CU - Boulder class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
upfish

Silver

Re: CU - Boulder class of 2014

Post by upfish » Tue May 10, 2011 8:54 pm

ptblazer wrote:
upfish wrote:Alright, guys, as much as I hate to say goodbye to the beautiful campus, the wonderful programs, and everything else I loved about Colorado, I am withdrawing this week. I got into UH Law, which is a perfect fit for me since I don't have to pay COL.

I will miss you guys so much! You were easily the most supportive people on this site! Look me up if you're ever in Htown. :)

Good luck at CU! I'm jealous but happy with my choice. 8)
I'm so happy you got into UH!! That sounds like the best option for you.

Good luck and let us know if you are ever in Boulder.
Will do! Thanks! =)

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Wed May 11, 2011 8:41 am

upfish wrote:Alright, guys, as much as I hate to say goodbye to the beautiful campus, the wonderful programs, and everything else I loved about Colorado, I am withdrawing this week. I got into UH Law, which is a perfect fit for me since I don't have to pay COL.

I will miss you guys so much! You were easily the most supportive people on this site! Look me up if you're ever in Htown. :)

congrats upfish!!! sounds like a great choice for you...and if you ever make it back to boulder, give us a shout and we'll have a drink!!

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Wed May 11, 2011 11:30 am

oldhippie wrote:

congrats upfish!!! sounds like a great choice for you...and if you ever make it back to boulder, give us a shout and we'll have a drink!!

For sure!

calified

New

Post by calified » Thu May 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Maury Levy wrote:
ptblazer wrote: good luck... I emailed someone at finaid last week and again yesterday to get response on that, just to make sure. Unresponded emails are quickly becoming an annoyance to me, especially to business email addresses where I feel like it isn't unreasonable to expect a response in 1-2 business days.
The fact that their phone lines seemed pretty tied up is probably pretty telling about how busy the office, which handles the entire school, is currently.
I"m not sure if someone already answered this, I haven't finished reading all the posts but - my scholarship info wasn't there either. I called them and they said a bunch went out without it by accident so just subtract your scholarship form the loan :)

catinthewall

Bronze

Post by catinthewall » Fri May 13, 2011 5:22 pm

CO gun laws...

Do any current students/CO residents know the specifics for concealed carry in CO? My research indicates I'll have to go through the county sheriff's office, and I was wondering if they have reciprocity with any states. I have it in TX, WA, and VA...

Thanks!

~cat in the wall

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Maury Levy

New

Post by Maury Levy » Fri May 13, 2011 5:46 pm

11-12 Tuition and Fees have been posted.

http://bursar.colorado.edu/tuition-fees ... te-sheets/

COA budget numbers have been updated on the Law School's FinAid page too.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:08 pm

Maury Levy wrote:11-12 Tuition and Fees have been posted.

http://bursar.colorado.edu/tuition-fees ... te-sheets/

COA budget numbers have been updated on the Law School's FinAid page too.
Thanks! Looks like they upped the rent allowance to $838/person, which is good because the rent I have will allow for slightly less than $100/month extra. You never know when that extra $$ will come in handy!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri May 13, 2011 8:11 pm

catinthewall wrote:CO gun laws...

Do any current students/CO residents know the specifics for concealed carry in CO? My research indicates I'll have to go through the county sheriff's office, and I was wondering if they have reciprocity with any states. I have it in TX, WA, and VA...

Thanks!

~cat in the wall
http://cbi.state.co.us/ic/Reciprocity.html

It looks like we have reciprocity with Texas.

catinthewall

Bronze

Post by catinthewall » Fri May 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

Thanks!

~cat in the wall

Sweet. You rock. Thank you!! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Sat May 14, 2011 2:57 pm

catinthewall wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Thanks!

~cat in the wall

To get in-state tuition, you'll need to get a CO driver's license within 30 days of establishing residency (which is to say, within 120 days of moving here if you're unemployed and intend to establish residency (90 day statutory period plus 30 day grace period); you establish residency on your first day of in-state employment, so if you're employed, it's 30 days). Once you lose your out-of-state DL (you're required to surrender it to get your CO one), all of your previous concealed carry permits become null and void for reciprocity purposes in CO. In other words, you will have reciprocity when you come here, but it won't last long.

Worth considering, however, that there's nothing saying that students ever have to establish residency (although this means you can never hold any sort of job in CO, can never register your vehicles here, probably shouldn't get a CO phone number, have to leave the state within 30 days of graduating, etc.) if you don't want/need in-state (although I imagine that's a small category of people).

-Pufer

LawSchoolPorFavor

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolPorFavor » Sat May 14, 2011 10:29 pm

so this might sound silly, but what if you don't have a driver's license (I'm from nyc, have a permit for ID purposes)...will getting a permit in CO start residency or does it have to be a license?

catinthewall

Bronze

Post by catinthewall » Sun May 15, 2011 6:28 am

Pufer wrote:
catinthewall wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Thanks!

~cat in the wall

To get in-state tuition, you'll need to get a CO driver's license within 30 days of establishing residency (which is to say, within 120 days of moving here if you're unemployed and intend to establish residency (90 day statutory period plus 30 day grace period); you establish residency on your first day of in-state employment, so if you're employed, it's 30 days). Once you lose your out-of-state DL (you're required to surrender it to get your CO one), all of your previous concealed carry permits become null and void for reciprocity purposes in CO. In other words, you will have reciprocity when you come here, but it won't last long.

Worth considering, however, that there's nothing saying that students ever have to establish residency (although this means you can never hold any sort of job in CO, can never register your vehicles here, probably shouldn't get a CO phone number, have to leave the state within 30 days of graduating, etc.) if you don't want/need in-state (although I imagine that's a small category of people).

-Pufer
There are slightly different rules for the military (I maintained my TX residency long after I was stationed in TX because of the really nice no-income tax deal). I'll remain employed by the military while I'm in CO too, and all I will have to do is show my orders when applying for CO residency. I absolutely intend on switching to CO by the end of my first year because of my scholarship, but I will be holding on to TX as long as I can for tax purposes.

Thanks for the additional info!

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Sun May 15, 2011 11:04 am

LawSchoolPorFavor wrote:so this might sound silly, but what if you don't have a driver's license (I'm from nyc, have a permit for ID purposes)...will getting a permit in CO start residency or does it have to be a license?
As far as I know there is no rule requiring someone to have a driver's license to establish residency (just like you have the option to register to vote or not). Obtaining a driver's license is just one of several steps a person can take to show residency and as long as you aren't using one from another state (or operating a vehicle), I don't see it being an issue.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun May 15, 2011 11:11 am

But you may have to switch your NYC subway pass to a Denver/Boulder bus pass.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Mon May 16, 2011 11:28 am

ok, i have kind of a stupid question that i'd rather ask y'all than someone in admissions...
is there anything i'm supposed to do at this point? i mean, as far as i know my FAFSA is there, i've sent in both deposits, my transcripts have been recieved, i sent in the honor code agreement.....now do i just wait? will loan info just come to me? will i be registered for classes? get an email? all that crap?
i feel like there has been so much to do and now it's just........................and it feels like i'm missing something!!

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Mon May 16, 2011 11:40 am

oldhippie wrote:ok, i have kind of a stupid question that i'd rather ask y'all than someone in admissions...
is there anything i'm supposed to do at this point? i mean, as far as i know my FAFSA is there, i've sent in both deposits, my transcripts have been recieved, i sent in the honor code agreement.....now do i just wait? will loan info just come to me? will i be registered for classes? get an email? all that crap?
i feel like there has been so much to do and now it's just........................and it feels like i'm missing something!!
Haha, I've been struggling with the same feeling now for the past few weeks. After the long process of studying for the LSAT, applying for schools, waiting for decisions, waiting for finaid, visiting schools, sending in deposits ect... it just feels like there is something next. Since you've sent in both deposits and the transcripts, I don't think there is anything left for you to do (except move to Boulder, haha). The loan information will be sent to us and then we will have to apply for/accept the loans offered, I think this should be happening relatively soon. I'm almost certain that they register all the classes for you and just give you your schedule which probably wont happen till later this summer.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:13 pm

ptblazer wrote:
oldhippie wrote:ok, i have kind of a stupid question that i'd rather ask y'all than someone in admissions...
Haha, I've been struggling with the same feeling now for the past few weeks. After the long process of studying for the LSAT, applying for schools, waiting for decisions, waiting for finaid, visiting schools, sending in deposits ect... it just feels like there is something next. Since you've sent in both deposits and the transcripts, I don't think there is anything left for you to do (except move to Boulder, haha). The loan information will be sent to us and then we will have to apply for/accept the loans offered, I think this should be happening relatively soon. I'm almost certain that they register all the classes for you and just give you your schedule which probably wont happen till later this summer.
Have you sent in both seat deposits then? I still have to send in my second one...

Also, has anyone looked at the schedule of classes? It doesn't seem that bad. Generally start at 9:00AM or 9:30AM and then go until 2:00/2:30PM.

But I am slightly concerned by the fact that we have 5 classes the first semester...anyone else concerned about this?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LawSchoolPorFavor

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolPorFavor » Mon May 16, 2011 12:15 pm

It looks like the COA worksheet has officially updated. It says we should be expecting our official financial aid letters in May (hahhaha, which is now)

--LinkRemoved--
(also accessible through the admitted students portal)

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Mon May 16, 2011 12:41 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote: Have you sent in both seat deposits then? I still have to send in my second one...

Also, has anyone looked at the schedule of classes? It doesn't seem that bad. Generally start at 9:00AM or 9:30AM and then go until 2:00/2:30PM.

But I am slightly concerned by the fact that we have 5 classes the first semester...anyone else concerned about this?
yeah, i sent my second one last week...i figured why wait?
and i'm with you on the schedule, i thought it looked better than i expected. hell, 9am is heaven compared to my schedule now!
hadn't thought about being worried about 5 classes first semester...thanks for pointing that out :wink:

aplus

New

Post by aplus » Mon May 16, 2011 3:10 pm

Hello everyone. New admit here, definitely attending. I am so excited to be a part of the class of 2014! CU was always my first choice, and I am absolutely ecstatic that I was admitted.

I have lived in Colorado my entire life, and I pretty much lived in Boulder when my wife was attending CU for her undergrad (2005-2009), so feel free to ask me anything you might want to know about the area and/or our state in general that hasn't already been answered here.

Can't wait to meet you all!

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Tue May 17, 2011 3:58 am

LawSchoolPorFavor wrote:so this might sound silly, but what if you don't have a driver's license (I'm from nyc, have a permit for ID purposes)...will getting a permit in CO start residency or does it have to be a license?
You'll want to get a CO ID card. It is only one of many things they look at as ptblazer said, but getting CO ID and paying CO taxes are probably the two most important single factors they look at.
catinthewall wrote:There are slightly different rules for the military (I maintained my TX residency long after I was stationed in TX because of the really nice no-income tax deal). I'll remain employed by the military while I'm in CO too, and all I will have to do is show my orders when applying for CO residency. I absolutely intend on switching to CO by the end of my first year because of my scholarship, but I will be holding on to TX as long as I can for tax purposes.
Just as an FYI, you will still have to register your vehicle here within the same 90 days and file sporadic affidavits to keep your car tax-free with your previous residence. With character and fitness on the horizon, you can no longer conveniently "forget" to look up/do stuff that we all would totally "forget" to do before coming to law school.

Also, with character and fitness in mind, you're going to have to be really careful about what you sign off on to make sure you're not signing anything contradictory in principle to anything else you're doing. The Attorney Regulation Counsel doesn't care if you're a member of the military; you'll have to explain, in detail, why you're not paying local taxes, and will probably want to come up with a better reason than not wanting to pay state personal income taxes as a justification for not paying CO tax while you are clearly living here, aren't moving around such that you would need a permanent home elsewhere, and are getting resident tuition. (The C&F question in CO is, paraphrasing it, "If you have ever failed to pay federal, state, or local taxes for any reason, under penalty of perjury and disqualification for the bar describe in detail each failure to pay, describing specifically all relevant facts, circumstances, and justifications regarding each failure to pay." You can write "I wanted to avoid paying state income tax for as long as possible despite living here and I found a statutory loophole." [the truth - you don't fuck around with character and fitness] but I'd bet they would think that reflects on your character in some way. If it was me, I wouldn't want to worry about that in three years.)
You're registered automatically. Eventually you'll have to activate your CU username/email address (if you haven't already), at which point you can start accepting loans and stuff (they'll email you about this). If you'll be needing a parking permit, figure out when they go on sale (you want Lot 470 or Lot 402; they go on sale sometime in the second half of summer break) and buy one ASAP as they tend to go pretty quick. You'll eventually have to send in a passport-style photo for your student ID (assuming they've not changed the system with their new offices), but you'll hear about that later too.
queenlizzie13 wrote:But I am slightly concerned by the fact that we have 5 classes the first semester...anyone else concerned about this?
Everyone who has gone to CU Law since time immemorial has had five classes the first semester. Fortunately, you're the second incoming class where one of those five is a bullshit class (Leg-Reg), so it's an easier five than it used to be (at least in theory; for us it was Contracts, Torts, Property, Civ Pro, Legal Writing).

-Pufer

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Tue May 17, 2011 7:49 am

pufer, as always, super helpful. too bad you're a 3L and i won't get to thank you personally for all your help! (unless you're sticking around boulder, in which case i owe you several beers :) )

as far as the activating my CU username and email - have other people already done this? and if so, how? i've never done the student loan thing so i'm very anxious about getting it right and getting all my info. otherwise i won't be able to eat or pay rent or any of that fun stuff....
thanks in advance!!
and really, i'm not nearly as neurotic in real life as i'm sure i seem ITT!! :wink:

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Tue May 17, 2011 10:16 am

I haven't done the email/username yet... I feel like we are still missing an email/letter instructing us to do that. I think I'll try playing around with CU's website and see if I can't figure out how to activate mine.

@oldhippie, don't stress about the loans, they are really simple and straight forward. Although the Gradplus loans require a credit check so there is slightly more involved with those. Hopefully my credit is good enough to receive a Gradplus loan... I hate finding and asking someone to cosign loans for me (especially one this size).

Edit: Not sure if everyone has seen this yet (I just noticed it), but I found it to be a great resource for some of the questions as well as some interesting and usefull information. I think it also answers the question about the CU email.

--LinkRemoved--

This can be accessed through the admitted students portal. Called "1L guide to Boulder."

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:39 pm

ptblazer wrote:I haven't done the email/username yet... I feel like we are still missing an email/letter instructing us to do that. I think I'll try playing around with CU's website and see if I can't figure out how to activate mine.

@oldhippie, don't stress about the loans, they are really simple and straight forward. Although the Gradplus loans require a credit check so there is slightly more involved with those. Hopefully my credit is good enough to receive a Gradplus loan... I hate finding and asking someone to cosign loans for me (especially one this size).

Edit: Not sure if everyone has seen this yet (I just noticed it), but I found it to be a great resource for some of the questions as well as some interesting and usefull information. I think it also answers the question about the CU email.

--LinkRemoved--

This can be accessed through the admitted students portal. Called "1L guide to Boulder."
Thanks! :D

I am so tempted to go to the Death Cab concert on August 23rd at the Red Rocks Amphitheater. Unfortunately, it is also the second day of school.

calified

New

Post by calified » Fri May 20, 2011 1:50 pm

Does anyone know when we actually get access to our student loans/how we get access to them? I'm trying to figure out if I'll have it to pay my August rent or not...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”