CU - Boulder class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
upfish

Silver

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Post by upfish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:44 am

thewarflamingo wrote:40 minutes away for a decent mexican place? I can handle that. I wish Santa Fe was closer to Boulder, so I could make some trips to eat at Tomasita's, hmm it may be worth the 5 hour drive though...
D= I eat at my local taco place like 3x a week when I'm busy because it's cheap, delicious, and relatively healthy for being so quick.

Sad panda. But with enough scholarship money I might be able to overlook Colorado's whiteness. =p

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:47 am

yeah, i'll have to deal with the cheap yet acceptable fare too since we'll definitely be eating it at least once a week if not more....but 40 minutes for the good stuff is totally ok with me on occasion :D

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:53 am

I know this all makes me sound like I am just in love with food, but how is CO's Vietnamese? I basically live off tacos, banh mi, and sushi, so I need to know if my three food groups are available. :wink:

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:56 am

upfish wrote:I know this all makes me sound like I am just in love with food, but how is CO's Vietnamese? I basically live off tacos, banh mi, and sushi, so I need to know if my three food groups are available. :wink:
You are officially my new restaurant exploration buddy in CO.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:01 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
upfish wrote:I know this all makes me sound like I am just in love with food, but how is CO's Vietnamese? I basically live off tacos, banh mi, and sushi, so I need to know if my three food groups are available. :wink:
i want in too...i freaking love food.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:07 am

oldhippie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
Of course everyone, except picky eaters, is invited.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:45 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
oldhippie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
Of course everyone, except picky eaters, is invited.
Yes! I love this plan, haha.

bananeez

Bronze

Post by bananeez » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:57 pm

There are some very, very good restaurants in Boulder. I don't think you guys will be disappointed... and I'm excited to maybe get back there!!

For Vietnamese... The only place I can think of right now is Chez Thuy, which is pretty good (but I haven't eaten there in several years).

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:13 pm

bananeez wrote:There are some very, very good restaurants in Boulder. I don't think you guys will be disappointed... and I'm excited to maybe get back there!!

For Vietnamese... The only place I can think of right now is Chez Thuy, which is pretty good (but I haven't eaten there in several years).
"...Maybe get back there"?? Haha, you sound less confident today than you did just a couple weeks ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bananeez

Bronze

Post by bananeez » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:24 pm

ptblazer wrote:
bananeez wrote:There are some very, very good restaurants in Boulder. I don't think you guys will be disappointed... and I'm excited to maybe get back there!!

"...Maybe get back there"?? Haha, you sound less confident today than you did just a couple weeks ago.
Haha. I need coffee. And a scholarship. :wink:

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:10 pm

bananeez wrote:
ptblazer wrote:

Haha. I need coffee. And a scholarship. :wink:
Me too...

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:59 pm

So I'm considering renting a car for getting around. If it's snowy, are the roads bad? My mom was saying that she remembers CO being meticulous about road clearing, but who knows. As a lifelong Southerner, I've had very little experience w/ice and driving, so I wouldn't really want to risk a rental car on my drive from Denver to Boulder.

Also, I turn 25 3/11, but will obvs be renting the car 3/3-3/5. Do you guys think I can charm the rental people into not making me pay the enormous extra fees? :wink: :mrgreen:

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:22 pm

upfish wrote:So I'm considering renting a car for getting around. If it's snowy, are the roads bad? My mom was saying that she remembers CO being meticulous about road clearing, but who knows. As a lifelong Southerner, I've had very little experience w/ice and driving, so I wouldn't really want to risk a rental car on my drive from Denver to Boulder.

Also, I turn 25 3/11, but will obvs be renting the car 3/3-3/5. Do you guys think I can charm the rental people into not making me pay the enormous extra fees? :wink: :mrgreen:
Haha that's like asking if it's ok to serve a 20 year old alcohol a week before their 21st birthday :wink: lol jk I hope you can convince them and I've heard the same thing about CO being great with road clearing, I don't think you should have any problems.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:07 pm

Plenty of decent-or-better sushi. The Vietnamese restaurants in Boulder are mostly of the glorified pho house variety, but the Vietnamese stuff is better than the Mexican is in Boulder county. The real places to hit up for Vietnamese aren't too far away, however.

For solid, close Vietnamese dishes, there's a little place in Lafayette where I don't even have to order anymore I go there so often - I just walk in and they bring me the usual (although I don't think I remember bahn mi on the menu). You can go a little further to Broomfield (next to the nearest asian market) and find second locations for most of the better Denver pho houses (indeed, 1L year, every Friday for lunch, a bunch of folks would head out to one of the Vietnamese joints in Broomfield), which all have limited non-pho menus. That said, you have to drive into Denver for the good stuff along Federal.

Boulder is really kind of a no-man's zone for ethnic cuisine of any variety. There's damn fine generic American (steaks and the like), fusion, and fancy stuff, but none of the ethnic joints are anything to really write home about.

-Pufer

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:15 pm

Pufer wrote:
Plenty of decent-or-better sushi. The Vietnamese restaurants in Boulder are mostly of the glorified pho house variety, but the Vietnamese stuff is better than the Mexican is in Boulder county. The real places to hit up for Vietnamese aren't too far away, however.

For solid, close Vietnamese dishes, there's a little place in Lafayette where I don't even have to order anymore I go there so often - I just walk in and they bring me the usual (although I don't think I remember bahn mi on the menu). You can go a little further to Broomfield (next to the nearest asian market) and find second locations for most of the better Denver pho houses (indeed, 1L year, every Friday for lunch, a bunch of folks would head out to one of the Vietnamese joints in Broomfield), which all have limited non-pho menus. That said, you have to drive into Denver for the good stuff along Federal.

Boulder is really kind of a no-man's zone for ethnic cuisine of any variety. There's damn fine generic American (steaks and the like), fusion, and fancy stuff, but none of the ethnic joints are anything to really write home about.

-Pufer
I plan to live in Denver and commute, so it might be less of a problem. But after I see Boulder at the ASD, I might change my mind. I'm just more of a big city person.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:15 pm

Dear Potential Future Classmates,

Work is hella boring today. I keep checking TLS but there are no new posts that I care about.

So, first world problems, I guess.

2 weeks and some days 'til ASD!

bananeez

Bronze

Post by bananeez » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:27 pm

upfish wrote:Dear Potential Future Classmates,

Work is hella boring today. I keep checking TLS but there are no new posts that I care about.

I'm bored too. And it was just announced in my office that I'm leaving, so everyone keeps coming up to me, going, "Law school???"

Why do you plan on living in Denver?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:49 pm

bananeez wrote:
upfish wrote:Dear Potential Future Classmates,

I'm bored too. And it was just announced in my office that I'm leaving, so everyone keeps coming up to me, going, "Law school???"

Why do you plan on living in Denver?
Yeah, my office hired me knowing I planned to leave next August. They've been totally awesome about everything. Gave me the week off for the LSAT to do practice tests, and are fine w/me being gone like 5 days in March for all these school visits. =)

Everything I've read about Boulder makes it sound really suburban, and I just can't deal with that almost-a-city thing anymore. It's a lot smaller than my hometown of Tulsa, OK, which was already small enough. I like skylines and activity and old buildings and stuff. And while Denver is still a whole lot whiter than Houston, it's at least not as white as Boulder. I might have weird metrics, but there you go, haha.

Are you planning on living in Boulder?

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:12 pm

I'm bored as well... I'm also starting to get pretty nervous about the cost of law school. CU had better come through with some money. I already have UG debt and I don't need to add another 130k onto that total.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:16 pm

no kidding, at least send someone something about $$ for heaven's sake!!!
getting antsy. i want to go ahead, send in the seat depost, get financial aid set up....but instead i get to continue learning to be patient :D

bananeez

Bronze

Post by bananeez » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:35 pm

+1, Yeah, not good with this patient thing either.

Boulder is definitely too white. But I think there's more to do than you'd imagine. I definitely plan on living in Boulder if I attend CU. I love it. But I live in D.C. now, and I am worried about missing a lot of things you get out of a city. But you can always take weekend trips to Denver.

I had to keep it secret that I was applying to law school, so everyone is giving me the "WTF?" this week.

Let's get excited about CU's ASD. I think we have a fun group. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:36 pm

upfish wrote:Everything I've read about Boulder makes it sound really suburban, and I just can't deal with that almost-a-city thing anymore. It's a lot smaller than my hometown of Tulsa, OK, which was already small enough. I like skylines and activity and old buildings and stuff. And while Denver is still a whole lot whiter than Houston, it's at least not as white as Boulder. I might have weird metrics, but there you go, haha.
I would probably argue that Boulder isn't as sleepy as it might seem (a lot of the small town features are artificial, including the population cap - Boulder is more realistically a 300,000 person town, the extra 200k just have addresses that are nominally outside of Boulder). There's way more activity than you'd think there should be and, although there is no skyline (the lack of skyline also being artificially ordained by ordinance), there are certainly plenty of old buildings. That said, it is probably more of a stunted Tulsa-sized city than a Denver. But there's definitely a huge difference between Boulder and any actual suburb.

-Pufer

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Pufer wrote:
upfish wrote:Everything I've read about Boulder makes it sound really suburban, and I just can't deal with that almost-a-city thing anymore. It's a lot smaller than my hometown of Tulsa, OK, which was already small enough. I like skylines and activity and old buildings and stuff. And while Denver is still a whole lot whiter than Houston, it's at least not as white as Boulder. I might have weird metrics, but there you go, haha.
I would probably argue that Boulder isn't as sleepy as it might seem (a lot of the small town features are artificial, including the population cap - Boulder is more realistically a 300,000 person town, the extra 200k just have addresses that are nominally outside of Boulder). There's way more activity than you'd think there should be and, although there is no skyline (the lack of skyline also being artificially ordained by ordinance), there are certainly plenty of old buildings. That said, it is probably more of a stunted Tulsa-sized city than a Denver. But there's definitely a huge difference between Boulder and any actual suburb.

-Pufer
Yeah, Tulsa is at about 400k population wise. I like my 2.5 million people city way better, haha.

And it's that type of ordinance situation I'm trying to avoid. I think of "suburb" as meaning "a la Plano, TX" where everything is kind of faked and made quaint by people's (imho) insane desire for hegemony.

For example, about 2 years before I graduated, the University of Tulsa tore out all our old-growth trees and replaced them with long lines of trees that were cloned from the same seed. -.-

But we'll see, I guess.

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:45 pm

bananeez wrote:+1, Yeah, not good with this patient thing either.

Boulder is definitely too white. But I think there's more to do than you'd imagine. I definitely plan on living in Boulder if I attend CU. I love it. But I live in D.C. now, and I am worried about missing a lot of things you get out of a city. But you can always take weekend trips to Denver.

I had to keep it secret that I was applying to law school, so everyone is giving me the "WTF?" this week.

Let's get excited about CU's ASD. I think we have a fun group. :D
Okay I'll get excited about ASD, but my excitment is going to be tempered unless I get some money. I fully expect I'm going to be one of those that would have to pay sticker and if that is the case I'm not really sure I can justify attending. I agree though, this seems like a pretty fun group and it would be great to attend law school with all of you.

bananeez

Bronze

Post by bananeez » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:58 pm

ptblazer wrote: Okay I'll get excited about ASD, but my excitment is going to be tempered unless I get some money. I fully expect I'm going to be one of those that would have to pay sticker and if that is the case I'm not really sure I can justify attending. I agree though, this seems like a pretty fun group and it would be great to attend law school with all of you.
We all love each other SO much. :wink:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”