't push yourself in exercise at first (you don't need three months), and recommend drinking lots of water when you first get there. And if you start to feel the effects, Gatorade is a good idea. Watch all of this more if you go hiking/skiing. But most people won't have much of an issue, will just need to train your lungs a little for running, etc.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:11 pm

are there any running / skiing groups on campus? at the law school (not interested in interacting with fratty undergrads)

I'd like to do both with a group of 1L's or something if possible.

Also, I noticed that El Dora closes at 4, is there anywhere else close that has night skiing so I can bang out a few runs after classes?

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:43 pm

Hi guys :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:01 am

typ3 wrote:are there any running / skiing groups on campus? at the law school (not interested in interacting with fratty undergrads)

Also, I noticed that El Dora closes at 4, is there anywhere else close that has night skiing so I can bang out a few runs after classes?
If you can keep up, I might let you run with me :D

All kidding aside, we should definitely make it up to the mountains as much as possible.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:05 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
typ3 wrote:are there any running / skiing groups on campus? at the law school (not interested in interacting with fratty undergrads)

All kidding aside, we should definitely make it up to the mountains as much as possible.
Are you a boarder or a skiier? Plus, I have to get accepted first. 170/3.6 OOS and still nothing from CU.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:12 am

typ3 wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

Are you a boarder or a skiier? Plus, I have to get accepted first. 170/3.6 OOS and still nothing from CU.
Neither, seeing as I have only skied once in my lifetime. I've never boarded but going to try
in March at the ASW.

I think you should definitely get in with those #s. I am out of state and got in, and my #s
are much lower than yours. LSAT wise, at least.

All my time sports wise is spent running, lol.
Last edited by queenlizzie13 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:13 am

thewarflamingo wrote:Hi guys :D
Hi flamingo

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:19 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
typ3 wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

Neither, seeing as I have only skied once in my lifetime. I've never boarded but going to try
in March at the ASW.

I think you should definitely get in with those #s. I am out of state and got in, and my #s
are much lower than yours. LSAT wise, at least.

All my time sports wise is spent running, lol.

Ah, I do both. I think skiing is easier to pick up but harder to master. It's harder to pick up boarding but easier to master.

I'd vouch for the skis though if you're on the fence between them. Too bad I probably won't get a stipend in time for March ASW. If so I'll hit the slopes and bars with you folks.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:29 am

typ3 wrote: Ah, I do both. I think skiing is easier to pick up but harder to master. It's harder to pick up boarding but easier to master.

I'd vouch for the skis though if you're on the fence between them. Too bad I probably won't get a stipend in time for March ASW. If so I'll hit the slopes and bars with you folks.
I said this same thing in the previous thread!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:33 am

LeDique wrote:
typ3 wrote: Ah, I do both. I think skiing is easier to pick up but harder to master. It's harder to pick up boarding but easier to master.

I'm glad someone else agrees with me. I'm sick of the stupid debate over both of them that you hear on the chair lifts. I just happen to swing for skiing. I hate buckling and unbuckling. I like to be able to get into some resorts that are still exclusive to skis like Deer Valley UT. I like poles for cat walks and for the run off runs at the base of places like vail when it's mid / late season and slushy.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:34 am

Given that the membership any law school running/skiing groups would be roughly identical to CU Law's list of enrolled students, the existence of such groups would be kinda' silly. ;)

Seriously though, It's worth keeping in mind that CU Law is fairly small, and you'll know most folks in your class. If there were more of us, such clubs might be useful. As it is, however, if you want to go skiing/running, you can just get with classmates who you know like skiing/running before Contracts - no need for a club.

-Pufer

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:48 am

typ3 wrote:
LeDique wrote:

I'm glad someone else agrees with me. I'm sick of the stupid debate over both of them that you hear on the chair lifts. I just happen to swing for skiing. I hate buckling and unbuckling. I like to be able to get into some resorts that are still exclusive to skis like Deer Valley UT. I like poles for cat walks and for the run off runs at the base of places like vail when it's mid / late season and slushy.
I almost always avoid the discussion entirely. I grew up on skis first because it was what my mom did. I tried snowboarding in middle school and high school, but I always liked skiing better. Saw no reason to continue doing both when my snowboard got too short, so I haven't snowboarded in ages. I don't judge people by race, or what they put on their feet to go down snowy hills :P

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:56 am

LeDique wrote:
typ3 wrote:
LeDique wrote:

I almost always avoid the discussion entirely. I grew up on skis first because it was what my mom did. I tried snowboarding in middle school and high school, but I always liked skiing better. Saw no reason to continue doing both when my snowboard got too short, so I haven't snowboarded in ages. I don't judge people by race, or what they put on their feet to go down snowy hills :P
Oh. I definitely judge what is on the feet.

If they go down the hill on snowskates they deserve to have their lift ticket pulled imo.

Also, if you're on skis I feel you're a very go go go type person. If you snow board you are very laid back, like to hit the terrain park, bathe in the sun, hit the chalet, etc.

I just try to crank out as many runs as I can.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:07 am

bananeez wrote:I just got this message over LSN:
Hello
I am Anna Enrey,a Filipino by nationality, And once President,Joseph Estrada courier mistress. Honestly I would like to have an investment and confidant relationship with you.i need your assist to claims of some funds I deposited in a trusted finance company , The Amount is $9.5M 4more details email me at: ( anna.enrey@yahoo.com) All major cost are settled.
Anna
Nice try, OldHippie. Not buying the courier mistress cover. You're just going to have to wait and see what CU gives you.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:38 pm

oldhippie wrote:
bananeez wrote:I just got this message over LSN:
Hello
I am Anna Enrey,a Filipino by nationality, And once President,Joseph Estrada courier mistress. Honestly I would like to have an investment and confidant relationship with you.i need your assist to claims of some funds I deposited in a trusted finance company , The Amount is $9.5M 4more details email me at: ( anna.enrey@yahoo.com) All major cost are settled.
Anna
Nice try, OldHippie. Not buying the courier mistress cover. You're just going to have to wait and see what CU gives you.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

HEY! I sent you my credit card information along with my social security number and I found $4,500 of charges from amazon to be delivered to Zaire on my statement. Where's my cut of your $9.5M??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”